[Feedback] Thaumanova Boss Arena Update

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: hornswroggle.8023

hornswroggle.8023

First off:
Thank you ArenaNet for this change. The new opaque platform tiles work really well and help the overview over the fight. It solves both the problem of invisible AoE circles as well as the brightness of the reactor core.

One little issue remains though: While the AoE Indicator of the singular Star Smash is acurate the indicators on the platform-wide Cosmic Barrage are not. The actual impact Radius is much larger than what the indicators show.

Also the impact Animation of both of these attacks is just a little bit off from the damage-timing making effective dodging difficult

I know this sounds extremely picky but I want to mention this while this change is fresh so this can maybe get done in a near hotfix.

Cheers

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

New panels are 1000x worse then old ones, the flickering warns much worse when it’s gonna explodes. Why why why brake something Anet.

I know a minority wanted it but plz, this is ugly and not better, except for the aoe red circles of the aoe’s.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I really hate the change, its worse than before now

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

The new tiles are so much better and I have no issues with them to be honest.

Posted by: Zanjii.8214

Zanjii.8214

I love This change Ty 4 that

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

I died from having no stun break.. I’m not sure what happened. I got launched by boss or something and I was stunned literally for like 10s. The tile under me blinked for a couple secs then vanished, I was still stunned but was like wow I’m lucky cos I was midway between two tiles and I thot I could make it.. maybe.

But no, that stun is way too long. I feel kittened for playing a class like warrior that doesn’t have easy access to stun break except for utility, I like how almost every other class has a stun break on their wep skills or something except for warr. Like holy kitten was that an excessively long stun. Either trim it down or help fix our class lol I mean the solid tiles were kinda an unnecessary change tbh it wasn’t that hard to see the tiles blinking even when u were focused on dps’ing and plus the aesthetics took a dive too imo, but that melee knockback is like way hard to anticipate and its not as forgiving either as his other attacks. So pls do something abt this cos it’s embarrassing that any1 should die over this lol

Arun Kar

Posted by: Hydroclasm.8572

Hydroclasm.8572

The opaque floor is fantastic. It’s easier to see which tiles are gone, which ones are going to go, I can see the targeting area for my ground-based AoEs now, and I can distinguish between flux bomb and the Anomaly’s bomb attack now.

Posted by: hornswroggle.8023

hornswroggle.8023

I died from having no stun break.. I’m not sure what happened. I got launched by boss or something and I was stunned literally for like 10s. The tile under me blinked for a couple secs then vanished, I was still stunned but was like wow I’m lucky cos I was midway between two tiles and I thot I could make it.. maybe.

But no, that stun is way too long. I feel kittened for playing a class like warrior that doesn’t have easy access to stun break except for utility, I like how almost every other class has a stun break on their wep skills or something except for warr. Like holy kitten was that an excessively long stun. Either trim it down or help fix our class lol I mean the solid tiles were kinda an unnecessary change tbh it wasn’t that hard to see the tiles blinking even when u were focused on dps’ing and plus the aesthetics took a dive too imo, but that melee knockback is like way hard to anticipate and its not as forgiving either as his other attacks. So pls do something abt this cos it’s embarrassing that any1 should die over this lol

Get me the name of ONE weapon skill that breaks stun! Because I can’t find one for the life of me, at least not on “almost any other class”.
Letalone how many warrior stances break stun….

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Love the opaque floors, sooooo much easier to see what is going on.

As for this:

Suggestion: bring a stun break.

nagr.1593

Get me the name of ONE weapon skill that breaks stun! Because I can’t find one for the life of me, at least not on “almost any other class”.
Letalone how many warrior stances break stun….

To quote myself my exact words were ‘wep skills or something’ so yeah I didn’t rly mean wep skills but I mean let’s face it almost every other class has some form of stun break outside their utility even if they have to trait for it, even if they trait for it that’s ok cos technically it’s considered meta.

I.e. rev has stance change to break stun (from a minor trait or somthing), ele has attune swap or rock mode if I’m remember this correctly, guard has aegis of course, I mean tell me if I’m wrong cos I don’t know classes like ranger and necro but it seems like almost any other class can bring some kind of stun break outside of utility or even if they have to without sacrificing much dps for the sake of it like say only needing to use it once per encounter if ever

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

guard has aegis of course,

…i don’t even.
(in short: no, Nagr, you are very, very wrong. Learn up on all classes and their stunbreaks – including warrior – first. Then post)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

nagr.1593

I didn’t mean aegis by itself, rather the virtue that grants it.. and yeah I had to read up on it cos it’s been years since I played guard but I remember there was some trait that grant u stunbreak when u activated that virtue or whatever. It’s some trait in virtues line and I guess it’s still part of guard meta so again.. not fair how easy it is for some. Look at other classes and u will see what i mean

I was wrong abt ele I guess I was talking abt their focus offhand skill in earth, even tho it’s insta cast it doesn’t rly break stun. But look they got a minor trait or something that meta recommends they take if they need it, my guess it’s not too bad a dps loss if they do take it. In both cases just as the guard one, it’s just insta stun break and has no reqs other than it being off cd. Plus it’s not utility slot skill so they don’t have to sacrifice any amount of dps either.

Rev obviously has stun break on changing stances, from a minor trait that’s actually part of their current meta. So considering that legends don’t take long to swap and the fact that they don’t have to sacrifice any dps either for this useful skill that they have access to basically all the time, yeah there also in better place than warrior.

I don’t know much about other classes or their elite specs, haven’t played thief/mes in ages either but I’m abt 80% sure they have some sort of easy access to stun break aside from slotting utilities or something, or even if they have to its technically considered meta since small dps loss. Again no clue whatsoever abt necro/ranger or others since I don’t have them, but my hunch is they have something similar to prev ones.

So finally we come full circle back to warrior, which again – meta traitlines have nothing helpful for stun breaks, aside from a trait in berserker line that grants stun break on going berserk, but let’s be serious that seems like a pretty significant dps loss to take that trait hence why it’s not even considered in meta. Plus look to activate berserk mode there are two very hardset reqs, 1) you have to not be in berserk and off cd which isn’t as likely and 2) you need full adren. So yeah the fact that adren takes so long to build up and u can’t exactly build it up immediately when ur cc’d like knockdown or stun, makes the trait overall useless as compared to what other classes have. This in turn means u have no other option but to take stun break as utility skill which results in more than a little dps loss since u would be giving up banners or signets. I mean let’s face it like in raids where ur expected to bring two banners and stuff u don’t exactly have a free utility skill either, which basically means ur kittened as compared to other classes cos u don’t have any stun break whatsoever so just have to rely on others or not get cc’d at all. I mean tell me other classes have this same problem and ill believe u cos idk really

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

You are pugging T4 Thaumanova fractal and you are using banners + signet at the anomaly?
Well, it’s fine due to being the meta build on the board but have you actually looked around you during that fight?

I tell you something: Most of the fight your allies aren’t in range of banners and you aren’t in range for stun breaks that come from your allies for example a druid because people are still running (too) much. Even in coordinated groups you have to sidestep a lot, especially after 50% hp of the boss almost everybody has to rotate a bit definitely ending up being outside of banner range most of the time.

So, if you don’t want to change banners and bring them with you because you think it’s a huge dmg increase in this fight, there is another utility slot to use. Swap the signet to “Shake it Off” and you have a stun break every 25 seconds which should be enough to deal with the few irregular knockbacks. Not taking the signet with you doesn’t lower the fight with pugs significantly.
It’s one of these rare fights where full dps won’t work best as long as you are not highly coordinated and bringing a lot of skill. Dunno how often I have given the advice to others to bring defensive utility skills in this fight after jumping from the platform because I wasn’t willing to solo 30-50% of the boss because every other players has been dead already.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Did you know that Headbutt is a stunbreak
Also Necros don’t get to have a stunbreak by default either, for example

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

can confirm as condi necro player, though for the last couple thaumanovas ive done ive swapped in flesh wurm since 2 of the utilities i normally bring are worthless (cpc – self cripple, epi – no adds). i fortunately havent needed to actually use it, cuz a tele is really just gonna kitten me, but i havent needed it cuz ive been positioning myself properly and havent been walking the edges of floor tiles.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

Since no one has pointed out why you fell. The tiles overlap slightly, if you stand on one when it disappears you get knocked down(you also happen to fall because of gravity). This is noticeable when you fall as you character is laying down instead of being vertical, ie. the knockdown continues while you fall. Because the tiles overlap, the knockdown occurs, but the edge of the next tile stops your fall.

tl;dr you got off the tile too slow, move faster. Plan your skill use accordingly.

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

You sound too stuck on the ‘meta’ idea. The guides on meta battle and the like are rough guides. You can’t run the same build at every encounter and expect it to do well. Difficult content requires you to adapt.

In fact, the generic meta builds are very often not the best build for a specific fight. This fight needs a stun break. Mai Trin? Well if your team isn’t clensing you (as a warrior) you need a condi clense (shake it off decent option), and signet of healing is probably better than blood reckoning because of the emergency resistance it offers. If the group clense is really bad you might even need to run the defense trait line for clensing ire. The true pug meta is whatever gets your group through the boss.

nagr.1593

I mean I’ve done this boss a couple times and honestly with good group he’s easy like u die more often from the tiles under ur feet giving way than from boss continuously zapping u or something. I used to carry a stun break but since we did so well before I figure why not give it a shot who cares abt stun break like when will I ever need that. Also I was only carrying one banner cos yeah I recognize where it’s useful but it was rather for just me, and rest signets to help me dps better. Yeah of course I’m not stuck on meta and believe me when it’s needed I swap out for survivability but this boss is kinda a joke and if wasn’t for his melee launch that u don’t know when he’s gonna use even if it’s once in the whole fight then yeah u wouldn’t need stunbreak otherwise. Like I said sometimes it pays to be bold, other times not so much.

I do know that headbutt is a stun break, but it’s a real problem this fight bc if u use it without thinking like one of the tiles is missing in the direction ur facing, then u will fall headfirst to ur death so it’s gonna be a tough decision. Like in this case I was surrounded on almost all sides by empty tiles, so I don’t wanna be hasty in doing anything. Plus with headbutt ur always looking to use it off cd so ur not really thinking about stun break most of the time. I think mine was on cd too at the time.. but even if it wasn’t it would’ve done more harm than help. I mean I get what ur saying but it’s not exactly the best option for stun break here and when u need it it would usually be on cd anyway. all other heavy classes have access to more boons as well as an additional stun break outside of utility, but war doesn’t have this and even with the elite it’s not reliable most of the time tbh

Arun Kar

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I love the new panels; I’m just not used to them.

I especially like how their color ‘evolves’ as they start to lose cohesion. Best of all, I’m no longer distracted by what happens below the floor, I can see AoE reticules, and I can find allies for that 1:100 chance I can help someone

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

I haven’t been the last alive for the last few times I did this. However I love the new change and I could honestly see them making it harder somehow now. " harder " is subjective and I’m not too sure how this can be achieved though.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

permacripple of course LOL

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions