Dungeons for solo players

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Akisame.9508

Akisame.9508

I play solo alot, that’s my playstyle, my choice on how I like to play the game, regardless of what kind of game it is. Why must I be penalized because of my playstyle? Because I like to solo I cannot do any dungeons? yesterday I wanted to do a dungeon and stood at the entrance for an hour and not one single player came near the area looking for a group, I didn’t even see a single group enter the dungeon! At this rate I’ll never get the upgrades I want and it honestly feels like I’m being penalized for being a soloer. There is enough content already that requires me to work with others, like bosses, why are you demanding dungeons to be the same? Please allow a single player version of the dungeons so we can progress in the game in the manner we like to play.

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

MMOs generally support a variety of play styles. GW2 supports soloing better than many, and there’s a large variety of solo-friendly content.

Sounds to me like your issue is more with the fact that you want stuff (dungeon gear) but don’t want to do the stuff to get it (group up) than a perceived lack of solo support in GW2.

(edited by Tulisin.6945)

Posted by: Albane.8367

Albane.8367

Lion’s Arch is where you go when looking for a group. Just watch the map chat and throw out your LFG every now and again as well.

Posted by: Link.4607

Link.4607

I sort of agree with OP (sort of in that I’m not as interested in loot). I would really enjoy some solo dungeons. Loot would be nice, but one-man dungeons would be great even without it. Just something I could go into and play. It would be fantastic to have something like a spelunking expedition, uncovering some lore based stuff connecting GW1 and 2, or about the less popular races and beasts (dredge, giants, Orr, etc.).

Or perhaps something similar to Fractals, where the challenge would be to see how far you can make it. How good you personally are against an endless horde. Sort of like the little bonus missions in Kurzick and Luxon land in GW1. Or in Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, where on your home island you could lift up a boulder and fight huge numbers of enemies for a small reward.

Posted by: baalblade.8465

baalblade.8465

MMOs generally support a variety of play styles. GW2 supports soloing better than many, and there’s a large variety of solo-friendly content.

Sounds to me like your issue is more with the fact that you want stuff (dungeon gear) but don’t want to do the stuff to get it (group up) than a perceived lack of solo support in GW2.

Not as well as GW1. Which is shame they took it off. Which what Guild War all about and makes it unique different from WOW and other MMO. Now GW2 dungeon is just another “WOW clone”

I mean we not always have 5 friends online who want to run the same thing you want.

What happen if you and 2 of your friends online and want to run FOTM level 50? who gonna fill the other 2 spots? public noobs which most likely quit due to drama emo stuff?

Posted by: FallLeavesSaint.8409

FallLeavesSaint.8409

I think explorable dungeons work best with other players but it would be better to be able to do the story run through solo or to offer the service, like in guild wars 1, where you could use your alt characters as computer controlled henchmen.

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

I play solo alot, that’s my playstyle, my choice on how I like to play the game, regardless of what kind of game it is. Why must I be penalized because of my playstyle? Because I like to solo I cannot do any dungeons? yesterday I wanted to do a dungeon and stood at the entrance for an hour and not one single player came near the area looking for a group, I didn’t even see a single group enter the dungeon! At this rate I’ll never get the upgrades I want and it honestly feels like I’m being penalized for being a soloer. There is enough content already that requires me to work with others, like bosses, why are you demanding dungeons to be the same? Please allow a single player version of the dungeons so we can progress in the game in the manner we like to play.

I would love heros back as much as any other GW 1 player who did dungeons with their heros and maybe 1 or 2 friends and their heros but please remember that GW 1 didn’t get heros until Nightfall. That’s 1.5 years after it came out and it did kill the community to a certain extent. I very much doubt Anet will be releasing heros or even henchmen for GW 2.

As for what you experience, it seems to be me that because you are a soloer, you have no knowledge of the community and as such don’t know where to go for groups. You make groups in Lion’s Arch, sometimes you see looking for group messages on map chat (which I am betting you disabled due to being a soloer) in the zone where the dungeon is but most people come to the zone already in groups. There is also the wonderful site http://www.gw2lfg.com

That all said, there is zero reason to go into a dungeon for upgrades. If you are soloer, you can just solo grind money and buy all the stat upgrades you need from trading post and/or craft them. Only reason to go into dungeon is for specific looks and that’s a trade-off you make. I.e. not be solo for the duration of a dungeon. If you are unwilling to make that sacrifice, well… don’t go for dungeon armour?

PS. I would also like to add that countless people have soloed certain GW 2 dungeons as they are now. It just takes a long time.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

(edited by Tinni.4351)

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

You bought an MMO, Massively MULTIPLAYER online game and you’re mad you need to play with others…… It’s like if i were to buy a RPG like Dragon Age or Skyrim and then get mad that i can’t group up with other players.

Just LFG in Lions Arch for whatever dungeon you want or use the LFG site. It’s not hard.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

Posted by: Darakan.2180

Darakan.2180

You do realize you’re playing an MMO right? … I can understand soloing I do it myself, but I’m not against playing with others at the same time. I think it’s fun playing through dungeons in a group actually. Especially if you get a good team together. Just don’t stand in front of the dungeon waiting for someone. Post on the chat board you are looking for a group for said dungeon! Of course you aren’t going to find a group just standing there, and most people aren’t going to ask what you are doing. I see a lot of people post they are LFGs in Lions Arch, so just go there and wait for someone to say something about your dungeon and try to tag along with them…

Posted by: prigogine.1689

prigogine.1689

I too like (or prefer) to solo, although I do group as well. Perhaps adding Henchmen like in GW1 would help fill the void when needing extra players for a dungeon. It would be nice. I unfortunately joined a “quieter” server and rarely do I see anyone requesting anything. Give me HENCHMEN!!! :P

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Want to play dungeons solo? Go solo dungeons. If you fail, learn to play or stick to groups.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Iconik.8712

Iconik.8712

I like the idea of solo dungeons.

Oh Hey Girl – Troll Thief Extraordinaire Tarnished Coast – www.twitch.tv/iconikk

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

There are dungeons you can solo, just search these threads. The content was never designed with solo’ing in mind, but being able to solo hard dungeon content is certainly a challenge worth pursuing for people that like that kind of stuff.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

I honestly dont get why people feel so much b**t hurt when someone is asking for solo option in dungeons, dose it bothers you that much if someone will be able to solo dungeon and enjoy the game in their own way? Will it affect you in anyway?
If you are not in to solo than you can just ignore it right?
Also the MMO=group play argument is realy re****ed, MMO stands for massively multiplayer online, which means that lots of people play in the same game throu internet but it dosent mean that they play it together as a group, playing in group is only part of it and one of many playstyles in mmo.

Also playing solo in dungeons alows you freedome in what you want to do, you dont have annoy people when you want to see all of the cineamtics or if you want to see what npc have to say, it also alows you to explore the dungeon for many hours to look throu every nook and cranny of the map, you know to “Explore” the dungeon, in which case most of people ignore it because they want to finish the dungeon as fast as possible. Not to meantion it allows you to learn something about lore of this dungeon whitout being rushed by others.

Cold Hearted Person.6154

As for what you experience, it seems to be me that because you are a soloer, you have no knowledge of the community and as such don’t know where to go for groups. You make groups in Lion’s Arch, sometimes you see looking for group messages on map chat (which I am betting you disabled due to being a soloer) in the zone where the dungeon is but most people come to the zone already in groups. There is also the wonderful site http://www.gw2lfg.com

Ok what? so soloers=unsocial or something? Im soloer and i am social to
the point of takeing part in every troll disscusion on map chat on evey map im at, not to meantion i also DO play in party like for fractals and so, and in what way being a solo player is conected to turning off map chat, as i said im solo player and i have never turned map chat off.

p.s. This coment dosent have much to do whit the topic but i just wanted to coment on that.
oh, and i know that im responding to an 5 months old post but since ther are people that still post in this thread so why not.

(edited by Cold Hearted Person.6154)

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Ya, I don’t get people saying “it’s an mmo everything needs parties”. GW2 is a game where the individual can and should be encouraged to improve their play. For me, that journey is what it’s all about. The mystery of how to win or whether you can win.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

I honestly dont get why people feel so much b**t hurt when someone is asking for solo option in dungeons, dose it bothers you that much if someone will be able to solo dungeon and enjoy the game in their own way? Will it affect you in anyway?
Also the MMO=group play argument is realy re****ed, MMO stands for massively multiplayer online, which means that lots of people play in the same game throu internet but it dosent mean that they play it together as a group, playing in group is only part of it and one of many playstyles in mmo.

Also playing solo in dungeons alows you freedome in what you want to do, you dont have annoy people when you want to see all of the cineamtics or if you want to see what npc have to say, it also alows you to explore the dungeon for many hours to look throu every nook and cranny of the map, you know to “Explore” the dungeon, in which case most of people ignore it because they want to finish the dungeon as fast as possible. Not to meantion it allows you to learn something about lore of this dungeon whitout being rushed by others.

There are already solo options in dungeons: go in and solo them.

There are a few paths which you can’t solo like CoF p1, Arah p1, CoE p2 and 3 and some others I’m forgetting, due to mechanics that essentially kitten your progress.

Arah p2 isn’t hard to solo, Arah p3 endboss can be hard, but is possible, Arah p4 I’m not so sure (Grenth), CoE p1 is soloable and not even that hard to solo, AC p1 is easily soloable etc.

Want to solo? Go solo, no one is stopping you. You’ll probably spend a good amount of time in the dungeon, but you should be able to pull it off. Especially seeing how you can die, respawn and repair ad infinitum, unlike GW1 where solo’ing certain areas meant dead=restart.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: bartem.2731

bartem.2731

1) You should use gw2lfg.com and ask for a friendly group
2) I think your desire is very reasonable, but anet feels like creating multiple difficulties per dungeon or 1/5/10 ppl variations of dungeons is not the best return on their resources. I can’t comment on that as the game seems to be working quite well as is. In fact, I hated group play in wow so I am quite happy gw2 pushed me into a guild which I am one of the leaders of now.
3) Please do not expect all the content to be available to every person of every play style. You cannot simply create wvwvw experience for solo players, or spvp with bots for solo players again. Yes bots are a middle ground for some content but probably isn’t worthwhile for anet.
All in all, I’d love a solo dungeon as well, but can live without one.

Cold Hearted Person.6154

There are already solo options in dungeons: go in and solo them.

There are a few paths which you can’t solo like CoF p1, Arah p1, CoE p2 and 3 and some others I’m forgetting, due to mechanics that essentially kitten your progress.

Arah p2 isn’t hard to solo, Arah p3 endboss can be hard, but is possible, Arah p4 I’m not so sure (Grenth), CoE p1 is soloable and not even that hard to solo, AC p1 is easily soloable etc.

Want to solo? Go solo, no one is stopping you. You’ll probably spend a good amount of time in the dungeon, but you should be able to pull it off. Especially seeing how you can die, respawn and repair ad infinitum, unlike GW1 where solo’ing certain areas meant dead=restart.

I know i can solo some of the dungeons and in fact i did solo some of them(thou its not so easy for some profesion/builds and it take hell of a time to finish it), the thing is, what problem is in adding a solo mode that will scale the challenge for pepole who are not so good at playing, something like dificulity choice whit selection if you are entering alone or in a party(ofc the reward would be scaled in proportion to a challenge).

Ther is many mmo games that have such a feature, like an old styled point&click mmorpg Aika online, wher you have a choice before you enter a dungeon of what type of run you want to do solo/party and than you chose a difficulity easy/medium/hard, i see no problem in adding it to gw2 and it wouldnt affect party type players at all.

Also ther could be something like a reward that is only avaliable in party mode to encourage people to play in party.

p.s. im not sure if bartem.2731 was replaying to me or OP but editing my post moved it under his/her’s post.

(edited by Cold Hearted Person.6154)

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I agree with adding a solo option for story dungeons. In said cases, lower the stats of the mobs for said instances, and increase the power of the NPCs. This brings another pet peeve of mine…why are Destiny’s Edge so weak in the dungeons? Why aren’t they doing a ton of damage? I mean they supposedly almost brought down Kralkatorrik by themselves, so why the hell aren’t they level 80 in all instances?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: bartem.2731

bartem.2731

my response was to the OP. I’d love to see solo dungeons, but I bet if we had them, they’d have a whole lot of posts complaining about how easy/difficult they are and how they should be changed haha. They have their hands full with fractals and regular dungeons already.

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Thats why i sugested the ability to chose difficulity of the dungeon, i mean of course you cant make dungeons of certain difficulity to be liked by all players, ther will be some that like it and thoes that dont, but if ther is a difficulity choice and players thinks that dungeon is too hard then they can run it in easy mode, or if its too easy for them ther is also hard more.
Option to chose usualy reduce the numbers of people that complain by giving them a possibility to do something the way they want to do it.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

what is wrong with you guys? You knew this was a multiplayer game when you bought it. There is tons of single player content. If that’s not good enough than go by a single player game.

I’m all for players playing how they want to, but when you whine, complain, and expect them to put lots of resources in energy into something that would barely benefit the game, that bugs me a lot.

@baalblade wow clone? really? That’s like saying cod and battlefield are goldeneye clones because they all have guns in them where you shoot people.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

MMO’s are multiplayer games. Solo content goes against what they are similar to demanding RPG content to Call of Duty or other FPS’s.

I’m not saying you’re wrong to want solo content. It’s just that you’re playing a genre (or type) of gaming that doesn’t facilitate that with very few exceptions. For the most part, all content in GW2 is soloable. Only guild missions, dungeons, FotM, and several world bosses require a group of people.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

, Arah p4 I’m not so sure (Grenth), CoE p1 is soloable and not even that hard to solo, AC p1 is easily soloable etc.

Does your “easily soloable” include big list of exploits?

Simin will be extremely difficult with constant Petrify, low dps and slow Spark runs.
Every CoE path has laser-trap which needs at least 4 players. If we exclude that, path 1 is the only one you can’t solo. No way you will be able to hack that console.
AC P1 is soloable only for few classes (Elementalist). With buffed Hatchlings Hodgins dies really fast.

Dub.1273

AC P1 is solo’able by all professions, without skipping anything.

Dub | [rT]

Wethospu.6437

Well, I was talking about exploits. I know you have probably like 5 ways to get Hodgins disappear from the map.

Dub.1273

Nope, none.
After like 10 hours of re-trying the burrow event he sometimes gets invulnerable.

Dub | [rT]

Wethospu.6437

Unfortunately we can’t count exploits from Hodgins either.

Dub.1273

Yeah that dirty cheater…

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Solo dungeons are just a bad idea in general b/c all the really hard solo Quests in GW1 were also broken b/c some of them were too easy for one class (Spirit Spammers VS. Magni) while feeling almost impossible for anyone else who didn’t own that Class or Expansion. Or in other cases, broken by lag or cheating AI itself like Polymock usually was.

Posted by: Krakah.3582

Krakah.3582

I didn’t even see a single group enter the dungeon!

gw2lfg.com, it’s where you go to find a group. Alternatively for some real fun, you can help your server in WvW or do some SPvP.

-KNT- BG

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I support the idea of making dungeons available for solo players. Currently, most dungeons can be soloed, but since they’re recommended for a group of 5 players, it takes forever to kill bosses unless you’re a zerker warrior. I’m a zerker mesmer and the amount of time it takes to kill a boss is unbearably long that it’s just not worth the trouble to solo current dungeons; unless you’re just doing it for prestige. Anyways, I support this idea because all it is more options and it’s not taking anything away from other dungeons and players.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I don’t think we’ll ever see solo dungeons for the same reason we’ll never see organized 1v1 PvP: balance of the professions is very out of whack and solo dungeons would really put that in the forefront.

That said, this game does lack challenging content for solo PvE players. Sure, you can solo some of the group content, but you’ll have to do it purely for the fun as your rewards will not scale to time spent.

Anyway, as suggested above, many dungeons are soloable, with some professions having a much easier time than others. I’d suggest starting with SE p1.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I say just give players a way to solo the dungeons. However, instead of getting 60 tokens they will get 12. Seems fair. The 70% of level exp reward should be reduced to 1/5 of what it gives as well.

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

You all did not read the post. He stated he went to the dungeon and looked for players to do the dungeon with and there were NONE! Pay attention. I know as I did the same thing today.

Standing in LA and hollering for a group to do the Ascalonian Catacombs is about as much fun as standing in LA in GW1 hollering to sell 25 glittering dust. Yet, I find my self needing 500 freaking tears.

A dungeon group generator would be one answer. As a model look at WoW. Not my favorite answer but at least you would be able to find a group.

You could scale the dungeon to the number in the party. If five people go in it’s as is. If 3 people go in it’s 3/5th as hard etc. etc. etc. In the end it’s no different and is just as hard for everyone.

You could go back to GW1 and do the hero route.

I realize there are players who really enjoy banding together in a group of 5 and doing these. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. I like to work at my own pace.

The big excuse for 5 players is always it’s a social MMO. Well, I enjoy my social aspects out in the dynamic world of the game and not in rigid 5 man instance dungeons. I’m willing to let you have them but would like a chance to do them too. And cannot understand the elitist attitude that doing something with 4 other people is better than doing it alone or with one, two, or three other players. And why should a smaller group be penalized for doing something that is just as hard. No one wants it to be easier for smaller groups just equal.

But keep in mind that the only reason you need the 500 tears for the legendary weapon is to keep players in the 5 man dungeons. And if that’s the only way your getting players to do them your failing miserably. Because nobody is there. I went, I waited, I looked around and tried to do it myself and I gave up.

Dub.1273

If you want to play solo, learn to solo dungeons. It’s that easy.

I’m just doing 8 AC Runs on my own today because i need those 500 tokens for gift of twilight, i’d prefer to run in a group tho.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

As I said and it seems you agree there is a lack of players willing to group for these events. I went willing to group, waited and left without even finding one person willing to do the dungeon. Alone again by default.

I just don’t understand the problem with making these places accessable to everyone. With giving everyone a equal opportunity to achieve. No matter how many people in the party. I think it should scale up and down. Say a big guild with 25 players wants to hold a meta event and all 25 players want to do a dungeon I think the dungeon should scale up for them to do it. I also think it should scale down for 1-4 players. They have the technology and already use it in the game. Why not use it here and what is the real problem? That someone else might get a bit of nice gear.

This would be an excellent way of making dungeons more relevant. Give big and small guilds something to do. Achievements could be added for doing it in groups or solo. Everyone plays, everyone achieves, everyone is happy.

(edited by Myst Dawnbringer.9138)