Dungeons need to be fixed

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Shift Focus.9083

Shift Focus.9083

Since game launch back in august of 2012 dungeons have been always attached to the person who opened the dungeon instance; if they leave (disconnect/reconnect/log out/crash/errors/change characters, leave the party, etc.) the whole party is forcefully kicked out of the dungeon, leaving a lot of angry party members feeling like they did all of that work for nothing, no reward, no exp at the end, nothing.

I myself am afraid to open a dungeon instance, even though I have all the explorable paths unlocked and I can open them myself on my main character, there’s too much variables going on here that make me shy away from starting the dungeon instance with my party, because I DO NOT want to be the one who gets blamed for everyone’s dungeon experience being ruined due to poor coding by the developers; not to mention anyone’s internet at any time throughout the day or throughout the night can go haywire and re-connect/disconnect or just plain out go offline for an unknown amount of time.

When will Arena Net fix this issue that has been plaguing the game since launch in August 2012? It’s been almost 2 years since the game has launched and this issue is a major issue for a lot of people, and we’d like to see it get fixed, we don’t want to all be kicked out of the dungeon instance just because the person who opened it in our party disconnects or has other problems occur, thank you!

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Shift Focus.9083

Did you even bother to read the post? or did you just look at the title and decide to give me a link that I obviously know about but doesn’t seem to get a lot of attention there.

Shift Focus.9083

That’s besides the point, I don’t care about your link I care about this issue getting fixed for once.

Posted by: Lian Olsam.9541

Lian Olsam.9541

+1

today i was 3 hours in fractals with pugs, and when last boss was pretty death ppl was blaming on one guys cause he was killed alot of time (as the other imho) and he left… everyone kicked cause 3 stupid player spent their time blaming ppl and another “genius”, the opener, left because of that….
it was a bad run, it happens with pugs, i’m pretty smart to stay calm and wait to finish the run, but ppl it doesent, so everyone lost the end chest, daily chest, but first of all, the fun….

Shift Focus.9083

Yes, it is very irritating doing a dungeon run only to be kicked out due to these circumstances and many others.

Shift Focus.9083

Can any arena net employees chime in on this please? Is it being worked on at all?

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Hey, welcome to the tra- I mean, dungeon subforum.

We’re looking forward to see more of you.

Shift Focus.9083

Bump? or is that not allowed too? couldn’t post this in general discussion, now I fear it’ll fall down into the abyss and nothing will be fixed.

Shift Focus.9083

Not to mention guild wars 2 support is abysmal, they outsourced a lot of their support representatives to outside countries most likely for cheap labor; I love the game and all but there’s way too much crap going on that’s not getting fixed and support really isn’t all that great.

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

There have been a million topics about this and the devs never respond. Don’t get your hopes up.

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

on the other hand people who sell runs would be pretty screwed if the party didnt have to leave when the host gets kicked. Everyone would just steal them runs for free. Then again its only half legit to do that anyways so +1 from me.

Posted by: Enaretos.8079

Enaretos.8079

on the other hand people who sell runs would be pretty screwed if the party didnt have to leave when the host gets kicked. Everyone would just steal them runs for free. Then again its only half legit to do that anyways so +1 from me.

Selling non exploited runs is 100% legit.

Snow Crows member since January 2014
My Twitch

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Can any arena net employees chime in on this please? Is it being worked on at all?

Done, it’s in the trashcan now.

Snow Crows [SC]

Shift Focus.9083

Bump, i’m sure many other people would like to know if this is being looked into and possibly being fixed sometime in the future…

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Devs hardly look in here.

Give it up.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Shift Focus.9083

I have faith maybe someday they will XD It’s a big issue that needs to be fixed with the game ^^

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

I myself am afraid to open a dungeon instance, even though I have all the explorable paths unlocked and I can open them myself on my main character, there’s too much variables going on here that make me shy away from starting the dungeon instance with my party, because I DO NOT want to be the one who gets blamed for everyone’s dungeon experience being ruined due to poor coding by the developers; not to mention anyone’s internet at any time throughout the day or throughout the night can go haywire and re-connect/disconnect or just plain out go offline for an unknown amount of time.

What? For about 2 weeks my internet was utter trash because of construction/overloaded something. I simply didnt lead/ didnt really join anything either. When fixed I lead.If your internet is so crap maybe you need to rethink multiplayer games. As for disconnects.. im reasonably sure you can crash and rejoin as party leader. Its the changing of char that resets the instance.

Clearly never played fps’s during dailup days.

Too many variable pfft. Youre hiding something. Get blamed? Who blames you? How do you know such things? Or maybe im just lucky as I cant remember the last time Ive been kicked out of a dungeon because the lead experienced too many variables.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: MatthewCam.4391

MatthewCam.4391

Sometimes my net functions perfectly, others it’ll drop unexpected but immediately reconnect. Or it just won’t return.
You can imagine my parties frustration in the latter scenario when they’re kicked from Arah paths or indeed any dungeon. A lot of things need to be fixed about dungeons and this is one of them, but the problem is very few areas of the game receive any attention from Anet. Go the wvw forums, players there feel just as neglected, Pvp same story, dungeons etc… it makes me wonder what Anet are doing since core aspects of their game are being diligently ignored.

Sea of Sorrows | Lt Mc Muffin
Don’t worry the games still in Beta.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

[…] it makes me wonder what Anet are doing since core aspects of their game are being diligently ignored.

Release the game in China.

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

it makes me wonder what Anet are doing since core aspects of their game are being diligently ignored.

Living story.

Shift Focus.9083

Let’s not get off topic here, this happens to a lot of players, even if your internet went bad for 2 weeks you should still be able to play dungeons if you want to; regardless of it limiting your ability to contribute as much as you could with no internet issues.

I’m hoping it’ll be fixed sometime in the future ™

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

And who checks that?

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

And who checks that?

the buyer usually.

but then again, when I buy runs i know what to look for. And i usually try and find people that i have not bought runs from, more as a congrats you did it. than me wanting or needing the tokens.

Shift Focus.9083

This is not about buying or selling runs, if you want to talk about that go make your own thread please, this is about fixing dungeons so your party doesn’t get booted if something happens to the instance owner.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

From what I understood was that if the opener has a disconnect, or any other technical issue that causes them to go offline, it doesnt kick the party. But when the opener leaves the instance does the party get kicked. Examples of the opener leaving are, character swaps, actually walking through the portal at the beginning, or getting kicked. Disconnects and internet connectivity issues of the opener dont effect the party.

It seems to me that the OP is trying to address an issue that doesnt really exist. The system as it is now, is a safeguard from kicking the party leader/opener because someone in the party doesnt like them. If you dont like the party you are in, then leave the party. Dont try to hijack the party because you dont like the leader, its quite simple really.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Can any arena net employees chime in on this please?

No, and…

Is it being worked on at all?

No one here has any idea.

They posted that link because your question/complaint has been posted in this forum at least 4 times each week with no reply. So…yeah.

Posted by: proviticus.4183

proviticus.4183

for those complaining about a fix affecting selling runs and ownership, the solution to both problems is simple:

make the owner a visible and transferable status. When you’re in a dungeon it should give a special status/icon/warning for players who are the owner, and they should be able to choose to transfer that ownership to another player (but only with the consent of the original owner).

However, in the case where the original owner disconnects (perhaps with a timer), the team can vote in a new owner.

There, both problems solved and everyone happy. Makes no difference though, because they probably won’t fix this anytime soon.

pdavis.8031

@OP

Just as a heads up:
Forum ToS:
•Do not spam. This includes bumping threads or making posts that lack content.

•Do not engage in staff call-outs. Using the words “ArenaNet” or any staff member’s name will not expedite the answer to your query.

•Avoid frivolous and duplicate postings.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

+1

I hope this gets fixed 2.

I get paranoid and run to the chest after last boss just in case the opener gets there faster and leave the party.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Shift Focus.9083

I had a guy a few days ago who was the instance owner and at the end of the dungeon he disconnected and it kicked everyone out, this is really bothersome.

dlonie.6547

What I really don’t understand is how an issue that comes up so often on the forums, is obviously a bug, and has frustrated the hell out of so many of the game’s players doesn’t even appear to be a priority.

Solving the instance ownership problem may be a tough one to fix in the current design, but it needs to happen. Several times a week, new people come here and make new threads about their instance getting destroyed because the owner left party. Week after week, and it’s been going on for well over a year now. How has this not appeared on their radar yet??

They know how much even a brief comment on it would help. So why not just pop on and acknowledge it? Even to say they won’t fix it? At least then we’d have an answer to give the players who come in to ask.

For some reason they don’t want to. Okay…

Then why not spend a few developer hours on implementing one of the undoubtedly easier fixes that wouldn’t be perfect, but would be doable in a short amount of time and provide a lot of benefit. For instance, preventing the instance owner from being able to be kicked or even just annotating the owner’s party UI icon would be quite an improvement for a modest amount of effort.

tldr; It’s been over a year. It’s obviously a bug. It’s time to stop ignoring it.

pdavis.8031

What I really don’t understand is how an issue that comes up so often on the forums, is obviously a bug, and has frustrated the hell out of so many of the game’s players doesn’t even appear to be a priority.

Solving the instance ownership problem may be a tough one to fix in the current design, but it needs to happen. Several times a week, new people come here and make new threads about their instance getting destroyed because the owner left party. Week after week, and it’s been going on for well over a year now. How has this not appeared on their radar yet??

snip

Of course the same things come up every couple of weeks (mounts/dueling/expansions/etc) However much of the problem is these threads get deleted because 1) It’s a duplicate of another thread. 2) It’s in the wrong forum (these should go into bugs) or 3) Its not a discussion and generally degenerates into QQing that Anet sucks and needs to do something about this yesterday or people are going to quit. (I personally wouldn’t respond to a thread raging about how much I suck at my job…..)

recognize my command!”

dlonie.6547

Of course the same things come up every couple of weeks (mounts/dueling/expansions/etc) However much of the problem is these threads get deleted because 1) It’s a duplicate of another thread. 2) It’s in the wrong forum (these should go into bugs) or 3) Its not a discussion and generally degenerates into QQing that Anet sucks and needs to do something about this yesterday or people are going to quit. (I personally wouldn’t respond to a thread raging about how much I suck at my job…..)

Mounts, dueling, and expansions are feature requests, though — not bugs. Breaking dungeon instances when a party member leaves is something that I think we can reasonably have expected some reply on.

These threads should definitely go in bugs, and there are plenty of similar ones there. But there’s no reply of any kind in that subforum either. Even on the pleasant and friendly ones where they could reply without rewarding attacks.

I am just honestly surprised that they’ve attempted no solution, diplomatic or technical, to address the issue. It’d be nice to have a thread to point new posters to, or even put in the FAQ. I know this isn’t seriously unreasonable behavior for them, nor is it out of character for them in consideration of how other bug reports are handled.

It’s just disappointing :-/

pdavis.8031

Update: Unless I want to do a full examination of every thread of the ~1100 pages of threads, from what I was able to see, up to about pages 20ish, there hasn’t been any reports on this issue. However I did find this. Wiki about instances , and it would appear that the mechanic in question has been there from the start, and would be working as intended. Do I think there should be another option for dealing with this? sure, never really had any “bad” experiences in that regard though. I think part of why it doesn’t get attention that (again) it’s basically a QQ and demanding thread that Anet needs to “fix” it, implying its a known bug, when in fact it’s not.

recognize my command!”

dlonie.6547

Check that wiki page again.

Now, according to that page, it’s definitely a bug :-)

Don’t put too much stock in what a wiki says :P That thing is written by users, not ANet, and all it does is state the way things currently are, not how they were designed.

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Shift Focus.9083

Maybe they’ll see it if it stays on the front page -_- especially towards the top.

Silence is the biggest killer of any game, period; even if they are working on it and don’t even say anything it causes frustration within the gaming community of said game.

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

It’s the best thing there is in dungeons, no way I want to see it “fixed”. I create an instance, and if some nerd decides to kick out my friend or some other person for their guildie or whatever reason, I can simply demand them to get him back in or I disband the party. The few gold you lose and the trouble to clear the path a second time after disbanding the party at the last boss is totally worth punishing such players.
And now you want to remove all that power from me, the little options there are to punish such behaviour? Giving those guys full access to bully parties as they like, without any consequences? You’re not on a good cause here, my friend.

9 Guardians later…

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I refuse to open a dungeon out of fear I’ll have leave, disconnect, etc. and my party will get screwed over.

Shift Focus.9083

It’s the best thing there is in dungeons, no way I want to see it “fixed”. I create an instance, and if some nerd decides to kick out my friend or some other person for their guildie or whatever reason, I can simply demand them to get him back in or I disband the party. The few gold you lose and the trouble to clear the path a second time after disbanding the party at the last boss is totally worth punishing such players.
And now you want to remove all that power from me, the little options there are to punish such behaviour? Giving those guys full access to bully parties as they like, without any consequences? You’re not on a good cause here, my friend.

That’s what the report button is for in game, it’ll eventually discourage the behavior and people will think twice about doing that, they just need to be able to let you see party chat after you get kicked from the party, or simply put a “recently played with” option on friends list

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

I refuse to open a dungeon out of fear I’ll have leave, disconnect, etc. and my party will get screwed over.

I refuse to join dungeons that someone else opened, especially if i don’t know him.
Not because i hate people, but for the reasons you just mentioned.
This is just too much kitten to kitten about :/

dlonie.6547

Then it’d be nice if they said it was intentional.

Even to preserve this “feature”, they could make the owner unkickable and ownership transfer voluntary. There’s no reason that it should be possible to destroy an instance by kicking an owner.

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

About the option of reporting them… Well I’m not very optimistic about people doing “minor crimes” like this are going to be punished when they got their hands full with bigger bad guys. So the options at the moment are; let them walk off with gold in their pockets and just wish they get punished, or; deny them the reward immediately and watch them be punished right there.
I’m in favour of the second option. Effective, harmless and breaks no rules. All you did was leave a party.

Then it’d be nice if they said it was intentional.

Even to preserve this “feature”, they could make the owner unkickable and ownership transfer voluntary. There’s no reason that it should be possible to destroy an instance by kicking an owner.

I completely agree with you there. But I’m afraid this is one of the things that simply doesn’t top the Anets prioritizing list.

9 Guardians later…

dlonie.6547

But I’m afraid this is one of the things that simply doesn’t top the Anets prioritizing list.

QFT.

BTW Did you hear about the new items in the gem store this week??!? OMG NEW HAIRSTYLES.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Limited Time Offer: Insert Gimmick Here Mining Pick has returned to the Gem Store for a limited time only!

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Shift Focus.9083

Yeah it is pretty disturbing that every freaking thing that gets added to this game is on the gem store -_- seems like there’s more gem shop items than fixes or updates, I understand they need to make money but didn’t they milk china enough? its literally costing them nothing to sell the game because most of the people buy digital copies, anyways I’m still hopeful maybe someone will stop by and think “hey maybe we should fix that”, seems like a fairy tale though xD

Shift Focus.9083

Did AC a day ago and the instance opener disconnected and it kicked us all out, I noticed it’s being less common now that this is happening for myself anyways but it’s still there and still an annoyance.