Dungeon Difficulty levels: Story, Explore, Heroic.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: TheRiddick.1976

TheRiddick.1976

I have been thinking about this recently after reading the forums with the players who seem upset with the difficulty of the dungeons as is. my solution to this is adding 3 difficulty levels instead of the 2 presently available. Those tiers would be as follows:

Tier oneStory: This would stay just as is and not change in difficulty. maybe a few tweeks to make it a bit easier for those just wanting lore and story info but leave it a bit challenging.

Tier twoChampion: This would be the explorable version of the dungeon. but it would be toned down a bit for those who want the gear but have poor gear themselves. this would be a dungeon for the casual gamer… short paths… as is now. The loot would be level appropriate masterwork until the last boss at which time you get a rare.

Tier three -Legendary: Make the dungeon longer, more boss fights… less junk mobs. Make the difficulty high. These would be dungeons for those who are highly into raid content and have rare to exotic armor. The drops for this dungeon would be level appropriate rares and the last boss would reward an exotic.

This allows all levels of gamers to be satisfied. Both explore and Heroic would still drop their tokens so it doesn’t mean that those who are casual cant get the gear. this would also be a great boon to such things as crafting, legendary weapons, the market, and endgame replayability.

Let me know what you think of the idea… Its far from polished so add things that you think could help and lets get an idea of something to hand to Anet instead of only complaints… thank you all.

(edited by TheRiddick.1976)

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

Please don’t use the term ‘Heroic’, Hardmode, and then I will agree with you :P

TheRiddick.1976

Any suggestions on another name for it… i cant think of any.

Posted by: Esturk.2183

Esturk.2183

Story, Champion and Legendary modes

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

They rather should add additional skins for Hardmode instead of granting better drops. GW2 is not about stats and it should stay that way. Dungeons mainly done because people want the skins, therefor a new and more epic skin for Hardmode should be incentive enough to do it.

Actually, I would use the current Explorable Skins as Hardmode Skins and add some more generic skins for the New Explorable Mode.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

TheRiddick.1976

@Esturk… I like those titles i think they fit into the gw2 feel too. It wont let me edit my post for some reason so I will look into doing that later. great suggestions.

@ nachtnebel Did you mean the armor set that you get from getting the tokens? I would still prefer the tokens be dropped as a reward. I like the progression that comes from that method. However each dungeon having a new set only achieved from the Hard mode version… that would be stud! even if they were just skins.. like the heritage skins you got from playing GW1.

Great suggestions guys keep it comin! lets give Anet a plethora of ideas to dig from!

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Yes, I was referring to the Token Armor Set.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

TheRiddick.1976

thanks for the clarification.

Posted by: Jam.4521

Jam.4521

I definetely agree, there are some paths I would love a harder version of.

BOOM

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

I have been thinking about this recently after reading the forums with the players who seem upset with the difficulty of the dungeons as is. my solution to this is adding 3 difficulty levels instead of the 2 presently available. Those tiers would be as follows:

Tier oneStory: This would stay just as is and not change in difficulty. maybe a few tweeks to make it a bit easier for those just wanting lore and story info but leave it a bit challenging.

Tier twoChampion: This would be the explorable version of the dungeon. but it would be toned down a bit for those who want the gear but have poor gear themselves. this would be a dungeon for the casual gamer… short paths… as is now. The loot would be level appropriate masterwork until the last boss at which time you get a rare.

Tier three -Legendary: Make the dungeon longer, more boss fights… less junk mobs. Make the difficulty high. These would be dungeons for those who are highly into raid content and have rare to exotic armor. The drops for this dungeon would be level appropriate rares and the last boss would reward an exotic.

This allows all levels of gamers to be satisfied. Both explore and Heroic would still drop their tokens so it doesn’t mean that those who are casual cant get the gear. this would also be a great boon to such things as crafting, legendary weapons, the market, and endgame replayability.

Let me know what you think of the idea… Its far from polished so add things that you think could help and lets get an idea of something to hand to Anet instead of only complaints… thank you all.

The problem I see is the difference between your Tier 2 and Tier 3 proposed solutions. You still have story, which is and should be appropriate for casual gamers. However, I dont think even tier 2 should be tailored towards CASUAL gamers. Although it should be completed with mediocre/bad gear I AGREE, I think the difficulty should still be something significant. Otherwise, you’re going to end up with Tier1(casual), Tier2(casual), Tier3(elite players). There needs to be a middle ground.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

T1 (story) – Balanced toward basic DE difficulty. Sorry – its more for Story and it will only get worse finding group for obscure SM dungeons as time passes. I would be game for making them solo/duo friendly.

T2 – Basic explore we have now. – Same rewards

T3 – More difficult explore mode with Waypoint locks – No Graveyard zerging at all. This would reward basic explore 60 tokens as well as 1/6 “cosmetic” random upgrades. This would allow players to make the current explore armor more unique akin to the weapons. For instance instead of just the weapons glowing at night for AC, if you collect all 6 AC pieces all you turn into a ghostly form of your race, and so one.

Posted by: Nitas.4960

Nitas.4960

They rather should add additional skins for Hardmode instead of granting better drops. GW2 is not about stats and it should stay that way. Dungeons mainly done because people want the skins, therefor a new and more epic skin for Hardmode should be incentive enough to do it.

Actually, I would use the current Explorable Skins as Hardmode Skins and add some more generic skins for the New Explorable Mode.

Totally agree! Best idea I heard so far

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I feel the dungeons are currently already too short, and are made longer due to mobs with high healthpools. I wouldn’t mind if they simply made better use of all the rooms in the dungeon, and made the foes in them less strong. You’d still end up with an equally long experience, but it would be slightly less tedious.

And then if you really want to add a hardmode, make the mobs stronger and the rewards better. Like rare skins for example.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Story > Veteran > Champion mode

Just who the hell do you think I am!?