Frac 50 Post Patch Mai Trin Warrior Solo

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Sesshi.2610

Sesshi.2610

I seen a lot of ppl complaining about how hard it is now so heres a solo of it

It’s a nice challenge i guess but not that hard imo especially if you always have a block/reflect available

Posted by: CytoSlide.1693

CytoSlide.1693

Nicely done! That was a lot of fun to watch – Mai Trin is a fun fight.

With that in mind, a few of my thoughts:

Your casual “It’s a nice challenge i guess but not that hard imo” is in stark contrast to your “celebration” upon completing the solo. Based on that video, I think we all know how difficult that was and how happy you felt at having conquered some incredibly difficult content. I think it is unfair and misleading to come here and imply that the fight is “not hard” when there is direct evidence at the end of your video that you were extremely excited at having completed the solo.

You extensively used consumables. This is NOT a knock against you – any soloer should and will likely use consumables, and most if not all high level PvE players use consumables in “difficult” content. I just wanted to point it out because many Fractal PUGs don’t even use nourishment/potions (although once you hit the higher level fractals the majority do).

The fight took you 16+ minutes. One or two misclicks during that time (lets say someone knocks on your door…you try to take a sip of a beverage…) and you have to restart. Even if it was “easy to solo”, the sheer amount of time this last fractal takes to solo (16-50 minutes is a good estimate) makes it silly to contemplate having to solo it every time someone wants to PUG a 50. Mai doesn’t always crop up, but it is always a possibility.

You are a warrior. Once again, this is not in any way a knock. It is just important to note that any and all damage you took from the passive Agony or getting hit from AoEs was very easily mitigated by the passive heal on your signet. No other class can touch this kind of passive healing while having such high survivability and damage output.

What this video shows is that experienced players (such as yourself) can conquer the buffed Mai Trin if they know the animations and fight mechanics (and have 100% no interruptions for 16+ minutes). A party of 5 people who can all almost solo Mai could easily defeat her as everyone will know what they are doing.

However, most PUGs have players with nowhere near this kind of experience or mechanics, and therefore the responsibility to be able to solo the content if you want to be able to do a PUG 49 or 50 becomes an unreasonable expectation, especially in light of the reward. I wish your video showed your reward for your 16 minutes of concentration and effort >.<. Hopefully you got a nice skin/chest ^.^.

Sesshi.2610

well ye ofc i was excited and i kinda over exaggerated i guess ^^
looking back at it and now i could do it everytime thats why i said its ‘not too hard imo’
and no i got a useless ring from the chest ;.;

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

What CytoSlide said.

I’d like to see this done with any other class.

Posted by: No Pulse.2967

No Pulse.2967

Gj on the solo! Also nice music (that’s exactly my music taste, lol). I think I should also try a lvl 50 solo Only did the last 25% once after my pug wiped at the cannon phase.

Inactive member in Dark Renegatus [REN]
The Order of Calamity [OOC] is recruiting!
5/8 Champion titles

(edited by No Pulse.2967)

Posted by: CytoSlide.1693

CytoSlide.1693

I’m sure other classes can do it – but the real question is how consistently can it be done on the first try >.<.
I’m sure mesmers can do it – more blocks and long range dps via phantasms/scepter – but the ticks from Agony and/or getting hit once will result in being downed/pancaked, whereas a heavy with strong passive heals is more forgiving of mistakes like getting clipped by a (now supercharged) AoE.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Darnit. I wanted to do this too but I don’t have people willing to help me roll a Mai trin to try it

Posted by: Veckna.9621

Veckna.9621

Where are all the casuals burning ArenaNet t-shirts by now?

Mai Trin it’s always been one of those bosses that I’ve felt is much easier to solo than to do as a group mainly because of the cannon phase.
Good job on the kill.

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

wow, nice work…….!

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

Very impressive one thing I don’t understand though… is how did you put on those songs and not get slapped with a copyright infringement?

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

Darnit. I wanted to do this too but I don’t have people willing to help me roll a Mai trin to try it

Haha well this solo was done quite early into the patch so you would’ve been late anyways. Plus I haven’t heard you ask

Gj and all sesshi, though I will not approve of seeing any of my dear students lying dead on the ground!

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

Posted by: Bohantopa.5729

Bohantopa.5729

Very nicely done. Not sure if other classes will have it as “easy” though, warrior probably got the best access to blocks on short cooldowns. A quick glance over the skills list only show guardians and mesmers who could have enough.

Some aspects actually make this fight easier solo than in a group:
1. It is sure who is being targeted by her shot and you wont get killed by a shot hitting someone next to you.
2. It is easier to get her to move into the lightning field because she does not switch agro 2 steps away from it.
3. Less effects on her make it easier to spot her skills.

Still great work, not sure if could do it myself.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Its not about pug.
Its about having control of aggro (solo) or not (pug).

Also warrior dealing lot of dps any build you use.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Purple Miku.7032

I’m not sure why so many people are under the impression that warrior is the best for this boss solo. If I had more AR on my ele I’d be DYING to try this with D/F on level 50. ALL DEM PROJECTILE BLOCKS <3

Not to mention that hella nice cleave range with air auto.

Pretty much the only part that I’m sure would p*ss me off would be the cannon phase, seeing as you have to move like a freaking cheetah when solo to outrun those AoEs.

Posted by: Bohantopa.5729

Bohantopa.5729

Purple Miku actually the warrior got better access:
Warrior blocks using mace+shield / axe+ sword (mace+sword would be safer, because one would have to swap sets less often, but axe allows more damage)
Mace 2 – 10s cd
shield 5 – 30s cd
sword 5 – 15s cd

these 3 skills allow a total of 6 blocks in 30s

ele blocks/reflects/invu using d/f
Air 4 – 30s cd
earth 4 – 25s cd
earth 5 – 50s cd

so about 2,8 “blocks” in 30s
adding in utilities:
arcane shield – 75s cd (0,4 in 30)
mist form – 75s cd (0,4 in 30)
earth shield (60s cd but two spawned)
skill 2 – 8s cd (3,75 in 30)
skill 5 – 30s cd (1 in 30)

so only with earth shield you would have an appropiate number of “blocks” and this will mean you will have to use 2 skills (summoning and blocking skill) in short succession and will always have to run close to the second shield to pick it up fast.

If we had the cd of mai trins shot it could be said more precisely how many skills are needed (if it is > 8s one could just keep hitting her with the shield using the invulnerability to block other damage sources).

(no cd reduction traits were considered)

(edited by Bohantopa.5729)

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

I’m not sure why so many people are under the impression that warrior is the best for this boss solo. If I had more AR on my ele I’d be DYING to try this with D/F on level 50. ALL DEM PROJECTILE BLOCKS <3

Pretty much the only part that I’m sure would p*ss me off would be the cannon phase, seeing as you have to move like a freaking cheetah when solo to outrun those AoEs.

Good luck with that (seriously). Warrior’s blocks are on WAAAY lower cool downs than any thing an ele has. Magnetic Wave has a 25s cd, and because it’s a reflect it will teleport you directly onto the boss where she will kill you with melee if you don’t use a precious dodge. Swirling Winds has a 30s cooldown.

Warrior mace/sword blocks have a 10s and 15s cooldown respectively. Warrior Also has around 8k more health, more toughness, and healing signet so they can actually take some hits. Your ele will get 1 or 2 hit by any attack Mai has.

Could this be done on an ele? Possibly, but Warrior is obviously better for this fight.

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Purple Miku actually the warrior got better access:
Warrior blocks using mace+shield / axe+ sword (mace+sword would be safer, because one would have to swap sets less often, but axe allows more damage)
Mace 2 – 10s cd
shield 5 – 30s cd
sword 5 – 15s cd

these 3 skills allow a total of 6 blocks in 30s

ele blocks/reflects/invu using d/f
Air 4 – 30s cd
earth 4 – 25s cd
earth 5 – 50s cd

so about 2,8 “blocks” in 30s
adding in utilities:
arcane shield – 75s cd (0,4 in 30)
mist form – 75s cd (0,4 in 30)
earth shield (60s cd but two spawned)
skill 2 – 8s cd (3,75 in 30)
skill 5 – 30s cd (1 in 30)

so only with earth shield you would have an appropiate number of “blocks” and this will mean you will have to use 2 skills (summoning and blocking skill) in short succession and will always have to run close to the second shield to pick it up fast.

If we had the cd of mai trins shot it could be said more precisely how many skills are needed (if it is > 8s one could just keep hitting her with the shield using the invulnerability to block other damage sources).

(no cd reduction traits were considered)

You are forgetting the most important projectile block that eles have. Dagger earth #2 is a projectile block on a 6 sec CD. It is not mentioned anywhere in the tooltip and it’s not commonly known by most eles.

(edited by Taku.6352)

Purple Miku.7032

Neither of you guys even bothered to mention ring of earth (EDIT: Not you, Taku.6352. You posted while I was typing my post :P sorry). That’s possibly the biggest reason why I’m so excited to try it on ele.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ring_of_Earth

“Notes
Ring of Earth also absorbs projectiles for 2 seconds.”

I’m not saying that it’s easier to do it on an ele, I’m saying it’s better. If you screw up on an ele for this, you will die. On a warrior you’ll survive provided you’re not low health but will pretty much have to run around with your tail between your legs and pray you don’t fumble around and misclick while you passively heal back up.

I quote Particlar, the first one to solo Mai at 50 on an ele, “it’s all about endurance.” You can do this encounter on almost any class (as long as it has access to blocks/invulns) and it’s not a DPS race but rather a test to see how long you’re able to last before you screw up.

It just so happens that an ele has access to all of these wonderful options without totally narfing their DPS (mace mainhand and shield on warrior are strictly defensive weapons and are quite awful for damage output). I’m quite certain that if played properly, an ele would be capable of killing this boss faster than a warrior. This is not the kind of boss that you can play offensively in an efficient manner.

By the way if it’s necessary, you have the option of traiting 4 into earth for reduced earth skill cooldowns for even faster access to projectile blocks + obsidian flesh.

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Indeed, it’s more about the barrage phase which destroys ele much faster than warrior, especially now. Almost 8k base hp more often means the difference between failure and success

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

It just so happens that an ele has access to all of these wonderful options without totally narfing their DPS (mace mainhand and shield on warrior are strictly defensive weapons and are quite awful for damage output). I’m quite certain that if played properly, an ele would be capable of killing this boss faster than a warrior. This is not the kind of boss that you can play offensively in an efficient manner.

By the way if it’s necessary, you have the option of traiting 4 into earth for reduced earth skill cooldowns for even faster access to projectile blocks + obsidian flesh.

Bolded for emphasis, those two sentences are exclusive. For good damage you need fresh air (dagger has ring of earth) and most likely persisting flames to get fury (2s on swap is not enough). Stone splinters are okay but you still put 4 trait points into offensively useless stats while losing somewhat mandatory traits for solo.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I swap Air Training out for Zephyr’s Boon to deal with the canon phase. A normal might stacking rotation plus auto-attacking is fairly enough to burst her down after her buff is off. If the last canon phase gets sticky, FGS can be of great use.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Bart Weird.9671

Bart Weird.9671

Gj bro! Nice kiting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sudhKI2v_sM
[Grawl Shaman Duo Scale 80]

Sesshi.2610

Thanks ^^

Posted by: Snowball.3497

Snowball.3497

Why am I always joining too late on ele fractal discussions

First off, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuwaTr6E4Os

Albiet this video is an elementalist solo done before the recent patch it shows the tactic on how to approach Mai.

As for build, would I go again I would go for 66002. The video shows terrible use of blasts, keeping a 9-15 stacks of might with permanent fury isn’t that difficult, we just have to have in mind not to misuse any skill that we would need later (panic button magnetic wave if the reaction with ring of earth is too slow).

As for barrage phase, I think an ele has a good set of defensive skills to use. With attunements and sigil of energy you have 3 dodges and an invulnerable to your disposal. Might be luck on my part, but I find myself going down by not seeing electric swirls more often than the cannon phase.

I would love to go and solo her again. I reckon with a bit more offensive tactic and over all better play the total time shouldn’t be that much higher even after the patch.

Do it. Stop talking about it all the time, just do it.

Edit: Also, big grats to you Sesshi. Well done!

Particlar – Desolation – [Hs]
World First Wurm KillRaid Sells on Twitch
Origin of Diboof

(edited by Snowball.3497)

Purple Miku.7032

You’re right haviz, the second bolded statement was only for those that feel it’s necessary for them to go all-out defensive. I avoid going lower than 6 in fire/air at all times on D/F if necessary because it makes a massive difference.

An example of when I do go lower in fire is Lyssa in Arah P4. I’m at 2/6/6/0/0 for it because of the 25 stacks of confusion. It’s literally a 1-shot if you don’t have Diamond Skin because basically every weapon an ele has that would be realistic to use here is just about impossible to stop in time to avoid the confusion damage. Besides this boss, I am pretty much always 6/6/2 or 6/6/0/0/2 like Particlar said.

Particlar I need moar munniez to make an ascended set on ele :<

Eternity + a second ascended set for my warrior wasn’t cheap y’know@

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

Great job, and very cleanly done. You max melee very well. As for the question about why warrior is easier to solo on this boss, it is because you have the base HP and armor to make the mistakes that most other classes cannot.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Aside the good job i think this proves that the lack of aggro management is a total failure with this sort of mechanics.

If soloing is way easier than pugging, it just means something.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: SoliSnake.9457

SoliSnake.9457

good job as ever

Solisnake(Elementalist)Lighting Rajin (Guardian)
YamataNoOrochi(Warrior)Ziggy Th White Duke(Mesmer)Aleandro De La Vega(Ranger)

Purple Miku.7032

Coming from someone that also managed to solo Mai after the buff update… Sesshi did an incredible job by the way. This video was about 5 minutes faster than my solo was. I didn’t do nearly as good of a job at max meleeing her— I keep having some weird issue where I suddenly move in slow motion right after activating SoR or planting a banner or whatever… no idea why, but it happens until I spam different movement keys.

Sesshi.2610

Thanks ^^
And yeah I have that bug sometimes too :/

Posted by: Tei.1704

Tei.1704

Soloing Mai Trin isn’t significantly harder after the update. The way you solo any boss is to not get hit by most of its attacks. The attacks didn’t get faster or more frequent; they just deal more damage. It’s not like people literally tanked Mai Trin alone before.

I’m just saying that soloing this boss now doesn’t really make more of a statement than soloing it a week ago. Just because something got harder for groups to do doesn’t mean it got much harder to solo.

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

I seen a lot of ppl complaining about how hard it is now so heres a solo of it

It’s a nice challenge i guess but not that hard imo especially if you always have a block/reflect available

Of course a warrior, what else… you realise that not everyone puts so much time to nail this fractal.

Sesshi.2610

It actually got harder for solo, my pre patch solo was 9:10
Also every attack including her autoattack hits harder so I had to be more careful meleeing it
And what time are u even talking about? I think most groups do it the same time or even slower than my solo was >.>