Dungeon advice

Dungeon advice

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Breytes.6901

Breytes.6901

I am not new to GW2, I started playing during the BWE’s and played daily up until just before the end of November ( Being off work due to surgery had one benefit ). I leveled my Guardian to 80, I’ve participated in hundreds of DE’s and world boss encounters, represented my server in WvW and have a mostly complete set of exotic gear for the way I play. I have not however played in dungeons, I completed story mode AC with the group of friends that used to play this game with me, most of them have since gone back to WoW.

I took a little time off from the game due to my laptop being unable to play it since my desktop died on me and am now able to afford a new PC build to rejoin the game. What I am nervous about and would like some advice on is, how to break into doing dungeons? I have all the modes to do, of all the dungeons except the aforementioned AC story mode.

I do not want to be a tag along and be carried through if I am not being a benefit to the team, and am seeking advice as to what to expect if I am entering dungeons for the first time so “late” in my characters development? I would like to get to a point of doing fractals as well and I am assuming that I should try to get experience in other dungeons before attempting these? I am wanting to be able to complete my daily and monthly achievements as best I can and while I will most likely never set foot in sPvP I am hoping I can break into the dungeon aspect of this game, any advice is welcome.

Breytes Rondoure 80 Guardian of the Blood Legion

Dungeon advice

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

pm me in game

jjbigs.8456

Dungeon advice

Posted by: Kid Taylor.5479

Kid Taylor.5479

1. Resurrect the downed, not the dead because you can quickly get out of downed but not death.

2. Ask for advice if there is something you do not understand about the dungeon.

3. Avoid red circles.

Dungeon advice

Posted by: Razzy.2741

Razzy.2741

Hi there,
since you are a guardian, you have a pretty big chance to be a huge benefit to your team. Make sure you will get familiar with all your utilities AND all weapon skills. I am using mostly shouts, but if there are certain mechanics requiring stability or anti projectile support, then I’m using some consecrations and the Shield of Avenger. These utilities can not only keep others alive, but increase their DPS, since they won’t have to worry about dodging and there won’t be any need for running.

Not sure what gear you are using, probbaly some sort of knight set, considering you played WvW a lot. I’m not saying that Knight gear is bad, but I keep using full healing set (Magi gear, Cleric trinkets, Magi weapons and boon duration runes). It allows me to spread amazing amount of heals to all party members, and increases the boons upkeep time quite much. It benefits in many ways to the team you are in, even if others don’t even notice. If it’s a good team, then you will have some berserkers – with your healing, they can stand still and go full DPS. If it’ a team made of newcomers, your heals will simply help everyone to stay alive longer, this is why Guardian offers wide range of support in dungeons.

If you are dedicated to learn about dungeons and run them daily, you could do some research on the mechanics which you will find troublesome. I suggest to go there on your won first and try to figure things out without any help, it brings some satisfaction if you learn a trick or two without some pr0 runners telling you what to do. As for the research, Wiki might help, as well as some youtube videos and other resources you can find here and there. Beginners usually have problems with explorable modes. Kholer in AC, ranged trash in CM, Wurms in TA, Dredge patrols in SM, few big packs of silver mobs in CoF, Subject Alpha in CoE, underwater mobs and bosses in hoTW and entire Arah. Funny thing, Guardian offers many ways to mitigate the damage from nasty mechanics in each dungeon, so you should handle thigns well.

It’s also a good thing to accept the fact, that the “trash” in the dungeons is made of silver mobs, and they aren’t as easy to kill as it’s in regular PvE. Some silver mobs can kill you within seconds with their leaps, knock downs and burst dmg, so whenever you face some group, be prepared for some heavy damage coming. That’s where all your healing, light fields and boon spreading shouts come in handy. 12 stacks of might for party members are quite decent way to support, too.

Anyway, it all requires practise. It’s good to find a group of people you can run the dungeons with, so you will learn together and learn synergy between your builds which will make your teamwork stronger and it should make it easier to get trhough some painful dungeons. Pick up groups tend to be full of either morons, or people who tend to be so fast and pro, that they left behind all the manners at their newbie stage.

Good luck.

BEER Guild - Dungeon Riders