Dungeon Character

Dungeon Character

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: The Rogue.1328

The Rogue.1328

I am thinking of making a character who I will use mainly for pve and dungeons, but I don’t know what build or class to use. I know most people say guardian, but that’s really all they say about the topic. I am asking for a build/class that you would actively look for when making a party, or have someone switch to that class for the dungeon. I want to be a useful dungeon player, and don’t want to drag my party members down. I don’t really care what role I fill, or what build I use, I just want a build that everyone likes when dungeoning

I am the official recruiter for Badgers Against Dragons, So PM me if you want a place
Check out our recruitment thread here
And our website here

Dungeon Character

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Necro’s have a hard time in dungeons, but everything else is useful. Rangers have a bad rep though, and even if you become good you might find it hard avoiding getting kicked. Of the really useful ones, Mesmer is probably in the shortest supply, but it is not the most straightforward class to learn to play well.

On the guardian page there is a stickies thread for dps guardian for PvE. If you want to go guardian use your levelling up time to decide whether you prefer hammer or sword/focus and use the appropriate build.

Dungeon Character

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I suggest an ele. You can never go wrong with another ele (unless said ele is using a terrible build / not using conj weapons / can’t dodge).

If you make a warrior, beware of groups with already 2 warriors on the team. Whenever there’s more than 2, there’s a very high chance someone will use the same freaking banner as you despite numerous attempts to get it across via party chat that you will be doing either BoD or BoS. Pugs don’t care. Even if they do care, they’ll use one of the 2 useless banners instead of something practical like Shake it off/OMM/Signet of might.

Dungeon Character

Posted by: The Rogue.1328

The Rogue.1328

What about a medium class in a dungeon, which one would be bet out of those?

I am the official recruiter for Badgers Against Dragons, So PM me if you want a place
Check out our recruitment thread here
And our website here

Dungeon Character

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I’d go with thief in that case. Ranger looks fun, but thief seems to be one of the most useful classes all-around. I’m personally considering making one of these two… but I’m not sure because thief seems like it’d serve its purpose but ranger GS / sword+warhorn both look fun to play :|

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Dungeon Character

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

@OP

• Warrior is a really safe bet. They are wellcomed everywhere and 1 warrior per group is almost a must have, but avoid parties with more than 2 warriors already as it has been said.
  • Guardian. Too many good tools to help out people meanwhile dealing a decent amount of damage.
  • Post-patch Ele is an awesome carry class, but they rely on the group heavily in my opinion. Everyone and their grandmother want to kill you, due to the fact you are as squishy as possible and deal the most damage, so unless you are a god with ele and dont have a good party, you will have a hard time. But being the most OP pve class worth it!
  • Thief is an overall good choice too. Perma aoe blind, spamable blast, high stealth uptime. It’s handy most of the time and must have at certain dungeons (CM, TA, Arah, oh man those skips are godsend).

@Miku
Go for ranger, than the community would have its 3rd ranger who can play the class. :’D

Dungeon Character

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

A ranger is underrated in dungeons. Went and did all 3 AC paths last night with 2 rangers, a necro and a mesmer (I went warrior)

AC 1: Tore down the Howling King before the adds even spawned
AC 2: Took out the Ghost eater in the first trap
AC 3: Killed Rumblus before he called down his first ceiling collapse

Basically it’s all about everyone knowing what they’re doing. Party composition isn’t quite as important as some ppl make out

Dungeon Character

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

A ranger is underrated in dungeons. Went and did all 3 AC paths last night with 2 rangers, a necro and a mesmer (I went warrior)

Basically it’s all about everyone knowing what they’re doing. Party composition isn’t quite as important as some ppl make out

AC … how surprising example …

Dungeon Character

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

but you can do that with 2 eles alone…? AC is a horrible example since everything dies instantly now

Dungeon Character

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

For Dungeons

Elementalist
- Light Hammer + S/X might stacking build. Good DPS, good might stacking
- Staff. Best DPS, give 100% fury

Warrior
- EA Pure Axe. Good Party buff and good DPS
- GS + A/M. Best DPS, but less party buff, when you already have a EA Warrior
- Phalanx Warrior for might stacking. Best when you pug, but useless if you already have might stacking.

Guardian
- GS + Sw/F or GS + Hammer. Bring a lot of blind, aegis, reflect to keep the party alive and at 90% HP to boost the damage of the party in rough situation.

Thief
- Usually Sword/Pistol will allow you to survive when the party stack, other than that the thief usually bring stealth to skip and vulnerability (pretty good with the FGS for almost instant 25 vulnerability).

Mesmer
- Sw/Sw, Sw/Pistol or Sw/Focus. Any 2 of those 3 set are good. Mesmer usually bring utilities but good Mesmer can bring a good amount of DPS. Master the art of Feedback for some powerful damage on certain boss. Mesmer are the best to stack a boss (focus pull) at a specific place.

Engineer and Rangers can do good, but they are less popular. On engineer make sure you can put a lot of vulnerability, while on ranger bring frost spirit and spotter.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Dungeon Character

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

I would say Elementalist:
Fun
Best DPS
Pug Savior
Fashion Master

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Dungeon Character

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

@OP

• Warrior is a really safe bet. They are wellcomed everywhere and 1 warrior per group is almost a must have, but avoid parties with more than 2 warriors already as it has been said.
  • Guardian. Too many good tools to help out people meanwhile dealing a decent amount of damage.
  • Post-patch Ele is an awesome carry class, but they rely on the group heavily in my opinion. Everyone and their grandmother want to kill you, due to the fact you are as squishy as possible and deal the most damage, so unless you are a god with ele and dont have a good party, you will have a hard time. But being the most OP pve class worth it!
  • Thief is an overall good choice too. Perma aoe blind, spamable blast, high stealth uptime. It’s handy most of the time and must have at certain dungeons (CM, TA, Arah, oh man those skips are godsend).

@Miku
Go for ranger, than the community would have its 3rd ranger who can play the class. :’D

There are quite a few guys who know how to play rangers my friend.

toxic since 2012

Dungeon Character

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

For Dungeons

Guardian
- GS + Sw/F or GS + Hammer. Bring a lot of blind, aegis, reflect to keep the party alive and at 90% HP to boost the damage of the party in rough situation.

Question about GS+Hammer.
What’s the point of this convination? The idea is to camp on hammer right? Is GS just for pulls?

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

Dungeon Character

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

I really disagree with Thief. PUGs never know how to utilise stealth and just run out of Smoke Screen/SR when I’m trash skipping.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Dungeon Character

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

Question about GS+Hammer.
What’s the point of this convination? The idea is to camp on hammer right? Is GS just for pulls?

GS and hammer don’t synergize as well as GS and S/F, so I don’t think it’s not a must-have. Taking GS would probably be mainly for the pulls and blind.

If the pull isn’t as important you may get more out of S/F for more blind rotations. Second weapon can be useful at the start of an encounter for blinds/blocks, and later on after some things have started dying and protection is no longer as useful.

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.