FOTM Even Levels. Map 4 as a Ranger...

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Ishbaal.1503

Ishbaal.1503

Can really really really suck. My guild group runs 2 rangers pretty often. My main in Fotm is my ranger. Nothing more annoying then having your pet get targeted 15 times to my 1 on the boss fight.

Throw in another ranger and it takes for ever to finish the boss unless you get really lucky. But in my experience my pet gets targeted 2-3 time more than me, even though he is dead the whole time. Is there a reason for this?

Lastly, maybe im a noob and there is something i am doing wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.

*If this has been posted about to death I apologize. My guild just started running FOTM last week so just discovering what eveyone else knew 3 months ago im sure.

Posted by: Waraxx.4286

Waraxx.4286

yeah, if you are unlucky there it could take some additional time, witch kinda sux but it should’t be more than a couple of minutes.

to coplete the boss the fatestway:

phase 1: kill the recquired amount of mobs asap to get to phase 2.

phase 2: kill arms asap( i don’t know how the proper term is spelled). usually when i play fractals with my friends we can have a rotation of 2 arms down all the time. ( the 2 closest and 1 in the middle) kill one and the third should re spawn. i think 1 arm kill equals to one crystal hit.

so in the phase 2 just dps all day long and the boss should be over with quickly ( but don’t forget to be close to a shard and the rest of the group if a res is needed)

hope this helped

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

As a necromancer I have the same problem. I actually dont run pets, but Jad maw targets my bone minions from killing arms ROFL. I don’t think there is much you can do, except stow your pets every chance you get.

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

As a mesmer I got the same problem. However, it is crap they won’t fix it (cf the thread about grubs on Lupicus) just because some players are too bad to dodge the attacks and want to keep that for tactical reasons (lol).

Posted by: Waraxx.4286

Waraxx.4286

well the tactics should still be there i think. but a boost in our chancees i think could be increased. make every player have the chance “weight” of 2 or even 3 pets

or

randomize a player and if the player have any pets/minions then randomize between the player and his pets again.

just some thoughts.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

If the maw wouldn’t target downed pets, rangers would have the same choice as other classes that have access to ‘extras’: use them, or don’t use them.

Want a pet around? Switch to a live one. Don’t want a pet around? Keep the downed one limping around uselessly and have it not be targeted by anything. That’s how it should be in my opinion.

No other profession is absolutely obliged to have deadweight companions at times.

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Think Robert posted 2 weeks ago saying this was getting fixed in the January patch and ranger/necro/mesmer pets/summons will no longer get targeted

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Posted by: Kami.7369

Kami.7369

Think Robert posted 2 weeks ago saying this was getting fixed in the January patch and ranger/necro/mesmer pets/summons will no longer get targeted

This is the correct response. It’s something that’s supposed to be fixed in the Jan update.

Jonlo Vangalen
Getof Fenris – Blackgate
http://getoffenris.com/

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

No it isn’t. Rob said he wasn’t going to change the Jade Maw’s behavior with respect to pets because “it is actually pretty clever” (Source).

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

No it isn’t. Rob said he wasn’t going to change the Jade Maw’s behavior with respect to pets because “it is actually pretty clever” (Source).

Yeah looks like he’s updated since the original post. That’s incredibly disappointing, since this just slows down runs. We don’t need pets/minions/clones/turrets to get targeted in order to relieve pressure, Maw is already one of the slowest paced fractals. I’ve NEVER run into a team (even at 40+) that has had trouble keeping up with anything other agony on Maw. Usually we’re just standing there waiting for more Colossi/Tentacles to spawn b/c we drop them so quickly!

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The way I look at it is thus:
- Below level 10, have it target pets and summons
- At level 10 and above, have it only target players

This way, low level players just trying to enjoy content can use their ‘clever’ strategy to stay alive, but it gets ‘harder’ for them in higher levels, which not only makes sense, but speeds it up for the good players.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

^This is a good idea.
Seriously, frustrating majority of players just because some bad players don’t know how to dodge is not cool :/
I like that idea since it provides a “raise in difficulty” with scale (juste like bump on harpies in uncategorised fractal) that would satisfy both parts I think.
Beginners would have time to slowly adapt and then get more experience and don’t have to face this anymore : smooth progression.