Dungeons & Leaderboards

Dungeons & Leaderboards

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

Hey there!
We have been “promised” that leaderboards would soon go online both for WvW, PvP and overall achievements. Which basically means there won’t be any PvE leaderboards.
So I was just wondering if you’re considering doing leaderboards for PvE, more specifically dungeons. A lot of criticism at GW2 is the lack of end-game content, and i believe this would be a step in the right direction.
I for one almost NEVER do any dungeons, because I don’t like to be grinding the same paths over and over again for armor sets. Secondly they are simply too easy. Even though the mobs might have a lot of health, there is very little risk (even at high lvl fractals). I just enter a dungeon with a random PvP build and do fine without any sorts of team-communication.
Leaderboards would change this, because no matter how easy the dungeon is you will have to compete against other players, and other players are a constantly changing variable.

So what should be on the leaderboards?
There could be various stuff in there, and i’ll start off by listing the most obvious ones. As i said, i am not the huge dungeon-grinder so suggestions are much appreciated!

- List of the 50(or unlimited) fastest completions of each explorable dungeon path.
- ^ Same as above but with full clearance, meaning you would have to kill all mobs so no skipping.
- The least damage taken as a team (don’t know if this would even be possible to calculate)

This would give PvE / Dungeons some end-game content because groups and guilds would try to optimize their communications and team-setups to get rank 1. Atm builds do not matter at all, which i must add is great to some extend. Rarely people are looking for specific builds/classes.
I do however not believe a leaderboard would change that, since casual players would still be able to complete the dungeons easily enough.

There could even be an option to switch leaderboard tracking on/off at the dungeon entrance (if people don’t want to have a bad ranking), as well as creating a team-name. If people choose not to create a team-name, the name could simply be the person entering’s name + Team, just like PvP.

I am just brainstorming here, so if you think this is a good/bad idea please reply. If by any chance a developer would see this, is there anything similar to this already in the making?

Discuss and suggest!

TL;DR
Would leaderboards and rankings for fastest completed dungeon paths be a solution to the end-game “problem”?

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

GWSCR.com

Sadly noone cares.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: Makato.3517

Makato.3517

This is a well developed website and i have to say kudos. The problem i see is that the records are based off the clearing times. Well that is all in all good but remember that you loss the chances of getting loot on speed clearing. This was mentioned before by arena net.

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

DC Heroes online had a summary for each instance so you could see the damage and healing for each character and the overall time taken. If the team was fast enough they could get a speed achievement. You could tell which dps characters were pulling their weight and who weren’t. It suited that game. I don’t think it would suit guild wars and the teamwork needed to tackle dungeons.

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: Master Archer Nente.9284

Master Archer Nente.9284

Like mentioned above: GWSCR.com

Power has been trying to get people to be interested in it for a while but sadly it hasn’t really taken off like it was in GW1.

Character: Kyou Fujibayashi ~Mesmer
Guilds: Tears of the Ascended [ToA] | Legion of Dhuum[LoD]

Dungeons & Leaderboards

KrisHQ.4719

I didn’t know of that website, but that was exactly what i had in mind.
How is the completion-time submitted? Only with video evidence, or how does it work?
Also a shame (as already mentioned) that all these are speed-runs therefore include skipping content. There is also no way to view the members who were part of the run (unless they somehow created an account).

I honestly think very few people know about this site, and therefore it is not very popular. Having an official leaderboard would definitely help, as everyone running dungeons would know about it

(edited by KrisHQ.4719)

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Lots of people from gw1 know the site but almost none of them do still play gw2.
Skipping trash is much more rewarding than killing. You save so much time and the most money comes from tokens. I’d be horribly poor if i had always killed everything in my way.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: Chryzo.8906

Chryzo.8906

That kind of leaderboard would be detrimental to PvE. Since to clean as fast as possible dungeons you would only take some professions and not others. Same for less damage taken, etc…

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

That kind of leaderboard would be detrimental to PvE. Since to clean as fast as possible dungeons you would only take some professions and not others. Same for less damage taken, etc…

Because pugs would have any chance in hell of competing with actual teams who work on times?

No.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Dungeons & Leaderboards

KrisHQ.4719

Basically what Gab said. I have adressed this in my WoT, and there is also a suggestion to fix this.
But it is indeed something that has to be taken into consideration.
Teams / Groups / Parties should accept if they wanted to submit the run to the leaderboards. With a LFG-tool it would be fairly easy to find like-minded members, so that people would still be able to complete a dungeon casually.
Because PUGs looking for specifics classes is not something we would want.

I do however know that there will be try-hards out there, only wanting to complete dungeons with the same team-setup as rank 1. A lot of people tend to go for FoTM builds already (CoF Path 1).
But it would also encourage organized groups to experiment with other setups and synergies.

(edited by KrisHQ.4719)

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

GWSCR.com is a nice site but in-game system would be much more smoother.

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

We currently have a pretty major value system split.

Once you’ve hit a equilibrium of satisfactory armor level, a person’s got two choices for how they want to continue playing the game. They can either grow their character aesthetically and are gold/token focused, or they can grow their character by exploring their skill curve/build options and are fight focused.

I think both of these are valid ways to want to grow your character and continue playing the game. And I would hate for Arenanet to pick and choose which they wanted us to identify with in perpetuity.

That said, I’m a big proponent of tapering the extremes of our behavior and bringing the community back to a common dungeon experience. What I mean by that is, in other games, it’s possible to run a dungeon with differing desires and goals but experience the content in the same way. I know that must seem really bizarre if your experiences are limited to the GW franchise, but we’re far more capable of cohabitation than the current forum divisiveness would have you believe. Largely because we’re not nearly as black and white as we like to pretend we are; focusing on aesthetic growth or skill curve/build exploration are not mutually exclusive desires, have degrees of strength, and how much emphasis you’re putting on one over the other can change from one day to the next.

If we were able to get back to a common dungeon experience, we could revisit the concept of a leader-board. We would all be on the same page experiencing the same thing, and as a community could come to common consensus of what factor of performance we would like to value, as opposed to having one imposed on us.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: kipz.8701

kipz.8701

We need, damage done, healing done, average dps, downed/deaths, and time taken.

Only then can we start to think about not full speed clearing but fully clearing since it will increase the damage done and also average dps. Healing NEEDS to be taken into account also. Too many times are healing/support roles being given the short straw.

Dungeons & Leaderboards

Posted by: Master Archer Nente.9284

Master Archer Nente.9284

We need, damage done, healing done, average dps, downed/deaths, and time taken.

Only then can we start to think about not full speed clearing but fully clearing since it will increase the damage done and also average dps. Healing NEEDS to be taken into account also. Too many times are healing/support roles being given the short straw.

That would be silly because that would force a Holy Trinity.

Character: Kyou Fujibayashi ~Mesmer
Guilds: Tears of the Ascended [ToA] | Legion of Dhuum[LoD]