End chest in dungeons and bonus

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

The more I read this forum and the more I’m afraid about the community splitting in 3 categories : the one who go fast in dungeons, the one who wants to play “as intended by the devs” and the third one being people who remain silent and can fit in both other groups.

I thought about a suggestion that could help (it has maybe already been suggested but the search function is weird on this forum). What about Bonus end-chests ?

First, since dungeon rewards are not so good I don’t think this should be a replacement but rather an addition. Ok it would need some work from the devs and I’m not sure there is still a dungeon team with a design philosophy and long term visibility on that field but who knows…

The bonus end-chests should be awarded according to dungeon specific meta events and would contain rewards according to the completed events. I don’t know if it would be better to choose the event at the begining nor if they should be mutually exclusive. Those events could be timers meaning you would have to “rush” the dungeon (maybe different levels for different times like boss blitz) or extermination where you should avoid skipping trash and the more you kill the better the reward. One could also imagine other meta events involving the bonus event, defiance removal (?)…

Two things are important :
-the reward only comes if you finish the dungeon (for no “trash farm” activities)
-the different bonus chest shouldn’t contain the same reward to encourage communities to mix. One meta could reward gold, another token or dragonites …

LFG could be updated so that people can specify in the group what bonus they target and of course the completion of these meta could be part of an achievement.

Do you think it could be a nice idea ?

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Personally I like it. But it might cause problems for people looking for groups, like having another thing that divides the dungeon runners in game might force people to be waiting longer for groups. But otherwise I like the idea.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: proviticus.4183

proviticus.4183

I like it too. It has real potential as long as care is taken to balance the rewards for time spent. I.E. the reward for one of the clearing goals should be better than the reward for the speed clear, though, since speed clear also requires some skill, rewards couldn’t be just a function of expected time spent. Anyway, I’m not a dev and I don’t have to figure out how it would need to be balanced. I’m just saying it definitely would need to be balanced. Otherwise all those pugs will switch from “zerk 80s” to “zerk 80s speedclear”

Lilith Ajit.6173

If a team can get say a gold level reward for being that fast it takes skill. There isn’t a skill in killing a bunch of mobs. It’s just.. killing. To make everyone happy the high level reward for fastest run should be equivalent to the full clear. It’s when we start getting into “mediocre times” that it should be lowered.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Hell yeah, that’s something that I thought they should have implemented a while ago.

Actually something even better:

On a game I played for a while, Runescape, people started to really get fascinated with speedclearing in dungeoneering. Clans (guilds) emerged where people had to pass trials, people sold/bought floors (paths), went for records and more. Early on, Jagex added a timer that displayed at the end of a path with all of the other statistics such as % of rooms opened/% of mobs killed etc. Here’s an example:

http://i.imgur.com/keSNBcG.png

I’ve thought that this should not only be implemented, but separate rewards based off of the same concept. Your suggestion is basically one in the same. =)

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Hell yeah, that’s something that I thought they should have implemented a while ago.

On a game I played for a while, Runescape, people started to really get fascinated with speedclearing in dungeoneering. Clans (guilds) emerged where people had to pass trials, people sold/bought floors (paths), went for records and more. Early on, Jagex added a timer that displayed at the end of a path with all of the other statistics such as % of rooms opened/% of mobs killed etc. Here’s an example:

I’ve thought that this should not only be implemented, but separate rewards based off of the same concept. Your suggestion is basically one in the same. =)

They improved on the timer so you can now see it counting. :D

Also, KILL STEALER.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

This is something I’d like to see.

If your team can finish the dungeon within the time limit – bonus chest.
If your team kills every mob in the dungeon – bonus chest.
(the closest thing we could get to vanquishing from GW1)
If your team completes every event in the dungoen – bonus chest.
(When was the last time you saw a group do the ghost event under the stairs in AC?)

Most of all I’d like to see tiers of these things, like bronze, sliver & gold. I’d also like them to stack. As in, a team finishes within the time limit to earn a silver / gold chest but they also completed every event on the path to earn a gold chest for that. They just earned two bonus chests.

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

They improved on the timer so you can now see it counting.

Also, KILL STEALER.

Wow, RS looks very good now. I might start playing it again (didn’t go so far before tho)

Purple Miku.7032

Nah don’t go back to it now, it’s terrible :P

It was once amazing, but fell victim to being dragged in an awful direction and right now they’re trying to salvage it.

Lucas.9157

It was once amazing, but fell victim to being dragged in an awful direction and right now they’re trying to salvage it.

It was terrible when I played too (5 years ago), but the nostalgia is too stronk

Ranael.6423

I like it too. It has real potential as long as care is taken to balance the rewards for time spent. I.E. the reward for one of the clearing goals should be better than the reward for the speed clear, though, since speed clear also requires some skill, rewards couldn’t be just a function of expected time spent. Anyway, I’m not a dev and I don’t have to figure out how it would need to be balanced. I’m just saying it definitely would need to be balanced. Otherwise all those pugs will switch from “zerk 80s” to “zerk 80s speedclear”

Not sure SCs are THAT easy. It mainly depends on the thresholds exactly as Lilith said. And such rewards would be once a day like every dungeon reward meaning that if you fail at one point then you have to reset the dungeon if you only want gold reward….

But I also think the reward should be different not only in amount but also in variety (gold for speed, token for clear as an example).

Didn’t know anything about Runescape til now… seems a really good system that offers a lot to different gamestyle.

(When was the last time you saw a group do the ghost event under the stairs in AC?)

Most of all I’d like to see tiers of these things, like bronze, sliver & gold. I’d also like them to stack. As in, a team finishes within the time limit to earn a silver / gold chest but they also completed every event on the path to earn a gold chest for that. They just earned two bonus chests.

I don’t think everything should be cumulative or at least not everything Gold at the same time.

Then I forgot that sadly such suggestion could not be applied to Aetherpath since iirc you clear trash anyway. And rewarding time … wel they should fix ooze font first since the success of this can be random…

Purple Miku.7032

It was terrible when I played too (5 years ago), but the nostalgia is too stronk

November of 2012 was the last straw for the live game. EoC was dreadful. However, my nostalgia was totally killed off after trying old school RS and finding out how pathetic the community overall was. Goldfarming (some people on here might not understand what this really means— it’s having a network of suicide accounts botting to farm gold and sell on various websites) was an accepted norm, and if you didn’t bot your stats you were considered an outcast. It was terrible.

Lucas.9157

Didn’t know anything about Runescape til now… seems a really good system that offers a lot to different gamestyle.

Yes, but all those numbers will drive away playho… casu… non-elitists

Posted by: proviticus.4183

proviticus.4183

Not sure SCs are THAT easy. It mainly depends on the thresholds exactly as Lilith said. And such rewards would be once a day like every dungeon reward meaning that if you fail at one point then you have to reset the dungeon if you only want gold reward….

But I also think the reward should be different not only in amount but also in variety (gold for speed, token for clear as an example).

I agree 100%. I feel like I must have badly worded my post, since it seems some people thought I was being disagreeable. I only said that I think it would have to be carefully balanced, and what you and lilith are suggesting is how to balance that, which is more useful than me just saying it needs to be balanced.

My example of poor balance would be that everyone does speed clears, for example if they were set at 15 minutes like the OP said, which seems quite easy with some dungeons and paths. I would still want great rewards for great speed runs.

Ranael.6423

I agree 100%. I feel like I must have badly worded my post, since it seems some people thought I was being disagreeable. I only said that I think it would have to be carefully balanced, and what you and lilith are suggesting is how to balance that, which is more useful than me just saying it needs to be balanced.

My example of poor balance would be that everyone does speed clears, for example if they were set at 15 minutes like the OP said, which seems quite easy with some dungeons and paths. I would still want great rewards for great speed runs.

I totally agree that the balance has to be finely tuned … but on that field only devs have the needed metrics to do it well.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

It can’t be a straight equality between Speed run and Full clear for sure. Because time. Who will full clear if speed run gives just as much?

Snow Crows [SC]

Lilith Ajit.6173

It can’t be a straight equality between Speed run and Full clear for sure. Because time. Who will full clear if speed run gives just as much?

If the speed time for gold is really really low, close to world records (maybe adding a few minutes just for fluff) people might find it more advantageous to full clear.

[ARES]

Ranael.6423

If the speed time for gold is really really low, close to world records (maybe adding a few minutes just for fluff) people might find it more advantageous to full clear.

Totally agree on that, if you decide for full clear you are sure to finish it unless people have to leave urgently. If you decide to go under a certain time, you are never sure to do it… not even speacking about lags, computer crashes which would affect more the SC than the full clear.

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

They would have to set a different timer for each path and make sure it is doable, but not easy. 15 minutes for AC p1 would be way too much since the world record atm is 4:xx and a casual run would take no longer than 8-10 mins, depending on spider queen rng I guess. So something like 6 min for that path for gold reward, 8 min for silver and 10+ for bronze would be a good standard. Rewards should be balanced ofcourse, maybe 1g for bronze, 2g for silver and 3g for gold.

Having the reward daily and forcing a reset if you mess up would be great, it would finally add some element of risk to PvE.

Also just want to add that people on LFG do not do speedclears, they just put it in their LFG to sound good or something, they are pugs after all and will never get the times a true speedclear would get.

Nova [rT]

Ranael.6423

They would have to set a different timer for each path and make sure it is doable, but not easy. 15 minutes for AC p1 would be way too much since the world record atm is 4:xx and a casual run would take no longer than 8-10 mins, depending on spider queen rng I guess. So something like 6 min for that path for gold reward, 8 min for silver and 10+ for bronze would be a good standard. Rewards should be balanced ofcourse, maybe 1g for bronze, 2g for silver and 3g for gold.

Having the reward daily and forcing a reset if you mess up would be great, it would finally add some element of risk to PvE.

Also just want to add that people on LFG do not do speedclears, they just put it in their LFG to sound good or something, they are pugs after all and will never get the times a true speedclear would get.

That’s true there is a big difference between speedclears and rush. Nevertheless I’m not sure if the rewards should be much more than simple completion because some people may still want to find groups for the actual “rush”. Or as in your example do you think eveyone should earn the bronze reward for speed or kill ? In that case very few people would try the killing event unless the reward is totally different (like previously suggested people wanting token would activate killing reward to gain more token even for rush) ?

Lindbur.2537

I feel like the new combat system has much more depth to it, but I think things may be dying too fast there, especially with lv 90 weapons. It’s insane.

But then again no one likes beating on 200+ of the same old meatsacks that take so long to kill. :p

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

That’s true there is a big difference between speedclears and rush. Nevertheless I’m not sure if the rewards should be much more than simple completion because some people may still want to find groups for the actual “rush”. Or as in your example do you think eveyone should earn the bronze reward for speed or kill ? In that case very few people would try the killing event unless the reward is totally different (like previously suggested people wanting token would activate killing reward to gain more token even for rush) ?

I guess you could add an extra reward on top of the bronze/silver/gold reward for each optional objective completed, but that wouldn’t totally fix the problem. They should give silver mobs some loot that would make them worth it to kill (like dropping 50c-1silver each would make a big difference) and they should give bosses like Kholer, Cave Troll and Ooze King unique drops with a very low drop chance in addition to standard boss loot, to make them more appealing to kill. Even if you don’t get the super rare drop you still get rewarded as you would for any other boss but you have the small chance of getting something super valuable.

Nova [rT]

Purple Miku.7032

I feel like the new combat system has much more depth to it, but I think things may be dying too fast there, especially with lv 90 weapons. It’s insane.

But then again no one likes beating on 200+ of the same old meatsacks that take so long to kill. :p

I see what you mean.

The problem is that the entire game was designed for the former primitive click-and-wait combat system, but when they rolled out EoC they didn’t change everything accordingly. When they released it, everything was in chaos and it was overwhelming how many things didn’t work, how many mobs could get 1-hit and such. An implementation like that… the game was not prepared for. Action bar combat definitely has more depth, but I don’t think that there would have been a practical way for it to make its way into RS.

Lindbur.2537

It was terrible when I played too (5 years ago), but the nostalgia is too stronk :(

I see what you mean.

The problem is that the entire game was designed for the former primitive click-and-wait combat system, but when they rolled out EoC they didn’t change everything accordingly. When they released it, everything was in chaos and it was overwhelming how many things didn’t work, how many mobs could get 1-hit and such. An implementation like that… the game was not prepared for. Action bar combat definitely has more depth, but I don’t think that there would have been a practical way for it to make its way into RS.

On the upside though, the beta for a revamped version of the old system is coming very soon – maybe you might want to check it out? It’s going to co-exist with EoC but I don’t think I want to know how complex it’s gonna get.

PS: We reeeeally should take this elsewhere or my FC will go back up to 10 minutes again. :D

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Vanquishing and speed runs were both in GW1. Loved them both. Great idea!

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

Ranael.6423

They should give silver mobs some loot that would make them worth it to kill (like dropping 50c-1silver each would make a big difference) and they should give bosses like Kholer, Cave Troll and Ooze King unique drops with a very low drop chance in addition to standard boss loot, to make them more appealing to kill. Even if you don’t get the super rare drop you still get rewarded as you would for any other boss but you have the small chance of getting something super valuable.

While having special skins on each bosses is a nice idea (though hard to implement in term of art I guess) I remember a post saying that adding mooney on trash could end up by having silver mob farming group. Maybe it is not that bad but in this time devs were afraid of this economy wise. I don’t have any clue on their stance on that now.

Vanquishing and speed runs were both in GW1. Loved them both. Great idea!

The only difference is that Vanquish never existed in dungeon context (was there a reason for that ?) and speed runs were more a game within the game (as solo farm was for example) and was never rewarded in any way. Here it would add some sort of competition for players and between teams. Maybe they want to avoid that but I have the impression that it could create some new challenge to drag people in dungeon.
Also as dungeon completion is right now it is set up so that every team of player who know what to do can finish it whatever their stuff or build (to a certain extent). The proposed events would “force” people towards certain team composition to optimize the runs … which is good for some people but can be seen as too elitist for others …

(not saying the idea is bad of course …. just trying to figure out the flaws :p )

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

Great idea. There are “bonus” events in most of the dungeon paths. Leave the gold reward at the end the same but add 10s/T6/Loot bag/etc. for each bonus event you complete. Finish the escort across the first bridge + killing the ooze boss yields 2 bonus loot bags.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg