Dung Armor: Kick in the Teeth

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Megido.5061

Megido.5061

((I’m unsure if this issue has been addressed/acknowledged but honestly with all the QQing in this forum I don’t think it’s hurting anybody))

This thread isn’t about dungeon armors being too expensive. Take your tl;dr somewhere else.

Two (three) issues here:

1) With the recent patch the AC token values on the armors were lowered slightly to combat speed-clearing or whatever. However, these new values weren’t applied to the remaining seven sets, which is a bug ‘screw you’ to anyone who doesn’t want AC gear for x y and z reasons because they have to run more dungeons. I have yet to see any justification for this and will assume it’s a bug or human error until proven otherwise.

2) Certain dungeons offer stat arrangements that can’t be acquired elsewhere. The problem here is if that stat setup is on an armor skin you don’t like, you’re sol because you’re going to have to effectively run enough dungeons for two sets as opposed to someone else whose skin has their desired stats available. For example, the AC armors offer power, vitality and toughness as a potential stat group, an arrangement that is unavailable via crafted armors or uniques (rurik, yakington etc) gained in the open world. Other dungeons, such as TA or Arah, do not offer this combo. As a control warrior whose optimal stats were previously mentioned, this is quite a setback.

3) ((not specific to dungeons but it’s worth mentioning anyways)) Being unable to transmute skins outside your armor type is pretty limiting in the cosmetic department. As a sylvari I’m quite enamored with the medium/light skins due to their more extravagant foliage while the heavy armors are lacking in that department (protip: don’t bother telling me you disagree, it’s subjective and your opinion doesn’t mean anything). meaning I’d have to reroll a new toon to enjoy something as trivial as an armor skin. One could argue that I should simply get the hell over it, but in a game where cosmetics & skins are marketed via micro transactions over power, you’d think anet would have these kind of options paramount. It doesn’t take a skilled programmer to drum up an “extra-fine transmutation stone” to make this happen.

Sorry your eyes have to be subjected to three heaving text bricks. You poor, unfortunate soul.
Discuss?

Posted by: omgwtflolbbl.7142

omgwtflolbbl.7142

Number 3 is a pretty big deal for me actually. If you could transmute across different armor types, I’d have probably gone ahead and actually started working towards making myself the Kudzu for my Warrior coupled with some TA armor for the whole nature theme (that, and I rolled a pink/green setup for the longest time anyways). But since it doesn’t really fit that well with most heavy armor, I ended deciding against it.

Posted by: Aiden.6483

Aiden.6483

I fully agree. these are all issues that need addressing, but not as first priority imho.

Mediocre multiclasser,
PvP & WvW roaming

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

number 2 is the reason i’m running caudecus manor. apparently the only way of getting healing power and condition damage on a lv80 exotic is through that. shaman armor? ha, if only that existed on lv80 exotics.

number 3 would kill the class identity. a warrior in robes or a thief in tanky plate armor are just absurd. it also gets in the way of PvP, since you can’t identify the class based on armor anymore. what guarantees that this warrior-looking dude isn’t actually a super-squishy ele? for all i know it could be a guardian.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

(edited by BrunoBRS.5178)

Posted by: omino.4302

omino.4302

Skins are kitten ‘medium’ and loots kitten, nothing to see here. I ain’t played in over a week, kitten loot don’t make me happy and neither does kittenkins, Who the hell decided all dungeon skins are big ugly coats? class specific armour pl0xy

(edited by omino.4302)

BrunoBRS.5178

also, lol “dung armor”.

Posted by: Megido.5061

Megido.5061

Seeing as the patch didn’t address or do so much as acknowledge any of these ‘issues,’ I assume these points are relevant and will therefore take the liberty of addressing some concerns.

>skin freedom ruins PvP
In doesnt, in fact. From playing roughly a year’s worth of pvp in Runes of Magic where transmutation isn’t limited via armor type I know full well that there are several factors as to why this doesn’t cause issues.
1) If you’re unaware who you’re going to engage with before the first hit you’re probably dead anyways.
2) You can target someone well before they’re on you to know their class
3) You can tell via the weapon selection
4) You can tell via the buffs/particle effects they possess
5) Even if they surprise you the first time, there’s no way you’ll forget who they are on subsequent encounters.
6) Using armor as a class visual cue isn’t a good idea in the first place.

>Class Specific Armor
It already exists, actually. The Heavy armor from HotW is specified as Guardian/Warrior required. Granted, the specification is unnecessary give the current system but I guess it’s a good counterexample??

>‘haha u wrote dung armor’
Sigh.

(edited by Megido.5061)

Posted by: They.9516

They.9516

All of the human medium sets look like trash for males, cross transmutation would be so awesome, I love some of the light/heavy armor sets.

BrunoBRS.5178

Seeing as the patch didn’t address or do so much as acknowledge any of these ‘issues,’ I assume these points are relevant and will therefore take the liberty of addressing some concerns.

>skin freedom ruins PvP
In doesnt, in fact. From playing roughly a year’s worth of pvp in Runes of Magic where transmutation isn’t limited via armor type I know full well that there are several factors as to why this doesn’t cause issues.
1) If you’re unaware who you’re going to engage with before the first hit you’re probably dead anyways.
2) You can target someone well before they’re on you to know their class
3) You can tell via the weapon selection
4) You can tell via the buffs/particle effects they possess
5) Even if they surprise you the first time, there’s no way you’ll forget who they are on subsequent encounters.
6) Using armor as a class visual cue isn’t a good idea in the first place.

you seem to completely ignore that almost nothing of what you said works on WvW, given that you often have to spot enemies beyond targetting reach. but let’s talk individually.

1- that’s the point. you can’t tell an ele from a guardian except for the armor. armor profiling lets you judge people quickly, and know what to expect before the battle even starts.

2- targetting distance, and having to click on the target and look for the small icon on the UI to be sure which class you’re facing is not only very counterintuitive, but goes against ANet’s “play the game, not the UI” motto.

3- again the guardian and ele example. both of them can use scepter and focus, or a staff. hell, a mesmer can use a scepter and focus, a staff AND a greatsword.

4- you can only tell that after you’re already in battle. by then you’ve already made the bad move of misjudging, and now you’re desperately trying to fix it.

5- yeah, i’ll never forget you, “green invader”!

6- why not? it works wonders, and you haven’t provided any evidence that it isn’t a good idea. i, on the other hand, have been pointing out how NOT being able to judge via armor is a bad idea.