Fractals Jade Maw Bug - No Skull Icon

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

Edit: Per the Moderator, if you’re confirming the bug, please give all relevant information including Character race and profession, Fractal lvl, Personal Reward lvl, and what you were drinking at the time

Character: 80 Male Norn Mesmer (Tallest height available)
Fractal lvl 10, Personal lvl 17
Added Info: Could not see skulls over myself or my illusions, confirmed by my team through TS3
Drink: Pinot Grigio (straight out of the bottle.)

Narrative: I was running fractals last night with a guild group. We’ve all run this a bunch so it was a swift blow-through. When we got to the Maw, we were hoarding crystals and whatnot. The first beam attack was aimed at me, and I went down. Figured I just missed the skull icon. Then it happened a second time a little later. After a third time, my group is like, “Jack! What are you doing?! At least dodge those.” I realized I wasn’t getting the skull icon at all, but I could see it when other people were targeted. They started calling it out when it was aimed at me. (I’m a mesmer, once they mistook a clone for me. I couldn’t see the skull over my illusions either.) I could see skulls over other people, so if I didn’t see any, then I knew I was in trouble. Usually it was too late even when they did call it out.

Anyway, NBD for this run. My party carried me through it, and none of them had the bug. Has anyone else run into this though?

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

(edited by Nikked.7365)

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

Were you standing inside tentacles? It tends to not be visible inside.

Posted by: Kumakichi.2583

Kumakichi.2583

Yup had it happen in one of my early runs

Nikked.7365

Were you standing inside tentacles? It tends to not be visible inside.

Good thought, but I wasn’t. Once we realized what was happening, I was trying to stay near the crystals with very little luck. In hindsight, I should have just carried a crystal always instead of trying to contribute to DPS.

Yup had it happen in one of my early runs

Thanks for the confirmation!

Dragonbrand

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

Happened to me this morning. Also a mesmer.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

It hasn’t happened to me, but I was in a group where it was happening to a member. We were on TS3, so we just planted him at a crystal and politely told him (read: screamed) when he had a dot over his head.

Side note: When are they going to not target pets? I can understand clones and minions because you can control those…. but pets? really?

RIP in peace Robert

Nikked.7365

It hasn’t happened to me, but I was in a group where it was happening to a member. We were on TS3, so we just planted him at a crystal and politely told him (read: screamed) when he had a dot over his head.

Haha, they were screaming at me on TS3 as well. It was even better when they confused a clone for my character. Then the screaming became, “Put the clones away! Oh kitten! Another skull! Wait, is that you or a clone?” Oh, the struggles of being a Mesmer.

Side note: When are they going to not target pets? I can understand clones and minions because you can control those…. but pets? really?

No official response on the Maw death beam aimed at pets, though other people have asked about it in a thread Robert Hrouda is monitoring:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Robert-Hrouda-on-pets-in-dungeons/first

Dragonbrand

(edited by Nikked.7365)

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

Recently I was in a party where a member complained that he got no skull and was downed. Thing is, I saw the skull above him.

I might be stating the obvious but character model can affect the skull “appearance”. Bigger models (I would think norn and charr) will have a bigger looking skull that is positioned higher. And the skull will not readjust based on camera angle so you might miss it if you are zoomed in.

Or it could be a bug shrugs

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I believe I had the same thing. The first time I thought I had just missed it. The second time I thought I had been too close to the rocks and my camera view wasn’t zoomed out far enough to see it (both times). Third time, again near the left side rocks, I was getting suspicious of a bug.

Nikked.7365

Recently I was in a party where a member complained that he got no skull and was downed. Thing is, I saw the skull above him.

I might be stating the obvious but character model can affect the skull “appearance”. Bigger models (I would think norn and charr) will have a bigger looking skull that is positioned higher. And the skull will not readjust based on camera angle so you might miss it if you are zoomed in.

Or it could be a bug shrugs

Ah, my team saw the skulls above me and my illusions, but I didn’t. We were using TS3, which helped.

That said, I do play the tallest sized Male Norn available (I have epic clones. They often draw enemy attention in WvW.) But I’ve run Maw many times, including on this character. So, I don’t think I missed the skulls at all, but it sounds like your party member may have been bugged.

I believe I had the same thing. The first time I thought I had just missed it. The second time I thought I had been too close to the rocks and my camera view wasn’t zoomed out far enough to see it (both times). Third time, again near the left side rocks, I was getting suspicious of a bug.

Third time’s the charm. That’s when I was hip to it too.

Dragonbrand

(edited by Nikked.7365)

Posted by: pureblackfire.5390

pureblackfire.5390

this fight has been full of bugs since the very first time I’ve done it. no skull icon, no beam visualizing on screen, no sound sometimes, getting killed with reflection crystal in hand (guess it’s better to just dodge). also, is it a bug when the thing targets you (me) 7 times in a row? no kidding, this happens on almost every run.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

Ah, my team saw the skulls above me and my illusions, but I didn’t. We were using TS3, which helped.

That said, I do play the tallest sized Male Norn available (I have epic clones. They often draw enemy attention in WvW.) But I’ve run Maw many times, including on this character. So, I don’t think I missed the skulls at all, but it sounds like your party member may have been bugged.

Actually that party member was downed pretty close to the blocks. I’m inclined to think that he missed the skull due to restricted camera angles. Just offering perspectives as someone who also uses a mesmer (human) for Fotm amongst others and who also done Maw many times.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

The first time I did Jade Maw this happened, which confused the hell outta me because people were telling me to watch the skulls and dodge as soon as it dissappeared if I didnt have a crystal. Since then it happens on rare occasions.

Posted by: Nuke Morg.1952

Nuke Morg.1952

There were situations (very rare) pre patch that there was no skull. Much more often there was no sound. After patch what I can see.. is nothing. But I know I have the skull the issue is with camera. Sometimes I can see a little orange glow at the top of the screen, sometimes with strange angles on the camera I can see whole skull. Most of the time I see nothing and my guildmates tell me if I have one. It’s since the patch and happens on EACH run. I have huge charr but I’m not sure if this is the source of the issue. This is really frustrating as I keep going into downed state with no other reason then bug.

“Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.”

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Please continue providing us with as much info as possible (Race, Fractal Lvl…all you can think of that can be relevant) so that we can forward it to the team.

Thanks for your understanding. As always, please keep a civil and constructive discussion

Nuke Morg.1952

For the issue described by me:
Race: Charr (if I recall correctly highest possible).
Fractal lvl: all
Which Fractal: Jade Maw

I’m not sure if it matters how big is character, I’ve heard that some ppl playing humans had the same on one of my runs. Friend of mine had it once or twice (human character) but for me its ALWAYS there. Started with latest patch.

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

Funny enough I ran a level 10 fractal last night and one of my guildies was having the same problem. He could see the skulls over the rest of us, but could not see it over his own head. We got through it by targeting him whenever we noticed he was being targeted by the Maw. His character is the tallest possible norn warrior he could make.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Yes, with me it was tallest Norn female available.

Nuke Morg.1952

PS. If you face this issue make camera show “the sky”. You will possibly see the scull – it’s not really invisible for you it’s just the camera. It’s very frustraiting but fortunately it’s in instance so ppl can help you.

Posted by: kortam.2948

kortam.2948

Norn female ranger, really huge ranger.
fractal lvl 4.

got maw to low health where his attacks change. had a mass tentacle spawn, then bang, got downed with no icon over my head. was on skype and nobody called it out, and we call it out on every guy on every shot cuz some of us suck at dodging.

in total i probably got targeted about a dozen times and maybe 3 downed me with no target. but what was a thousand times worse, some targeted me but did not show the actual shot, so i could not dodge it. you would get the icon, be nowhere near a crystal and be staring, waiting to dodge, nobody calls out dodge and BAM your on the ground. no graphic no sound just grounded.

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

okay this is probably not the case… so i’m not super familiar with this level yet.. but i’m working my way up to lvl 10 now (and playign lvl 10’s to get there and get some practice). i’ve always been able to see my friend’s / party member’s skull icon.. except on myself, when i would jsut get downed or not have enough time to react to the maw’s beam.. aaaaaaaand my wife was like, “uh… are you zoomed all the way out??”

o________O duh.
okay. that’s probably just me. :///

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

Norn Guardian , Charr Engi

I have seen it occasionally on all the fractals i have done, i would go so far to say at least one person has it happen to them per run.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Those skulls tend to appear inside terrain and u cannot see them. Like inside rock and the mobs if your camera is facing down.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: sbr.8170

sbr.8170

I know the first few times I did the fight I never saw the skulls, but then I realized my field of view wasn’t zoomed all the way out. Once I made that change I see them every time.

FWIW

Oops, just noticed akamon already addressed that.