Dungeons less gold = less people for LFG?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

My Opinion
=====
Most people that do dungeons for fun, will do it several times before stopping. However, a lot of people play dungeons now to farm. Dungeons are a core part of Central Tyria. If dungeons rewards are “significantly” less, that may lead to an increase downfall of dungeons like in GW1. Where it was harder to find groups dedicated to completing a specific dungeon due to players being involved with other areas of the game. However, if dungeons gold is only slightly nerfed I don’t see a problem. Feel free to voice your thoughts.

Posted by: theURGE.2517

theURGE.2517

I’m so upset with this news, I love doing dungeons, it’s fun working with a group of people to complete it, Ive been trying to get all the tokens I can for the gear, which is already hard because some paths no one wants to do, and now with the gold being the main influence getting nerfed no one will want to waste time in dungeons, I wish they would leave dungeons alone.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

If dungeon paths pay out anything less than 1g in total (counting both the chest rewards and dropped coin), we’ll definitely see a reduction in LFG activity, and I suspect it will be significantly less than that. Probably in the 50s range. SW will look far more profitable in comparison.

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

Few thoughts:

1) From economy standpoint I can see exactly why the nerf is coming – dungeons are likely the fastest way to put gold into the system.

2) From developers standpoint I also understand why they nerf it – it is such a good money making area that people will rather farm dungeons than go into, say, fractals that take longer and result in worse rewards (which they can’t buff before nerfing the dungeon rewards without overloading system with even MORE gold).

3) From maintenance standpoint I understand them as well – they no longer have a dungeon team, so it makes sense to switch players to the content they have people familiar with instead of trying to patch content they really have no in-depth knowledge on.

4) What I don’t understand is why after HoT most new ‘dungeoneers’ will likely get their titles by PvPing instead of…running the dungeons.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

3) From maintenance standpoint I understand them as well – they no longer have a dungeon team, so it makes sense to switch players to the content they have people familiar with instead of trying to patch content they really have no in-depth knowledge on.

They have a dungeon team, they are just focusing on ten man dungeons (called “raids” in this game). I’m sure Crystal Reid’s abilities don’t suddenly become useless because you asked her to design a dungeon for five people instead of ten.

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

They have a dungeon team, they are just focusing on ten man dungeons (called “raids” in this game). I’m sure Crystal Reid’s abilities don’t suddenly become useless because you asked her to design a dungeon for five people instead of ten.

The dungeon team was fired years ago, they literally have no one with in-depth knowledge of the dungeons. Everyone who created the dungeons are gone, they’d have to spend dozens of hours going through a dungeon and figuring everything out again if they wanted to make large changes without breaking things.

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

Certainly. But if you have ever gone through a piece of code written by another person, you know that there are a lot of subtleties, and without the original person telling you why have certain things been done the way they have been done, it’s very hard to do more than simplest changes, and even those take fairly large time investment.

Since the departure of Robert Hrouda, ANet has lost the original dungeon designer. For new team it’s simply far easier to start from scratch. All the new ‘dungeons’ that have been created by the new team are ‘fractals’ and now ‘raids’. It is a simple matter of spending excessive development resources on maintaining what is now legacy content that ANet is not willing to do.

SirMoogie.9263

The dungeon team was fired years ago, they literally have no one with in-depth knowledge of the dungeons. Everyone who created the dungeons are gone, they’d have to spend dozens of hours going through a dungeon and figuring everything out again if they wanted to make large changes without breaking things.

I’m aware of these facts, my point eludes you. Dungeons are instanced, usually challenging, content meant for a group of people. Group is a vague term and not specified as different games have different group sizes when they design these encounters. Point is Crystal and her team are working on challenging, instanced content for a group. That group size happens to be ten. It could easily be five. It is incorrect to say they have no dungeon team when they clearly do.

(edited by SirMoogie.9263)

SirMoogie.9263

Certainly. But if you have ever gone through a piece of code written by another person, you know that there are a lot of subtleties, and without the original person telling you why have certain things been done the way they have been done, it’s very hard to do more than simplest changes, and even those take fairly large time investment.

Since the departure of Robert Hrouda, ANet has lost the original dungeon designer. For new team it’s simply far easier to start from scratch. All the new ‘dungeons’ that have been created by the new team are ‘fractals’ and now ‘raids’. It is a simple matter of spending excessive development resources on maintaining what is now legacy content that ANet is not willing to do.

I see your point now, and it is a good one.