Engineer vs Ranger

Engineer vs Ranger

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: twhite.9310

twhite.9310

Hey guys! I’m here to discuss which would you rather have in a team. I don’t want an answer from someone who only goes by what they are told and have never played either class. I know Engineers are great in PvE but they have their faults just like ranger. I have played since release but I have mainly been in PvP. I may level a ranger( already have 80 tomes.) Based on experience what do you guys think? Should I just continue with Engineer or is a Ranger even worth leveling? I know Engineers have one of the hardest hitting Auto-Attacks if not the hardest( next to Lich Form) but also on top of that they have quite a bit of team support:
*(Stealth,Heals,Up to 24 stacks of might((can’t seem to get 25 yet team wide)),Vuln stack,Wall Of Reflection/Smoke Screen,Pulls for Certain Bosses, Knockbacks for certain Bosses)

Now what exactly do rangers offer besides Spotter and Frost Spirit. I know they have a water field, reflects, some fury and might for team, and quite a bit of dmg but what exactly would experienced dungeon runners rather have.

“Backpack called me bad” – Slaughter Melon

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Obviously depends on the rest of the group and what I’m going to do.

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Both are getting decent buffs in a future patch, I would guess you will see more of both once the FGS nerf hits. They are both fun, my advice, use the lvl 20 tome to level up and then the other 60. That way you are at lvl 40 on your next character!

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

If the team has no fury, a ranger with warhorn and the red moa would be an extremely nice addition.

Engineer has better utility and damage, so generally prefer them.

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Rangers have their niche with spotter frost spirit while engis don’t asside from vulnerability stacking but they are just awsome. Engis are capable of being a poor mans thief, ele, and guardian just so much nice utility for non optimized groups.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

As someone who pretty much mains ranger and engineer I think both have their niche use. Ranger is good for dungeons where it’s mostly running from boss to boss and then FGS/ice bow them down as fast as possible and engi is better for fractals where it’s all around utility is good for carrying pugs/your team.

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

The Ranger does comparatively poorly for support in a pug since their primary buffs (fury, Spotter, Frost Spirit) are all percentage-based boons that depends on their party having a certain level of DPS already. With the buff to DPS they’re getting next patch they’ll be viable again in minmaxed parties but they’lls till be crap for pugs because you’re simply taking way too much of a DPS hit in exchange for that support, which will have relatively little impact on already-weak pugs.

Engineers on the other hand are also reliant on a percentage-based buff (Vulnerability) but they at least have very good solo DPS of their own and they can stack a good amount of might, which benefits low-DPS pugs way more (power still benefits PVT bads with no precision or ferocity, and has an even bigger impact on pugs in non-power stat gear like Knight or Celestial).

Engineer also CCs and stealths really well so they’re a lifesaver for stuff like Arah too.

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

Rangers have their niche with spotter frost spirit while engis don’t asside from vulnerability stacking but they are just awsome. Engis are capable of being a poor mans thief, ele, and guardian just so much nice utility for non optimized groups.

Check out our recent record run for AC story mode. It is in fact crucial in this very optimized group to bring an Engineer.

With Engi providing enough stealth, and with many non FGS encounters, Engi is important to keep the high vuln uptime otherwise difficult to achieve.

(edited by xallever.1874)

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Check out our recent record run for AC story mode. It is in fact crucial in this very optimized group to bring an Engineer.

With Engi providing enough stealth, and with many non FGS encounters, Engi is important to keep the high vuln uptime otherwise difficult to achieve.

Are you sure? With every single mob dieing instantly it didnt look like the engi was needed. :P

Engineer vs Ranger

xallever.1874

To the OP, if you’ll be pugging a lot, generally it’s easier to be more useful as an Engi than a Ranger. But both are viable. Why not make both, learn the two classes and love them and become an excellent player using either?

Engineer vs Ranger

xallever.1874

Are you sure? With every single mob dieing instantly it didnt look like the engi was needed. :P

I guess it’s an exaggeration :p

The part after the split though…

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Yeah that still seemed pretty pointless. :P

Thief would of been fine. But then it would be pretty much just a slightly improved version of the previous record.

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: JasmineLong.6514

JasmineLong.6514

The reason we went with engi over thief was that the engi can blast stealth quicker than the thief during the split IMO. This allowed the ele, me in the run, to not have to use as many blasts during the stealth section which resulted in less downtime before Nente. I did mess up a bit during the split as it could have gone smoother but it was super late for me even though that isn’t an excuse. I found it fun having the engi however for this one. We did try with thief as well and the result wasn’t that desirable IMO.

Engineer vs Ranger

Posted by: JasmineLong.6514

JasmineLong.6514

Also it helped for the vuln when we weren’t able to “lol fgs wall rush” things