Fractal reward chest discourages grouping

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: loquacious.7465

loquacious.7465

Hey, the fractal reward chest for completing one of the tiers in a day may have been intended to encourage grouping at lower level tiers.

But it also acts to discourage it. I am finding I’m passing up helping people on odd level tiers (especially tier 1, which is the tier that really benefits from guidance) because if I only have time for one fractal, I’ll be trying to recruit for an even number.

For those of us that are casuals, it means we’re passing up otherwise functional groups half the time! Maybe this is not what you intended.

(edited by loquacious.7465)

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

There’s so many wrong design decisions with the Fractals it’s not even funny. It’s a shame, because the actual content is quite nice and fun to play.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Ivanov.8914

Ivanov.8914

Then post these wrong design decisions so that they may be discussed if it’s not being done in another thread.
That way maybe we will find the right way to turn things around?
We’re all human after all,no one is immune to falter.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Then post these wrong design decisions so that they may be discussed if it’s not being done in another thread.
That way maybe we will find the right way to turn things around?
We’re all human after all,no one is immune to falter.

Difficulty scaling splits up people interested in doing the dungeon into many groups: Makes it hard to form teams, usually takes a long time searching for people to join. Makes it unrewarding doing lower level difficulties. Massive LFP spam in Lion’s Arch.

Agony is hardly a skill-based mechanic. It’s described as a condition, yet it cannot be removed. The best way to survive agony is by getting new gear, effectively outdating current exotic gear. The new gear is either hella expensive, or reliant on a random drop system. These are requirements to progress through the difficulty scaling in the higher levels. Being forced to grind through low and easy difficulties before getting to the more difficult stuff.

Fractals having statistically better rewards than any of the other dungeons. Makes it harder to find parties for other dungeons now, because of less reasons to go there anymore.

People not getting auto-ressed when a dungeon boss is defeated can possibly result in griefing: People not willing to res teammates, especially a bad thing at the end of the 3rd dungeon. Final attack of Jade Maw is a free-for-all instead of a team effort: Rewards players for selfish gameplay, rather than teamwork.

I could probably come up with more, but these are the major ones.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Zartheon.5874

Zartheon.5874

You forgot the impossibility to come back into FotM after a disconnection.
Today I didn’t manage to complete a single run due to this.

Posted by: Amonde Daneren.2380

Amonde Daneren.2380

Fractal reward chest discourages grouping.
Fixed that for you.

Posted by: loquacious.7465

loquacious.7465

I’d prefer to keep this thread to a single issue about the fractals that can be analyzed, rather than turning into a meaningless echo chamber about the other problems the fractals have.

Posted by: ConterK.3972

ConterK.3972

Difficulty scaling splits up people interested in doing the dungeon into many groups: Makes it hard to form teams, usually takes a long time searching for people to join. Makes it unrewarding doing lower level difficulties. Massive LFP spam in Lion’s Arch.

Agony is hardly a skill-based mechanic. It’s described as a condition, yet it cannot be removed. The best way to survive agony is by getting new gear, effectively outdating current exotic gear. The new gear is either hella expensive, or reliant on a random drop system. These are requirements to progress through the difficulty scaling in the higher levels. Being forced to grind through low and easy difficulties before getting to the more difficult stuff.

Fractals having statistically better rewards than any of the other dungeons. Makes it harder to find parties for other dungeons now, because of less reasons to go there anymore.

People not getting auto-ressed when a dungeon boss is defeated can possibly result in griefing: People not willing to res teammates, especially a bad thing at the end of the 3rd dungeon. Final attack of Jade Maw is a free-for-all instead of a team effort: Rewards players for selfish gameplay, rather than teamwork.

I could probably come up with more, but these are the major ones.

I disagree!
altho the scaling difficulty split the people doing the dungeon into many groups
it encourage people to find 1, sort of, permanent/main group to do it so everybokitteneps it at the same lvl!
And even with that, if some1 is lv30 and his main group isnt on, he can easily just join a lv10 fractals just for the sake of doing it, just because it would be incredibly easy for him! i’v had people of lvl30 fractal doing lv10 with me, just because his main group wasnt on!

That same guy taught me that Agony actually IS a skill based thing, and just like any other skill you can dodge it!
and at lvl 30 you either dodge it, or pretty much die by it!
the kind of partys that make it that far, are the ones that actually study the boss fights and know every possible animation a boss do!

The best way to fight Agony is dodging at the right moment!
Right now ther’s no “better than exotic” gear since the only pink(Ascendant) stuff ingame are Rings and Back item!!
Ascendant gear is account bound, or at least the ones in game so far, u can only “craft” the stuff you already got from the daily to make it have resistances!

Fractals doesnt really “haave” better rewards than other dungeons, they’r just different!
Fractals cant provide you with full exotic set/weapon, yet!
unless you are lucky and get them from drops/chest! wich can happen in any other dungeon as well
The rest of the dungeons give you the tokens to trade for full exotic sets!
and i still see a lot of people doing normal dungeons, not just fractals!

Well, thats pretty much why you should find a small group of friends/guildies, so you dont get griefed,
ther’s Trolls in every game, is just how it is!
you can get griefed in any dungeon anyways, i.e: the person that joined the dungeon first, disbans the party be4 u claim your chest (happened to be twice on CM exp mode b4, not because they were griefing, but because they had to leave and i guess they didnt knew that would happen)

Well the Final attack is in between both things, is a FFA to be the person that picks a crystal up be4 it happens, and its also a teamplay thing, because if u survived you should ress your party members!!

PS: for finding groups, try www.gw2lfg.com

(edited by ConterK.3972)

Posted by: wookalar.8952

wookalar.8952

Adding to Conterk’s counterpoint, they buffed other dungeons loot when fractals came out. I get several Rares running through dungeons like Arah and HotW. Not to mention extra tokens. The only loot that is better in fractals is the small chance at ascended.

Nanuuk (80 Mes), Guardian Nuuk (80 Guard),
Warrior Nuuk (80 War)
[ALS], Anvil Rock

Posted by: Gorge Express.7163

Gorge Express.7163

Agony is not a skill based mechanic. The only source of agony that anyone actually cares about is the Jade Maw’s agony, which can’t be dodged.

Fractals tend to give nice items like charged cores on top of rares. These can be sold for lots of money, which can be used to buy exotics. Probably faster to buy the exotics with gold than money, aside from really expensive ones like swords. They also provide ascended back pieces and rings, of course, which cannot be gotten anywhere else.

The game encourages finding a main group only because the normal grouping system is horrid.

ConterK.3972

Agony is not a skill based mechanic. The only source of agony that anyone actually cares about is the Jade Maw’s agony, which can’t be dodged.

Fractals tend to give nice items like charged cores on top of rares. These can be sold for lots of money, which can be used to buy exotics. Probably faster to buy the exotics with gold than money, aside from really expensive ones like swords. They also provide ascended back pieces and rings, of course, which cannot be gotten anywhere else.

The game encourages finding a main group only because the normal grouping system is horrid.

what exactly you mean by being a Skill based mechanic?? as far as i know agony can be dodged.. making it a skill..!!

normal dungeons give this stuff too, have you tried doing dungeons with the new loot system??
the only thing Fractals have over normal dungeons are the ascendant items, but those cannot be sold, so is not a money making thing!

and if you wanna go high lvl fractal, u’r pretty much going to need a perma group, PUGs fail even on non Agony lvls..

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

High end Fractals aren’t meant for casuals. Or at least that is what it feels like. Its trying to be the “raid endgame” of other games without being a “raid”. If that makes sense.

Agony can be dodged, except jade maw. If he can I don’t know how. Agony is attached to skills, for example – Jellyfish eats you → agony. Don’t get eaten → no agony. Etc

Posted by: TheRabbit.9478

TheRabbit.9478

High end Fractals aren’t meant for casuals. Or at least that is what it feels like. Its trying to be the “raid endgame” of other games without being a “raid”. If that makes sense.

Yes, exactly. I was in a very good group last night, and it took us 90 minutes to do level 20. That’s with no wipes, no disconnects, and very few deaths.

90 minutes of straight play time to progress 1 level, just to do it all over again is not casual.

Thus, high end fractals are not for casual players.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

what exactly you mean by being a Skill based mechanic?? as far as i know agony can be dodged.. making it a skill..!!

Infusion would be useless them. You can hardly beat level 10 without learning to dodge agony attacks and most people get their first agony resist by beating level 10.

Truth is, the Jad Maw boss applies a full party agony at each phase change, including the very start of the fight. You cannot dodge that one at all and at level 18/20 it plain kills you if you don’t have resist. You cannot really heal it either. The farther you go the stronger it gets.

ConterK.3972

Infusion would be useless them. You can hardly beat level 10 without learning to dodge agony attacks and most people get their first agony resist by beating level 10.

Truth is, the Jad Maw boss applies a full party agony at each phase change, including the very start of the fight. You cannot dodge that one at all and at level 18/20 it plain kills you if you don’t have resist. You cannot really heal it either. The farther you go the stronger it gets.

i know, thats what i mean!
Agony is based on a skill that you can dodge
all except, probably, from Jad Maw boss
but even as it is, the first Agony u can just let it run out and after you’r back up healed start fighting! and then just be carefull with it and not lure too many monsters at the same time, lol!
even if u wipe, Jad Maw doesnt reset hp, so is not that bad!

Posted by: Gorge Express.7163

Gorge Express.7163

And what if nobody in your party has agony resist due to bad luck?

Posted by: Bregah.7365

Bregah.7365

There’s so many wrong design decisions with the Fractals it’s not even funny. It’s a shame, because the actual content is quite nice and fun to play.

Yup – I find the actual fractals fun (for the most part – and especially compared to the launch dungeons), but nearly everything around them is a chore.

As I’m 0 for 6 or 7 on my daily 10 chest, I am only running 10, and if I have time after that (considering the LFG time, the possibility of DC requiring restarting, the possibility of a long run), I run a level 2 (because so far I have not received an Ascended ring from 10) if I have more time.

Posted by: KuroKanden.1026

KuroKanden.1026

just showcasing that ascended accessories are NOT mandatory assets when it comes to fotm, even at higher lvs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BizzOT6Kb00

Posted by: TheRabbit.9478

TheRabbit.9478

just showcasing that ascended accessories are NOT mandatory assets when it comes to fotm, even at higher lvs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BizzOT6Kb00

You made a video of the two easiest fractals (underwater + swamp) and for the third (colossus) you used bugs to avoid having to fight the boss for everything except for minute or two.

Show me a video of you doing grawl, or legendary dredge suit with your 0 toughness and 0 agony resist. It will be a video of you on the ground dead the entire fight.

Also, 0 agony resist? You don’t even show your gear during the entire video. Seems like agony on jade maw is hitting you for way less than it would hit someone that has 0 resist.

Posted by: TBrother.9138

TBrother.9138

You didn’t even show your gear in the video, how do we know you didn’t have agony resistance. I bet the other 4 people in your party had agony resistance.

TheRabbit is right, those were the 3 easiest ones.

ConterK.3972

welp, i just did another lv10 run, and this time tested some ideas to avoid agony on Jad Maw boss, and yes, u can dodge all the agony on it
and even the last hit,

at the end it was pretty much just me and a friend that knew how to, cuz the other 3 guys didnt understood what we explained, and died so we just 2 man it!!