Explorable CoE - Evolved Destroyer

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I did that one yesterday, and it must’ve been one of the most tedious boss fights so far. So basically you have to sync the lasers with 3 people to bring down the shield. Then everyone has to get down on that platform, gets a few seconds to bash on the Destroyer or maybe get 1 Meteor Shower down before the shield is back up and repeat the process.
I don’t know, it just seemed like a boss that could’ve been interesting, but ended up being a total bore.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

The red platforms can be jumped on.

There’s also a staircase on the east side of the room.

For my party we had 3 people on the lasers, me on that staircase, and then a ranger above me. When the shield dropped i’d ride the lightning across the gap right into melee range of the beast where i’d start to DPS him. And the ranger would shoot at him from above with the longbow.

When the shield came back up i’d get back to my staircase and wait for my party members to drop the shield again.

It honestly goes much faster if 3 people just stay on the cannons at all times, because then you can drop the shield faster than if they kept trying to platform down to him.

I will admit it’s probably the least fun of the 3 unique boss fights in CoE.

Posted by: Gies.3824

Gies.3824

The kitten, of course it is long a tedious if you just stand there and do it that way. I enjoyed this fight, 3 people activate laser, all 5 go do damage, run back up do again. Can’t just run around saying “We cheesed it and it was boring and tedious.”

Posted by: Furienify.5738

Furienify.5738

Ok, when we ran down the platforms, the three of us had about 2 second of DPS time before he was immune again.

Are you sure you’re doing it right?

As soon as you see all three lasers manifest, everyone runs for the platforms and starts jumping down. You have time for go through a full Mesmer Time Warp (10s) before the shield even starts flickering back into existence. If you’re super worried about getting caught or not making it back, said Mesmer can easily portal everyone back to the ledges.

I pretty much agree with Gies. If everyone has experience with jumping puzzles or Vistas, the fight doesn’t take that long, especially if casualties are minimized. All you stand to lose, really, is time. (Which is a pity and why I think there should be a closer waypoint.)

(edited by Furienify.5738)

Posted by: Furienify.5738

Furienify.5738

When you say the encounter doesn’t take that long, how long are you talking about, approximately? We found that jumping down the panels as soon as the lasers manifest did not yield enough DPS time for the group, as a whole.

Assuming no deaths? Under 10 minutes with my group. 2 Mesmers, 1 Elementalist, 1 Thief, 1 Engineer. Nobody should be standing back at anywhere and RDPSing the guy; he’s pretty much harmless in melee so long as people know to not stand in red circles. You can spec almost entirely for damage and mobility, while teleports and stun breakers will help if you do get knocked in the lava.

I still believe they need a closer waypoint; it’s a fun fight when you can actually tackle all the jumps and mechanics with some confidence, but the runback just deters new folks from trying their hand at it (deterred from enjoying themselves, what is this world coming to) since they risk wasting their group’s time.

Posted by: Richard Thallum.7504

Richard Thallum.7504

I still believe they need a closer waypoint; it’s a fun fight when you can actually tackle all the jumps and mechanics with some confidence, but the runback just deters new folks from trying their hand at it (deterred from enjoying themselves, what is this world coming to) since they risk wasting their group’s time.

I agree! I felt like a lazer-wielding platform-jumping ninja! Screw you and your fancy shield, you evolved fire freak!

I just want to put out there, that it was really fun when our group hit the lazers, and ALL ran down the jumps as soon as the lazer beams started hitting the shield. (Gotta make sure they all go off near the same time – might want to practice a few times.) But, this put us all down there on his face right when the shield dropped and we all got to dps his face. Then, since he does no dmg, you are free to jump to one of the side stair wells right before the shield pops back up. (The shield flickers 4 times before it comes on again.)

You can burn him pretty hard, all run out, drop the shield, and do it again. A couple people might die, but as long as there’s three, the party carries on while they run back. Am I the only person that likes this fight? hahaha.

We did have one person that could range him from the top of the stairs, so we were safe from a reset if we all fell in the lava. Another advantage of this tactic, is that it keeps 3 people from being bored, and the other 2 from incurring all of the repair bill.

I got my Propaganda, I got Revisionism. I got my Violence in hi-def ultra-realism.

(edited by Richard Thallum.7504)

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

His shield should have been needed to be broken only once.

This is the only change needed to this boss.

Posted by: omgwtflolbbl.7142

omgwtflolbbl.7142

I hate evolved destroyer more than any other boss. He poses no difficulty at all and is simply a test of patience. I have used both methods (staying at the bottom as well as firin the laser and jumping down/up), and honestly it’s just tedious. It’s not difficult in the slightest, and you could probably write a bot to run through this encounter. It would feel a whole lot more interesting if the shield stayed down longer when successfully disabled, and the boss himself was given more moves to attack players when they actually get down there. Seriously, 2 easily dodged dragons teeth and a fire shield, that’s really all this boss does?

It should feel like I’m jumping down into a pit with a dangerous and threatening monster, not a punching bag. The evolved destroyer’s sandbag nature just makes this whole encounter feel boring IMO. Coupled with the fact that he just derps there while you slowly take down his precious shield is just ugh. I feel no threat whatsoever from this boss encounter. Not just because I’ve done it a lot and am used to it, but because he seriously just doesn’t do anything notable or threatening. The champion abomination is more threatening than this guy.

(edited by omgwtflolbbl.7142)

Posted by: Kuthos.9623

Kuthos.9623

This boss is pretty boring once you figure it out but using a safe spot? You’re doing it wrong.

3 people using lasers, but EVERYONE jumps down after you’ve activated the lasers. Everyone gets at least 6-8 seconds of dps. Use burst damage skills for your utility slots, elite etc.

When the shield is about to go back up, just jump on the bottom red platform, then jump to the stairs which lead back up. Rinse, repeat.

Posted by: omgwtflolbbl.7142

omgwtflolbbl.7142

This boss is pretty boring once you figure it out but using a safe spot? You’re doing it wrong.

3 people using lasers, but EVERYONE jumps down after you’ve activated the lasers. Everyone gets at least 6-8 seconds of dps. Use burst damage skills for your utility slots, elite etc.

When the shield is about to go back up, just jump on the bottom red platform, then jump to the stairs which lead back up. Rinse, repeat.

You only need 3 people up top when activating the lasers. There’s no reason not to have 2 people in the safe spots at the bottom at all times. You can have the others rotate up and down between laser fires, but there’s no reason for all 5 to go up and down together. It’s just extra work for no gain at all for the 2 not running the lasers.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

This fight is just incredibly tedious, no matter how you put it. It also doesn’t fit in CoE’s ethos. Aren’t you meant to be escaping while the building collapses around you? Suddenly, you’re held up for 10-15 minutes while you grind a boss that simply stands there and poses no threat to you whatsoever.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief