Dungeon length in the future

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Velkyn.5168

Velkyn.5168

After a few days with the new AC, I realized that me and my guild are now sort of lacking a “short” dungeon to go to with our members who might either not have a high level character yet, or are only logging in with less than an hour time of time to spend on a dungeon run.
We used to end up going to the “old” AC a lot for both of these reasons, and are now missing an alternative. We are a casual guild with a lot of players who are relatively new to the game, so dungeons usually include a few wipes, which means taking a little extra time.

Yes, CoF is fast, but it is for higher levels and also it takes a while to do the event first in case it isn’t opened. HotW path1 is fine, but unfortunately only for high levels, too.
TA is fine IF the group can get past the first boss, but that’s not always a given either.

I’m wondering if other people are concerned with this as well. Personally I am ok because I usually play for a couple hours every day and I can fit anything I want to do into my play time just fine. I also love Arah for example and the fact that it is as huge as it is and takes as long as it does.

But I do miss shorter dungeons for above reasons and I am worried that the future revamps of other now “short” paths might turn out similar to the new AC and leave us with little to no options for people with less experience and less time on their hands.
How do other people see this?

(edited by Velkyn.5168)

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

By ‘short’ do you mean ‘easy’?

I haven’t really done the new AC yet but I thought they just updated the boss fights.

Velkyn.5168

No, not neccessarily easier. The difficulty of the new AC and what it means for (especially new) players is already being discussed in the “new AC” thread and is a different topic I think.

To be a bit more specific here: even if we do the new AC path2 reasonable well for example, the new mechanics of the last boss just make the fight last a pretty long time. It is a fun encounter the way it is designed and not “too hard”, but it just makes the whole run take a lot more time than it did before.

We are simply lacking a shorter option for people with less time in the evenings now where we had one up till recently. We miss that and this makes me worried about the direction any future dungeon revamps are going to take in that regard.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

I think that Sorrow Embrace path 1 and 3 will suit you OP. When I feel like running SE, I run those 2 paths together and they will take an average 40 mins in total with a PUG.

And short and easy can have overlaps but they can mean different things. Eg. HotW underwater boss battles are easy due to simple mechanics but often take a long time due to high boss hp coupled with low dmg potential of most classes when underwater.

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Yea SE1 when you skip everything is about as short as COF1, it seems. Course I don’t find either enjoyable as such, but if you want fast and easy…there you go.

Velkyn.5168

Actually, Sorrow’s Embrace path 3 is my favourite at the moment in that way, Mosspit.

But unfortunately it is for level 60+ only, and we can’t take our “lowbie” players there. And most of all, which is the point of this thread, I am worried about what places like SE will look like after they get their own revamp in time.

I’m not sure if all “new” versions of the dungeons are supposed to be taking longer, but I dread it in a way because we are already feeling the “loss” of our short AC option every day now.

Edit: updated topic to make this clearer

(edited by Velkyn.5168)

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

After a few days with the new AC, I realized that me and my guild are now sort of lacking a “short” dungeon to go to with our members who might either not have a high level character yet, or are only logging in with less than an hour time of time to spend on a dungeon run.
We used to end up going to the “old” AC a lot for both of these reasons, and are now missing an alternative. We are a casual guild with a lot of players who are relatively new to the game, so dungeons usually include a few wipes, which means taking a little extra time.

Yes, CoF is fast, but it is for higher levels and also it takes a while to do the event first in case it isn’t opened. HotW path1 is fine, but unfortunately only for high levels, too.
TA is fine IF the group can get past the first boss, but that’s not always a given either.

I’m wondering if other people are concerned with this as well. Personally I am ok because I usually play for a couple hours every day and I can fit anything I want to do into my play time just fine. I also love Arah for example and the fact that it is as huge as it is and takes as long as it does.

But I do miss shorter dungeons for above reasons and I am worried that the future revamps of other now “short” paths might turn out similar to the new AC and leave us with little to no options for people with less experience and less time on their hands.
How do other people see this?

Try CM. It’s low lvl, a bit harder than old AC but doable.

Posted by: fony.5102

fony.5102

AC is pretty short. it’s only about 2x as long as the average WoW BC ultra nerfed 5 man such as Slave Pens. just be honest and say you guys need a dungeon that you don’t have to pay any attention to get through.

Velkyn.5168

Well yeah CM works but it just takes a lot longer than the old AC used to. I’m all about time involved here.
And I don’t know about WoW stuff, I was just saying it was nice having shorter options before the patch and it’s a shame if those are all going to disappear in the future.

Short =/= easy or paying no attention.

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

I have a suggestion for you that worked wonders for me in my small / casual guild when we were faced with a similar group compisition.

The trick is to let your guild know that you want to progress people through the dungeons. Tell people: This weekend, we’re going to do CM several times, if you don’t have a level 45 character, please take some time this week to work on getting there. Then, focus your energy durring the week on helping people get to level.

The next weekend, tell people you’re going to do TA…. same process.

What I found is that several of the ‘casual’ gamers lacked the motivation to level a specific ‘main’ character to participate in the higher level dungeons. They would have 3-5 characters in the level 15-30 range and nothing they had grown attached to.

When we started progressing weekly (through story mode) people had a motivation to get a character leveled.

Now, those people are still alt-a-holics, but they have at least one lvl 80 for CoF / HotW runs, and in general, they find that having one level 80 character gives them more options, even if that’s not where they spend most of their time.

I know it doesn’t address getting a shorter dungeon for your low level guild members, but perhaps by getting people organized to level, you can get them to the objective you want (short dungeon run) in the higher level areas.

GL for you and your guild!

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Posted by: fony.5102

fony.5102

Well yeah CM works but it just takes a lot longer than the old AC used to. I’m all about time involved here.
And I don’t know about WoW stuff, I was just saying it was nice having shorter options before the patch and it’s a shame if those are all going to disappear in the future.

Short =/= easy or paying no attention.

not buying it, all important mobs have way less HP, the routes are identical and there are less trash pulls. nothing can make it take longer besides getting your kitten kicked on every boss.

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

If you run past all the mobs, most TA paths will take you less than an hour. And the first boss is mostly only difficult if you don’t know what you’re doing, but if you practice a bit with your group then you can do runs quite easily. I don’t really have input on the other dungeons as right now I’m focusing on TRYING to master TA (I want the armor/weapons). I think that future dungeons shouldn’t ever take longer than an hour, even for newbies.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Dungeons need more optional stuff:

- Do the bare minimum, take 10-30 minutes, get minimum rewards.
- Do bonus events, take up to 1-2 hours, get more rewards at the end.
- Also vanquish the dungeon (kill every single thing, including critters), get even more rewards.

Diminished rewards would be applied before the bonus rewards, so they’ll only affect the fastest runs.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Kumakichi.2583

Kumakichi.2583

Not sure what you mean by short. Ive been in pugs that ran AC and TA paths in 30 minutes or less. Seems like a guild should be able to do close to that. SE path 3 is super quick. Dungeons lasting 30-60 is good with me. Dont get that feeling your chained to a dungeon but make it worth 5 people to group up and have some fun.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

I honestly didn’t find AC much longer, just different . If anything, it might take a while for your guild mates to adapt to the new boss mechanics; and when they get the hang of it, the dungeon would probably be just as fast as AC 1.0. Though, Detha’s path might be a little throttled depending on how the boss reacts to the traps and the time it takes for the adds to get placed in the traps; but everything else should be gravy in time.

As far as “short” or “easy” dungeons go, I find CM Butler path moderately decent. TA Up path can be somewhat short as well. SE 1 and 3 are also quick.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

AC is still short and easy, less than 30min per path even if you kill everything you come across.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.