Dredge Powersuit (Very unbalanced)

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

I hate him because I’m 90% condition damage, so…

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

i disagree TC, everytime ive fought him, he seemed the same as elemental, its honestly not hard to dodge the few red circles on the ground. Seems to me your group is doing something wrong.

Posted by: Cub Discus Gig.2176

Cub Discus Gig.2176

@ahlen The boss is static, it will never change you on the other hand are not: respec and regear. Dont people have one or two different gear sets depending on their spec they currently are?

Thats my advice until they fix it so condition damage is also increased, if you dont want to do this, be the guy manning the bucket….

The boss is easy, keep moving/strafing – you will never need to dodge the bombs as by the time they land and you need to react your almost out the ring.
Keep pulling him to Buckets in a rotational method around the outside edge of map, even as soon as he has been debuffed move him to the next one so it is never off.
Interrupt heals.

Thats it REALLY simple – hardest part of the instance is getting to him…

If you cant manage that, ask whoever installed the game for you to uninstall it.

Killed Again / Jade Sorrow
Underworld
www.valourgaming.com

Posted by: Ender.3508

Ender.3508

Bombs can be reflected for huge damage, everything else can be dodged or simply out ranged. Having a staff ele running the buckets is amazing, because he loses no DPS potential from up top. Everyone else NEEDS a ranged weapon and should only close distance when under some invulnerability. If someone goes down they generally loose aggro, the new aggro target should keep kiting while someone else resses.

Kretna 80 Elementalist
ex – The Midnight Syndicate [Dark]
Maguuma

Posted by: Hufflepuffer.4201

Hufflepuffer.4201

The real question is: why doesn’t condition damage scale as well? It makes me feel useless

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I hate him because I’m 90% condition damage, so…

There is your problem. Conditions are 50% less DPS even in other places than this dredge boss.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Bombs can be reflected for huge damage, everything else can be dodged or simply out ranged. Having a staff ele running the buckets is amazing, because he loses no DPS potential from up top. Everyone else NEEDS a ranged weapon and should only close distance when under some invulnerability. If someone goes down they generally loose aggro, the new aggro target should keep kiting while someone else resses.

Needs?
Mesmer with Greatsword (or Staff)/ Sword+Focus or Sword+Sword or Sword+Pistol works just fine.

I can sit in front of him as long as I’m not the “chase-target” and beat him up, I also get more reflects for bombs and can “avoid” almost all damage.

But, I do agree that everyone should have a ranged weapon available.

Posted by: Rika.7249

Rika.7249

The Dredge Powersuit is easily one of the easiest bosses of all fractals, with the exception of the jellyfish.
Every time you fail, it’s your fault, every single bit of damage is totally avoidable.
The bombs have a max range, you can outrun the bombs the second you see him getting ready to throw them, and the ground-pound-agony ability can be dodged entirely.

Posted by: Ebon.7641

Ebon.7641

The Dredge Powersuit is easily one of the easiest bosses of all fractals, with the exception of the jellyfish.
Every time you fail, it’s your fault, every single bit of damage is totally avoidable.
The bombs have a max range, you can outrun the bombs the second you see him getting ready to throw them, and the ground-pound-agony ability can be dodged entirely.

The damage is absolutely not entirely avoidable at 20+

Sure, he’s easy before that, but once you hit 20 he is totally out of control.

He does this AOE ground stomp that lasts for 4 seconds, so you have to perfectly dodge it TWICE or you get ticks of agony. He uses it far too often, and it doesn’t matter where you are on the map you’re going to get hit by the agony.

The boss is fine <20, but above it he needs some serious tweaking. I have no idea why his ability happens so often or why it lasts so god kitten long (with 2 rounds of nearly unavoidable agony).

Poor gating mechanics at their finest.

(edited by Ebon.7641)

Posted by: Shammy.5846

Shammy.5846

I agree with most of what Ebon is saying about he is out of control above 20 and yes you will even get hit up top if your attacking when he does his agony special. For the most part yes it is still the same ol run in circles and range and pour tactic. But is Agony attack can drop you quick if your Agony resistance is low. I’d say the average player has 10 at lvl 20+ and that basically will put you in a downed state if you gotten damaged by anything else if not kill you. Not to mention he can and will heal super fast if your not careful to.

Posted by: Denim Samurai.2379

Denim Samurai.2379

you can pretty easily heal through the ground quake damage since it should be the only damage you take during the entire fight. If you aren’t already running it yet slot a skill that gives immunity/dispersion. It makes agony a heck of a lot more manageable.

Posted by: Ender.3508

Ender.3508

Needs?
Mesmer with Greatsword (or Staff)/ Sword+Focus or Sword+Sword or Sword+Pistol works just fine.

I can sit in front of him as long as I’m not the “chase-target” and beat him up, I also get more reflects for bombs and can “avoid” almost all damage.

But, I do agree that everyone should have a ranged weapon available.

Well yeah but mesmers get a leap teleport followed by 2s of vulnerability, not exactly the standard for melee classes.

Kretna 80 Elementalist
ex – The Midnight Syndicate [Dark]
Maguuma

Posted by: Kherza.8972

Kherza.8972

Just got this boss, and it was my first time having a group that literally couldn’t do it. After doing this boss so many times, and now seeing what OP is talking about I still agree with the “L2P” ppl. The only reason this boss isn’t doable is if the group is not paying attention (which was the case of my group just now).

They absolutely could not for the life of them dodge the red circles and stand next to the bucket drop. It’s a very simple thing to do but if you can’t bring yourself to pay attention then this boss will beat you every time guaranteed. Not because it’s hard, but because you aren’t paying attention. For those crying it’s too hard I say: Learn the mechanics, give it some practice, and for the love of almighty God (or whatever you worship) please learn to dodge the red circles. Anyway, that’s my 2 cents.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

that boss is also bugged as hell >.>

REAL problem expecially at lvl10 for people without agony resistance:
-If you miss once or twice he heals back to full health (few classes can stop this).

-SOmetimes he decide to switch aggro for no reason to the guy on the switch …..
If that happens the route change means a free heal for him.

-He kills the guy on the switch with invisible attacks

-evading his agony attack into BOMBS without energy left for rolling is quite annoying, mostly because if anyone dies its not much worse that wiping, considerinh he will heal himself.

-if you get downed once you’ll die from bombs/agony attack -.-

This and swamp with lag are the worst fractal -.- that can wipe a decentgroup unless they luckily have the bappropriate classes in the party (and considering the fractal lvls issue it doesn t happen so often).

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

People seem to be ignoring the problems pointed out with his balance. They are making this a L2p argument when that is not the argument at all.

let me explain.

Condition Damage = Useless.

Some Classes = Pretty ineffective.

Mesmer = Ruins this boss.

He is not balanced. Some classes can DPS the crap out of him. Other are absolutely freaking useless against him and actually make him take longer to kill.

If you had a party of all mesmers he would be dead in 2 minutes.

If you had all necros he would probably take well over 30 minutes to an hour depending on their builds.

The fire buckets either need to do more damage or he needs to be balanced for other classes. This is the problem.

Not to mention that mesmers and their portal and other abilities are really great in some other dungeons. So are thieves.

Its like fractals rewards you for playing some of the classes. This is why some of the dungeons needs to be rebalanced. You should not be rewarded for picking a class unless other dungeons reward you for different classes. The problem with a lot of these dungeons is they reward for picking thief, mesmer, or ele.

They tend to punish you for picking necro, engineer, or ranger.

(edited by Zoul.1087)

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

On D1 it’s a fairly easy, though in my opinion interesting and well designed encounter.

-Different parts of the group must do different things
-both parts must be synchronized and coordinated
-the group that is pulling the monster to the lava points so the switch man can drop lava on him all need to individually be on top of their game and not die and not wander off of the line he needs to take so the lava misses
-people must be moving and dodging and dealing dps all at the same time

If you are fighting the ice elemental version, you also need to be removing conditions from people who get chilled.

That said, the dredge suit on difficulty 2 or higher is not only much harder than the ice elemental, it is much harder than any other fractal at difficulty 2, by several orders of magnitude.

This is due primarily to him randomly aggroing the non attacking guy on the switches, combined with the double bombs throw that can lead you to die even in a dodge-dodge because he can throw bombs to where you are dodging while you are still in the middle of the dodge. If all the bombs came out at once you’d simply look where was clear and dodge that way. But what happens is he throws out one wave than half a second/second later another wave, as you are already dodging.

I kind of like that it’s really hard to rezz people while still appropriately maneuvering the boss from point to point (no gaurantee he won’t go aggro the rezzer) but if someone dies randomly due to bombs dropping on their head mid dodge and you can’t rezz them, that gives you a stiff uphill climb.

Posted by: Oghier.7419

Oghier.7419

This is due primarily to him randomly aggroing the non attacking guy on the switches…

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve just hit Fracs 11, and haven’t seen him yet. Sounds… fun One question, though – is the guy on the switches doing DPS? It might be worth it to have the pourer only tag the critter once, and only near the end, to reduce the odds of this kind of disruption.

Snit Dirtnap (Thief)
Ratbag Dogsticker (Guardian)
…Yak’s Bend

Esplen.3940

that boss is also bugged as hell >.>

REAL problem expecially at lvl10 for people without agony resistance:
-If you miss once or twice he heals back to full health (few classes can stop this).
Heal is not THAT big, and all classes have some interrupts, so if you chain them and don’t just waste the Defiant-CC, you’ll be fine. Poison also helps.

-SOmetimes he decide to switch aggro for no reason to the guy on the switch …..
If that happens the route change means a free heal for him.
If he faces the ramp, quickly have the lever-guy jump down and then have someone else run up. If you’re on VOIP or coordinating in some form or way, this is a simple swap.

-He kills the guy on the switch with invisible attacks
They aren’t invisible. Sometimes the bombs are on the upper area, but are somewhat hidden from their visibility, and the groundpounds hit everyone, everywhere. Make use of your camera and scroll it to always face the boss to make sure you don’t get hit by these things.

-evading his agony attack into BOMBS without energy left for rolling is quite annoying, mostly because if anyone dies its not much worse that wiping, considerinh he will heal himself.
Buy an Orrian Truffle and Meat Stew or run quick-mobility skills. A lot of classes have methods of having extra mobility/rolls.

-if you get downed once you’ll die from bombs/agony attack -.-
Again, not true, most classes have some way of moving, and the team should be paying attention for the res. If the team isn’t paying attention… you shouldn’t be doing this past D9.

This and swamp with lag are the worst fractal -.- that can wipe a decentgroup unless they luckily have the bappropriate classes in the party (and considering the fractal lvls issue it doesn t happen so often).

A lot of these problems are, again, lack of understanding.

As for Swamp, coordination… people can jump over traps, vines, walls, and simply knowing what problems occur where means allocating resources to the correct area.

Spider is not always the simplest even though it is one of the closest, having one of the 2 extra’s “help” and either pull them off or boost the person across helps.

*The north middle one seems easy, but it spawns knockdown wasps which chain, so have someone with stability there or give them swiftness and have them jump over the wall (if it appears).

North right requires a lot of condition removal to get rid of cripples.

*North left requires jumps or someone to help clear the mobs in some cases, otherwise you should be fine just rushing it.

Drake one can be rambo’ed.

Left one is relatively easy, but should have someone who is capable of jumping over the walls if they appear, because they do appear often.

*: These people should coordinate the countdown unless a Mesmer is in the group.

I’ve gotten to 18 with 0 AR even though I have 3 rings and am working to getting my Gift of Ascension for my Capacitor. AR is, until 20+, just a bonus. In fact, getting AR would kitten you if you rushed it early because you wouldn’t dodge properly when you should be dodging regardless. Once you figure out the dodging patterns, you’ll be fine.

Final note:
For the Dredge Suit, stomp —→ bombs, there’s plenty of time to move out as he doesn’t throw the bombs while stomping. Unless you get unlucky in the RNG and walk into more bombs, you should be fine, but again, that means you have no swiftness and are not a class that gets movement speed boosts, which is very limited. Also, reflects help out, which is something you should coordinate before the boss (reflects and immobilizes).

When I do levers, I run an immobilize so I’ll pull lever, jump down and immobilize.
When I do dps, I run an immobilize so when I hear the lever, I’ll jump forward and immobilize.

Either way, if I’m going against dredge suit, I run as many reflects as I can (minus Asuran Defensive Golem).

Zoul.1087

“Either way, if I’m going against dredge suit, I run as many reflects as I can (minus Asuran Defensive Golem).”

Again people don’t understand the class balance is terrible for this dungeon.

Mesmer = easy mode.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I fought him recently. I was scared at first because of all the hype surrounding him, but he wasn’t that hard. All we needed to do was simply Dodge ONCE when he used his bomb attack… That’s all. The rest of the fight was just as easy as the Ice Elemental boss. Is he harder at higher fractals?

Esplen.3940

“Either way, if I’m going against dredge suit, I run as many reflects as I can (minus Asuran Defensive Golem).”

Mesmer = easy mode.

Annnnnd… Guardians, Elementalists, Thief, Warriors, and Rangers can also reflect. WHO DUN THOUGHT O’ DAT ONE?!

Also, pretty much all of them are better than Temporal Curtain reflect as it doesn’t hit anything.

Distortion reflect lasts 4 seconds at most and only affects bombs aimed at you, Mimic would be really awkward, Mirror is the same as Distortion, and so you’re left with Feedback and Phantasmal Warden (which can’t move).

Zoul.1087

Mesmer = easy mode.

Annnnnd… Guardians, Elementalists, Thief, Warriors, and Rangers can also reflect. WHO DUN THOUGHT O’ DAT ONE?!

Also, pretty much all of them are better than Temporal Curtain reflect as it doesn’t hit anything.

Distortion reflect lasts 4 seconds at most and only affects bombs aimed at you, Mimic would be really awkward, Mirror is the same as Distortion, and so you’re left with Feedback and Phantasmal Warden (which can’t move).

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_warrior_skills

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_warrior_traits

There is only one trait that has reflect.
Missile Deflection Reflect missiles whenever you are blocking.

(which requires you to use a shield which means that eliminates one ranged weapon)

now read mesmer ability:
Freeback:
Create a dome around your foes that reflects projectiles.

You are right its just the same if one bomb bounces off a character who is blocking vs surrounding the entire monster and making him eat bombs for 6s vs 3s for block.

In other words its not viable to even do this with a warrior since he has to be hit with the bombs.

Oh and lets not forget mesmer traits.

Create a feedback bubble while reviving an ally. (10s recharge)

(you do not even have to worry about bombs when you are reviving people in this dungeon as a mesmer if traited right)

Regardless my point was that necromancer and engineer are the weakest and the dungeon was not well balanced. You have not countered that point

WHO DUN THOUGHT O’ DAT ONE?!

(edited by Zoul.1087)

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Few classes can stop it solo, any group should be able to do so quite easily as long as you maintain control of your stun immunity stacks. If every person in the group brings a single stun to the fight the boss should never ever heal, since you’ll just drop any kind of interrupt on him when he tries.

Zoul.1087

Few classes can stop it solo, any group should be able to do so quite easily as long as you maintain control of your stun immunity stacks. If every person in the group brings a single stun to the fight the boss should never ever heal, since you’ll just drop any kind of interrupt on him when he tries.

2 Mesmer could probably handle the dredge boss very well.

Esplen.3940

(which requires you to use a shield which means that eliminates one ranged weapon)

It reflects everything for the duration because the first one doesn’t deal damage so it doesn’t “block” it just reflects it, and all the others near it. If you have a coordinated team, you can tell your team to group on you while he waves his arms (you should be close anyways for the kiting) and then start blocking. It’s not like most people actually weapon swap between 2 ranged weapons at that part.

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

The ground and pound is far worse than the bombs.

Esplen.3940

The ground and pound is far worse than the bombs.

Then roll… and buy Orrian Truffle and Meat Stew.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

Mesmer = easy mode.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_warrior_skills

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_warrior_traits

now read mesmer ability:
Freeback:
Create a dome around your foes that reflects projectiles.

You are right its just the same if one bomb bounces off a character who is blocking vs surrounding the entire monster and making him eat bombs for 6s vs 3s for block.

In other words its not viable to even do this with a warrior since he has to be hit with the bombs.

Oh and lets not forget mesmer traits.

Create a feedback bubble while reviving an ally. (10s recharge)

(you do not even have to worry about bombs when you are reviving people in this dungeon as a mesmer if traited right)

Regardless my point was that necromancer and engineer are the weakest and the dungeon was not well balanced. You have not countered that point

WHO DUN THOUGHT O’ DAT ONE?!

While perhaps necromancers are not altogether “optimal” for dredge, they’re pretty kitten good at snowblind, volcanic, and cliffside. Enough to the point that i’d consider taking them over a few other classes given the options between the two.
As for the dredge suit. Make your necro pull the levers. Then he wont need to be hitting the boss anyway. And in the event that it screws up he will be the first to know, and will be more than prepared to give the boss a fear to cancel the heal should the issue arise.

While reflection is blatantly strong against this boss it’s just as strong against other bosses which I never see come up ever. Hell on lupicus phase 3 a guardian can chunk him for over 70k damage by reflection walling his AoE. Yet ive never seen anyone praise guardians in that fight for anything other than their tank prowess.

There’s also a myriad of bosses that have bomb or reflectable projectiles. And bosses that spew out conditions like crazy, which are basically hard countered by most tanky ele builds, or necro’s, but poop all over classes without good condition removals.

tl;dr
yes necro’s are perhaps not optimal because of how condition damage interacts with dredge. But there are plenty of other places where they shine, both in and out of fractals. That’s why team-composition is important (despite the manifesto of “you can play with any team and get it done!”)

Esplen.3940

While perhaps necromancers are not altogether “optimal” for dredge, they’re pretty kitten good at snowblind, volcanic, and cliffside. Enough to the point that i’d consider taking them over a few other classes given the options between the two.
As for the dredge suit. Make your necro pull the levers. Then he wont need to be hitting the boss anyway. And in the event that it screws up he will be the first to know, and will be more than prepared to give the boss a fear to cancel the heal should the issue arise.

While reflection is blatantly strong against this boss it’s just as strong against other bosses which I never see come up ever. Hell on lupicus phase 3 a guardian can chunk him for over 70k damage by reflection walling his AoE. Yet ive never seen anyone praise guardians in that fight for anything other than their tank prowess.

There’s also a myriad of bosses that have bomb or reflectable projectiles. And bosses that spew out conditions like crazy, which are basically hard countered by most tanky ele builds, or necro’s, but poop all over classes without good condition removals.

tl;dr
yes necro’s are perhaps not optimal because of how condition damage interacts with dredge. But there are plenty of other places where they shine, both in and out of fractals. That’s why team-composition is important (despite the manifesto of “you can play with any team and get it done!”)

Reflect versus Raving Asura to prevent Agony.

But I didn’t know you can reflect Lupicus AoE.

Posted by: Denim Samurai.2379

Denim Samurai.2379

Just wanted to add that engineer offhand shield can reflect, too. And from experience I can say bosses DO take agony damage from their own attacks.

Posted by: TheAngryLuddite.1834

TheAngryLuddite.1834

I’ve got to agree with OP.

Anet, you said in making this game you looked at everything and said, “Well, is it fun.” And what wasn’t was thrown out the window. With this boss, you’ve ditched that ethic.

It’s my second time completely failing on this boss – and this time with a competent party. We spent a good two hours going back and forth on its health. That’s with a decent counterclockwise lava pit strategy.

It’s cheap as hell. Never mind the fact that the dungeon preceding it is a monotonous pain. When you combine a boss that has an enormous health pool that regenerates any damage within milliseconds of initiating the healing phase, with constant AOE one-hit kills and a wonky vulnerability mechanic (the lava pots), all you’re left with is a frustrating mess.

I’m not typically one to complain about stuff like this, but this boss feels like the worst of MMOs shoved into a small, contained space.

Fix this. It’s simply not fun, and it calls into question spending any more time with the game at all.

Posted by: Black Wolf.7348

Black Wolf.7348

you bumped a month old topic to let everyone know that you and your so called competent party dont know how to do this boss ???

drege boss is very easy from level 1-9 and gets harder when you add agony to his attacks at level 10+, however, with a real competent party he is easy.

the boss wount heal if your able to keep putting lava on him. if you let the lava effect disappear its your teams fault because you got plenty of time to walk from 1 lava location to another.

you just need to learn how to fight this boss, because right now you and your party dont know how to do that.

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

I’ve got to agree with OP.

Anet, you said in making this game you looked at everything and said, “Well, is it fun.” And what wasn’t was thrown out the window. With this boss, you’ve ditched that ethic.

It’s my second time completely failing on this boss – and this time with a competent party. We spent a good two hours going back and forth on its health. That’s with a decent counterclockwise lava pit strategy.

It’s cheap as hell. Never mind the fact that the dungeon preceding it is a monotonous pain. When you combine a boss that has an enormous health pool that regenerates any damage within milliseconds of initiating the healing phase, with constant AOE one-hit kills and a wonky vulnerability mechanic (the lava pots), all you’re left with is a frustrating mess.

I’m not typically one to complain about stuff like this, but this boss feels like the worst of MMOs shoved into a small, contained space.

Fix this. It’s simply not fun, and it calls into question spending any more time with the game at all.

First off, this thread is over a month old. What are you doing, son?

Second off, what the hell are you actually doing to be killed on this guy? It’s as if you played through the game with your head in the clouds, not paying attention to “defiant”, never looking at buffs, never using evades and just facetanking things while you auto them. Honestly, it’s as easy as: kite to bucket, pull bucket, auto. If he does the most broadcasted attack of all time, dodge it. If you miss a bucket, interrupt him. It’s that simple. How do you kill Alpha or Kholer if you are unable to dodge?

Mind telling us what you wiped on instead of reviving a month old thread to complain because you’re mad? Are you suggesting everything in the game should be doable by someone who never learned how to evade attacks? How about we just skip straight to the end of Jade Maw and give you your stuff then and there?

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

The damage is absolutely not entirely avoidable at 20+

Sure, he’s easy before that, but once you hit 20 he is totally out of control.

He does this AOE ground stomp that lasts for 4 seconds, so you have to perfectly dodge it TWICE or you get ticks of agony. He uses it far too often, and it doesn’t matter where you are on the map you’re going to get hit by the agony.

The boss is fine <20, but above it he needs some serious tweaking. I have no idea why his ability happens so often or why it lasts so god kitten long (with 2 rounds of nearly unavoidable agony).

Poor gating mechanics at their finest.

WAIT WAIT WAIT, you mean you actually have to be GOOD at dodging to avoid damage at 20+? HOLY KITTENS BATMAN NERF IT NOW. This is the highest-end content in game, it shouldn’t be HARD. I shouldn’t have to be TALENTED to run 20+ fractals, let me zerg through this and get my tokens ASAP.

zzz baddies trying to ruin the only part of the game that is CHALLENGING so they can zerg rush their gear.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Posted by: TheAngryLuddite.1834

TheAngryLuddite.1834

Wow, so much aggression, sarcasm, and elitism.

Thanks for reminding me why I hate forums.

As for why I rezzed an old topic, I found it through a simple Google search.

My bad, apparently.

(edited by TheAngryLuddite.1834)

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Not a hard boss at all tbh.
The dredge fractal itself is stupid and very lazy design – unlimited mob spawns to make things difficult……………absolutely idiotic, not even arguable, it’s just soooooooooooooo stoooopid………..