Dungeon kicking: When or when not to.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Direngrey.8376

Direngrey.8376

I myself don’t fancy dungeon kicking, as I have been kicked from an Arah path some time ago having wasted a couple hours for peoples greed to sell my spot for gold.

However, I do feel there are times when someone may or may not be kicked, so lets hear the thoughts on the community.

Example 1. We were doing fractal 30, and in comes a guardian who claims they have about 30 AR. First “path” was the underwater jellyfish, it went by smooth.
path 2 was the shaman volcano, this guardian died INSTANTLY as soon as the agony got on them, they were kicked as soon as that path was finished. I myself did not fully agree on the kicking, because if we were able to finish then we shouldn’t have a problem with the others.

Example 2: We had an elitists who pretty much told us everything we were doing was wrong, and kept complaining, our pug leader who started the instance started whispering the 3 of us and said they are tired of this person and planned on kicking them at the end because they don’t deserve the reward and it is time consuming to find a fill-in. As much as he/she was being insanely rude, I don’t really agree on kicking them at the end when the boss is at 5% hp, even if they were being rude, this person should of been kicked on the spot of them being rude. Keep in mind we did tell this person to calm down, and they started to attack us with words immediately.

Example 3. We had a person who had a toon for " every little thing" as crazy as that sounds. In fractals for the jellyfish, they switched to their elementalist, for the fractal path with the frozen norn, they switched to their guardian, for the dredge path, they switched to their Engineer, then a kick was initiated at maw when they were in the process of switching back to another toon. This person was kicked.

All and all , my question is, are these viable reasons to kick someone? Even if they do have unorthodoxed ways to complete something? I am leaning towards more there is a patience issue with some people, and if something isn’t done immediately, a kick is initiated.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Why would you kick anyone for swapping characters, especially if it’s done for team benefit?

Posted by: Sacrai.6280

Sacrai.6280

There are good reason to kick somebody out of your group, yet I disagree with all 3 examples you have given:

1) If you succeed, it means the player’s good. Insufficient AR shouldn’t be a reason to be kicked if you are skilled enough. Yet I might admit that he lied, it might be the best example you have given. I would simply have asked for an explanation.

2) Being rude and selfish is a good reason to get kicked. However, kicking someone a minute before the end takes out all righteousness in the process. It’s simply getting as low as the people you are criticizing. I would say it would have been an appropriate reason to kick him when he first insulted you.

3) I don’t even understand what he did wrong. Switching might take a bit of time, but if doing it brings to the group, I don’t see what the problem is.

[LAGS] Sacraï – Roche de l’Augure[FR]

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Why would you kick anyone for swapping characters, especially if it’s done for team benefit?

Depends on how long it took? If they insisted on changing and took 5-6 min to get back to position, while the team said no, lets just go…. well yeah, kick them.

I don’t really like kicking people either. However, we had somebody who said he had enough AR, but we started realizing he was staying back to not get hit, and immediately died on Maw. Not to mention he was incredibly rude and was verbally assaulting us when we were just asking him questions. It was obvious that he was joining higher level groups so they would carry him, and not contributing anything.

RIP in peace Robert

Direngrey.8376

That’s why I am saying, I think there is more of a patience issue going on, since the guardian had no ar (or very low ar ) people would have to spend time reviving them / process to kill boss takes longer.

Second part like I said, I wanted to kick him on the spot, but I normally stay silent in pugs, otherwise I risk potentially getting kicked out myself for not agreeing with the majority.

That part I did not understand for the life of me, what I did notice though was each of his characters were on different parts of the map, and it took some time for him to get inside, and he disconnected here and there. Some people really need to learn patience.

Direngrey.8376

Depends on how long it took? If they insisted on changing and took 5-6 min to get back to position, while the team said no, lets just go…. well yeah, kick them.

I don’t really like kicking people either. However, we had somebody who said he had enough AR, but we started realizing he was staying back to not get hit, and immediately died on Maw. Not to mention he was incredibly rude and was verbally assaulting us when we were just asking him questions. It was obvious that he was joining higher level groups so they would carry him, and not contributing anything.

Yeah, this. He took a while to get in, and his characters were on different parts of the world. I don’t like kicking people out, but I can’t say the same for the other teamates. He also disconnected every so often.

That’s pretty much what our Guardian did, he/she stayed far away with scepter even when all of us were meleeing at close range.

Posted by: fony.5102

fony.5102

1. afk with no word for more than 5 minutes.
2. being a kittenhole(a whole lot of scenarios fall under this one)
3. going afk more than 3 times(also DC more than 3 times)

and if the whiners get Anet to react and change the system, it’d be impossible to deal with any of this.

(edited by fony.5102)

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

1 – If they can survive without AR, I don’t care. If they say they can avoid it but are consistently being downed by agony I think it would be appropriate to remove that player. We are responsible for knowing our own limits, it’s not fair to the rest of the team if you join a level that is too high for you. As for that specific situation, anyone can avoid agony in Aquatic Ruins without even trying so it’s not a very good indicator of agony avoidance skills.

2 – I can see how this gets annoying. I’ve been on a few parties when a constant complainer was kicked. Most of the time they were complaining over the smallest of things that weren’t even a problem, calling people names etc. rather than being helpful about it. So if a kick request popped up I would probably vote on it. The way I see it is that I play GW2 for fun and like to surround myself with nice people. It’s not fun when someone is berating people the entire time. All that said, I wouldn’t support using them for the entire run then kicking them at the end. That would make you just as bad as the other person.

3 – I don’t see any reason for kicking that player. They are optimizing their performance for every fractal. Sure, it’s a bit of a time sink but I sure as heck perform better when I take a few seconds to switch my weapons and utilities between encounters.

(edited by rozcinana.7249)

Ethics.4519

3 – I don’t see any reason for kicking that player. They are optimizing their performance for every fractal. Sure, it’s a bit of a time sink but I sure as heck perform better when I take a few seconds to switch my weapons and utilities between encounters.

Repeatedly causing multiple 3-5 minute delays, even though the party is asking you to just do it and not switch, is not the same as asking for 10-15 sec for a skill to go off cooldown or switching weapons.

I wasn’t there, so I don’t know how it happened exactly, but I could see why this could possibly lead to a kick.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

1) If you succeed, it means the player’s good. Insufficient AR shouldn’t be a reason to be kicked if you are skilled enough. Yet I might admit that he lied, it might be the best example you have given. I would simply have asked for an explanation.

I have never seen more wrong in a statement. I’ve had hundreds of instances where my group succeeds, even with bad players in the party dragging us down.

Oh so a player goes down right at the beginning of a boss fight, we still manage to beat it with 4 people.. That means the player was good? No. I wouldn’t go as far as waiting until the very last second to kick them though; instead I kick them right on the spot so they know where they went wrong.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

Second guy is the only one I would have kicked. Doing it at the end was really unnecessary but if he was a big enough jerk then it is extremely hard to sympathize. If someone else initiated a votekick at that point I might have clicked to confirm it.

Direngrey.8376

Second guy is the only one I would have kicked. Doing it at the end was really unnecessary but if he was a big enough jerk then it is extremely hard to sympathize. If someone else initiated a votekick at that point I might have clicked to confirm it.

He was atagonizing everyone, and saying how we were “downies” because we didn’t know how to exploit a path, and all kinds of unnecessary things. I personally don’t like kicking people, but if you asked me he got what he deserved at the end. He didn’t deserve the reward.

As for the other 2, I didn’t agree with it, but it happened.

Ethics.4519

So you’re saying a level 1 fotm should be able to do a level 48 fotm?

1) The person would instantly die due to one hit of agony. Even if the person were able to dodge every single agony attack, there are two mandatory agony attacks at Maw that would require the team to res him or leave him.

2) The person would be staying range and probably doing barely any damage trying to avoid all the agony attacks.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

So you’re saying a level 1 fotm should be able to do a level 48 fotm?

1) The person would instantly die due to one hit of agony. Even if the person were able to dodge every single agony attack, there are two mandatory agony attacks at Maw that would require the team to res him or leave him.

2) The person would be staying range and probably doing barely any damage trying to avoid all the agony attacks.

Not necessarily, We ran a level 38 FotM, with a mate who had had a bit of a break from PvE, doing mainly WvW. He was a tiny bit under equipped at 25AR, but we had a really smooth run, but he did die at the last bit with the Maw as expected, it was only when he got back to sell his stuff from the run that he realised he had forgot to swap in his rings and had done the whole run with 0AR, and none of us had noticed. You can do FotM with very low AR if you know what you are doing.

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Repeatedly causing multiple 3-5 minute delays, even though the party is asking you to just do it and not switch, is not the same as asking for 10-15 sec for a skill to go off cooldown or switching weapons.

I wasn’t there, so I don’t know how it happened exactly, but I could see why this could possibly lead to a kick.

If it takes as long as 3-5 minutes each time, I can absolutely see how that could be frustrating and cause a kick! If I ever switch characters it takes me less than a minute so I had replied with that figure in mind.

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

I agree with kicking the guardian, firstly because he lied to get into the group, and secondly just because you got through an easy fractal without his help doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have been a huge risk to take him into the next one.

I think if someone is being an elitist jerk, they can be kicked for that if it is bothering the other people but in this case not the way it was done. The group leader was too interested in punishing the guy than simply getting rid of an unconstructive team member ASAP. If he wanted to kick he should have done it right then and not waited for the boss. I have seen elitist types before and they can be a risk – in one case he had opened the instance, and was having a bad time of it – the group didn’t really care, but he kept making excuses for why he got downed, and after getting one-shotted a few times at the beginning of the cliffside fractal he just rage quit and we got booted out. Unfortunately there was nothing we could have done in that case, but if you can, get rid of these players before they decide to bail in the middle of a boss just because they can’t handle not being the best player in the group.

The last example is the only one I really disagree with. You had already taken him that far and honestly Jade Maw doesn’t require 5 people anyway, you could have easily started without him. Unless the group had communicated that they did not like his constant switching and he was doing it anyway, there was no justification to kick him especially at that point in the run.

In my experience, I’ve only ever requested/agreed to two kicks (other than dc/afk problems) and in both cases it was because they were leechers, just following behind the group and letting us do all the work.

All I do is pugs, and I have never been kicked, though I have seen groups that were kick-happy. (I silently blocked them after the run, so as not to group with them again.) And what’s funny in my observation is that, though the worst player might get kicked, it’s usually the second-worst player that is most insistent on doing the kick. I don’t think it’s just a matter of patience, I think inferiority complex has something to do with it and that shows in the way so many kick stories involve “punishing” the kicked player by denying them the reward from a boss kill (which doesn’t really make sense if the group was able to make the kill). It seems like an ego trip for these people, to make themselves feel better for their own poor performance.

Posted by: panikos.8309

panikos.8309

example 1) I would have instakicked him. Hate people that go to fractals without enough resistance for the level. If he was down most of the time then the help he offered the party was about .. 0!

example 2) weell might not have if we got what we wanted from the run. Would have blocked him though. hate people like that.

example 3) Say no to toonswappers!!! No I dont want to wait for him to swap toons. kitten that kitten! Hate it even more when they do it in dungeon runs at the last boss and bring in low lvl alts. Absolutelly hate it. If I hadnt been warn and agreed on it before the dungeon I would have instakicked him.

Posted by: Marna Nindar.8120

Marna Nindar.8120

I don’t really agree with any of your kicks, to be honest.

1) The guardian: You just killed the hardest fractal with help from this guardian, why kick him now? It really makes no sense, unless you think that AR > skill (in wich case you are, duh, wrong – sole exception being the maw attack). Was the problem that he used a scepter? Well, you can go melee the shaman if you wan’t… I know that I use melee weapons only against the lava elementals in this fight, and I won’t fault a guardian who doesn’t melee them and prefers going staff / scepter. I would kick a guardian who refuses to takes wall and shield of the avenger tough.

2) I said I didn’t agree on kicking anyone, but this one I actually agree – tough you were (much) worse then him by kicking him at the end. Come on, is it so difficult to tell him to shut up or he will be kicked? Just warn him, give him an ultimatum and then if he goes on kick him. So you could go on with a frienlier player and finish your dungeon happily.

3) Here, you have been total jerks. Sorry for being rude, but it is simply so. The guys already did it 3 times. Wich means you knew how long it takes him. Again, ask him not to do it again because the time loss is bigger then the gain and that you will kick him if he ceps rerolling. And kicking him at maw is just a sad decision.

The only player I ever kicked when well into a dungeon was a thief in grawl fractals (it was the 2nd). As we had only an elementalist who oculd reflect projectiles, we asked him 3 times to take smoke screen, after 3 failed tries. Each time he said nothing and didn’t take it. The fourth I just said him to take it or he will be kicked; he replied to shut up and was kicked. Ironically another thief took his place, took his screen and we immediately killed the shaman.