Dungeon selling: request deposit

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Have each buyer pay the price of the dungeon plus a deposit of that same amount (so twice the total sale price).

If the sale goes as planned, you return everyone’s deposit.

If the sale is griefed (seller is kicked), two players had to vote “kick.” You keep all their money and return all of the other two players’ money. You also report them, but good luck with that.

Same amount of profit either way. Buyers will need a bit more trust in sellers than before. (Seller still needs a proxy of course.)

This is assuming Anet shows you in the chat who kicked you (which they claim they’re trying to do — any bets on whether this will make it into the upcoming patch?).

Of course, those who kicked you can also sell that same instance, so their loss is not as bad as it seems… perhaps this will cause dungeon prices to go down?

If nothing else, this new instance system will be an interesting disaster.

(edited by Lord Kuru.3685)

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Nope. Too risky.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

EDIT:

Nevermind. I misunderstood due to the new system.

On a semi-relevant note, here is a thread that discusses what I’d like them to do: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Simple-or-not-Dungeon-Owner-fix/first#post4337989

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Posted by: conn.2097

conn.2097

I think you were right. I still don’t get it.

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

If someone wants to kick you, he won’t pay anything.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Another easy solution would be to allow us to set passwords to LFG groups. That way, people will have to send you the payment up front before you send them the password to join.

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Another easy solution would be to allow us to set passwords to LFG groups. That way, people will have to send you the payment up front before you send them the password to join.

Every scammers wet dream

Nova [rT]

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

You know back in guild wars 1 during the ye good ole prophecies days, I would do Droknar’s Forge run with my W/Mo, I never got scammed, and Snickers bars were only 50 cents! Kids these days need to learn their manners and be respectful.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Axelwarrior.9084

Every scammers wet dream

If anything, by communicating with the scammer by whispers/mail, you get to keep his name and the conversation that allows you to report him a lot easier. You’re much safer from scamming than with the current system.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

There was a guy floating around, we’ll call him mr H. Everyone knows him, and Heits him. This guy was reported so many kittening times and no action was ever taken. It was so bad people just didn’t sell when they saw him online. I don’t think that reporting really does anything, possibly because GMs can’t really know much of what happened without having been there themselves.

dutchiez.7502

Too bad reports don’t do kitten (at this time).

Nova [rT]

EcoRI.9273

I remember mr H. I even have a video of him caught in the act. Had everyone in my guild report him, nothing happened.

http://www.twitch.tv/diabiosx/c/3444060

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

He still plays Gw2? Worse for me was the ones who merged kicked and gloated on it on lfg.

Posted by: No Pulse.2967

No Pulse.2967

He still plays Gw2? Worse for me was the ones who merged kicked and gloated on it on lfg.

I saw him online 2 days ago.

Inactive member in Dark Renegatus [REN]
The Order of Calamity [OOC] is recruiting!
5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: Veckna.9621

Veckna.9621

Honestly selling a path with no placeholders will be a nightmare, why bother paying when they can merge with a friend and take over your instance instead?
If griefing and trolling were already good motivators for people to boot sellers, wait until they realise they can actually take over your instance and profit off your hard work.

Enforcing punishments for kicks would be a nightmare, imagine all the people that get a well-deserved kick from a group being able to report who kicked them out of sheer frustration and someone getting banned for kicking someone who’d been spouting insulting nonsense for the last X amount of time or for kicking somebody who didn’t bother reading the contents of your LFG post before joining your group. Unless the reporting system gets totally revamped this would be subject to all sorts of abuse.

The removal of the dungeon owner system as it sounds right now is effectively the end of the PUG and the dungeon selling business with no placeholders.

P.S.: Let me run to the store and grab some popcorn because once this patch hits I can’t wait to read all about people complaining they’ve been griefed.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Every scammers wet dream

If anything, by communicating with the scammer by whispers/mail, you get to keep his name and the conversation that allows you to report him a lot easier. You’re much safer from scamming than with the current system.

Reports do nothing. Also with your idea, you still lose your money. At least with the current system you can enter the instance and open the map to determine whether or not the path is actually completed up to the last boss. People that do the paths aren’t the ones scamming.

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Hey OP! Terrible idea! Here is why:
1)No one will give you double the price especially after you mention scamming. It’s the n-word of any transaction!

2)It takes too long to explain. I guess it’s faster in NA but good luck doing that in EU where people can’t talk! Some don’t speak any language at all. Odd right? Some don’t even know where they are! God knows how many times I had to ask my french/german friends to translate for me.

3)Fillers are easier to employ, faster and the most important part safer. Just use 3 fillers! Asking friends to stay in your party while they afk/chat/pvp/wvw is not the big deal everybody claims to be.

4)Using proxies further prolongs the whole thing making selling even less profitable than it already is.

EcoRI.9273

Create Dungeon Dictator Mode where the first person to enter(you the creator) can not be kicked and you can kick anyone you want, shows up in LFG with dictator Icon.

Lord Kuru.3685

Hey OP! Terrible idea! Here is why:
1)No one will give you double the price especially after you mention scamming. It’s the n-word of any transaction!

You’ll make less if someone griefs your sale. (I expect more griefers in the future, see below.)

2)It takes too long to explain. I guess it’s faster in NA but good luck doing that in EU where people can’t talk! Some don’t speak any language at all. Odd right? Some don’t even know where they are! God knows how many times I had to ask my french/german friends to translate for me.

Everyone understands what a deposit is. Just look up the equivalent word in each language.

3)Fillers are easier to employ, faster and the most important part safer. Just use 3 fillers! Asking friends to stay in your party while they afk/chat/pvp/wvw is not the big deal everybody claims to be.

Fillers don’t protect you enough. Once two griefers enter your party, filler or not, they can kick you. The other two spots you have to refund (or didn’t get the chance to fill in the first place).

4)Using proxies further prolongs the whole thing making selling even less profitable than it already is.

You have to use a proxy. Using only LFG is the best way to get griefed. Two griefers just join your LFG and kick you immediately.

Selling works ok currently because only pure griefers are interested in destroying your instance: they have no chance to profit (unless they’re sellers out to remove competition).

But once the patch hits, people can grief you and sell your instance. Or at the very least, bring guildies in for free runs. The potential for griefing + profit is going to bring out people who otherwise wouldn’t have bothered to grief.

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

I see you didn’t really read the whole post. You completely ignored the part about using 3 fillers. That’s ok! A lot of people joining sell lfgs do the same thing!
Your logic is a bit flawed though. When you say 2 griefers enter and kick you also say you have to refund the other 2 spots. 2+2=4. Where are the fillers? Are you suggesting people are silly enough to kick the guy they just sent gold to? Well that’s no longer your problem.
Of course everybody understands what a deposit is! It took me only 5minutes to explain someone that I’m selling the run and it’s not in fact a group to “kill zaithan”! Even if they do there are a bunch of trust issues. Do you trust strangers? Especially when it involves money(virtual or not)?
As for making less if someone griefs you..well you make less if you have no internet connection. Or a computer. Please refer to the whole 3 filler thingy.
Are you NA? In EU nobody uses proxies because the hassle isn’t worth it. Also the whole explaining issue you conveniently ignore.

Lord Kuru.3685

Your logic is a bit flawed though. When you say 2 griefers enter and kick you also say you have to refund the other 2 spots. 2+2=4. Where are the fillers? Are you suggesting people are silly enough to kick the guy they just sent gold to? Well that’s no longer your problem.

Let’s do it simple: Two griefers kick you after having paid you.

• You lose money you would have made for the other two slots.
  • Griefers lose the money they paid you, but:
  • They turn around and sell your instance. They make a profit with zero effort.

The last point is why there are going to be serious problems with griefing once this update hits.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Although… What’s to stop those griefers from getting hijacked by more griefers and getting kicked themselves? It’d be Grieferception!

dutchiez.7502

Fillers wont work anymore.

1. You list a LFG with 3 fillers
  2. Someone joins your party and pays, filler leaves
  3. Friend of the person who joined first joins and they quickly kick you and your fillers
  4. They invite their friends

They now get 5 dungeon slots for the price of 1. Everybody chips 1/5th of the price to the guy who joined first and they all just got a free daily minus ~1g.

Nova [rT]

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

3. Friend of the person who joined first joins and they quickly kick you and your fillers

They now get 5 dungeon slots for the price of 1. Everybody chips 1/5th of the price to the guy who joined first and they all just got a free daily minus ~1g.

Welp. Anet really done kittened up with this one.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I was gonna avoid mentioning this to avoid giving people ideas. But yeah the new system is vulnerable even with fillers. Which is pretty messed up. We can only hope that anet starts inforcing lfg bans.

Axelwarrior.9084

Every scammers wet dream

Reports do nothing. Also with your idea, you still lose your money. At least with the current system you can enter the instance and open the map to determine whether or not the path is actually completed up to the last boss. People that do the paths aren’t the ones scamming.

I’m not sure why reports do nothing, but that’s for ANet to solve. Once the scam is confirmed and the scammer is punished, the gold can be refunded to the victim.
Maybe the current system protects the buyers more, but it doesn’t protect the sellers (which have the most to lose, IMO). It’s definitely not ideal and nor is the new one.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Too bad reports don’t do kitten (at this time).

I think I’m still a leader in his guild.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

And I thought I was the only one who would think that griefers are capable of that.
Yeah, it’s pretty horrible.

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Reports don’t work because person to person trading in this game is considered “at your own risk.” Kind of messed up.