Dungeon Scaling - Entry level to Pro.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

AC is an entry-level dungeon. It should introduce players on how to coordinate with combos. Instead, it’s too difficult because players do not have viable builds, viable weapon sets & skills, or even 25+ weapons & gear.

Is it any wonder people die so much? The dungeons need to scale up in difficulty the higher level you get.

As it is now, AC is not a good way of introducing players to dungeons. Even Cadecus Manor was easier, and that was level 40.

They need to be re-tuned to be enjoyable, and this doesn’t mean a nerf. It means balancing the difficulty based on player experience, and since AC is their first dungeon, it needs to be tuned correctly for the new player’s experience to dungeons.

Posted by: Raidin.8205

Raidin.8205

This is why I keep saying dungeons are so poorly designed.

While I’m not the type to follow a company’s blogs and forums posts about their games (I expect to be able to buy a game and just play it and have fun without additional or hidden warnings), I understand now that ArenaNet intended for a very difficult dungeon experience. This is fine, but whatever happened the ancient human concept of choice? Right now your choices for dungeon difficulty is run or don’t run them. That’s ridiculous. If ArenaNet wants to design dungeons for the minority of players, the ones willing to change their character in every way and play in sync with people they know well, then that’s fine. But at least put a warning sign that this is designed for such people. At least give the rest of us a dungeon that we can enjoy and learn through without dying 10 times to some hidden mechanic before you understand there’s an invisible trap here to avoid. I don’t mind learning by death in a specific encounter, such as a boss, as you shouldn’t know ahead of time what to expect. But for this to be true on everything, bosses, regular monsters, traps, then I don’t see the point.

I feel a good dungeon design would allow a player to see danger coming and have time to react according. Failure to do so, in a timely manner or if you’re simply not reasonably prepared, means certain death. But to teach BY death in all situations is a lesson in frustration, not fun. I’m sorry, but this isn’t fun. At all.

In my opinion, either dungeons need an easier, more reasonable mode before dumping us into the highest difficulty, or a warning sign that reads “Only for those willing to sacrifice fun for victory.” I’m being a bit sarcastic here, but while I understand some people consider this fun, many of us don’t think it’s enjoyable to change everything about our character to defeat a dungeon or encounter.

I also understand that ArenaNet expects people to have problems because the game is new, and that eventually we’ll “all get used to it” and figure out how to run these dungeons. What I don’t understand is how they are justifying giving people a terrible first impression of their game and expecting them to stick around. I dunno, just doesn’t sound like good business sense to me. If I weren’t so impressed with most of the game already, I’d have stopped playing by now. Thank goodness for that much.

Several people have mentioned they love the things the way they are, and that they get their friends and run dungeons and have fun as is. That’s great, and I’m happy someone’s enjoying themselves. But we don’t all have the luxury of several friends we can trust to play well that we can run dungeons together, especially in a time when a game is still new.

We need difficulty settings, to appease most of the players. The hardcore bunch get their hardcore dungeons, and the casual bunch get a mode for them. Instead we get hardcore right off the bat and we can either like it or not bother. Makes sense? Well, I don’t think so.

Posted by: Talon Vector.5748

Talon Vector.5748

Yep, u all i agree with u, and feel 4 ya. I feel the same way, though u all put it better then i can type it. I guess the only reason this bothers me so much is cause this is prob the 1st really good mmo to me. I just love where collin johanson said "if u like mmos then u will prob want to play guild wars 2, but if u dont like mmos then u will really want to try guild wars 2! sorry to say there collin, but with the way u present your dungeons that is just not true. I really do feel like anet is just giving us the finger on this, rather then trying to work with all of us.

Posted by: Vanisher.9216

Vanisher.9216

Kinda agree AC is hard for the “first dungeon”.

Others dungeons shouldn’t be nerfed though.