Dungeons in new Expansions

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: lunatyk.3546

lunatyk.3546

Hi there,

I already accepted the fact that devs gave up on the dungeons for now however I think there is misconception between fractals and dungeons. Each of them should have different reason to do.

Fractals are feature packed easy or high end instances but separated from the world or story.
Dungeons on the other hand are more tied into the location in the world and story behind which gives totally different experience than fractal.

My idea to revitalize the dungeons would be to continue with story mode plus different paths as we have however the new expansions could add new weapon sets and armor sets as rewards like we have right now. It would give players new ways of experiencing the story or flavour of the location and also they could work towards their desier fancy items.
Doing that would keep fractals relevant as a mean to aquire ascended gear and provide the challange to the players while dungeons would be more story + fashion oriented.

What do you guys think about it?

Cheers.

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

Pretty sure most people would enjoy more dungeons. However, Anet has said that they are not supporting dungeons any longer, which means that there won’t be new ones. The story aspect that you are looking for that is tied to a location in the world, that is now the role that raids fill.

There is no revitalizing dungeons in this game.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Hot should ahve had a dungeon or 2 going in mor depth about rata novus and another one that goes into more depth finding out what happened inside the city of ratanovus etc and about the nightmare court. Sure we have already 1 nightmare court but this will be telling the story of the nightmare court during the hot the fall of faolain etc.

Posted by: Fluffy.1932

Fluffy.1932

We have story instances for story, and fractals for repeatable 5-man content. I think this is good and healthy for the game.

Dungeons are worse at story than new story instances because people demand that you skip cutscenes and run through as fast as possible. Most dungeon cutscenes I’ve watched on youtube because I didn’t want to form a group that was willing to take their time.

Dungeons are worse than fractals at repeatable content because they are not variable difficulty and by their nature of being tied to story include dialog that gets tedious after doing it many times (some fractals have fallen into this as well, but the design space is open for fractals to avoid this as opposed to dungeons).

In order to make dungeons, I’d imagine they have to pull people from the story and/or fractal teams. This would slow down the release of both of those types of content. I don’t think it would be worth releasing content that is mediocre at both repeatability and story, and slowing down the release of separate content that is better at its own niche.

Fluffy Fuz
The Edge of Oblivion [EDGE]

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

We have story instances for story, and fractals for repeatable 5-man content. I think this is good and healthy for the game.

Dungeons are worse at story than new story instances because people demand that you skip cutscenes and run through as fast as possible. Most dungeon cutscenes I’ve watched on youtube because I didn’t want to form a group that was willing to take their time.

Dungeons are worse than fractals at repeatable content because they are not variable difficulty and by their nature of being tied to story include dialog that gets tedious after doing it many times (some fractals have fallen into this as well, but the design space is open for fractals to avoid this as opposed to dungeons).

In order to make dungeons, I’d imagine they have to pull people from the story and/or fractal teams. This would slow down the release of both of those types of content. I don’t think it would be worth releasing content that is mediocre at both repeatability and story, and slowing down the release of separate content that is better at its own niche.

Welp for one the can make cutscenes client based instead of a forced 1 shared by everyone.

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

Welp for one the can make cutscenes client based instead of a forced 1 shared by everyone.

If I’m not mistaken, cutscenes in dungeons are already client based. At the very least, it is up to each person to skip the cutscene. If someone doesn’t skip the cutscene, it just holds up the instance from progressing for everyone else.

You can always tell the person that didn’t skip and is still watching the cutscene, because they will have the invincible tag on their buff bar, or something similar.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

I personally would like to see dungeons handled similar to gw1. In guild wars 1, you could simply explore an isolated sandbox with some procedurally generated bosses. I’d love to see something akin to black rock depths in WoW where it was literally civilization underground and there was multiple directions that you can take depending on how much time you wanted to spend. It was none linear due to how the rooms were connected and how the bosses were placed. A sorrows furnace in guild wars 2 would be great.

Posted by: Tenno.6578

Tenno.6578

Its kind of odd that they decided to stop making dungeons. especial since the end the HoT story line is a “dungeon.” It just has mechanics in it that say “im a dungeon.”

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Well then they havent stoped if you feel story instances are dungeons.
Pretty sure we will see more story instances in pof aswell.
And even more with the fractal updates.

Posted by: adragon.1234

adragon.1234

I like the idea of a single path, local story dungeon tied to a meta event. Basically put a world boss in a dungeon. There are a lot of world bosses that work well with hundreds of players, but others feel crowded and poorly utilized for large groups. My best example of this would be the modnir centaur world boss. If the events leading up to that opened up an instance for 5-player parties to get into the main camp and take down the boss, that would work better than the current system for that boss in particular. Personal opinion, I think they should take that route in the next couple new zones.

Some other bosses I think would work better as dungeons would be the Karka Queen, Admiral Covington and the Dredge Commissar.

“The only lasting peace is the peace within your own soul.” ~Ventari

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

Dungeons are no longer supported by Anet, Fractals fill the role of Dungeons.

It has been this way for years and has been reinforced by Anet’s statements.

New Dungeons will most likely never happen.