Elitism, a growing concern.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

So my friend who has about 1.5k AP starts his own party, titled “all welcome” for a level 13 fract and is constantly getting kicked out for from his own groups that he created due to the fact of his AP score…this is unnacceptable..i do not know how this can be fixed but this is not ok. getting kicked from a level 13 fract LEVEL 13! before you say “he should do it with friends and or with a guild” what if this was another player who has no friends or a does not wish to be in a guild…is he just..outcasted from group content just because of some AP score?

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: Leezy.4567

Leezy.4567

….And the rest of the story? I highly doubt it’s this simple as making his own squad and getting kicked from it at the start of the fractal.

Omega Zoa.3859

….And the rest of the story? I highly doubt it’s this simple as making his own squad and getting kicked from it at the start of the fractal.

Thats pretty much it mate. actually tagged along him and people started voting for kick, they had about 20k…17k AP

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Just sounds like you met some bad people, I’ve seen sub 3k AP players not kicked from mid-tier/higher-tier fracs.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Omega Zoa.3859

Just sounds like you met some bad people, I’ve seen sub 3k AP players not kicked from mid-tier/higher-tier fracs.

sort of a big leap from 1.5k to 3k mate. we ran into some like AP people…2k…..2.3k..and they didnt kick.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

It’s all pretty much the same to me. Low AP is < 3k. I wouldn’t kick anyone in ‘all welcome’ runs nor would anyone who posts here do that, you just met bad players that’s all.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I think you are just generally unlucky :P

I would never kick someone based on their AP. I can only suggest to join a friendly guild.

NSPride <3

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

People have been complaining about this for 3 years, how is it a “growing concern”?
You should try pugging a 50 on ranger or necro before HoT, and you will see it has become a lot less bad.

But yeah, the people that kick based on stupid things like AP are usually just really bad players themselves, and you don’t want to play with them anyways

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Was he level 80?

Omega Zoa.3859

Was he level 80?

Lol of course he was 80.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If this is happening with any kind of frequency (about which I will reserve judgement), then it seems that:

• This behavior would be a function of laziness. Yes, laziness. People (apparently) couldn’t be bothered to start their own group, instead joining a group someone else made the trivial effort to start, then kick the group starter?
  • A ready solution (I’ve no idea how complex or simple to program) would be to have the group starter be immune to kicks unless inactive for the standard inactive time. Imo, it would be a great idea to give that kind of protection to people who could be bothered to get off their kitten.

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

lol ppl that were looking for a carry at lvl 13, such elitists.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

If everything you said is true, and you didn’t omit any relevant facts, then that’s a 1 in a million chance occurrence. so don’t worry about it.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So my friend who has about 1.5k AP starts his own party, titled “all welcome” for a level 13 fract and is constantly getting kicked out for from his own groups that he created due to the fact of his AP score…this is unnacceptable..i do not know how this can be fixed but this is not ok. getting kicked from a level 13 fract LEVEL 13! before you say “he should do it with friends and or with a guild” what if this was another player who has no friends or a does not wish to be in a guild…is he just..outcasted from group content just because of some AP score?

How does one example of a bunch of jerks kicking someone for no apparent reason translate into “elitism, a growing concern”? PUGs are human beings and some of them will be rude, crude, and socially unacceptable (depending, of course, on your idea of society).

If you can document that everyone with <2k AP is getting kicked from every party in which 3+ people have 12k+ AP (or even a plurality of such examples), then by all means: share with ANet your evidence.

Otherwise, just chalk it up to PUGs behaving badly.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Omega Zoa.3859

How does one example of a bunch of jerks kicking someone for no apparent reason translate into “elitism, a growing concern”? PUGs are human beings and some of them will be rude, crude, and socially unacceptable (depending, of course, on your idea of society).

If you can document that everyone with <2k AP is getting kicked from every party in which 3+ people have 12k+ AP (or even a plurality of such examples), then by all means: share with ANet your evidence.

He complained it happened three times prior to me coming to se for myself.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

So that’s 12 people out of the hundreds who do dungeons. Sounds like your friend may just be having a bit of bad luck when it comes to the rotten apples in the game.

Posted by: King Cephalopod.7942

King Cephalopod.7942

If anyone knows, would this qualify as LFG abuse under the “report” functionality? Ordinarily I’m all for letting people be kittens, but a forced takeover of an “all welcome” LFG posting seems a bit wack.

Otherwise just gotta keep rolling that LFG RNG and pray you don’t get a bunch of worthless troglodytes; a feat much more difficult than you’d think.

A little savagery now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Don’t cry, Signet of Mercy. Others may forget you, but I will always remember.
Our deficiencies may be overcome by practice and self-discipline.

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

Either we’re not getting the whole story, or your friend ran into some idiots of exceptional rarity looking to be carried at level 13.

If it’s entirely as you described this isn’t “elitism”, and it’s not a “growing concern”. Low-probability incidents happen, and you have not established this is anything other than a low-probability incident. Furthermore, the people who kicked your friend are most certainly not “elite” by any means, neither in terms of skill, nor in terms of AP. It’s long been accepted by actual elite players that groups that set an AP-requirement are really just scrubs with lots of AP who are looking to get carried; these groups are typically worse than groups without such requirements, and nearly always worse than groups that check competence another way (like a basic reading test, e.g. “ping aquabreather”).

If it’s not entirely as you described, then again, we’re not talking about “elitism”, nor is it a “growing concern”.

If you want to establish this as an actual issue, instead of a made-up issue that you’re complaining about on the fourms for some reason, you’re going to need to present more evidence of what occurred, or better yet, present evidence of it repeatedly occurring.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m sorry that it happened even once.

However, you still haven’t offered evidence that there’s a general issue with elitism — it still sounds like your friend had bad luck with jerks. (Maybe even the same ones the other times, especially if the examples were all in the same evening.)

Most people don’t seem to have an issue with finding folks for dungeons & low-level fractals. Without hearing more details, it’s hard to know why your friend’s situation was different.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Silvernickel.6729

Silvernickel.6729

While Elitism is a growing concern, it is also very frustrating to play with someone who can’t play well.

Yes i feel sorry for your friend too who is having bad luck meeting with jerks. Its weird because lvl 13 Frac that is easy.

Back when i was 1.5k AP till 2.5k AP i played Fracs and Dungeons just fine, the 5k – 20k APs folks accepts me just fine. This is because i done my research first, regarding equips, Class skills, rotations, etc. So i played fairly well enough that my group accepts me. While other 500 APs and some 6k APs randoms did SO POORLY even i voted for them to get kicked. I felt sorry for doing so but it had to be done, they’re so bad that they become a deadweight to the run.

So yeah,
Elitism = bad
Noobs = worse

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The chance he was kicked multiple times because of his AP: possible but low
The chance he was kicked for some other reason we aren’t being told: larger than being kicked for low AP

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

If your friend is on EU tell him to whisper me in-game, I’ll help him out with fractals.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Just the other day i did 80 i think jade maw for daily t4. I was with 2 of my friends. While we passed the mobs to platform with no problems, one of the pugs seemed to struggle to pass by. He died 3 times trying to get to platform. He had around 3k ap. Ok we waited. Then when he did manage to get to the boss he was insta killed by the agony. He tried again and died again. “Ar?” I asked. No reply. Then we started to kill the mobs becacause we were waiting for 15 min allready. Then i tried to vote kick him but one of my friends told me “let him be” which made me mad.

Then he finally wrote: sorry my first time here……

Having a lousy day allready i was not in the mood of carrying a person who tought he can piggy back off rest of the party for free loot. We didn’t kick him because it was not that hard to 4man it, but this is where elitistm is born, 15k ap requirementa in lfg, kicking low ap people and so on. Basicly for saving your own nervs on the place you came to relax after a day at work and from prolonging the run and failing at content that has been present for 3 years.

Op writes only one side of the story.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Stupid elitist checks – gear pings, LIs, etc – don’t come out of nowhere. It’s not like most people wake up in the morning and think, “How can I be a complete jerk to strangers today?”

(But yes… those people do exist…)

Instead, all this “elitist” stuff comes from HORRIBLE experiences with people, usually many times over. Eventually you get tired of it and try to find some way to avoid it.

I’ve heard Fractal pugs are really hit or miss lately, but guildies have definitely shared stories of picking up pugs who clearly don’t have AR in high tier Fractals.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

To be honest of course this kind of stuff will happen. People will be people. The only thing that anet could and should do is to change how the party system work. You shouldn’t be able to get kicked out of the party if you are the one that created it. Of course, they should also make sure that you can’t AFK in the middle of the run as the party leader and make everybody carry you either.

Anyway, for you specific story you have two option. Either these people were just complete scrubs for kicking someone at level 13 or he did something wrong and didn’t realize it. I mean, I kicked people who couldn’t run the first skip on a dungeon or didn’t something so stupid that he could only be a complete noob. That said, it was always from party that I created, but people joining a group can’t know who is the party leader and rarely read the LFG description. They could just want to do an achivement, pick the first level 13 they see and don’t want to do the fractal with a player with little experience. That a bit stupid if you ask me, but that only prove that the LFG could use some work done (like in the last 3 years) and that human can be jerks.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

I’ve heard Fractal pugs are really hit or miss lately, but guildies have definitely shared stories of picking up pugs who clearly don’t have AR in high tier Fractals.

Indeed, those ppl exist. This morning I was pugging Mai Trin 100 and 2 out of 5 died instantly. I rezzed all players, played for one minute and was confronted with several downstates when I decided to wish them a good day and refused to carry them. One of them was laughing about my statement (one without AR) and I left. Sometimes I ask myself what is going on in some player’s brains.
Next group all had 150 AR, less than 10 harmless downstates, smooth run in a time of the achievement range.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

“Growing concern”

Based on the relative post volume on this subject, the concern for this topic is at an all time low.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Posted by: Strages.2950

Strages.2950

I dont mind running T1 and T2 with people with “low” (under 3K) AP, but I also usually ask them if they know the mechanics to the Fractal, I volunteer to explain it to them. Even if they suck you can usually carry them without a hassle at those levels and they’ve at least (somewhat) learned how to do the Fractal.

There’s much less leeway on this at T3-T4 however where having 1 downed player early on can make a fight very difficult or long.

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Was he level 80?

Sub 80 can’t open fractal lfg, not like lvl 80 is even needed for low tier.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

I have never seen someone kicked from a scale that low ever, even for going afk lol. Why even bother? You could carry them through the scale in the time it would take to put the group in LFG and wait for a new party member. Considering you need 3 people to kick and the rest of the group likely was not partied beforehand, we either aren’t getting the whole story or a group of people was intentionally griefing him.

There is no issue with elitism in fotm.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

Probably what happened was once a few people joined, it became less obvious who had started the lfg and thus your friend got the boot. I recommend putting something like “newbies welcome” early in the discription – something saccharine enough to scare off people who want 5k+ ap for a friggin level 13 fractal pug.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

People who want 5k+ AP for level 13 fractal are most likely mentally incapacitated.

On the other hand, in my opinion it’s not unreasonable to add a filter to your LFG if it’s content like raids (if you meet your own requirements) or T4 fractals. Don’t know about you guys but I personally hate having to carry people when I want to just do something quickly so I can get on with the rest of what I want to do for the day.

Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by Yobculture.5786)

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

I only recently hit 3k achievement points (in a bit over 1200 hours). I’ve never been kicked from a fractal party because I don’t have enough. What the heck is this?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

That’s some clickbait title. “Growing concern”, alright. If I came to complain on the forum everytime something goes wrong in-game I wouldn’t have time to play…
… and if I had 1silver for everytime I read the word “elitism” being used to stir the pot and cause controversy I’d be already done with my Legendary Grind (a.k.a. I Love Tigerman).

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

I’ve had this week 2 players in a level 4 fractal, one was 31,7k ap and the other one a bit over 32k. They had no clue what to do, constantly dying on the laser staircase, so I asked them if they bought the accounts. Each one states that he was over 4k game hours, but never tried fractals, and were doing for the first time to squeeze the only APs they had left.

Morale of the story: AP and game time DO NOT kittenING MATTER, unless proven otherwise.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

So now that I’ve seen some 500 AP people joining raid squads without reading what the squad is about can I make my own thread?

“Reading comprehension plummeting drastically – what will become of the world?”

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

There’s always something fishy with the ‘my friend’ stories.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

People who want 5k+ AP for level 13 fractal are most likely mentally incapacitated.

On the other hand, in my opinion it’s not unreasonable to add a filter to your LFG if it’s content like raids (if you meet your own requirements) or T4 fractals. Don’t know about you guys but I personally hate having to carry people when I want to just do something quickly so I can get on with the rest of what I want to do for the day.

And thats fine but dont kick people just because you dont want to explain it, how else will people learn if no one tells them? The problem is you just kick people for one mistake it is rude and a form of elitism. If you dont want to teach anyone or carry anyone your just going to have to specify each time, thats no ones responsibility but your own:)

Another thing that royally ticks me off is when people make groups and everyone leaves because they want drop the pug people to invite thier friends who showed up late to the party, your wasting other peoples time, no just no.

(edited by Ryou.2398)

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

I have never seen someone kicked from a scale that low ever, even for going afk lol. Why even bother? You could carry them through the scale in the time it would take to put the group in LFG and wait for a new party member. Considering you need 3 people to kick and the rest of the group likely was not partied beforehand, we either aren’t getting the whole story or a group of people was intentionally griefing him.

3 kicks in a row seem excessive but from time to time I see lfgs like “lvl 10 meta zerkers xAP+”, not really surprising if some people get kicked.

Probably what happened was once a few people joined, it became less obvious who had started the lfg and thus your friend got the boot. I recommend putting something like “newbies welcome early in the discription – something saccharine enough to scare off people who want 5k+ ap for a friggin level 13 fractal pug.

Did you even read the OP?

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Posted by: littlemunster.1059

littlemunster.1059

There’s a lot of arrogant and inept players. You can get kicked for various reasons. AP, already a person playing same class in party, lack of AR, not knowing what to do and ignoring the team advice, etc. Only valid reason for a kick is lack of AR or ignoring the team advice that tries to be helpful. In this case lvl 13 requires no AR and if the other reason mentioned wasn’t the case, put them on ignore list and avoid those players like the plague they are. I have under 500 AP on this account and I don’t get kicked. I also don’t have HOT on this account.

The BG Super Munster!

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

AP req. is really a thing? I don’t give a kitten on it. Really. Especially, if my friend and me are playing high dps eles, it really doesn’t matter the 2mins you are faster.

Those kittening idiots should get a grip, really.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

3 kicks in a row seem excessive but from time to time I see lfgs like “lvl 10 meta zerkers xAP+”, not really surprising if some people get kicked.

Not saying these all aren’t real but my friends occasionally put up stuff like that as a joke…and i have to change the party description after 5 minutes because no one is joining lol

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

I’m well aware there are elitist in this game that kick people for no reason but there are so few in comparison to people who have no idea/skill that just join a group because they want to do the content and fell like they should no have to learn what to do or how to play. Why should people who spent dozens or even hundreds of hrs to learn the content and their class(es) have to carry people who are not willing to do the same. There are train guilds out there to help new/unskilled players become better. If people don’t wanna join a guild then y play an mmo? If people don’t wanna take the time to learn then they shouldn’t expect people to carry them.

Now I’m aware that people don’t always have a ton of time to spent in game but most classes can be learned to a decent level in 10 hr of play with knowledgeable people. During this time you can also learn some dungeons/fractals. Once you know a class you can attempt a raid. 20 hrs with knowledgeable people and you will should have a decent grasp on the tatics and mechanics of raid.

So here the point I’m making with this post. If you join a guild that is will to teach and can spend 10 hrs per week learning how to play then in 3 weeks you will be a decent player. Will you be great? Most likely not, but you will have better luck in dungeons / fractals / raids and just maybe have made a few friends to play with so getting kicked won’t be am issue again.

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Wow. That sucks. Personally, I would not kick anyone from a LFG that said “All Welcome” I mean really, who would join an LFG like that and then vote to kick someone. That is atrocious and I feel bad for you and your friend. No one should endure that. If the LFG says “All Welcome” that means, everyone should be welcome to the group to run the fractal, with no requirements. It’s baffling that your friend got kicked from the group at all, for any reason.

Now, I have read a few posts trying to justify elitism, but, when an LFG says “All Welcome” lets get something clear, if you don’t have the patience to deal with that, then the right thing to do, is not join that pug. There is no reason to kick anyone from a Pug that says “All Welcome”

If it said “Speed Run” “Experienced Only” “Know it” or something along those lines, that is one thing, but, if it says “All Welcome” then, there is no reason at all to kick someone from that group. If you are having a bad day, if your nerves are frazzled, if you simply do not have the tolerance to deal with a random pug that could be full of bads, then there is a good chance that an “All Welcome” LFG is not going to be the right kind of LFG for you, unless you really, really, love running with bads.

Personally I am stunned by this, and I am not sure if it is a growing problem, but it is a problem none the less. Not sure what the solution is tho.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

Did you even read the OP?

yep. A simple “All welcome” doesn’t always register with people, especially if they are in a hurry to find a group and just wanna grab the first lfg that pops up. Specifically putting “newbies” or “first timers” or something like that in the description better deter players who kick for low AP. Adding hearts or smilelies help as well. The fluffier the description the better. I’ve recently been doing fractals with a friend who has ~1k AP and this is the best filter method we’ve found so far.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: valheru.7891

valheru.7891

I don’t mind having new players in dungeons/fractals well fractals depends on the level :-). But there is 1 thing they need to do and that is listen. Usually when i see someone with -1k AP I ask in chat if anyone needs an explanation or something. If i dodn’t get a reply I just go on. But sometimes I see them running like headless chickens and then I ask again if they need an explanation. If there still doing stupid stuff where you can see that they just don’t know the mechanic’s. I ask 1 more time with a warning that I’m going to kick them if they don’t listen. I have patience and although it’s a long time ago. I too had to learn how to run dungeons/fractals. But if there to stupid to even say. I don’t know how this goes. can you explain. Then I don’t bother to type everything if the chances are very big there not even going to listen.

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

People have good days, people have bad days.
They might just carry you along on some day and decide to kick you on another day. They might have joined hastely, looked around to see everyone at 15k+ ap apart from this one guy at 2k and decided to clean his spot for a more fitting member.
It is in their power to do this, considering how the kicking system is based on a majority decision in this game.
Of course it sucks to be the one opening the party and then getting kicked for it.

I certainly do have days in which I’d kick anyone not fitting any of the requirements I set prior to them joining. Considering how used people are to this, they might just kick anyone without a thought. Even the party “leader”.

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

Yeah, your friend’s story is sad, but you need a little more data to consider it a trend. I think the pugs were just jerks. T1 fracs are ezmode so unless your friend was doing really stupid things to wipe the group, that kind of behavior seems extreme.

I just leave groups if we obviously can’t handle the frac. I’ve only ever kicked people for not having enough AR, because in my opinion, doing a frac when you KNOW you don’t have the AR for it is extremely rude.

Osu

Posted by: littlemunster.1059

littlemunster.1059

Just the other day i did 80 i think jade maw for daily t4. I was with 2 of my friends. While we passed the mobs to platform with no problems, one of the pugs seemed to struggle to pass by. He died 3 times trying to get to platform. He had around 3k ap. Ok we waited. Then when he did manage to get to the boss he was insta killed by the agony. He tried again and died again. “Ar?” I asked. No reply. Then we started to kill the mobs becacause we were waiting for 15 min allready. Then i tried to vote kick him but one of my friends told me “let him be” which made me mad.

Having a lousy day allready i was not in the mood of carrying a person who tought he can piggy back off rest of the party for free loot. We didn’t kick him because it was not that hard to 4man it, but this is where elitistm is born, 15k ap requirementa in lfg, kicking low ap people and so on. Basicly for saving your own nervs on the place you came to relax after a day at work and from prolonging the run and failing at content that has been present for 3 years.

This… I can relate to since it clearly is a lack of AR and the piggy backer most likely knowingly join the group hoping for a free ride. Should have kicked since it has nothing to do with anything else than AR. He/she won’t be able to help and instead can make this a little more difficult than it should be. Typically if it was me and nobody wanted to kick, I would have leave and redo since it might even be faster than wasting time trying to carry. Anet clearly added the suggested AR for players to look at so they don’t go into the wrong levels. Don’t forget there’s this spot inside that let’s you check your AR against the level selected.

The BG Super Munster!

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

This… I can relate to since it clearly is a lack of AR and the piggy backer most likely knowingly join the group hoping for a free ride. Should have kicked since it has nothing to do with anything else than AR. He/she won’t be able to help and instead can make this a little more difficult than it should be. Typically if it was me and nobody wanted to kick, I would have leave and redo since it might even be faster than wasting time trying to carry. Anet clearly added the suggested AR for players to look at so they don’t go into the wrong levels. Don’t forget there’s this spot inside that let’s you check your AR against the level selected.

I understand not wanting to carry people, but we are not talking about doing a T4 Daily Speed Run, we are talking about people kicking someone from a Level 13 Fractal that said “All Welcome”

There is no justification for that.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty