Ele has problems in T4 fractals

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Sparone.6475

Sparone.6475

Hey guys,

got into T4 lately and managed to clear some with PUGs however I got downed to often. Boss fights are okay, but I am looking for a few tips for handling non-boss enemies. Dodging does not work reliable, because of the number of attacks but those attacks also often two-shot me. For example in the Dredge fractal on the switches, what can I do (besides killing enemies faster)?

Any cool tips or is it mainly: “kill them or at least damage them so you rally”?

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

You can swap to focus offhand (air 4, earth 4 = absorb/reflect + earth 5 = invuln) and take some util skills (mist form, arcane shield, earth shield) to survive the panels and just swap back after for fights. Alternatively don’t do the last panels and volunteer for the 2nd button where you can just blink (lightning flash) up and let your allies in quickly.

Since you pug it’s gonna be like that, organized groups tend to just have people blink to buttons and aegis/invuln + stealth the last switch so people on the panels can just /gg early.

Sandstorm is also pretty decent for trash enemies due to blinds and also you can always let other people pull aggro/run in first so you can just do damage without taking as much risk.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

(edited by fishball.7204)

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

Boss fights are okay, but I am looking for a few tips for handling non-boss enemies.

1. Sandstorm (Glyph of Storms in Earth).
2. Dust storm (Warhorn 5 in Earth), if you use Warhorn obviously.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Boss fights are okay, but I am looking for a few tips for handling non-boss enemies.

Yep sandstorm is awesome for trash mobs.

Posted by: SirPrizeBartSachs.4670

SirPrizeBartSachs.4670

Yep sandstorm is awesome for trash mobs.

Also use your elite skill Earth Elemental. That thing can take a ridiculous amount of beatin, just make sure it’s between you and the mobs

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Specifically for dredge platforms, get these 3 items:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Harpy_Feathers_
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Order_of_Whispers_Spy_Kit
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ash_Legion_Spy_Kit

I recommend attuning to water so that water overload is available when you reach the platform.

Start with harpy feathers (3s stealth), then use whispers spy kit as it expires (3s of stealth long cd), then ash legion spy kit(10s of invisibility, which goes away if you move, unlike stealth), then do another harpy feathers (3s stealth).

You can easily chain 19s of peacefully standing on the platform. Hopefully you have a thief who will stealth the person channeling the lever, that way you don’t have to enter combat. If that option is not available, do your part drawing the dredge agro, but enter stealth if the pressure gets too high.

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

definitely sand/dust storm. You have several other options, such as lightning surge ( staff, air #2) also applies blind, and is a decent damage hit.

You can also use things like frozen ground, or static field to keep them from getting to you so quickly. Or cyclone ( wh air #4) to pull enemies together ( great for cleaving them down faster) but also interrupting them for a moment so they can’t hit you. Even a couple of seconds can make a huge difference.

Focus is a fountain of utility for various situations too. Sometimes it’s better to take a hit to dps in favor of the extra utility.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Feanor.2358

Right, Frozen Ground is pretty awesome as well. Been playing Scepter/Warhorn lately and I forgot how much I liked to use it, on Cliffside cultists for instance.

Earth Elemental is also useful, some groups hide behind it on Old Tom, the thing can eat tons of the projectiles before it dies.

Warhorn 4 in Earth is also useful against ranged enemies (especially harpies at Uncategorized). Just… don’t be afraid to use skills aside from your dps rotation when the situation calls for it.

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Hey guys,

got into T4 lately and managed to clear some with PUGs however I got downed to often. Boss fights are okay, but I am looking for a few tips for handling non-boss enemies. Dodging does not work reliable, because of the number of attacks but those attacks also often two-shot me. For example in the Dredge fractal on the switches, what can I do (besides killing enemies faster)?

Any cool tips or is it mainly: “kill them or at least damage them so you rally”?

I honestly dont suggest standing on switches as an ele. Let someone else do that and focus on dpsing and clearing the trash.

Magnetic aura is also wonderful for the dredge.

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Excellent advise given for the dredge fractal but also don’t forget they are immune to blind so save sandstorm and other blinds for other fractals.

Other things you can do are:

Don’t be the first in range of mobs, they usually aggro on closest target so let someone less squishy go ahead.

Don’t stack directly onto of each other, a lot of later fractals give agony if you’re too close to each other, leave a space and heals won’t get reduced to 1k.

Nuke hard, nuke fast. If it’s dead it can’t hurt you so make sure you can get those high damage skills off pronto.

Kite. Put simply most ele skills have a good range on them so melee mobs you can strafe around and most of the time they won’t hit you. You can also keep some distance between you and the mobs, not too far or you won’t get boons/buffs/heals but certainly 450 range.

Communicate, this should be obvious but is often forgotten. You don’t want 5 people using their projectile destruction all at the same time. You don’t want a guard to block attacks while the mesmer invulns you all. Check if someone is going to break bars on other mobs thus reducing mechanics or rendering them not a threat for 5s while you murder something else.

Posted by: nsleep.7839

nsleep.7839

Excellent advise given for the dredge fractal but also don’t forget they are immune to blind so save sandstorm and other blinds for other fractals.

Not sure if it was Molten Furnace or Underground Facility, but the dredge in one of those can be blinded now after one of the fractal rework patches.

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Not sure if it was Molten Furnace or Underground Facility, but the dredge in one of those can be blinded now after one of the fractal rework patches.

Yeah I remember some dredge aren’t immune for weird reasons like they’re elites or belong to molten alliance or something but to keep it simple I just assume all dredge are all immune.

Feanor.2358

*Were.

In a recent update the dredge in Underground fractal were stripped of their blindness immunity.

Posted by: Sparone.6475

Sparone.6475

Thank you guys for all the great tips. I think I undervalued blinds and I didn’t think about glyph of storms in the earth attunement. I also did not know these stealth items. All in all, I got a lot of new tricks to work with.

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

What weapons are you using? Range is an ele’s best friend, so if you are using dagger in your main hand you may want to consider switching to a scepter or even a staff as both will keep you farther from harm.

Staff in particular has a number of defensive options (fire 4 as an example) that gives you an extra, very long dodge backwards, which you can pair with defensive utilities like arcane shield or teleport if you find yourself needing to move long distances quickly.

There are also some defensive talents you might take, but room for them is heavily dependent on your build. What build are you running?

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Feanor.2358

Range is an ele’s best friend

If you want to lose a major part of your damage output. Ranging can keep you alive – for some time – but will also make you inefficient. In fractals you can generally burst down everything.

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Range is an ele’s best friend

If you want to lose a major part of your damage output. Ranging can keep you alive – for some time – but will also make you inefficient. In fractals you can generally burst down everything.

True, but if you have trouble with that (like OP is discussing) then it’s better. Dead = 0 dps

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: Mechalibur.9618

Mechalibur.9618

For the dredge fractal specifically, I would also recommend keeping a supply of dredge slaying potions. You do 10% more damage and take 10% less from dredge. With that, plus the 40% damage reduction from protection, and 25% from potions, you can stay on the switches for a while. The potions are really cheap, too.

Feanor.2358

You can stay on switches with just earth elemental and blinds, using the full glass zerk meta build.