Dungeons

Dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: venus.4509

venus.4509

I enjoyed the dungeons provided in the game, but I seem to be the minority in that train of thought and wondering if we are every going to see new dungeons introduced in the future on expansions or are Fractals and Raids the only thing in the future?

Dungeons

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

id hope so. In fractals you dont get seetings or stories relevant in the current timeline or events. A few dungeons that go in more depth on things related to the expac would be amazing

Dungeons

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Lots of people loved dungeons, lots of us still do too. There’s just too little incentive to keep doing them. Rewards typically dictate player interest in GW2’s various game modes.

Dungeons

venus.4509

Yea I’m hoping that we would receive a neat dungeon a long the lines of a raids but more accessible with group of 5 people rather then 10 people. IMO it would seem the new areas could offer more story like dungeons once those places become available.

Dungeons

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I enjoyed the dungeons provided in the game, but I seem to be the minority in that train of thought and wondering if we are every going to see new dungeons introduced in the future on expansions or are Fractals and Raids the only thing in the future?

Lots of people liked dungeons and lots of people still like them. A lot of veterans are bored with them, because they did them so many times (some literally farmed a single path 100s of times, back when that was a top money maker). So, no, you’re not in the minority.

ANet isn’t a fan of them because they were convoluted & complicated — they were intended to be set up once and tweaked on rare occasions. They forgot that players always evolve more quickly than a developer can release new content. As a community, we outgrew dungeons and they were simply too hard to keep pace.

In contrast, fractals are designed to be updatable more easily — a single map provides four levels of difficulty and those can be tweaked more easily and in more ways than dungeons. Unlike fractals, raids continue to be beyond some players, so while they aren’t evolving as fast as the top-skilled players, they might not need all that much tweaking for those working there way to being more skilled.

As a result, it’s unlikely that ANet will work on a new dungeon.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Dungeons

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

Most importantly the dungeon experience has been nerfed greatly since the expansion. Bosses cant keep up with the dps of a strong group, some people 3=man them to make it a bit more challenging and keep it interesting but that just shows how outdated they are.

Dungeons

zealex.9410

that could be fixed with hp buff and more smart use of breakbars.

Dungeons

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

Very very unlikely that we get at least one new dungeon in the new expansion. There are no indications or special mysterious announcements for it and we all know the way for instanced content is fractals (5 man) and raids (10 man).

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Dungeons

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

Newer players seem to wonder about dungeons. They are in such a weird spot even compared to old dungeons in other games. People run them, but not really. Rewards are fine, but not really. People care about them, but not really.

Dungeons, though still beloved by many, are ancient at this point. They were a huge focus at first. Providing us with a great dungeon community and countless of hours of playtime. We assumed they’d slowly add new paths to all of the existing dungeons as well as add new dungeons eventually. Never really happened that way. New paths were few and far between.
They still ended up being about the only thing keeping us in the game during the content drought of 2013/14 predating the release of the chinese version.

They got nothing on Fractals nowadays. Neither the rewards nor the difficulty is up to scratch anymore. Neither do they provide ascended gear.
People have always been blowing up dungeon bosses one way or another. It used to require party coordination at least or cheese like FGS stacking before the expansion.

I can think of some approaches they could take with dungeons:

1. A big rework of the outdated reward system. Kind of like they did with Fractals. A daily system, better loot and shiny stuff to spend tokens on. Also, the addition of new dungeons with another expansion or story arch.

or

2. Complete rework of almost all of the old dungeons as well as the reward system. Balancing the content around our current version. Making dungeons great again. Adding a 4th, 5th and maybe 6th path to all of them while providing us with new ones on top of that. Rather unlikely unless there is a huge change in direction again.

or

3. Leaving them in the state of the eternal stagnation they are in. Basically, niche content for niche players with niche rewards. The most likely option. Letting all of the hard work kind of go to waste in the end.

Highly doubt they intend to spend any work on dungeons as long as Fractals and raids are doing fine or even well.
I am actually one of the people who think the game became much more casual over time, exclude the raids. We have moved too far from the idea of explorable modes being for the best of dungeoneers only, for dungeons as they are now to ever become a thing again.

Dungeons

Posted by: GWMO.4785

GWMO.4785

Ill call it out right here. Dungeons are a thing in the past

Anet did say so themselves more or less. So in that sense they probably wont change anything in the current dungeons that are already in game. Rather that is fixing bugs, or “balance” encounter or w/e. But that also means they wont add any new dungeons either. So in short they are left behind in the dust.

In terms of endgame content Anet is focusing on fractals and raids. Tho even that is not really clear how it’s exactly going to happen. Raid was suppose to be that ultimate challenging content. However duo to complaining players the overall difficulty has been more or less reduced in the later added raid (wings). Allowing more casual players to do raids. As where those who seek the challenge is the challenge mode.

And same kinda happened to fractals. Very doable by average people. But who want/like the challenge can do 100cm. Kinda like a 5 man raid. I personally think Anet should have left scale 100 at normal mode. and a tier 5 for fractals. However this should be just one for each type of fractal and come with a (more) difficult challenge mode. Like how 100cm is right now. but each fractal has its own scale and challenge for it.

Dungeons

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

they could at least fix all the bugs and only then abandon the content…

Dungeons

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

to much work for no profit mate

Dungeons

Sublimatio.6981

it’s about decency and being professional, not profit

Dungeons

venus.4509

it’s a shame really, I always felt the dungeons provided another set of lore to the world were Fractals to me just really explain anything and is just there to be there but this also just IMO.

Dungeons

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

How about bring back the way dungeons use to work? Use to be a great way to make some gold and have fun doing it. Now since you have changed the gold factor is is just not worth doing. That is unless you want Achievements or titles.

Dungeons

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You get more now since you get more tokens and lower tier materials from items + they take less time with the elite specs.

Dungeons

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

Dungeons, along submarine combat and -to some extent- PvP and WvW is abandoned content.

Dungeons

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Dungeons, along submarine combat and -to some extent- PvP and WvW is abandoned content.

It would be more correct to say that dungeons were retained for legacy reasons, and that fractals replaced them. At this stage all signs point to this continuing to be the direction anet carry small group content, along with new open world challenges.

Underwater combat is not “abandoned”, but rather, it is retained only as a small portion of maps, because it presents challenges to the enjoyment of players. Since the ones mentioned in red posts have all been identical to the problems faced by 3D “flying” combat in other games (cough wow), it’s likely this is because players mostly don’t enjoy trying to fight underwater — and not because the skills are underdeveloped, but because it’s hard to deal with three dimensional positioning of enemies.

PvP and WvW see active and constant development effort. Saying they are abandoned flies directly in the face of all available evidence. You can say you don’t like the developments, or that you think anet are not doing a good job with those game modes, but seriously … “abandoned” something that has seen changes to queuing, MMR, reward models, new maps, new achievements, and significant player interaction directly with the developers?

Dungeons

zealex.9410

to much work for no profit mate

they also said they wanted dungeons to be the first step of new players. What will new players thing about the rest of the game when they encounter all the bugs?

Dungeons

Buran.3796

Underwater combat is not “abandoned”, but rather, it is retained only as a small portion of maps, because it presents challenges to the enjoyment of players.

…it’s likely this is because players mostly don’t enjoy trying to fight underwater — and not because the skills are underdeveloped, but because it’s hard to deal with three dimensional positioning of enemies.

Dungeons and submarine combat is abandoned content; ANet won’t create new dungeons and they butchered all the rewards from the current ones; ANet stopped developening of new skins for underwater weapons years ago, won’t create any submarine legendary weapon of second generation and with HoT they released the Revenant with 3 of the 5 legends without any underwater skills (also, the 2 ones which have submarine skills use the same skills that on land). The lack of interest from ANet in new underwater content is blatant. Is abandoned content, don’t use euphemisms here.

PvP and WvW see active and constant development effort. Saying they are abandoned flies directly in the face of all available evidence. You can say you don’t like the developments, or that you think anet are not doing a good job with those game modes, but seriously … “abandoned” something that has seen changes to queuing, MMR, reward models, new maps, new achievements, and significant player interaction directly with the developers?

PvP and WvW are -again, to some extent in this particular case- abandoned content.

The drive of WvW were the matchups, the server proud and guild proud; ANet killed the matchup forums because “the toxiticy” which was a fair criticism, but having people apassionated abou that game mode (which was treated as a third class citizen for years) was a good thing. Since the release of the game the number of servers have been halved and the current population is less than a quarter; most of the most competitive and celebrated guilds faded away, dissolved, or entered in a unstopable spiral of decay as the remaining servers dim. We who behold the golden era of WvW just wait in silence until the sunset reaches the last server of Tyria.

PvP had a bit better treatment, mostly in form of rewards and pro tournaments, but is impossible to run a competitive game with aspirations to become a e-sport if you only release balance patches four times a year. Initially PvP was shaped to be a sorce of income to ANet, because the tounaments had an entrance fee in gems. That didn’t work and then they tried instead to use juicy pro tournamnents to lure new players to the game, but the success (in terms of views) was low so they chose to stop the bleed of resources. Lately they offered a carrot with the season 5 rewards just to turn it into a stick in the season 6, to force PvP players to play PvE, which is ultimately what sustains the game.

This isn’t an opinion, I have nothing to blame to ANet: is their game, their business and they do as good as they can. But you can’t run PvP and WvW using just half dozen of developers. People only will play those parts of the game if they find fun on them and that can cardly be done if the landscape lacks the conditions to provide that fun (balance, decent rewards, variety, decent flux of new content…).

(edited by Buran.3796)

Dungeons

Posted by: CAA.9653

CAA.9653

1. Keep dungeons as is, but scale reward to the effort (in estimated minutes) it takes to complete the dungeon path. It doesn’t even have to be gold or item drops. That would mess up the game economy. Just give us more tokens we can trade to vendors.

2. Add new, harder paths with greater rewards to all dungeons. The dungeons have already been created, so add new mechanics, bosses, mobs, and challenges to new paths. It’s a relatively easy fix (compared to making completely new dungeons/fractals) that will make players happy for a short while. In the meantime, keep making new dungeons and new paths.

People don’t like dungeons because it became repetitive to complete the same dungeon cycles over and over again. And we skip the paths that are too long. Make those paths worthwhile, and we will do them. Let’s face it, the problem isn’t that we don’t like killing mobs and bosses. That’s the whole freaking game. We just don’t like killing the same mobs and bosses in the same places.

Eventually, if there are enough dungeon paths (say 5 or more per dungeon) with adjusted reward for our efforts the problem is more or less fixed.

Guardian – Cameid, but my friends call me Cam

Dungeons

Sublimatio.6981

ANet won’t create new dungeons and they butchered all the rewards from the current ones

no. properly ran dungeon tours are still one of the best ways to earn money. especially if you have recipes for exotic trinkets (for example 2 arah paths is bonus 5g for p4 recipe). if you dont have recipes, you can salvage rares/exotics for leather, insignias and ecto. + each path gives you ~0.8-1.8g + a lot of coin purses + backpieces with jewels worth 30-60s + a lot of champ bags + greens and blues + lodestones + 5g and 150 tokens every 8 paths.
dungeons are great because the rewards scale with speed and skill, thats why player level was overall better before HoT came out.

(edited by Sublimatio.6981)

Dungeons

Henry.5713

it’s about decency and being professional, not profit

Exactly this. Would be great if they returned TA Fw/Up someday.

Dungeons

Sublimatio.6981

what im most kittened about is blocking bugs. se p2 after taskmaster – event to gather glowy rocks very often fails to trigger, cant complete dungeon.. also arah p2 first boss often won’t get hostile

Dungeons

Posted by: Savvy.3258

Savvy.3258

As a new player, I would have enjoyed dungeons being a thing. I’d use it to get “cheap” (paid for in time) exotic gear and explore yet another area of the game… seeing as events I find dull and crafting an uphill grind. To me that makes sense: you reach level cap, you do dungeons to get exotics, fractals to get ascended, raids to get legendaries. You have a system of progression and something to shoot for (so important in an MMO, must have absolute time sinks with the promise of a shiny at the end). But dungeons are pointless!

Stat combinations, that’s what I’d aim to change: make dungeon token gear stat selectable and add a worthwhile daily and dungeons will be back in force. Simple as that. Why hasn’t this happened? Why are devs not paying attention to their own game?

To illustrate a point: what’s up with me not being able to hide player’s names, guild tags and titles whilst in a squad?! It’s unbearable! Game is at least five years old, this should have been addressed in month three. So I’ll say it again, why are devs not paying attention to their own game?

Dungeons

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

Dungeons are still a low-key thing, at least the easy paths. “Fwd/up” groups for Twilight Arbor fill up in seconds with people farming tokens for armor and weapon skins, legendary gifts, condi runes, etc. I’m about to start working HotW into my daily rounds (gotta have that heavy bear hat…) and I just hope it’s almost as lively.

Dungeons

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

it’s a shame really, I always felt the dungeons provided another set of lore to the world were Fractals to me just really explain anything and is just there to be there but this also just IMO.

Lore is relevant the first time you run each path with a group specifically set to not skip the cut scenes.
After that it’s skip skip skip.
And Fractals are lore rich as well.
Just not as obvious.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Dungeons

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Since Anet is doing an overhaul with pvp sigils, we can hopefully expect new sigil types in pve as well. Maybe help revitalise dungeons by replacing the current dungeon sigils with new accountbound sigils since they’re currently obsolete and nobody uses them (e.g. sigil of dreams, etc)

Dungeons

Buran.3796

ANet won’t create new dungeons and they butchered all the rewards from the current ones

no. properly ran dungeon tours are still one of the best ways to earn money. especially if you have recipes for exotic trinkets (for example 2 arah paths is bonus 5g for p4 recipe). if you dont have recipes, you can salvage rares/exotics for leather, insignias and ecto. + each path gives you ~0.8-1.8g + a lot of coin purses + backpieces with jewels worth 30-60s + a lot of champ bags + greens and blues + lodestones + 5g and 150 tokens every 8 paths.
dungeons are great because the rewards scale with speed and skill, thats why player level was overall better before HoT came out.

Man, I can stack so much money in an hour of just gathering logs and mining ore in a few selected maps and areas in the open game map that in terms of gold rewards and time expent dungeons will never be profitable or a right choice again.

You rely on other people and some kind of coordination to complete dungeons in speedruns; you need to rely on noone to double those earnings doing gathering tracks, plus you need minimal space management in your character to do these tracks, whereas dungeons are constantly filling your inventory with crap of barely any value.

The butchered the rewards, so now the searching tool is almost empty most of the time.

Dungeons

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

One of the main reasons behind Anet abandoning dungeons is that they couldn’t have been bothered to fix bugs. If they had the energy and will to fix them, it’s entirely possible that dungeons would still be a supported content.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Dungeons

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

I loved dungeons. The main reason I stopped doing them was because I finished the dungeoneer achievement (I had a LOT of fun on the way), and I felt it was time to move on to other content. I would love to see a few more dungeons, with equivalent long-term collections connected to them. Of course they also need to have good rewards.

Raids and fractals are great, but dungeons had large maps that fractals don’t. Dungeons utilized areas of the game like portals,stealth,movement skills,etc that raids and fractals rarely utilize. I liked skipping trash mobs, it was something besides combat. There was more variety to the skill set.

Dungeons

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

One of the main reasons behind Anet abandoning dungeons is that they couldn’t have been bothered to fix bugs. If they had the energy and will to fix them, it’s entirely possible that dungeons would still be a supported content.

They have both the energy & the will to work on other stuff, that is a bigger bang for their buck. The way they engineered dungeons made them inherently difficult to update, including fixing bugs and keeping up with power creep of skills & builds.

Put another way, the same will & energy that it would take to fix a few bugs for dungeons could go into starting a fresh fractal map. Dungeons still work, they still offer substantial rewards — they just aren’t as interesting to long-time veterans because they haven’t kept pace, because we’ve done them all many, many, many times.

I’d love to see the worst bugs fixed and the silliest encounters updated. It just doesn’t seem like a good use of ANet’s time, as long as there are so many other things that the community also wants.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Dungeons

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Dungeons still work

Not a completely accurate statement, there are several dungeons that literally do not work. There is a bug with the cutscene at the end of aetherblade after the final boss that pauses the dungeon until everyone manually force quits the game (before receiving rewards). A bug where first boss in arah p2 literally just won’t go into combat.

There are actual game breaking bugs in dungeons. I ran these dungeons for the first time in about a year this week, and I encountered them both on my first run. I don’t think (obviously bigger sample size would be better) they are rare.

Dungeons

Henry.5713

It comes down to support, updates and most of all loot.

Dungeon loot is just so terribly outdated nowadays. An idea would be to add ascended gear to the dungeon vendor. This would keep new players in dungeons past their first exotic set and allow them to get ready for Fractals much more easily. They would still keep anything else that is related to AR strictly in Fractals of course.
There could also be minis, food, goodies, potions and toys. Anything to spend tokens on for anyone no longer interested in ascended gear.

Adding existing items to a vendor wouldn’t require that much work and therefor won’t be a burden on their already limited time. But that alone would work wonders and allow new players to experience something so fun while also getting some veterans back into running dungeons.

Dungeons

Posted by: Fancypants.9705

Fancypants.9705

Very true.. I have a few recipes and they are great money makers. The Replicator – 28-40g everyone 200 tokens…