Forced Updates and Fractals

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Since apparently discussing the irritating occasion of not being let into a fractal after you switch due to a new build merits infraction for “complaining”, I’ll reframe the discussion:

Make fractal progress account wide so people don’t spend an hour and a half doing a lv38 fractal, of which you find few groups during the day, only to not receive the end rewards because new builds are pushed in by the time you need to switch your main in for the personal reward (the “alt” in question has 30 AR due to ascended pendant vs main’s 25 AR, but is lv21).

It’s not good when people get their rewards denied to them because the game is having “log in server error” due to new build instancing.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Not an issue if you are not trying to switch characters and receive rewards on a character that did not participate in the dungeon.

Your rewards were ‘denied’ because you are trying to manipulate the system for your benefit.

Zenith.7301

Not an issue if you are not trying to switch characters and receive rewards on a character that did not participate in the dungeon.

Your rewards were ‘denied’ because you are trying to manipulate the system for your benefit.

…… I, the PLAYER, participated in the dungeon. I, the PLAYER, qualified for the reward on the main and got the second toon enough Agony Resistance to play; I, the kitten PLAYER, completed the fractal. Manipulate the system for my own benefit? You mean, playing on whatever toon I felt like playing instead of the mesmer I didn’t feel like playing on?

Get real. I would have finished that 38 on that mesmer. I would have finished 48 as well. I have already done it before. I don’t need you lecturing me about manipulating systems — what a horrible argument. I can switch during an explorable to an alt and get the reward on him at the end, and not once have I been laughably accused of manipulating the system for my own benefits.

It’s called playing the alts designers had told us we would be welcome to use.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Since apparently discussing the irritating occasion of not being let into a fractal after you switch due to a new build merits infraction for “complaining”, I’ll reframe the discussion:

Make fractal progress account wide so people don’t spend an hour and a half doing a lv38 fractal, of which you find few groups during the day, only to not receive the end rewards because new builds are pushed in by the time you need to switch your main in for the personal reward (the “alt” in question has 30 AR due to ascended pendant vs main’s 25 AR, but is lv21).

It’s not good when people get their rewards denied to them because the game is having “log in server error” due to new build instancing.

That type of things happens. You should’ve seen the new build warning and not tried to switch and just simply accepted the reward on your current character.

They are not going to reschedule their whole maintenance/build schedule around your preferences. And you should probably stop before you get infracted again or banned if your post was infracted before.

Zenith.7301

That type of things happens. You should’ve seen the new build warning and not tried to switch and just simply accepted the reward on your current character.

They are not going to reschedule their whole maintenance/build schedule around your preferences. And you should probably stop before you get infracted again or banned if your post was infracted before.

Which is why this post is discussing the possibility of making account wide character progress.

You can also make the argument that they don’t owe you anything — no finished personal story, no character customization, no levels beyond 20. It would all be true — they don’t owe you anything. Doesn’t mean it’s good policy, just like restricting fractal progress to characters or not letting you join fractals after a new build is bad policy in my opinion, and last I checked I have the freedom to discuss bad policy that lessens my enjoyment of dungeons.

God forbid people submit feedback on features they don’t like.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

I really wish it was account wide. I have a necro that got up to lvl 34 fractals, which I have stopped playing for a while now and there is no way I will get back up there with any of my alts, even level 10 seems so far away repeating the same fractals everyday just to try to get rings for my alts.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

Which is why this post is discussing the possibility of making account wide character progress.

You can also make the argument that they don’t owe you anything — no finished personal story, no character customization, no levels beyond 20. It would all be true — they don’t owe you anything. Doesn’t mean it’s good policy, just like restricting fractal progress to characters or not letting you join fractals after a new build is bad policy in my opinion, and last I checked I have the freedom to discuss bad policy that lessens my enjoyment of dungeons.

Tell me a massive mmo game that has less maintenance / downtime patches than gw2.

Tell me a massive mmo game that doesn’t kick you out of dungeon during maintenance patch time w/ a 3 hour warning.

The game’s “downtime / patch” system is leaps beyond what most mmo’s have right now and yet you still want to complain about a “3hr warning” you get inside a dungeon.

God forbid people use that thing between their ears before they speak.

DeathPanel.8362

I made no such argument. That’s a ridiculous strawman.

All I said was they aren’t going to schedule their maintenance around your preferences. The world doesn’t revolve around you.

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

No. You the PLAYER played on a specific CHARACTER. (see how annoying that is). No other game anywhere lets you loot after killing with a different character. You want the loot with one character, run the instance with him.

Zenith.7301

All I said was they aren’t going to schedule their maintenance around your preferences. The world doesn’t revolve around you.

Don’t be coy. Your suggestion with the “they aren’t going to schedule their maintainance around you” is that accommodating me as a player with features that make builds not screw me over is silly is as good retort.

I would love if you did a DE, got a precursor drop and a build did a rollback, that suddenly you would be fine and dandy with being denied your reward because they don’t schedule their maintainance around your convenience. Maintainance should not have as a feature screweing over people of their rewards, especially when they don’t make the effort to announce the set time for maintainance so people know in advance at what times not to run a fractal.

No. You the PLAYER played on a specific CHARACTER. (see how annoying that is). No other game anywhere lets you loot after killing with a different character. You want the loot with one character, run the instance with him.

This is idiotic. The Jade Maw wasn’t killed. I switched before the Jade Maw. If I switch on a explorable before the last boss is killed, I CAN loot him. If I play WoW, I CAN loot a boss if I switch to an alt. I have done this already in fractals, repeatedly.

Try to be better informed as to the actual mechanics in games before you go white knighting.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Ioflux.4369

Don’t be coy. Your suggestion with the “they aren’t going to schedule their maintainance around you” is that accommodating me as a player with features that make builds not screw me over is silly is as good retort.

I would love if you did a DE, got a precursor drop and a build did a rollback, that suddenly you would be fine and dandy with being denied your reward because they don’t schedule their maintainance around your convenience. Maintainance should not have as a feature screweing over people of their rewards, especially when they don’t make the effort to announce the set time for maintainance so people know in advance at what times not to run a fractal.

This is idiotic. The Jade Maw wasn’t killed. I switched before the Jade Maw. If I switch on a explorable before the last boss is killed, I CAN loot him. If I play WoW, I CAN loot a boss if I switch to an alt. I have done this already in fractals, repeatedly.

Try to be better informed as to the actual mechanics in games before you go white knighting.

You can switch, just not when there’s a patch. There’s a f’n warning telling you that there is a new build. If you haven’t learned your lesson in explorer dungeons, then you just sound like the kid that wants to yell at everyone who doesnt agree with your demands.

Inside dungeon : New build is ready in 3 hours.
Outside dungeon: New build is ready in 3 minutes.

If you choose to log out your character after getting those announcements, you do so at your own risk. Quit kittenin about your own mistake instead of asking to get catered.

Zenith.7301

You can switch, just not when there’s a patch. There’s a f’n warning telling you that there is a new build. If you haven’t learned your lesson in explorer dungeons, then you just sound like the kid that wants to yell at everyone who doesnt agree with your demands.

Inside dungeon : New build is ready in 3 hours.
Outside dungeon: New build is ready in 3 minutes.

If you choose to log out your character after getting those announcements, you do so at your own risk. Quit kittenin about your own mistake instead of asking to get catered.

You do realize it doesn’t matter? A 21 alt reward is nothing I want, the same as not getting it. Not sure about what inane point you were trying to make with that since I was screwed the moment they announced the build, which they have no warning about.

I was not getting the 38 reward regardless of whether I logged out or stayed in. Try to let that sit in, because unless I’m clairvoyant I’ll have to do every 38 fractal on my alt under the fear of a maintainance build suddenly turning up and denying me my 38 reward.

Mad Rasputin.7809

Um, as coy as you are trying to be, this post is not about discussing the possibility of account wide rewards/character progress.

That discussion would not involve talk about server updates.

Mad Rasputin.7809

Oh, and if your ALT is only Fractal level 21, then your reward would have been tiered down to level 21 regardless of whether or not you were doing a level 38 fractal. That is kind of pointless, tbh.

Zenith.7301

Oh, and if your ALT is only Fractal level 21, then your reward would have been tiered down to level 21 regardless of whether or not you were doing a level 38 fractal. That is kind of pointless, tbh.

…….

You do fractal on alt.

You switch to main with the proper higher personal reward during Jade Maw. You get the updated personal reward. You can check that by the amount of total fractal relics given to you by the daily chest — they vary by difficulty level.

Please stop posting until you care to inform yourself on how things actually work.

This thread discusses account wide progress because if it were in, I would receive my reward, with the added benefit of getting to use any of my lv80’s like I can in explorables. You know, in this supposedly alt friendly game.

Mad Rasputin.7809

I know how things work.

Evidentally, you do also. That is why you are switching your character out to manipulate the system to get better rewards than you are entitled to.

Kudos to you. You have found a loophole in the system and are an exploiter. Don’t come here and complain if you miss out on your ‘well deserved’ rewards.

I’ll leave my sympathy for the people that are actually missing out on their hard earned rewards.

Ioflux.4369

Your thread is a complaint on the fact that a “new build” or maintenance or whatever you want to call it has screwed over your swapping to an alt. There is a huge yellow text that goes across the center of your screen whenever these things occur. Whether you are blind or ignorant to notice it is beyond help. If you really wanted to make a suggestion about having account wide progression / rewards, don’t use the premise that you got booted off for swapping alts due to a server maintenance. The suggestion isnt stupid, the reason for making the suggestion is.

Zenith.7301

I know how things work.

Evidentally, you do also. That is why you are switching your character out to manipulate the system to get better rewards than you are entitled to.

Kudos to you. You have found a loophole in the system and are an exploiter. Don’t come here and complain if you miss out on your ‘well deserved’ rewards.

I’ll leave my sympathy for the people that are actually missing out on their hard earned rewards.

LOL, exploiting? It’s been in for a while, people have been doing it with no pronouncement of exploits or threats of banning, and that same reward scheme has existed in explorables since the beginning of the game.

I think I’m done with you.

Your thread is a complaint on the fact that a “new build” or maintenance or whatever you want to call it has screwed over your swapping to an alt. There is a huge yellow text that goes across the center of your screen whenever these things occur. Whether you are blind or ignorant to notice it is beyond help. If you really wanted to make a suggestion about having account wide progression / rewards, don’t use the premise that you got booted off for swapping alts due to a server maintenance. The suggestion isnt stupid, the reason for making the suggestion is.

…..

Why is it so hard for people to read? IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHETHER I SWAPPED OR NOT. I hope that makes it clear — you lose the reward whether you swapped or not.

This instance is EXACTLY why account wide progress should be advocated for. It’s an example of the ways not having account wide progress in the game can screw you over. Because if account wide progress had been in, I would have gotten my reward. Full stop right there. If you’re just going to keep talking past people instead of to people, because you simply want to call someone on the forum a whiner, you can just stop replying instead. Calling me a whiner is not going to stop me from making these threads — I have thicker skin than that, thank you very much.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

I’m pretty sure it’s a technical limitation. Once you update to a new build you’re segregated from the old one. The new and old build run simultaneously for a while until everyone currently online updates.

At least, that’s how I understand it.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Zenith.7301

I’m pretty sure it’s a technical limitation. Once you update to a new build you’re segregated from the old one. The new and old build run simultaneously for a while until everyone currently online updates.

At least, that’s how I understand it.

Yeah, I suspect as much, which is why I think the account wide progress is a better solution than making it so you can go back in after builds (though that doesn’t help if you d/c after the build is announced).

At least they should announce the build before implementing said build to the client to give people a chance to prepare for it.

DeathPanel.8362

Pointing out your ridiculous strawman argument is not being “coy”.

Pointing out that a mmo company not scheduling their maintenance window around the whims of a disgruntled player like you is NOT the same as saying you aren’t entitled to them providing any content or customization.

(edited by DeathPanel.8362)

Posted by: Silentstorm.7531

Silentstorm.7531

Like the people said you can’t expect a company to cater to just you. And they announce builds 95% of the time. Have maintenance less often then any other company in mmo history. You might as well walk away from this one its a battle you won’t win lol.

As far as account sharing that wouldn’t even of matter in the case of a new build. Once the build started and you reset everything you was doing live is finished. Because from a programming aspect your on a node. And that node got removed for a new one. Which is why every game in history tells you do nothing and go somewhere safe when a incoming patch happens.

Zenith.7301

Like the people said you can’t expect a company to cater to just you. And they announce builds 95% of the time. Have maintenance less often then any other company in mmo history. You might as well walk away from this one its a battle you won’t win lol.

As far as account sharing that wouldn’t even of matter in the case of a new build. Once the build started and you reset everything you was doing live is finished. Because from a programming aspect your on a node. And that node got removed for a new one. Which is why every game in history tells you do nothing and go somewhere safe when a incoming patch happens.

No, when you are inside a dungeon instance the game gives you 3 hours instead to finish that instance. You are not forced to update until then.

If progress is accountwide I could have just stayed on my alt and gotten rewarded for my main’s personal reward level.

DeathPanel.8362

You do realize it doesn’t matter? A 21 alt reward is nothing I want, the same as not getting it. Not sure about what inane point you were trying to make with that since I was screwed the moment they announced the build, which they have no warning about.

His point was in fact there were warnings.

In fact maintenance windows are posted in the front page of this website in a huge red banner.

Seeing as how you have the time to come to the forums to bloviate about your first world gamer problems you should’ve had the time and attention span to see when they were scheduled and adjusted accordingly.

If your only complaint was that the fractals level should be account wide I would agree with you.

But your main complaint was essentially that they didn’t schedule their maintenance window around your whims, which is entirely without merit.

Posted by: Khalen Arcana.4320

Khalen Arcana.4320

Account wide progress means account wide rewards. No thanks. If you want to switch out characters fine but this is the risk you take.

Posted by: shadowdust.2018

shadowdust.2018

Chill out, everyone.

There will be so many implications and this may create a great impact if the fractal progress will be changed to an account-wide progress.

How would you feel if you exerted too much effort in getting your characters to high-level FOTM and suddenly there was a change to make the progress account-wide?

How would you feel if you are stripped of more chances for fractal rewards just because you can only do a few dailies (tier-based dailies), instead of multiple dailies (separate dailies for each toon you have)?

I believe we should look into the Pros and Cons, and not just on the advantages.

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Since this thread is not inviting to constructive and healthy discussion, it is now closed.

Please try to avoid inflammatory comments in the future, and respect each other opinions.

Thank you!