Dungeons and inflation

Dungeons and inflation

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

If you speed run a series of dungeons you can make money, but salvaging even a handful of mats from an Orrian event with hundreds of enemies is just way more cost efficient. Silk is going for the better part of 3 silver per piece. Heavy bags are no small prize either.

Do dungeons need a price bump to stay relevant? Let’s imagine silk goes to 7 silver per piece. T6 mats might go for a gold a piece; they are both well on their way there. Will anyone do dungeons? Is there going to be a point when dungeon rewards inflate with the economy?

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Dungeon rewards ARE inflating the economy, how do you think people are getting all the gold to buy these mats?

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

#SummonJohnSmith

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Dungeon rewards ARE inflating the economy, how do you think people are getting all the gold to buy these mats?

They are, but so is the level 2 kittenwad killing scales in Queensdale. Everything adds up. The prices of everything is going to go up and up and up but dungeon rewards stay the same. It’s already to the point dungeons are questionably good income. Give it a month and maybe dungeons are bad income.

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: Jiyn.3158

Jiyn.3158

In a normal tour (AC 1/2/3, CM 1/2/3, TA Up/Forward, SE 1/3, CoF 1/2, HotW 1, CoE 1/2/3, Arah 1/2/3) you can earn 25g+ in roughly 4 hours which turns out to be 6-ish gold an hour. If you were doing a quick tour (AC 1/2, CM 1/2/3, TA Up/Forward, SE 1/3, CoF 1, CoE 1/3, Arah 1/2/3) it would be 20g+ in roughly 3 hours which turns out to be almost 7 gold an hour. Also remember the tokens in which you can turn them into gold as well.

Of course all this is based off of efficiency of the team. I don’t think you can farm that much gold an hour unless you get really lucky on drops in my opinion.

Never trust a Stormcrow.

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

I like doing dungeons but I definitely don’t think they need an increase in reward. If anything they should lower the gold rewards to stop the already ridiculous gold prices in the market. Silk prices are an anomaly, although John Smith has said that it is intended I strongly disagree on this subject. The crafting of ascended light armor is significantly more expensive than the other armor classes. I can’t comprehend the idea of how cloths are balanced in this game.

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

RIP my gilded infusion from last summer

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

How do those work?

been pondering the thought of picking up a infusion for tooling around.

Dungeons and inflation

nearlight.3064

How do those work?

been pondering the thought of picking up a infusion for tooling around.

Its like account gold find from achievements. The infusion grants a +20% gold boost from any coin that is dropped by an enemy or boss.. the thing is bosses don’t drop raw coin like they used to, now its just champ bags. I can’t remember the numbers exactly, but last year when CoF farming was all the rage, a boss in a dungeon could drop say 20 silver. The infusion would boost that silver dropped to 24 silver.. so it was a pretty significant gold increase from running dungeons with that system. Last august they changed the gold gained from bosses to champ bags and just granted a bonus chest for running that path the first time for that day, and neither or those is effected by the infusion.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

ahh thats what I was wondering.

I have heard that it does ok for the extra silver in Edge, and WvW for fights. it tends to add up.

But when dungeons are concerned I just never really paid attention to any coin that trash dropped or what not. So on those occasions where you DO kill off the trash you get an extra bit of something.

meh,

Dungeons and inflation

nearlight.3064

I have heard that it does ok for the extra silver in Edge, and WvW for fights. it tends to add up.

But when dungeons are concerned I just never really paid attention to any coin that trash dropped or what not. So on those occasions where you DO kill off the trash you get an extra bit of something.

meh,

yeah it made me sad. I replaced it with a MF infusion for the extra magic find but I still hate feeling like I wasted 20 laurels.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

meh,

yeah it made me sad. I replaced it with a MF infusion for the extra magic find but I still hate feeling like I wasted 20 laurels.

That’s funny because Anet is currently trying to nullify MF by moving away from mobs that drop loot and towards chest rewards that aren’t affected by MF.

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

if dungeons didnt had such high rewards already
your silk and other stuff wouldnt be worth that much gold since gold would be worth more

dungeons definitly dont need more gold

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Dungeons and inflation

nearlight.3064

meh,

That’s funny because Anet is currently trying to nullify MF by moving away from mobs that drop loot and towards chest rewards that aren’t affected by MF.

Hahaha yeah, and its not like the gilded one would make much of a difference.. and I wvw on necro a lot so I get a decent amount of enemy corpses to loot, and its not too uncommon for me to get rares and sometimes exotics from them.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Some comments…

Wages (whether farming open world or dungeons) are not necessarily tied to inflation. Other factors matter significantly. You can increase wages considerably and have low inflation. You can have stagnant wages and high inflation. You can have high wages and high inflation.

Inflation is a measure of prices. Prices are controlled by supply and demand. The prices of high demand low supply items have indeed gone up. Low demand high supply items unsurprisingly have not. Wages do come into the demand section, since ability to pay a price premium for a low supply item will cause a price to rise.

In the real world, we have necessities: food, shelter, energy. These are mandatory purchases. There is a minimum of supply that MUST be consumed and demanded. This means that there is at some point a limit to savings. The rate of savings cannot hit 100% of income, even if we experienced hyper-deflation. In Guild Wars 2, there are no necessities. Wealthy players can and do hoard their income. They produce no Demand in the economy because they spend only a tiny fraction of their income on anything.

I suspect that the gold supply among active players is increasing enormously. I personally have several thousand gold with nothing that interests me to spend it on. I know I am not alone. It isn’t unreasonable that is Anet was to introduce Legendary Armor, or another set of highly desireable Legendary Weapons that many players who have enormous savings would be tempted to spend. The prices of t6 mats, despite what many will tell you, have been fairly stable over long periods. If there are new legendaries announced in some future patch, you will see what instability looks like. What happens when 2,000 very wealthy players all want to make “the new legendaries” all at the same time? Well, good luck to any semi-casual player who has any interest in buying t6 mats for any other purpose.

When t6 mats explode in price due to new legendaries, so will exotic weapons. Guess what happens if exotic weapons skyrocket in price? Yup, precursors will skyrocket too.

Conclusion: hoard t6 now, buy your precursor now if there is a current legendary that you want. Retained wealth will devour current income if and when new legendaries are announced. Oh and I hope anet has good bot detection, because if t6 mats hit 1.5g each you’ll see a lot of rangers running around cursed shore.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Dungeons and inflation

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

I make like 100g a week and I barely play dungeons now a days. I average about 1-2 dungeon tours and 1-2arah solos a week. Considering how many people can do dungeon tours now, I am sure a good amount of people are making well over 100g a week.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Dungeons and inflation

nearlight.3064

Some comments…

Wages (whether farming open world or dungeons) are not necessarily tied to inflation. Other factors matter significantly. You can increase wages considerably and have low inflation. You can have stagnant wages and high inflation. You can have high wages and high inflation.

Inflation is a measure of prices. Prices are controlled by supply and demand. The prices of high demand low supply items have indeed gone up. Low demand high supply items unsurprisingly have not. Wages do come into the demand section, since ability to pay a price premium for a low supply item will cause a price to rise.

In the real world, we have necessities: food, shelter, energy. These are mandatory purchases. There is a minimum of supply that MUST be consumed and demanded. This means that there is at some point a limit to savings. The rate of savings cannot hit 100% of income, even if we experienced hyper-deflation. In Guild Wars 2, there are no necessities. Wealthy players can and do hoard their income. They produce no Demand in the economy because they spend only a tiny fraction of their income on anything.

I suspect that the gold supply among active players is increasing enormously. I personally have several thousand gold with nothing that interests me to spend it on. I know I am not alone. It isn’t unreasonable that is Anet was to introduce Legendary Armor, or another set of highly desireable Legendary Weapons that many players who have enormous savings would be tempted to spend. The prices of t6 mats, despite what many will tell you, have been fairly stable over long periods. If there are new legendaries announced in some future patch, you will see what instability looks like. What happens when 2,000 very wealthy players all want to make “the new legendaries” all at the same time? Well, good luck to any semi-casual player who has any interest in buying t6 mats for any other purpose.

When t6 mats explode in price due to new legendaries, so will exotic weapons. Guess what happens if exotic weapons skyrocket in price? Yup, precursors will skyrocket too.

Conclusion: hoard t6 now, buy your precursor now if there is a current legendary that you want. Retained wealth will devour current income if and when new legendaries are announced. Oh and I hope anet has good bot detection, because if t6 mats hit 1.5g each you’ll see a lot of rangers running around cursed shore.

This is all very much true. Income elasticity changes only work on a micro scale model and are lost on the macro level in regards to inflation.

And yeah, about that conclusion, I felt it when I made howler 3ish weeks ago. I bought T6 mats 2 weeks before my precursor because I had heard that anet was banning waves of bots around that time and the new LS was going to bring players back, so it was reasonable to assume they would spike. Additionally my precusor had risen by over 100 gold since June, and while it appears to be settling now, I got it in another 2 weeks of gold farming after the T6, so it wouldnt go up anymore, but now it seems to have lulled for some reason.

I’m making frostfang next, and while I’ve been a bit busy lately to do too much PvE, I worry that the prices may rise if anet drops a new legendary bomb on us. I worry even more that I will have just finished making frostfang right before some newer, cooler legendary axe comes out, and that I’d feel nothing but regret.. I originally planned to wait for new legendaries to come out, but I really felt the need to make the epic frostfang howler combo, and anet could release new legendaries well over a year from now from all we know..

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..