Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: SickSoul.4789

SickSoul.4789

All i ever hear about are people complaining that this game actually takes skill, but when i get into a dungeon, what do people do? they don’t have any fun with it, they stack, they take the easy route (instant gratification) which requires no skill whatsoever, i don’t get the mentality of these people i really don’t. Am i missing something?

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Oh god. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

All i ever hear about are people complaining that this game actually takes skill, but when i get into a dungeon, what do people do? they don’t have any fun with it, they stack, they take the easy route (instant gratification) which requires no skill whatsoever, i don’t get the mentality of these people i really don’t. Am i missing something?

Yes. You’re missing pretty much everything. Please get out of AC and come to Arah.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

dlonie.6547

I’ll be a bit more helpful. Please read the FAQ stickied in this forum, especially the topics under the heading “Controversial Topics, By Maxinion, but Lilith supports”.

To be more to the point: The game has been out for two years with no substantial changes to the dungeons. We have literally run these same paths hundreds of times. Several of us here shared our Hobby Dungeon Explorer achievement here the other day, which counts how many paths have been run since unlocking dungeon master. Many of us have done literally thousands of runs through these paths.

After doing the same path a few hundred times, we look for new ways to have a challenge, which often means practicing speed clearing techniques.

And stacking properly does require a fair amount of skill. If you don’t want to just keep dying and being carried, you still need to pay attention to the boss, dodge, block, stack might, etc etc. And guess what — we do still have fun playing this way.

If you don’t like running dungeons like that, try making your own LFG — there’s nothing stopping you. Post an LFG like “p1, casual run, no stacking/skipping, all welcome” and go have fun. You don’t have to join groups that don’t match your playstyle — make your own group.

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

God, i’ve even heard of people exploiting the game by using toughness and vitality so attacks are less deadly on them. It’s obviously an exploit since Anet didn’t intend people to be able to reduce damage taken. The worst is when i try to join a ping gear meta build only lfg, i get kicked because i play the game as intended and use proper positioning and ranging to take down the boss health, not those stacking exploits. My ideas: delete reflects, protection, might, fury, and all classes but necros from dungeon run, and make condi deal 10000x more damage. I can’t play my support guardian because cc is broken in this game and support is useless. Also wars are the best dps and they are exloiting with their greatsword. My engi is kicked from speedruns because they have no dps and utilities.

^ was it right?

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

dlonie.6547

Quite related, also read this post, especially the reply by Laintime that I’ve linked directly. Play how you want, but find likeminded players first.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Thanks for your constructive criticism OP.

Attachments:

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

SickSoul.4789

stacking takes skill? i stand in a corner, i don’t move, no dodging, no running from impending doom no excitement… it dies… well that was easy and… challenging… right? dying is part of the game, have fun with it ya know, it’s a game why so serious?

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

SickSoul.4789

i’m not saying it isn’t fun for you, but i just hate the people that complain that it takes skill and then do exactly the opposite of what they preach

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Good, good, now tell us about how interesting lying flat on the floor is. We’re literally dying to know.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Why are you so serious about people finding serious the fun you have finding things serious even if they are fun? I’m confused.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

I regret not coming in here with a GMB style story for maximum damage.

I am inefficient.

:<

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

IvanTheGrey.2941

i’m not saying it isn’t fun for you, but i just hate the people that complain that it takes skill and then do exactly the opposite of what they preach

I’m serious dude. Come to Arah. Get out of AC. You don’t have enough experience to make these claims.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

SickSoul.4789

thanks for those suggestions, i’ll read up, i mean i was just in a game and i was just so used to stacking because literally every dungeon run i’ve done people did it and someone flipped on me for not knowing what to do when i was so used to it, i told him look i’m used to stacking and he just continued to be a jerk and said i told you stacking doesn’t work anymore and i reiterated "i’ve never not stacked in this place so give me a break dude i don’t know how to do it but i’m trying but i’m still having fun, but when it stopped being fun i left easiest solution ever and for all the years i played gw1 i never stacked at all not once.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

In GW1 you could do a tactic called ‘corner blocking.’ The same type who hate stacking now are the same people who hated corner blocking in gw1.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

IvanTheGrey.2941

thanks for those suggestions, i’ll read up, i mean i was just in a game and i was just so used to stacking because literally every dungeon run i’ve done people did it and someone flipped on me for not knowing what to do when i was so used to it, i told him look i’m used to stacking and he just continued to be a jerk and said i told you stacking doesn’t work anymore and i reiterated "i’ve never not stacked in this place so give me a break dude i don’t know how to do it but i’m trying but i’m still having fun, but when it stopped being fun i left easiest solution ever and for all the years i played gw1 i never stacked at all not once.

OP, it sounds like you’ve just done AC. As it’s the beginning dungeon that everyone has done a billion times, you’re going to get some people who can be not the nicest when things don’t go exactly their way. Like I said, leave AC and CoF 1 behind and venture down to Arah. You’ll find things a bit different there, and perhaps a bit more to your liking.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

In GW1 you could do a tactic called ‘corner blocking.’ The same type who hate stacking now are the same people who hated corner blocking in gw1.

Exactly. Simply the execution in both games is different.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

SickSoul.4789

Okay, cool cool, thanks i’ll have to try Arah, believe it or not i played GW1 since it came out and never heard of Corner Blocking haha

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Have you experienced creating your own group with your own rules? how much time did it took to complete? did you have fun? did you party members have fun?

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

Okay, cool cool, thanks i’ll have to try Arah, believe it or not i played GW1 since it came out and never heard of Corner Blocking haha

Maybe because you didn’t do organized speed clear/solo for high tier dungeons.

I distinctly remember those choke points in UW where tanks are used for body blocking.

A lot of newer players are too used to clean runs. When you pug try to expect crap hitting the fan, and when that happens you can try to adapt. Though people can sometimes flip, just ignore them – best course of action.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

There are dungeons where it is entirely possible to not have to dodge the boss at all, and coincidentally those paths are the most run. Try some other dungeons, or even some different paths. Fiery noobsword doesn’t reign supreme everywhere (yes Colsey I stole it)

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

You win the internet for today. Where did you find that giff??!!!

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

I was on the floor, rolling, laughing. Literally! Best gif of the year.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: rainynoble.6531

rainynoble.6531

I think you need to get dungeon master title, without buy paths. ( this is an honest suggestion)

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

It’s actually pretty old and far spread, at least I’ve seen it a dozen times. Still funny every time.

Dungeon Strategy/Skill

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Maybe because you didn’t do organized speed clear/solo for high tier dungeons.

I distinctly remember those choke points in UW where tanks are used for body blocking.

I remember being the tank in those chokepoints (Obsidian Flesh ele ftw)! And how stressful it was the first time because if you died the team wiped, and if the team wiped everyone got kicked out and had to start. all. over. (For those who didn’t play, a full run could take several hours before people figured out split speedrunning teams.)

Now those were dungeons

The Deep had literal corner blocking though, where all the squishies hid in the corner while a couple of heavies bodyblocked for ’em.

@Jumping out of window gif: Was browsing while eating my lunch at work and you made me laugh out loud so I got weird looks lol

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

(edited by Rainshine.5493)