Dungeon Finder Sorely Needed

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Fredthebeard.1870

Fredthebeard.1870

TL DR:

A dungeon finder needs to be implemented to take full use of the cross server technology and reduce party forming times from 1-2 hrs to 5-30 mins.

Normally, having a lot of end game content would be a great thing, but without the use of a Dungeon Finder (much like the Match finder in SPvP) to consolidate the player base for that specific area of content, less players will participate in that area of gameplay.

Long Version
Now I’ve been told that the idea for a Dungeon Finder was put to rest, but i’d ask the developers to reconsider.

Take into account:
The game just came out almost a month ago, and already many players are complaining about the dungeon system and no endgame. While I personally have to qualms with the “grindy” nature of gathering cosmetic dungeon gear, I do have a problem with the requirements or cost of each piece.

For example, in order to receive the chestpiece from Crucible of Eternity Explorer mode, you need to run the Dungeon either once a day for 11 days or 16 times in one day. Either of these methods would be fine, if it were possible to find groups.

On average, finding (starting) a group for any of the less popular dungeons ( SE, HotW, CoE, CM) takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours with the average amount of time being around an hour to two hours. This means staying in Lions Arch (or the dungeon’s area) for that amount of time and Spamming "LFG "or “LFM”. Not only is the current system influencing LFG spamming, but it is keeping players who would normally enjoy doing dungeons from not even attempting them because of time (group finding) constraints.

Furthermore:
Since the cross server group and instance based game are new to the MMO world, it is normal for a period of adjustment as the developers figure out what works and what doesn’t. As we witnessed with the MMO “The Secret World” they too had a cross-server system, and quickly realized that with 7 or more end tier dungeons, it was necessary to add a group finder to reduce group forming times from hour long fiascoes to shorter amounts of time.

This too, is necessary for Guild Wars 2, as most end tier players are either attempting to find dungeons to complete “cosmetic looks”, pvping or grinding mats or money. However, due to the unique nature of Guild Wars 2, in that there are so many activities to do End game, the percentage of dungeon players is reduced even more. With SPvP, WvWvW, Dynamic Event Chains, 8 Dungeons to grind for tokens, crafting mats or cosmetic reasons, Normal mat and gold grinding, world completion, Keg games, and puzzles, the percentage of dungeon players is significantly reduced.

Normally, having a lot of end game content would be a great thing, but without the use of a Dungeon Finder (much like the Match finder in SPvP) to consolidate the player base for that specific area of content, less players will participate in that area of gameplay.

Add a Dungeon Finder-

(edited by Fredthebeard.1870)

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

no please… this will end in more and more “NERF DUNGEONS” requests are groups will tend to be more and more horribly coordinated.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Fredthebeard.1870

Fredthebeard.1870

Badly Coordinated groups are a result of individual player skill, not based on dungeon dungeon difficulty.

Add a Dungeon Finder-

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

there are currently no plans to implement a dungeon finder.

If you are having trouble finding groups for dungeons, you can use our LFG system. Open up your contacts menu in-game, and there should be an option in there for grouping. That way it’s not just people standing out in front of dungeons shouting LFG until someone invites them. This system does not stretch across servers, or to other maps.

Posted by: Dan.8213

Dan.8213

If you are having trouble finding groups for dungeons, you can use our LFG system. Open up your contacts menu in-game, and there should be an option in there for grouping. That way it’s not just people standing out in front of dungeons shouting LFG until someone invites them. This system does not stretch across servers, or to other maps.

I did not know this, thanks!

Posted by: shaidyn.4016

shaidyn.4016

Have my babies.

“Those who believe a thing cannot be done,
should stay out of the way of those doing it”
- Thomas Edison

Posted by: Tharjax.9068

Tharjax.9068

What about making chat channels for each of the dungeons allowing for players to meet and discuss various dungeons?

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

The main problem I see with our LFG system is that it is tucked away inside your contact menu (which to me is incredibly weird, but I’m a content designer, not a UI designer.. so I’m sure there is some reason for it being hidden in there), which means not everyone is using it, since not everyone knows about it.

Spread the word!

Tharjax.9068

The main problem I see with our LFG system is that it is tucked away inside your contact menu (which to me is incredibly weird, but I’m a content designer, not a UI designer.. so I’m sure there is some reason for it being hidden in there), which means not everyone is using it, since not everyone knows about it.

Spread the word!

Also if the LFG system does not stretch across maps then essentially players are still stuck in the map of the dungeon?

Posted by: Anon.3041

Anon.3041

Since the content is not really balanced for pugs I dont see why there should be LFG system in the game at all. It sounds to me that you need voicechat as well to do it.

Tharjax.9068

Since the content is not really balanced for pugs I dont see why there should be LFG system in the game at all. It sounds to me that you need voicechat as well to do it.

3rd party chat systems are always superior to in game chats…almost every guild has a form of voice chat.

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

Also if the LFG system does not stretch across maps then essentially players are still stuck in the map of the dungeon?

Correct. You would have to leave the dungeon to LFG back in the open-world map. The instance remains open for (I believe) 15 minutes with nobody inside of it. So just make sure you pop back in once in a while to refresh the counter while you’re looking to fill your group.

Tharjax.9068

Robert thanks for the reply but could you answer my question regarding chat
Channels for the dungeons? Also reasons why we cannot have something like that?

Also, terrific game, I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Posted by: Cid.6301

Cid.6301

which makes it basically useless.. sigh. i don’t understand the reasoning behind not having a server-wide lfg chat/system and don’t use the gold-seller excuse, there are ways to deal with those

Posted by: Smedziuk.9350

Smedziuk.9350

Hardly anyone uses the LFG system from Contacts. It could be that people dont know its there or it could be that these LFG systems where you put your name on some list has never worked for any MMORPG that has ever used them.

Systems like these are only as useful as he number of people in the system. If there is no one in the system then the system is useless. If the system is useless then why is it in the game?

Why are you neglecting a system that does work for a system that does not work?

Tharjax.9068

Correct. You would have to leave the dungeon to LFG back in the open-world map. The instance remains open for (I believe) 15 minutes with nobody inside of it. So just make sure you pop back in once in a while to refresh the counter while you’re looking to fill your group.

So the LFG works across the world map, or only your current map location?

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

What about making chat channels for each of the dungeons allowing for players to meet and discuss various dungeons?

LOL, I like how this is a request in this game, where in other games released with a feature just like it, it was blatantly ignored while players continued to demand a dungeon finder.

Some folks you just can’t make happy. Although I agree with a server wide chat to help with looking for a group, it is ultimately up to Arenanet and I will still play and enjoy their game wHAtever they decide.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

The LFG is finding a needle in a haystack. Simply put.

It is worthless. It is hidden under odd UI menu’s requiring players to hunt for it, and the game offers NO help. I am sure most don’t even know it exists.

I have PuGed AC -> Arah storymode multiple time (Excluding CoE because nobody wanted to run it), and I can tell you that nobody on Borlis pass uses it. It is fundamentally flawed design. No comments, doesn’t work server wide, and nobody knows it exists.

There is a reason WoW slabbed the LFD tool right IN your face. So new players coming into the game can go “whats this?” and check it out.

I PuG a lot. I like meeting people, but a game that focuses on the future of MMO design shouldn’t look at the past with rose tinted glasses. Or else we would be doing corpse runs.

I remember the EQClassic crew talking how OOC regen destroyed social aspect in EQ because you didn’t have 5-10 mins of resting for mana (which did lead to conversations). NO game would ever go back to that no matter the social consequences. It is old and so is /map LFG – we need to update.

Posted by: neoplasmax.4286

neoplasmax.4286

I’m not entirely sure how the LFG works.. I click myself to be looking for group… A little blue icon appears by my name. BUT, how do people know what dungeon I’m wanting to do if it’s not posted?

I love how Aion did their.. Was very simple… You had a comment box next to your name when you post… OMG SIMPLE! Where we can post dungeon name. The LFG would automatically post your name in LFG channel chat which I think should be the only thing that posts in it. No Global chat with LFG, it’s locked out to system posts through LFG only.. That alone will get people using it.

Posted by: Otiveht.5482

Otiveht.5482

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
Dungeon finders are one of the things that kill community. There are much better ways to help players find groups for instances.

“If you can get there, You can go there”

Posted by: Drakken.3427

Drakken.3427

Hi Robert, this is a very BAD idea. Let’s say I’m looking for a group, and I check the LFG list. I’ve never seen more than 2-3 people on this list in the first place, but now I do not know if these players are going for map completion, looking for group to farm mats from specific mobs, looking for group to do dungeons, etc.

If the LFG option was cross-server, there would be more than 2-3 people on the list, maybe about 50 people LFG on one map. Now I have to whisper 50 people and see what kind of group they are looking for (completion/dungeon/trash mobs/events/etc).

WoW had a better dungeon system, I SIMPLY click a button that finds me a group for a dungeon throughout all the servers. Yeah it’s THAT easy.

I understand if you don’t want to copy WoW for succeeding in the dungeon queue department. I also understand if you are too lazy to code this or your programmers simply don’t know how to code it. Not sure why you would want to use a bad LFG system to make finding a party to do END GAME content.

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

Dungeon finders are one of the things that kill community. There are much better ways to help players find groups for instances.

like? A good LFG system is good. Don’t be blind. Not every feature wow has is bad.

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

(edited by marianitten.1247)

Posted by: Nepumuk.6071

Nepumuk.6071

If you are having trouble finding groups for dungeons, you can use our LFG system.

The system could be made more useful with the following additions:

• make it cross map
  • let players add a comment so others know what they are LFG for
  • provide predefined names of activities for players to select what they are LFG for, e.g. name of the dungeon, dungeon mode (story / explorable), path in the explorable
  • let players filter the LFG list by comment/activity
  • and most importantly, promote the LFG system to the players – we are already receive a mail for each new dungeon – add tutorial hints to introduce players to the LFG system when reaching the corresponding levels – maybe even add similar tutorial hints when players encounter their first group event

A useful and popular LFG system would help me a lot to get to know more players, and then join a guild or two with those I enjoy playing with.

When looking at two different systems of the game, the trading post and the LFG system, I can easily identify one of them in need for some more features, in order to improve the social experience for players in the game.

Thanks for reading.

(edited by Nepumuk.6071)

Posted by: Write.3192

Write.3192

Not having a LFG tool is as bad to the community as being able to join multiple guilds with the same character. Oh wait…

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

You would have to leave the dungeon to LFG back in the open-world map. The instance remains open for (I believe) 15 minutes with nobody inside of it. So just make sure you pop back in once in a while to refresh the counter while you’re looking to fill your group.

Can anyone tell me more about how this works? How do you get back into the dungeon, for instance (no pun intended)?

I was in Twilight Arbor (story) one night with my wife and three random strangers, and we weren’t doing well. After about 45 minutes, just after defeating the first champion, the party leader suddenly said, “Sorry guys, I thought this would be shorter, I’m exhausted.” And then, BAM! We were back in the forest, dazed and confused.

We later heard that when the leader leaves, everyone is kicked out. We also were told that the leader can transfer leadership to another player (which added insult to injury).

The next night, we decided to try it again. Our group was much more coordinated, but two of the players had connection trouble and disconnected a few times, and one player had to leave partway through. My wife and I expected to continue on without him (I was the party leader), but then someone volunteered to go and find someone to replace him. I was confused, to say the least, but then an elementalist showed up, we took out the second champion and were able to finish the dungeon!

Prior to reading this thread, all I knew about the LFG panel on the contact list was that it put you on a list and made an icon over your head. All I knew about entering/leaving dungeon instances was gleaned from the experiences described above, though I would have assumed (based on the ubiquitous instancing in the original Guild Wars) that once a player leaves an instance, there is no way back in. That’s obviously not so. Where can I learn more about this topic?

TL;DR: How does the LFG system work?

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: Drakken.3427

Drakken.3427

If the LFG was cross-map but not cross-server, at least let the player type in a description like “CM exp” or “CoF story”.

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

Not having a LFG tool is as bad to the community as being able to join multiple guilds with the same character. Oh wait…

Why i need to be force to JOIN a guild just because i want to do dungeons? I am in a guild with more than 100 members. We have fun, we joke and we have a great time together. Thats enought “social” for me… And we are always doing differents things.
But sometimes, nobody is doing dungeons, and i want to do some.

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Posted by: Neolite.8657

Neolite.8657

like? A good LFG system is good. Don’t be blind. Not every feature wow has is bad.

I’m an avid supporter of the LFD tool, I’d like to know the “better” ways as well.

LFG is probably good enough if we could enter comments or select from a list and if it was server wide instead of map. Oh and it wasn’t so hidden… It should have it’s own button up top with the other menus.

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

I will alert our UI team to this thread so they can take a look at it, considering all your feedback for an enhanced LFG system. I’m not going to make any promises, but I will at least make sure those who are responsible for this system will get your feedback.

Thank you all for your constructive criticism and feedback.

Posted by: Tetsuo.2593

Tetsuo.2593

This is totally pathetic. No automated cross-server match making for dungeons is beyond imagination. Shame on you Anet, shame on you.

Write.3192

Why i need to be force to JOIN a guild just because i want to do dungeons? I am in a guild with more than 100 members. We have fun, we joke and we have a great time together. Thats enought “social” for me… And we are always doing differents things.
But sometimes, nobody is doing dungeons, and i want to do some.

I would LOVE a LFG tool. I was just pointing out and wondering how other people in this thread can say it will destroy the community when there are plenty of game features, such as being able to join multiple guilds, that will also destroy the community. Here’s another one: map chat. How is only being able to talk to people in the same zone as you foster any sense of “community.”

Also the LFG “tool” in the contacts menu is L O L. A blue dot next to someones name when you click on them does next to nothing in forming a group. And you can’t say that it’s simpler or easier than a LFG tool would be.

Posted by: Tearmatt.5410

Tearmatt.5410

Yes!! No more “Hi” ~ “k thnx bye”, and i like how you actually make friends when forming a group outside the dungeon and get to know more about the players.

(edited by Tearmatt.5410)

Posted by: Reshima.2405

Reshima.2405

Hey Arenanet, you know you picked the wrong time to announce these things.

Posted by: Alliestiria.8193

Alliestiria.8193

I understand your decision not to put a dungeon finder in the game and I agree with it. However, the current LFG system really does need some work. Not only is it hard to find it is also pretty useless. You can’t tell what the people in it even want a group for. If you’re looking for a group for a specific dungeon what map would be the best map to sit in? The map the dungeon is in? Frequently those are under the level of the dungeon. The map most appropriate to the level range of the dungeon? Lion’s Arch or some other major city? Then once you have decided which map you think the most effective one is you can’t leave that map for fear of not being found. God forbid that you may be interested in several different dungeons.

In addition to this, there appears to be absolutely no way to list yourself as a group looking for more. My guildies and I spent at least an hour trying to figure out if we could do that one night and came to the conclusion that it was impossible. Now we never use the LFG system.

I preferred the system that WoW had in the Burning Crusade. If you were looking for a group you could open up a window that had a list of dungeons, select the dungeon(s) that you wanted to do, select the roles that you could fill, and even put in a comment of some sort (“LF fast run, raid at 8:00!”).

This was server wide and would put you in a list of players that groups could easily browse to fill in their missing slots. If there was no one listed as looking for that dungeon then your group could just leave itself listed and as soon as any players joined the list they’d see that an almost full group was ready to go. It was really simple and effective. I always had a high success rate of getting groups quickly even to do lower level content.

The one thing I wouldn’t particularly want (that WoWs LFG had) is a server wide LFG channel. People on my server always just used it as an extra large chat channel to spam with Xbox jokes, trade stuff, and other idiotic things.

Please consider eventually revamping this.

Posted by: Neolite.8657

Neolite.8657

Yes!! No more “Hi” ~ “k thnx bye”, and i like how you actually make friends when forming a group outside the dungeon and get to know more about the players.

This makes no sense at all. A LFG tool does not prevent you from getting to know the players. What if I don’t want to get to know you, I just want to complete the dungeon. Sure we can talk strategy for the next pull if you’ d like, but I don’t care what you had for breakfast. Sometimes a Hi, thx, bye is very well what I’m looking for. But once again a LFG system doesn’t change any of that.

Tearmatt.5410

This makes no sense at all. A LFG tool does not prevent you from getting to know the players. What if I don’t want to get to know you, I just want to complete the dungeon. Sure we can talk strategy for the next pull if you’ d like, but I don’t care what you had for breakfast. Sometimes a Hi, thx, bye is very well what I’m looking for. But once again a LFG system doesn’t change any of that.

Yeah well, still kills one of the social aspects of the game like gatherings in front of dungeons while looking for pt and open that box of fun where you can buy from the gem store, you can chat with the people on the entrance rather than sitting there doing nothing and wait till the Que Pops lol.

(edited by Tearmatt.5410)

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

Really happy to hear this. On the surface, it always feels like it will be beneficial to the MMO to be able to find dungeon groups via a menu, but in both WoW and Rift it has been a destructive thing.

Tetsuo.2593

I know a MMO that got destroyed by LFG. SWTOR. One of the reasons it tanked so fast was the lack of LFG tool that kept server populations isolated from each other and forced players to spam general chat looking for groups. GW2 was supposed to be all about ‘no bs, no time sinks, just log and play’ and, for the most part, it is, except for this.

It’s easy now that the game is fresh and servers are full. Give it a few months, when the hype settles, and try to do a dungeon off the server peak hours, then tell me how bad a LFG tool really is for an online game.

Tharjax.9068

I will alert our UI team to this thread so they can take a look at it, considering all your feedback for an enhanced LFG system. I’m not going to make any promises, but I will at least make sure those who are responsible for this system will get your feedback.

Thank you all for your constructive criticism and feedback.

Awesome thank you Robert! I think chat channels would solve a lot, if not most of the LFG issues.

Posted by: Nebilim.5127

Nebilim.5127

Spread the word!

Nobody uses because it is useless. The system does not tell for what you are looking group. You can’t put any descriptions. Honestly, i just can’t understand how a dungeon finder to all servers will hurt anyone.

The world is teeming with unnecessary people.
It is God’s decision that i fight.
As knight of honor, as protector of the sin. I sacrifice myself, for the blood of criminals.

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

I know a MMO that got destroyed by LFG. SWTOR. One of the reasons it tanked so fast was the lack of LFG tool that kept server populations isolated from each other and forced players to spam general chat looking for groups. GW2 was supposed to be all about ‘no bs, no time sinks, just log and play’ and, for the most part, it is, except for this.

It’s easy now that the game is fresh and servers are full. Give it a few months, when the hype settles, and try to do a dungeon off the server peak hours, then tell me how bad a LFG tool really is for an online game.

Oh boy… Swtor. So many other problems with that game, it’s hard to chose one dissect. At endgame, the dungeons were pretty well all there was to do. Also there was no real “world” in swtor.. it was fragmented by design, unless you consider the lobby space station a world (I don’t), so looking for a group was a nightmare.

It’s not hard at all to find groups on my server in GW2, and I imagine when more people hit level cap it will be about the same, as people shift more focus onto dungeons.

Posted by: Steely Phil.3952

Steely Phil.3952

This game should really have group finder for dungeons. I HATE standing around spamming chat looking for a group. It’s doing nothing. It’s the definition of boring.

In GW1 I only ran dungeons with Hero/Hench if it was too hard to do alone I just didn’t do it.

My first time playing WoW they didn’t have the feature in place yet and so I never saw any of them accept for Ragefire or whatever the first Horde dungeon was called. I would occasionally look for groups, but after 15 minutes or so couldn’t stand the wait anymore and would move on.

When I came back to WoW a year later the finder had been implement and “OMG look at all this fun content!”

Lets make the dungeons themselves the challenging part, not finding a group to do them with.

“Yo dawg, we heard you liked grind.” -ANet

Tearmatt.5410

Oh boy… Swtor. So many other problems with that game, it’s hard to chose one dissect. At endgame, the dungeons were pretty well all there was to do. Also there was no real “world” in swtor.. it was fragmented by design, unless you consider the lobby space station a world (I don’t), so looking for a group was a nightmare.

It’s not hard at all to find groups on my server in GW2, and I imagine when more people hit level cap it will be about the same, as people shift more focus onto dungeons.

Yeah and plus, you actually can get level 80 gear from lower level dungeons and ur level scales down so it not much of a problem too if u wanna do a low lvl dungeon with a low lvl friend, lol i party with a level 40+ guildie of mine and do CM while I’m level 80 lol. they just have to fix the rewards!

Tearmatt.5410

This game should really have group finder for dungeons. I HATE standing around spamming chat looking for a group. It’s doing nothing. It’s the definition of boring.

In GW1 I only ran dungeons with Hero/Hench if it was too hard to do alone I just didn’t do it.

My first time playing WoW they didn’t have the feature in place yet and so I never saw any of them accept for Ragefire or whatever the first Horde dungeon was called. I would occasionally look for groups, but after 15 minutes or so couldn’t stand the wait anymore and would move on.

When I came back to WoW a year later the finder had been implement and “OMG look at all this fun content!”

Lets make the dungeons themselves the challenging part, not finding a group to do them with.

Aint being qued in a dungeon same? just press the que button then ur just standing around doing nothing while waiting for the que lol.

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

The difference being I can wait wherever I want when I’m in queue, instead of in the same chat space as the instance I want to go to.

Write.3192

Whoever said the LFG tool destroyed Rift and Swotor should slap themself. Swotor failed because it was just an incomplete mediocre game. And Rift is one of the last subscription games out there and is about to launch an expansion. Cut it out with this BS about LFG tool destroying games, what does destroy games is having all this content that is difficult to see.

Posted by: Steely Phil.3952

Steely Phil.3952

No. I press the queue button and then proceed to to whatever I want , wherever I want, while I wait for it to come up. Very different then camping the dungeon entrance spamming chat.

*lol Asterisk beat me to it

“Yo dawg, we heard you liked grind.” -ANet

Tetsuo.2593

I can’t quote, so that goes to @Hawken:

Yes, there were several other things broken in TOR, but if you saw their forums, among the huge threadnaughts of complains the lack of LFG was always there, with hundreds upon hundreds of replies. Yes, the game had several other issues, but the inability of its player base to experience the instanced content was among the top. Funny enough, I’ve read the same complains over there, that it was super easy to find groups at any time on “my server”.

As for doing nothing when you wait for an automated match system to do its magic, that’s hardly true. It’s quite the opposite, you can queue yourself and just go do some event, farm materials for you exotic/legendaries, etc, while the game does the boring part for you. Simply, you can play the game while you wait for the group to be ready.

Posted by: Gunzwei.5417

Gunzwei.5417

Have you personally ever successfully used the system you’re recommending?

Posted by: LiveSpartan.8206

LiveSpartan.8206

Please don’t plan anything like dungeon finder in the future but work on the current LFG tool cause as others have mentioned it needs a serious overhaul.