First dungeon, frustrated and disappointed...

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: PyrophoricX.7540

PyrophoricX.7540

Title pretty much says it, first dungeon .. AC story. Wasn’t expecting ez mode, but the difficultly is absurd for story mode/first timers/first dungeon.

Like the game, love leveling, absolutely hate dungeons so far.

As a warrior tank, I was useless. Damage seemed unmanageable. Mobs had awkward ago, maybe floor plates but it wasnt clear at all. In fact, the whole thing didnt seem to match the same quality I found open world.

(edited by PyrophoricX.7540)

Posted by: Jzl.8715

Jzl.8715

“Warrior Tank”, there is your issue.

[PLUM] – SOR

PyrophoricX.7540

Ok, out of 4 different classes, no one could tank. Specifically, no one could survive more than a few hits.

The nests of spiders were especially horrible. Attacking the nest directly, we had at least 10 spiders at once. The warrior last about 2 seconds, surprisingly dps characters had more utility to actually stay alive but not for much longer.

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

Caldecus Manor is a lot easier. You should start with that.

DONT TANK BOSSES. Most of them usually have a 1 hit down attack. Dodge them. You will learn to recognize them after doing it a couple of times. Don’t give up.

Also no “one could tank” is not true. Its not easy but possible with the right build.

Posted by: Akame.1073

Akame.1073

We arent in .Azeroth any more, Jzl gave you a great hint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-WJP0LR5VU watch this video & try to actually understand the game machanics, then youll laugh at your own post & at the same time improve your game-play.

(edited by Akame.1073)

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

There is a rather significant difference between overworld PvE and dungeon PvE. You just need some getting used to.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

A lot of players have had their butts kicked in AC story, their first dungeon, but then have realized just how much more they can get out of their character. I’m guessing you’ll do the same.

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

For sure, my first trip into a dungeon was humbling and frustrating. I had been destroying things in pve – had solo’d a couple champions and was feeling pretty good about myself.

Then I ended up down and dead several times in my first dungeon. If your group is pretty new to dungeons, I think things will generally be pretty rough. On top of that, if you haven’t worked a fair amount on dodging, staying mobile, and generally staying alive, dungeons will be rough.

On the other hand, when you realize what’s possible with a well-coordinated group, you start to get the depth of this game. I’m only starting to work through all the dungeons, but the difference I see in groups is truly amazing.

Personally, I had to rethink my build for dungeons. Once I did that, I found them to be very fun and satisfying to beat.

Good luck!

Posted by: Titan.3472

Titan.3472

Welcome to the “Dungeon AC revamp for more fun”

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Story wasn’t touched, bandwagoning genius.

@OP: This is not a game where one “tanks”. You’re doing it completely wrong.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

You’re not in ?zeroth anymore, Toto. Adapt.

What the everliving kitten, why is that other gaming world name being replaced?

(edited by Iehova.9518)

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

Title pretty much says it, first dungeon .. AC story. Wasn’t expecting ez mode, but the difficultly is absurd for story mode/first timers/first dungeon.

As a warrior tank, I was useless. Damage seemed unmanageable. Mobs had awkward ago, maybe floor plates but it wasnt clear at all. In fact, the whole thing didnt seem to match the same quality I found open world.

I had the same experience you did, but trust me.. AC Story is a very bad example of the ‘typical’ dungeon experience.

I know I’ll get blasted and made fun of for this, but in my opinion AC Story Mode is the single hardest thing in all of GW2. It’s beyond crazy, over the top and ridiculously stupid to the point of being absolutely no fun. I’m not a ‘pro’ at this game, but I’m pretty good. I run other dungeons all the time and I have never had even close to as much trouble as I had with AC Story. The first time I ran another dungeon after that, I was expecting the worst and found it was 100 times easier then AC.

Don’t let it deter you from trying other dungeons, it’s absolutely awful the way they made AC one of the first dungeons you can do but by far the hardest. CM is a far better choice for early dungeon adventure. I won’t touch AC in any mode under level 80. Other dungeons with exception of Arah are a cake walk compared to AC. Try another dungeon and you’ll see, they’re not hard at all.

Best of luck to you.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

Posted by: Morrar.1764

Morrar.1764

AC is hard until you find out about the boulders. Boulders just cheese all the boss fights in there. Use them to stun lock all the bosses and you’ll breeze through this dungeons. One person should be throwing boulders full time while the rest can deal damage without any risk. Apparently, such ‘creative tactics’ / gimmicks / silly design is considered fun by ANet.

Furthermore, it all has pretty much been said already. Avoid damage, keep moving, get stun and condition removal. Match the amount of toughness + vitality with your skills in avoiding damage.

(edited by Morrar.1764)

PyrophoricX.7540

Well, I guess that is my issue then, coming from the concept of tanking, healing and dps.

I assumed that even though any class can technically play any roll, when it came to dungeons, a player would need to choose a specific build to fill a typical roll. Meaning, you’d still need a tank/healer/dps combo.

From what is said here, it sounds as if dungeons are about finding the mechanic and dps dead. Not sure what the point of a full spec into Vitality/Toughness are good for then. More to the point, I am not sure what the point of melee is, especially in this dungeon. The ultimate build/class is whichever has the best/most utility to keep the enemy at a distance, so any class with a primary focus in range.

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Now that you have had a day to think about it regroup and try again. For the most part I find these dungeons fun but admit I do swear at my screen occasionally when I do not know what I am doing. Try this…

Update all your gear to as close to your current level while focusing on power/vit/toughness. Try other stats later when you are not being destroyed so easily.

If you are the leader of your party watch a video on how to do AC story. By the way AC story has been nerfed with some ghosts now being normal ghosts so kill those ones first. They have no silver circle around their portrait.

Or adverise that you are new and would like an experienced guide to join your party or take you on a run. In this case make sure that you let the guide go first and do as they instruct.

There you go. Use the gear I suggested and go with a group that has an experienced guide with them. Oh you are a warrior…. Use the main heal which also removes conditions, endure pain, stability, shake it off, and battle standard if you have it.

It will all be good and you will have fun. In fact you will find AC story boring soon. I promise.

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

You don’t need to tank/heal/dps… you just need to learn the mechanics and to dodge the attacks that can kill you. You have different sets of weapons, so use it to get into combat or out of combat as needed.

If you have all your skills available and the mobs finished their attacks, just jump in with your greatsword and hundredblade them to dead…. once the mobs are ready to attack, jump off and shoot them some headshots with your rifle from a safer distance, while you take cover. Use some banners for improving the party toughness and there you go.

Dodge is your best friend in a Dungeon!

Eventually, if you and your team spend enough time, you will be able to faceroll any dungeon with full dps builds… but you have to learn how to do it first.

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

Well, I guess that is my issue then, coming from the concept of tanking, healing and dps.

I assumed that even though any class can technically play any roll, when it came to dungeons, a player would need to choose a specific build to fill a typical roll. Meaning, you’d still need a tank/healer/dps combo.

From what is said here, it sounds as if dungeons are about finding the mechanic and dps dead. Not sure what the point of a full spec into Vitality/Toughness are good for then. More to the point, I am not sure what the point of melee is, especially in this dungeon. The ultimate build/class is whichever has the best/most utility to keep the enemy at a distance, so any class with a primary focus in range.

It is easy to get into the mindset of “what is the point of melee” after you’ve run your first dungeon. As you get better you’ll soon realise melee is the more effective and efficient way to clear dungeons (with some obvious exceptions though). The framework of GW2 is that everyone looks out for each other and you must also look after yourself. Having melee members in the group will help speed up kills by clumping enemies together as well as offering boons. A run of simply everyone kiting in every direction actually takes longer since boons are wasted and utilities are used for getting away, not killing the mob.

At level 80 the 2 heavy classes, the warrior by most standards do the most damage(melee) while the guardian can just about keep protection up 100% of the time for people near melee range.

Posted by: Odinsfury.8360

Odinsfury.8360

You can’t tank in this game. The best strategy in dungeons is to run around in circles, dodge at the appropriate moments, execute your best damage rotations, and pray to god that you win.

There’s not so much of this alleged build variety that we hear so much about. You can’t make a tank warrior for dungeons and yes I think that sounds kind of dumb.

PyrophoricX.7540

I misunderstood how the game functions. This is not a game where any class can fill any roll, it’s a game where rolls simply do not matter. Dps, avoid, end.

I don’t know, atm dungeons no longer seem appealing. I still enjoy exploring atm, although I am already 80. I will just stick to that and see how far it takes me.

Thanks for the helpful info!

Btw, just my opinion but at the point of end game, rerolling only seems necessary if you a) want ranged dps over melee … or b) want to see a new set of abilities but still play the exact same roll, dps. Kind of takes away from the replay value, for me anyways.

The same things that make this game a breath of fresh air are the same things that make me wonder, what keeps me playing?

Titan.3472

@Writetyper , well I dont have problem to complete AC at all but it’s completely broken for new players, the difficulty scale for a said level 30dungeon is absurd.
P1 is easy like it was before, p2 is more fun, p3 is just broke in 2sides.
P3 if you run it without EXPLOIT you dies always and its impossible but everyone actually complete it on “safe spots” that make the fight completely a joke so easy it is… So don’t talk about such “skill” dungeon path its like broke if you manage the fight like you should (your team insta_wipe) and broke if you manage the fight in safe spots (the boss insta wipe). It s completely an encounter not working as intended and the genius are more the people farming it with the exploit way… aren’t you? What is funny is that NOONE is running to tell Anet to fix the fact that the p3 is in fact so easy and broke when exploiting that it makes it easier to farm speed run it than cof p1 btw !!!!
I personnaly disliked AC from long ago and even if it’s not revamp but redesign the scale difficulty like I should have said exactly ^^ I won’t waste any more time in dungeon just because I don’t enjoy them, and the pseudo ubber skilled player just using exploit and bragging on forum how uber they are just makes me laugh hard because I know how sadly they manage to make it.
I am a bandwagonner and I like it even if now we have to pay :p.
Finally I will just say that if I run a tank build regen banner pvt gear tank style or switch to healing shouts on soldier set up I do it easy (outside of p3 of course…)so if you go berserker on your side you are the one who has a lot more to learn about game mechanisms :p and lasting long and beating hard fight is more skillfull than being in a group making OP dps in 10sec max with no need to use any other button nor skill than this “I win” power from the mesmer well known as “time warp” !!!

(edited by Titan.3472)

Jzl.8715

@Writetyper , well I dont have problem to complete AC at all but it’s completely broken for new players, the difficulty scale for a said level 30dungeon is absurd.
P1 is easy like it was before, p2 is more fun, p3 is just broke in 2sides.
P3 if you run it without EXPLOIT you dies always and its impossible but everyone actually complete it on “safe spots” that make the fight completely a joke so easy it is… So don’t talk about such “skill” dungeon path its like broke if you manage the fight like you should and broke if you manage the fight in safe spots. It s completely an encounter not working as intended and the genius are more the people farming it with the exploit way… aren’t you?

I’m curious about where this “you cannot complete without exploiting” encounter is?

[PLUM] – SOR

Titan.3472

AC p3 encounter is broken aka Gigantus Lupicus

(edited by Titan.3472)

Posted by: LyzeUH.1398

LyzeUH.1398

AC Story mode is hard…? This is a new one….I still remember completing Story mode back in September when my friends and I were in our lvl 30s…

I honestly can’t recall Story mode being hard but I do remember p3 at the time for sure was hard…we thought it was a great accomplishment when we finally got passed the burrows part after repeatedly failing it.

Posted by: LyzeUH.1398

LyzeUH.1398

What do you mean by Lupi in regards to AC?

Jzl.8715

I was expecting to be impressed, instead you blew my mind.

Well then, if you encountered Giganticus Lupicus in AC3, then you are very right in saying the path is broken.

[PLUM] – SOR

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

I misunderstood how the game functions. This is not a game where any class can fill any roll, it’s a game where rolls simply do not matter. Dps, avoid, end.

I don’t know, atm dungeons no longer seem appealing. I still enjoy exploring atm, although I am already 80. I will just stick to that and see how far it takes me.

Btw, just my opinion but at the point of end game, rerolling only seems necessary if you a) want ranged dps over melee … or b) want to see a new set of abilities but still play the exact same roll, dps. Kind of takes away from the replay value, for me anyways.

The same things that make this game a breath of fresh air are the same things that make me wonder, what keeps me playing?

This is why I’m glad my first character was an elementalist, open-world PVE was already so hard for me that AC story didn’t seem all that different. I was used to dodging like a spaz.

Anywho, the “holy trinity” isn’t there, but that doesn’t mean it’s all dps and dodge either. You can go in as support, as straight up damage, or something in the middle. My mesmer focuses on interrupts and dazing, right now I’m trying out the venom-share thief, and my engineer and elementalist are mostly full-on damage but I still know where their condition clearing and healing abilities are. I think what gets most people is that the roles of being tough, offensive, or support are handled differently. Here, when my elementalist is throwing down combo fields, she’s not only doing damage, but offering support as well by giving other players in the dungeon stuff to interact with. Here support can be throwing out a heal or buffing the whole group. Being specced for things like toughness and vitality means you can help get other, less tough characters out of downed state better, something we need now that we can’t just waypoint back into a fight.

I guess another way of looking at it is saying that group support is the only role in this game: slotting skills that help everyone in the dungeon work together to complete the goal. You probably won’t using the same traits or skills in a dungeon as you would in open world, there’s four other people to think about. I know it’s hard to get out of that mindset if you’ve played other MMOs for a long time (I have too), but you’re not playing a tank, you’re playing a warrior. I don’t play ranged DPS, I play an elementalist.

Stick with it, you’ll get the hang of it. And your next go in AC story won’t be nearly as bad.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Mungtra.6728

Mungtra.6728

You should learn the dungeon mechanics, and don’t just give up because it’s not what you expect. I’m pretty sure most people including myself, when they tried AC story first time, had a hard time. I died quite often. But later on the third or forth run, I know what to do, and avoid to die often. Dodge and condition removal are important in the dungeon. I think any build with proper gears should do fine in story mode as long as you know the mechanics of the dungeon. For me, I normally run Greatsword Ranger with mainly focus on Healing and Toughness/Power. Sure it’s weird build but I enjoy it. It keep my pet survive and do quite certain total damage(pet+me). If you like to focus on Vitality and Toughness Warrior, instead of Tank, you should aim for support role. Banner and Shout are good ones. You should keep in mind that, in the dungeon, everyone always deal damage and receive damage, especially from boss, at the same time. So, you can’t simply cover all of their damage, but you can raise their survivability through your support skill.

Posted by: Kumakichi.2583

Kumakichi.2583

To OP I wouldn’t let it get you down. I ran story mode after doing a lot of explore mode. I thought story would be easy but I was surprised just how difficult it was.

To be honest first time I ran AC I was frustrated too. But that frustration was from not understanding the dungeon and taking a lot of damage. The thing about dungeons in GW2 is after you do them a couple times the dungeons start to become predictable. In fact after you farm one of them for awhile they almost become too easy.

Chalk your first couple runs up to experience and keep going. Dungeons are very fun.

Posted by: Torgal.8345

Torgal.8345

It was the same for me when I started with dungeons. After the indoctrination of certain companies with their trinity and the mechanics of group-play I needed to rethink how I actually play in Guild Wars 2. After some time it eventually worked out and I even must say it’s fun. In the beginning I didn’t really believe it will work but it actually does, at least for me.
Long story short, I am pretty sure you will consider most dungeons quite easy after a while. Start with the consideration of not being a “tank” yourself ;-)

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

you should view first time difficulty as a luxury! failing and wiping without finishing the dungeon isn’t “not fun”.. consider it as a challenge! how to improve your build and how you play! because once you figured out everything, you’ll be on the other side of the coin, and consider “everything” boring/ease mode. more true if you have a group of capable friends/guildies and join the elitist side!!

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

Story wasn’t touched, bandwagoning genius.

@OP: This is not a game where one “tanks”. You’re doing it completely wrong.

Actually, the troll is the exact same on both story and explorable. Skills have changed, which makes it a strange difficulty curve when/if you reach him on story, but challenging if you meet him on Expl.

Posted by: Kumakichi.2583

Kumakichi.2583

Title pretty much says it, first dungeon ..

As a warrior tank, I was useless

One other thought. A warrior can be played tankish style but GW2 isn’t your traditional mmo. Even tanks in GW2 have to back off once in awhile.

But warriors are very welcome in any group due to there dps. And melee dps is better than ranged dps in GW2. Just something to think about.

Posted by: LoomyZA.7041

LoomyZA.7041

My first few dungeons on my very first undergeared character (elementalist) were less than miserable, first you need to loose the mindset of fixed roles, and if u are insistent at tanking, guardians pull it off a lot better. But yeah i wanted to scream, cry and throw my pc out the window, these days, i generally lol my way through most of them, unless ofc u have a horribad group, which tends to happen. But give it some time, get your gear, try to run dungeons with friends or guildies rather than randoms. If youre new, generally pugs will either irritate you, or you will irritate them sadly, not in all cases though.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

The first story is good at teaching how important the dodge mechanic is in this game. When someone winds up for an attack, you need to get out of the way. Dodging is a must learn skill in GW2.

Since folks are there in the dungeon with you, you have some leeway to make mistakes and heal yourself (or someone can assist you to get off the ground). If you wipe, you can learn from what you saw of the patterns to help you next time. The first couple of times in dungeons can be difficult, but you’ll be thankful by the end game that you learned the skills that dungeons teach.

Posted by: Oolune.4357

Oolune.4357

You are understanding better, now. It is fairly disappointing that there are so many available build routes that are almost completely pointless, but it is what it is.

As for replay value, I am about to have my third 80 since launch (I’d probably have all five by now, but I ended up stopping after October due to a busy offline schedule, and I am only recently able to log in again consistently). Each one has been fun. This has more “replay value” than almost any other MMO I’ve played, and certainly more than other popular ones. At first I didn’t think so, having made to human characters. I thought that since I’d chosen different paths in my personal story it would keep it fresh, but that wasn’t completely the case.

When I made my charr and started leveling in zones I had completed at level 80 on my humans but never had to survive in, compounded with a completely fresh personal story to get wrapped up in, it became pretty great. =)

Tarnished Coast
Oolune :: Engineer — Arrow Of Oolune :: Human Ranger -- Shadow Of Oolune :: Human Thief
Box The Turtle :: Human Warrior — Bolobuns Of Steel :: Human Guardian

Posted by: Gryz.8376

Gryz.8376

A lot of players have had their butts kicked in AC story, their first dungeon, but then have realized just how much more they can get out of their character. I’m guessing you’ll do the same.

A lot of players got their butts kicked in AC story. And in other story-mode dungeons. But then they realized that the dungeons were just not fun. And there was no way they would enjoy dungeons in GW2. And then left the game. I’ll guess the OP will do the same.

I played GW2 at launch. With 3 friends. Nice game. Beautiful graphics. Some of the exploring was fun. Then we tried some dungeons. I was appalled how terrible they were. Then 2-3 weeks after launch, these forums opened. Many many many many players were disappointed in the dungeons too. Lots of threads pointing out what the flaws were. Why the whole pve experience in dungeons was wrong.

Then the main pve guy posted on this forum. “Dungeons in GW1 were even harder. Nobody could finish them ! Our design goal in GW2 is that you’ll like the dungeons even less. And that they are impossible to be finished by an even larger part of our customers”.

I hit level-80. And then stopped playing. So did one of my friends. The other 2 didn’t even get to 80. And from what I’ve seen, lots and lots of other pve players left the game too. I guess for many other reasons too. But the fact that the dungeons are so bad must be a significant reason for many people.

I haven’t played since September. Once a month or so, when I am really really bored, I read these forums. Just for laughs. To see how the pve design team actually made a negative contribution to the overall game, and they are still clueless to what they did.

Of course there are people who keep playing. And there will be a constant influx of new players. (The PayOnce model is attractive to a certain group of players). But I don’t see anywhere on the web people discussing how great a game GW2 is. Because it isn’t. Big thanks to the pve design team.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

A lot of players got their butts kicked in AC story. And in other story-mode dungeons. But then they realized that the dungeons were just not fun. And there was no way they would enjoy dungeons in GW2. And then left the game. I’ll guess the OP will do the same.

I played GW2 at launch. With 3 friends. Nice game. Beautiful graphics. Some of the exploring was fun. Then we tried some dungeons. I was appalled how terrible they were. Then 2-3 weeks after launch, these forums opened. Many many many many players were disappointed in the dungeons too. Lots of threads pointing out what the flaws were. Why the whole pve experience in dungeons was wrong.

Then the main pve guy posted on this forum. “Dungeons in GW1 were even harder. Nobody could finish them ! Our design goal in GW2 is that you’ll like the dungeons even less. And that they are impossible to be finished by an even larger part of our customers”.

I hit level-80. And then stopped playing. So did one of my friends. The other 2 didn’t even get to 80. And from what I’ve seen, lots and lots of other pve players left the game too. I guess for many other reasons too. But the fact that the dungeons are so bad must be a significant reason for many people.

I haven’t played since September. Once a month or so, when I am really really bored, I read these forums. Just for laughs. To see how the pve design team actually made a negative contribution to the overall game, and they are still clueless to what they did.

Of course there are people who keep playing. And there will be a constant influx of new players. (The PayOnce model is attractive to a certain group of players). But I don’t see anywhere on the web people discussing how great a game GW2 is. Because it isn’t. Big thanks to the pve design team.

And yet there are a significant number of people who keep playing, and a surprising number of PUGs who, once they learn to focus fire, avoid attacks, and use controls, find themselves sweeping paths with little to no trouble and look back thinking, “Gee, that wasn’t bad at all.” And a significant number of players who enjoy dungeons enough to volunteer for one for the sake of running one, or attempt four-man, trio, duo, or even solo challenges. I personally prefer the system here to being completely dependent upon a healer/tank, standing in the same spot facerolling keys, carried by a gear crutch I do not have time nor desire to grind. To each their own.

I ran AC story yesterday with a ranger and three thieves. The highest one (aside from myself) was 41, the lowest was 27. We cleared the place with no wipes and in an hour, even though we didn’t spam boulders on the Lovers or Adelbern and had the misfortune to pull extra mobs at times. The ranger, who had gone in previously with a bad group and gotten wiped, said that it wasn’t that bad at all now.

It does suck that they hike the difficulty up so suddenly, but dungeons really aren’t bad at all if you know what to do, pay attention, and use the game’s mechanics to your advantage. Having people throw cripples/immobilize/freeze on Napa while kiting him around is much less painful than trying to facetank his attacks, praying that the elementalist/guardian will outheal it (spoiler: they can’t). On Adelbern, standing in fire pools will get you killed no matter what… but they take so long to activate that as long as you pay attention to the ground and walk out of red circles when they appear, you’ll never get touched. See a warrior raising his sword in the air? That means he’s about to heal- use an interrupt on him and finish him off. See a bunch of ranged mobs? Slot Feedback as a mesmer, reflections/blocks as a guardian, or focus as an ele.

The main issue with dungeons right now is that silver mobs are often harder than the bosses, while giving few rewards- even then, that’s starting to be remedied with the sharp cut to silver HP. Still a ways to go, and there’s quite a few flaws remaining, but overall it’s all about knowing how to run them, coordinating with the group, and using the game’s mechanics to your advantage.

Also, OP: I’m willing to take you through AC story and explain everything, if you’ll give it another shot. I’ll try to get my guild in, so you can see how things work when people are coordinated. You can add/PM me with my account name. I should be free late tonight, probably past 8 central. The same offer is extended to anyone who feels discouraged or anxious. No class requirement, and you can be on-level- just have a good attitude and be willing to learn.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Irbi.5943

Irbi.5943

My friends and I have had a similar experience. Sadly – we have all quit GW2.

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Can I have your stuff? Please? I need the dosh.

Posted by: Alex.3156

Alex.3156

see this dude solo the queen.

(edited by Alex.3156)

Posted by: Romer.1034

Romer.1034

Basically yeah. Find out the mechanic through trial and failure (or ‘cheat’ by using the internet). Once you’ve got that it’s just a case of using dodge where it needs to be done and DPSing stuff down.

As a beginner warrior you probably want some vit and toughness whilst you learn the mechanics and stuff, but power, prec and crit will probably prove more useful.

Melee is actually much better once you get the mechanics. You cleave groups of mobs down so much quicker than a bunch of ranged characters with minimal aoe. The cookie cutter dungeon group is 3 warriors, 1 guardian and 1 mesmer for example.

You’ll soon get the hang of dungeons. Then you’ll do the final story mode dungeon, Arah. A dungeon that is now so easy the NPCs can actually do parts of it without the players lifting a finger….

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

ac is NOT pug/newbies friendly. You should wait for 80 and try arah

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Posted by: Viking.3158

Viking.3158

you cannot tank as warrior…even guardian cannot tank. ^^see the engineer video…he is dodging the big hits. any class you play needs to do the same. DODGE out of big damaging hits.

Posted by: Kozai.8269

Kozai.8269

The devs of this game have a lot of data on it, but I suspect this ratio would be a very hard one to figure out. My only contribution, I joined with 6 friends from another MMO we had played together, a total of seven of us.

I and one other friend are trying to improve our play enough to get through dungeons reliably, and eventually lead through them. Months in, neither of us is good enough to do that. Two other friends don’t enjoy dungeons because they are so hard, but will do them with us because we are friends, they are slowly improving their play just from putting in hours, but will never do dungeons enough to learn any mechanics by heart. They much prefer open world PvE, which is more their level of difficulty. Finally, three of them have quit because dungeons are so hard it discouraged them on the whole game. Me and the other “hard mode” guy hope to learn enough dungeon mechanics and get the two “easy mode” friends good enough to some day convince the remaining three to come back and carry them through a dungeon or two, one at a time.

We do wish that Story Mode, which gives relatively low rewards for its time (especially compared to something like the Maw event zerg) was easier, to make a better intro to Explorable Mode dungeons. Right now dungeons are more of a difficulty cliff than a difficulty curve. . .

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

People expecting a mostly static dungeon experience such as can be found in most other MMO’s are setting themselves up for disappointment. GW2 replaced character roles with dodge rolls. Positioning, movement and dodge are important. It’s also important to note that ANet wanted a game where people watch what is on the screen, not their UI. This is even more important in difficult content. If you are not watching to see what is killing you, you will not learn to avoid it.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I had the same experience you did, but trust me.. AC Story is a very bad example of the ‘typical’ dungeon experience.

I know I’ll get blasted and made fun of for this, but in my opinion AC Story Mode is the single hardest thing in all of GW2. It’s beyond crazy, over the top and ridiculously stupid to the point of being absolutely no fun. I’m not a ‘pro’ at this game, but I’m pretty good. I run other dungeons all the time and I have never had even close to as much trouble as I had with AC Story. The first time I ran another dungeon after that, I was expecting the worst and found it was 100 times easier then AC.

Don’t let it deter you from trying other dungeons, it’s absolutely awful the way they made AC one of the first dungeons you can do but by far the hardest. CM is a far better choice for early dungeon adventure. I won’t touch AC in any mode under level 80. Other dungeons with exception of Arah are a cake walk compared to AC. Try another dungeon and you’ll see, they’re not hard at all.

Best of luck to you.

TBH, I find TA ex mode to be way more tedious than many of the other dungeons.
It’s like all your team need to know everything or you’ll get crushed.
People find them to be easier now since most of them had done it so many times already, but random PUGs still have alot of trouble doing TA ex well, especially many of them do NOT know how to run pass mobs and just keep on dying.

Truth be told, I was one of those who did all the SM with friends in low level since launch. We were all about lv35~ when we do the AC SM.
We find out the difficulty of it and die alot, but we find it more enjoyable cause that was when the game offers some real challenge at first.
We manage to finished it at last, with great satisfaction and glory of completing it.

We did the same with CM, TA, SE… We did ALL of them actually according to their recommanded level.
We cleared them all, and yes, honestly the hardest one we face is actually AC and TA.
But that may also be because that we lack experience at that time, and we don’t have access to many talent points at that time.

Now we feel like other than certain ex dungeons such as Arah and FotM, most of the dungeon contents are just facerolly easy.
Trust me, practice makes perfect, you’ll eventually feel the same way.
In fact many people complain other than FotM, GW2 is way too easy and forgiving in all of the contents of PVE.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Posted by: shonn.5037

shonn.5037

fyi this game is made for range attacks … if you do melee you will die most all the time even with a sheild .. the game designers dont know how to put enough DEF on the sheild to make them usable ..

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

fyi this game is made for range attacks … if you do melee you will die most all the time even with a sheild .. the game designers dont know how to put enough DEF on the sheild to make them usable ..

That’s a great joke, do you have any other funny ones?

Tell me the joke about how you accidentally ripped off your evade key (Apparently you don’t have one), that has to be a tale to tell.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: shonn.5037

shonn.5037

Writetyper.1985 go tank Jormag the dragon and tell me how well you dodge out of his attack when your at his feet !