Elementary guide to Subject Alpha Elements

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Jeez, why do people keep adding annoying music to their videos.

Don’t worry bro. I got this covered.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

nice. should also add that whenever Alpha casts Tooth of Primordus (Fire) he cleanses all conditions on him.

but thats about the jist of it.

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

More like not cheat and be smart for Path 1 melee by standing point blank on him so you never have to dodge. Why would you intentionally use something like melee assist and then not stand in his body so you could kill slower because you have to constantly dodge, only bads do that.

You’re not good cause you can dodge a simple attack and then take longer to kill him.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Wethospu.6437

What else? Getting bosses stuck or glitching map is also you just being good?
Boss which takes like 1 minute kill and you can’t dodge few times.

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

I think it would be arguably easier to do Path 2 than Path 1 duo/solo. That earth spike attack is really hard to read, you need to be completely attentive to dodge it and it does a lot of damage.

But of course, it’s impossible to anything less than 4-man it without glitching due to “simple security measures”.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Strifey.7215

Except no glitching is involved. If the devs didn’t think stacking melee was viable they wouldn’t make his conal attack start a couple feet in front of him.

Doing something less efficient when you’re not even bugging or exploiting a boss is what bads do. I could see your point if you were exploiting him, or if dodging made him die faster, since stacking in melee is neither of those things then it’s a dumb comment.

It’s one thing to bug or exploit, it’s another thing to use less efficient strategies on moves that are working correctly. So not sure how that is considered cheating or for bads. You’re not good because you can dodge a few times to be less efficient.

(edited by Strifey.7215)

Wethospu.6437

Except no glitching is involved. If the devs didn’t think stacking melee was viable they wouldn’t make his conal attack start a couple feet in front of him.

Doing something less efficient when you’re not even bugging or exploiting a boss is what bads do. I could see your point if you were exploiting him, or if dodging made him die faster, since stacking in melee is neither of those things then it’s a dumb comment.

It’s one thing to bug or exploit, it’s another thing to use less efficient strategies on moves that are working correctly. So not sure how that is considered cheating or for bads. You’re not good because you can dodge a few times to be less efficient.

There’s probably plenty of things devs didn’t think of. Something is bit off if enemy keeps using an attack which won’t hit anyone.
And to be honest, I don’t see why this is so big issue for you. If I considered it to be a serious exploit I wouldn’t have included it. Either you can do it normally and want take path of least resistance, then yes that’s lazy but yes that’s fine. And if you can’t do it and need to use it, then yes you are bad and yes that’s fine too.
Solo P1 Alpha on your Warrior without standing inside him. It’s not as easy as you make it sound.

Posted by: Sarcasmic.6741

Sarcasmic.6741

Perhaps it was intended to favor melee since so many encounters favor the opposite? The attack areas do get progressively larger the further away they go. The first circle is substantially smaller than the second, even if stacking /inside/ Alpha wasn’t intended.

Stace (Lv 80 human quickness portal bot) | Sarcasmic (Lv 80 elixir-drunk norn pyro)
Saladtha (Lv 80 salad sidekick to bears) | Dunelle (Lv 80 eviscerating muppet)
Karmell (Lv 80 human might dispenser) | Vast says hi~.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Perhaps it was intended to favor melee since so many encounters favor the opposite? The attack areas do get progressively larger the further away they go. The first circle is substantially smaller than the second, even if stacking /inside/ Alpha wasn’t intended.

Which encounters favour ranged? Most actually favour melee, unless you’re lazy nad prefer to minimize gw and read forums in the meantime.

Wethospu.6437

Ranged players get more reaction time due travel time so naturally attack should be bigger (normal size they might just walk out of it).

Strifey.7215

There’s probably plenty of things devs didn’t think of. Something is bit off if enemy keeps using an attack which won’t hit anyone.
And to be honest, I don’t see why this is so big issue for you. If I considered it to be a serious exploit I wouldn’t have included it. Either you can do it normally and want take path of least resistance, then yes that’s lazy but yes that’s fine. And if you can’t do it and need to use it, then yes you are bad and yes that’s fine too.
Solo P1 Alpha on your Warrior without standing inside him. It’s not as easy as you make it sound.

It’s not a big issue, it’s a response to a comment on your video using stupid wording. Overall the video is a good overview, but when I see something stupid I call it out.
Nothing is a bit off, it’s melee positioning, just like the melee ice attack of the 2nd boss in HotW path 3 that doesn’t hit you if you melee him, or GL throwing projectiles in phase 2. Some attacks are meant to hit you if you’re ranged, some are meant to hit you if you’re melee. Obviously the devs made a mistake, they just couldn’t have made certain attacks intentionally counter melee/ranged…

So you can consider people being bad because they don’t want to use pointless dodges, and I’ll consider you bad for suggesting that you should take longer to add in dodges that have no point other then to put you at risk of taking damage.

Wethospu.6437

It’s not a big issue, it’s a response to a comment on your video using stupid wording. Overall the video is a good overview, but when I see something stupid I call it out.
Nothing is a bit off, it’s melee positioning, just like the melee ice attack of the 2nd boss in HotW path 3 that doesn’t hit you if you melee him, or GL throwing projectiles in phase 2. Some attacks are meant to hit you if you’re ranged, some are meant to hit you if you’re melee. Obviously the devs made a mistake, they just couldn’t have made certain attacks intentionally counter melee/ranged…

So you can consider people being bad because they don’t want to use pointless dodges, and I’ll consider you bad for suggesting that you should take longer to add in dodges that have no point other then to put you at risk of taking damage.

I really wouldn’t worry about calling out stupid wording when you fail at basic reading.
Let’s review key-points of my last post.

Something is bit off if enemy keeps using an attack which won’t hit anyone.

Can you honestly call this good design and something devs have definitely intended? If they wanted earth-line to be anti-ranged attack why Alpha uses it on melee targets? Why don’t we see enemies using melee attacks on thin-air?

And if you can’t do it and need to use it, then yes you are bad and yes that’s fine too.

I’m not really sure how I can explain this but I will try re-wording. You are bad if you simply can’t survive Alpha without standing inside him.

Strifey.7215

I really wouldn’t worry about calling out stupid wording when you fail at basic reading.
Let’s review key-points of my last post.

Something is bit off if enemy keeps using an attack which won’t hit anyone.

Can you honestly call this good design and something devs have definitely intended? If they wanted earth-line to be anti-ranged attack why Alpha uses it on melee targets? Why don’t we see enemies using melee attacks on thin-air?

And if you can’t do it and need to use it, then yes you are bad and yes that’s fine too.

I’m not really sure how I can explain this but I will try re-wording. You are bad if you simply can’t survive Alpha without standing inside him.

Because it’s a skill and not a melee attack. There’s a reason there are red circles on the ground, and a reason other attacks from different bosses work the same way. It’s not an attack that “doesn’t hit anyone”, it’s an attack that doesn’t hit people in melee range with positioning. If you are at range will it hit you? Yes. So that’s not an attack that “doesn’t hit anyone.” I already gave examples of 2 other “skills”, not melee attacks, that work the same way.

I don’t know how I can explain this but I will try re-wording, you are bad if you think you should do something that takes longer and adds difficulty when making a guide on how to do something properly (when it doesn’t involve exploiting).

If you want to somehow show that you are “good” by dodging a simple attack in a gameplay video that doesn’t actually need to be dodged for whatever reason then go for it, but making a guide for randoms and then showing something that is inefficient as the “correct” way is dumb.

(edited by Strifey.7215)

Wethospu.6437

So now melee-attacks aren’t skills anymore.

I guess we just fall to two different categories, you care about efficient loot while I care about not dying of boredom.
+ my guide shows how to stand inside him if people want to be efficient (this means “pro” for you) or lack skills

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

Guys, just make videos and see who solos it the quickest. Start the timer at the first hit.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Guys, just make videos and see who solos it the quickest. Start the timer at the first hit.

With same build and gear, the guy who stays inside is going to win because he doesn’t have to dodge. However, that wasn’t the point. You can either stay inside him with melee assist off, punch him in the face and hope that Anet won’t fix it somehow or run around and try dodging. The problem with 1st approach is that a lot of people might find it a bit too tediuos and not challenging. Sure, it’s efficient and easy, no one is arguing about that.