Fear climate in dungeons nowadays

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

If you are being kicked only because you play “wrong” profession the only one to blame is arena net for making poor balance between classes.

The rest of this topic is only insults towards ppl playing dungeons therefore I am not going to participate in the discussion full of bias, hate and antagonism.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

I don’t know how much you’ve played on EU, Dusk, but after having transferred I have a lot more sympathy for people who say its hard to pug with necro/ranger. For whatever reason EU pugs are much, much more class conscious, and when I pug with my ranger I’m frequently insta-kicked from groups with descriptions as basic as “p1”. As in, I’ll be kicked before I even load into the correct map, before I can even say anything. It’s not all the time, but it’s enough that it wears me down and by the end of the night I usually switch to ele/guard/thief etc. I just point it out because its one of those weird NA/EU differences that is hard to see unless you’ve played on both servers.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

If people just took the time to read the lfg post before joining, there would be nothing to fear. They bring it on themselves by clicking and joining the first group they see even though they do not have the lfg requirements. (specific level, experience, agony resist, etc)
What I would like to see:
When a player clicks on the join button in the lfg tool a confirmation window with the full lfg description pops up and asks “Are you sure you want to join this group?”

Sometimes it’s not in the description.

Try for example joining a pug Arah p1/2 "speed’ (no such thing in pugs, what they usually mean is stealth run) as a Necromancer or Ranger. Try the same on fractal 50.

The fact is, you’ll likely never get kicked as soon as you join on an ele or warrior, ever.

I think those are the most obvious examples people cringe at. Or they get tired of waiting an extra 5-20 minutes because less people want to join the group with a necromancer, a ranger, a mesmer and a warrior versus the group with a thief, two eles, and warrior/guardian.

It’s really not such a mystery. GW2 is one of the most rage-ish PvE communities relatives to other MMO’s out there. In Wildstar you had people from the leading raiding guild worldwide, Enigma, helping strangers do attunements on their servers to be able to raid. I’ve seen people from Codex, Enigma, many top 5 guilds joining 5 man dungeons, not once a single one of them was sour or sociopathic.

The closest GW2 gets to this kind of community building is likely via WvW guilds.

Yeah, we should take that as an exemple and see guilds created only for teaching people. We would call it noob or something. Then maybe people from “leading guilds” ( as you said) will start helping people daily because they like doing it. But I’m partly dreaming, I can’t think of a single person being helpful in this toxic community.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I don’t know how much you’ve played on EU, Dusk, but after having transferred I have a lot more sympathy for people who say its hard to pug with necro/ranger. For whatever reason EU pugs are much, much more class conscious, and when I pug with my ranger I’m frequently insta-kicked from groups with descriptions as basic as “p1”. As in, I’ll be kicked before I even load into the correct map, before I can even say anything. It’s not all the time, but it’s enough that it wears me down and by the end of the night I usually switch to ele/guard/thief etc. I just point it out because its one of those weird NA/EU differences that is hard to see unless you’ve played on both servers.

That’s fair! I am NA exclusively, so I don’t have an understanding of how it is across the ocean. Still, I do know a number of top EU speed-running guild members who participate on this forum and even tutor EU players in-game. It’s unfortunate that you have to deal with that in the pub scene, though. I don’t think there’s much anyone can do other than personally give everyone a fair chance so long as they read the LFG. I know that’s what I do!

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

At least a few of us don’t even want most of the general GW2 community because so many of them think they can walk right in with the same open world leeching lootstick mindset and get instant rewards.

The fact that they can go right back to open world loot pinatas is what keeps them from wanting the improve or seriously get into dungeon content.

Differences in completion times are not that insignificant, and it would be irrelevant to us even if they were. We don’t have fun when we are play with those sorts of people.

“Those sort of people” is just the kind of language that even keeps them from wanting to improve and try to join the dungeon community. You don’t even know them and you’ve already condemned them with your assumptions.

Coming from someone who just accused a generalised group of people of treating others as subhuman…..

spoj.9672

Try for example joining a pug Arah p1/2 "speed’ (no such thing in pugs, what they usually mean is stealth run) as a Necromancer or Ranger. Try the same on fractal 50.

I mean, I have done this repeatedly daily in Arah and Fractals L50 for over 2 years. The fact is, I’ve never been kicked from a group that hasn’t explicitly advertised “no necros” as a necro. I do get the “you’re not condi, right?” a bunch, but all I have to do is ping my weapon set and they’re fine. The biggest thing that has kept me from getting kicked is that I talk to people. Be a cool person and people will be more relaxed around you. It doesn’t hurt if you can solo half the bosses on your Necro to boot.

If there is a “fear climate” for dungeons and fractals, I surely haven’t seen it, and I’ve seen enough to feel pretty confident in saying that means it’s not out there. If you don’t read the LFG or aren’t very good at playing the game, obviously your mileage will vary.

This is so true. Ive joined pugs on the necro before plenty of times. And you can tell people tense up. As soon as you start talking they relax. Even had cases where we were able to joke about the class right after i joined.

But i will say EU does have a problem with ignorant and inflexible people. I joined an AC group as ele and got immediately kicked because they wanted a warrior. I even stated ele would be better as soon as i joined.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: Seishiro.7468

Seishiro.7468

yeah I noticed that too. I am not directly affected by it, since I main guardian and most zerkerteams like having one guardian for the staff-boost, stability and protection, but more often then not I see nonsense like “gearcheck” or “no -insertanynonwarriorclasshere-” saying.
I had a ascalongroup just yesterday, where I joined, and everything appeared to be fine at first, but the second a ranger joined they started insulting him before he even said anything and then kicked him. I left the party at this point, because I didn’t want to spend 20 minutes of my life with idiots like that, but I have to assume it is getting harder and harder for players that just started the game to find a dungeonparty, since you get kicked very often for just having less than 5k AP(like that would be any indicator of actual skill, I have almost 10k but I could still suck at dungeons)

Thats the mainreason I get annoyed by the zerkermeta, I don’t have anything against people that like going for high dps glass canons(even though you have to pick them up every time the boss gets off 1-2 hits) is the mentailty many of those so called “zerkers” have, and their instant kitten ation of everything that is no pure dpsbuild.

That said, I am really looking forward to the day my new players reach lvl 30 and for the first time in years I will be able to go into the dungeon with a gorup of people I know that don’t all know where to stack when, that don’t own only exotic gear and still want to see the videosequences while repeatedly dying to the bosses because we will fight them the way they were inteded, on the lvl that was intended, it is going to be hard as a nail and I am sooo looking forward to it

“Trust in iron, not false gods” Karnar Ironclaw, Centurio of the Iron Legion

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Bingo !

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s increasingly clear that GW2 is a very casual MMO (so casual you just need to log in for the daily reward).

You’re post nails it and others in the thread elude to it. I think if Anet ever does turn their attention to dungeons, it will be to make them easier so any level of player, build, etc.. can complete them to fall inline with the market they want the game to appeal to.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

If people just took the time to read the lfg post before joining, there would be nothing to fear. They bring it on themselves by clicking and joining the first group they see even though they do not have the lfg requirements. (specific level, experience, agony resist, etc)
What I would like to see:
When a player clicks on the join button in the lfg tool a confirmation window with the full lfg description pops up and asks “Are you sure you want to join this group?”

The fact is, you’ll likely never get kicked as soon as you join on an ele or warrior, ever.

I think those are the most obvious examples people cringe at. Or they get tired of waiting an extra 5-20 minutes because less people want to join the group with a necromancer, a ranger, a mesmer and a warrior versus the group with a thief, two eles, and warrior/guardian.

It’s really not such a mystery. GW2 is one of the most rage-ish PvE communities relatives to other MMO’s out there. In Wildstar you had people from the leading raiding guild worldwide, Enigma, helping strangers do attunements on their servers to be able to raid. I’ve seen people from Codex, Enigma, many top 5 guilds joining 5 man dungeons, not once a single one of them was sour or sociopathic.

The closest GW2 gets to this kind of community building is likely via WvW guilds.

Yeah, we should take that as an exemple and see guilds created only for teaching people. We would call it noob or something. Then maybe people from “leading guilds” ( as you said) will start helping people daily because they like doing it. But I’m partly dreaming, I can’t think of a single person being helpful in this toxic community.

Saying many people are toxic= all people are toxic and nobody is helpful.

That’s fair! I am NA exclusively, so I don’t have an understanding of how it is across the ocean. Still, I do know a number of top EU speed-running guild members who participate on this forum and even tutor EU players in-game. It’s unfortunate that you have to deal with that in the pub scene, though. I don’t think there’s much anyone can do other than personally give everyone a fair chance so long as they read the LFG. I know that’s what I do!

As others have said, and I’ve played both EU and NA (played EU first, then transferred over when they were doing their overhaul).

You don’t even get the chance to ping your gear, to show them you’re carrying dagger/focus or even link them your gear/tulities/elite.

It’s as simple as joining fractal 50 from Arah, zoning into Lion’s Arch and finding yourself without a party as soon as the loading screen ends.

I mean, people aren’t straight up imagining this. There are bad players of EVERY class. Yet people always recall the bearbow ranger and condi necro without remembering the signet/healshout warriors or the mace/shield guardians.

Hell, ele’s becoming a thing in PuGs is very recent, it took me such a long time, way over several months to notice a change in attitudes recognizing a conjure ele or staff ele or even D/F was actually a great thing to have in fractal 50, yet most LFG’s back then had the whole “heavies only/heavy preferred”.

Sure, guilds are put in this game for the very reason, to avoid this kind of crap. But there are times where people are just not online and you want to get your run done, and the experience has been…..interesting to say the least.

I think a system of karma like I mentioned that gives a monthly reward of say…600-700 gems would be a good incentive for people to be less trigger-happy.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

You’re absolutely right. This community doesn’t give a kitten about anyone. It’s so toxic it hurts.

Take a look at this….yeah, I’m as shocked as you are:
GW2 Dungeon Guide

Yep, these detail every encounter in every dungeon and fractal down to the exact counter for every single mob you will find. You’re right though, these were actually posted online for all to see in order to keep elitist secrets hidden and ensure than Fear Culture will continue to reign supreme for the next 10,000 years.

See, these z3rker elitists knew that hidden knowledge could be placed in plain sight because us common folk are unwilling to read. Knowing this, they discriminated against us by making guides in written format. I know…trust me, I’m as shaken up as you are.

Just take a look at this detailed guide on Dulfy’s site:
Dulfy Fractal Guides

Supposedly it’s quite informative but holy hell those are a lot of words. Apparently she has a bunch of guides on her site but they’re almost all written in words! Luckily some of them have videos though! That’s what I’m talking about. Who wants to go diving through the forums just to find builds…

Speaking of videos, check these ones out:
Nike’s Guides
More Guides

But you’re right Zenith….they’re so kitten long. How am I supposed to watch these things and #1spam-farm open world content. See, these z3rk0rs knew that they were too long for us to watch. They planned it so that no one can ever learn their class or the dungeons. It’s this kitten fear culture. If only more of us knew of their oppressive tactics like we do.

It’s 150% obvious that these elitist scum have no regard for anyone but themselves. Why else would the Dungeon Mentors [Noob] guild be hidden on the first page of this subforum?

These elusive guilds like [Noob] and [ARES] are hiding in plain sight as resources for players who are New to Dungeons and Want to Learn. It’s disgusting I tell ya…

What now z3rk0rz? Zenith and I got ya’ll figured out. You can’t hide behind your
Fractals Tournaments and GW2 Trio Contest. It’s obvious these are just ruses to cover up the secret agenda of the Fear Culture conglomerate that is the dungeon community.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: BBMouse.6510

BBMouse.6510

I have this fear as OP suggested. After few months of absence playing the game, I came back to play it again because of the news of expansion release. Less in a week of play, I got kicked out of blue from a low level fractal run yesterday. I have always been careful not to join trouble looking LFG groups, but there you go it happens anyway. Because of my inflexible play time, I have to use LFG to pug dungeons always.

I understand it’s not the best interest of Anet to ban people and lose players good or bad. So I am suggesting to forget about banning but instead force a title on the player account so that other people can see it. For example make some sort of prisoner/criminal/traitor/Jerk titles. When a player got reported and is proved to be bannable, force those titles on all characters of the account for 2 weeks the first time. They will be carrying those titles during the time they play till time expired and regain control to change their own title. 2nd time is 1 month, etc. The more bannable actions they take will prolong the criminal titles each time. So if a pug using lfg see those kind of titles, they would know what kind of people they are playing with and they can decide to stay or leave party. Those that carry prolonged criminal titles can actually form a guild and enjoy to make friends with like minded people XD. Though it would be hilarious to see a zerg of people with various criminal titles in wvw or boss events XD. Just a suggestion trying to help improve the quality of the game and wish there is something like that in expansion.

Posted by: Faythe.3096

Faythe.3096

Dear Zackie,

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Things have changed since a year ago, and coming back in cold may get a little rough, but I do hope you will keep your faith in the game.

There are plenty of nice people around if you look out for them. The LF forums has many casual guilds or groups who are looking for people, and are open to newer players or non meta builds. Some of the more seasoned veterans in the game can appear harsher at first, but if one exercises some forbearance, these veterans are good fun to be with, and you can learn a great deal from their experience and skills.

People often have preferences about gear, experience, level, etc. They are not necessarily elitists or roods. They just prefer running dungeons in a certain way. If you have your own preferred way, make your own dungeoning team, or find one with a similar philosophy

Occasionally, you meet people who don’t just ask for certain things (like being zerk) but instead, demand that everyone (who isnt an idiot) should be one. It is admittedly not nice being around such people. But try not to take it too harshly. Opinions are like butts – everyone has one. Cheer up, don’t think too much about such stuff.

Wishing you a pleasant gw2 experience ahead,

Faythe

(edited by Faythe.3096)

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I have this fear as OP suggested. After few months of absence playing the game, I came back to play it again because of the news of expansion release. Less in a week of play, I got kicked out of blue from a low level fractal run yesterday. I have always been careful not to join trouble looking LFG groups, but there you go it happens anyway. Because of my inflexible play time, I have to use LFG to pug dungeons always.

I understand it’s not the best interest of Anet to ban people and lose players good or bad. So I am suggesting to forget about banning but instead force a title on the player account so that other people can see it. For example make some sort of prisoner/criminal/traitor/Jerk titles. When a player got reported and is proved to be bannable, force those titles on all characters of the account for 2 weeks the first time. They will be carrying those titles during the time they play till time expired and regain control to change their own title. 2nd time is 1 month, etc. The more bannable actions they take will prolong the criminal titles each time. So if a pug using lfg see those kind of titles, they would know what kind of people they are playing with and they can decide to stay or leave party. Those that carry prolonged criminal titles can actually form a guild and enjoy to make friends with like minded people XD. Though it would be hilarious to see a zerg of people with various criminal titles in wvw or boss events XD. Just a suggestion trying to help improve the quality of the game and wish there is something like that in expansion.

You’d be surprised how some would treat it as a badge of pride. Either way feel free to add me if you want, there are many here who would also love to get you back up to speed. The more people playing Heart of Thorns, the better

Posted by: Equilibriator.8741

Equilibriator.8741

I have had situations where ive been insta kicked for asking a simple question, such as “which way are we doing this bit?”. The question basically checking we are all on same wavelength so they dont start doing it some old way. Then i get insta kicked cos “you should know the path already”.

I’ve also been kicked by a group for knowing the most up to date route when they didnt, and upon going that way, got kicked.

I totally get what OP means, i stopped asking for clarification once the run starts because, more often than id care to think, i have been kicked just for asking a question.

spoj.9672

I have had situations where ive been insta kicked for asking a simple question, such as “which way are we doing this bit?”. The question basically checking we are all on same wavelength so they dont start doing it some old way. Then i get insta kicked cos “you should know the path already”.

I’ve also been kicked by a group for knowing the most up to date route when they didnt, and upon going that way, got kicked.

I totally get what OP means, i stopped asking for clarification once the run starts because, more often than id care to think, i have been kicked just for asking a question.

Never had a problem with that. Maybe you are wording it in a way which is causing misunderstandings?

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

Only if Anet adds other titles like “Bearbow” and “Ranges at Lupi” too

BBMouse.6510

Sounds good. In fact, there used to have a personality system but they removed it. They should have it by letting other players give you personality score instead of letting players define their own. And the title are given by other players as well. So all characters (yeah soul bond) start at 0 (neutral) and they can have a cap of +100 for nice char or -100 for dark char or something like that. Players can work toward one end and others will give score for you by your ingame behavior. And everyone can see the title so people know what kind of people you are in the game and easier to find like mided people. If they really want to consider this, they can work out all details. It’s just an idea. XD

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Sounds good. In fact, there used to have a personality system but they removed it. They should have it by letting other players give you personality score instead of letting players define their own. And the title are given by other players as well. So all characters (yeah soul bond) start at 0 (neutral) and they can have a cap of +100 for nice char or -100 for dark char or something like that. Players can work toward one end and others will give score for you by your ingame behavior. And everyone can see the title so people know what kind of people you are in the game and easier to find like mided people. If they really want to consider this, they can work out all details. It’s just an idea. XD

And saidsystem can be avused by bad people giving good omes bad scores no thanks

BBMouse.6510

And saidsystem can be avused by bad people giving good omes bad scores no thanks

It’s not going to happen. All you need to do is make a minor modification to the current system. People only get a negative score when they are reported bannable actions, which Anet has a team to verify the reports. If you make false reports, they will find out too and give you negnative score instead. Chances are the majority players will stay at 0 score. The point is to allow pug to see the score in the title so that they know who they are playing with.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Got kicked once, must be a “fear” climate.

lol.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.