Fractals and the Weapon Skins Problem

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

No offence, but you are not the one making sense either. I know we are simply nitpicking about maths, but we must be accurate.

We are saying that is it possible that you will never get the skin, although unlikely in the long-term.

idk whats so hard to understand about “dont say never”. thats what ive said 3 times now. because never is wrong. you can say its possible one will not get the skin, and thats fine. but to say its possible one will never get the skin is false.

Oh really, and I guess you have a way to prove that? Because the mathematical knowledge of the entire humanity disagrees. It’s common sense really.

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

your exceptional use of superlatives and hyperbole makes you sound rational, so ofc you win this argument by default.

lol.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

your exceptional use of superlatives and hyperbole makes you sound rational, so ofc you win this argument by default.

lol.

Debating basic probabilities here on this forum is of little interest, so unless you can really make a point, I’d rather we leave this discussion aside: it adds little to the matters at hand.

But if you can show me that my maths is wrong, I would be pleased to hear it

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

Let’s assume a drop rate of 0.118 for fractal skins. Let’s assume we have 365 trials and 0 successes. What’s P(X=0)? Well, it’s just simple binomial probability. Plug and chug into a formula. It’s about 10^(-20).

So it’s very likely if you run 50’s every day for a year, you’re going to get a skin. It’s even pretty close to zero chance of not getting a skin. But it’s non-zero.

It’s quite wrong to say “it is literally not possible to never get a skin. because the probability of getting a skin is nonzero.”

Because you can demonstrate that it is mathematically possible, even though it is unlikely. Certainly, the limit of (1-0.118)^n (in the case k=0) as n approaches infinity is very small. Under the limit notation, it even equals zero. But anyone who has taken calculus knows that this doesn’t mean it’s actually zero. It means it approaches zero. It never reaches it; we could even divide it by another limit (for example) and get a finite non-zero answer… It can’t be actually zero. Thus, it must necessarily be possible, if not very improbable, for someone to never get a fractal skin. Even with infinite repetitions. Even given the probability of getting a skin is nonzero (the supposed cornerstone of your argument here). The only probability that would support your case is p = 1, and p != 1.

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

And there we go, we had to do a whole maths crash course here, thereby diverging the thread from its central idea, just because one person couldn’t do some background checks before nitpicking.

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

I don’t think it’s an inability to do background checks.

It’s one’s desire to continually double down rather than walk away or admit one was wrong.

Someone here has redefined the word “never” in a way that makes him right and everyone else wrong.

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I would like to see the following new ways for acquiring Fractal Weapons:

1. You get a Fractal Weapon Box for completing Fractal Frequenter (500 Fractals completed). This is a one-time bonus and is retroactive.

2. You can trade 100/250/500(? Open to negotiation) Pristine Fractal Relics for a Fractal Weapon Box. As part of this change, you can trade back any existing Fractal Weapon skin you don’t want for 100 Pristine Fractal Relics.

3. Fractal Weapon Boxes are now a very rare drop from completing Fractal Level 40 – 50.

4. A new Fractals meta-achievement is added where you get a Fractal Weapon Box for completing every single Fractals achievement (except Fractal Frequenter). (This may be a problem if ANet decides to add more Fractals in the future, however.)

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

1. You get a Fractal Weapon Box for completing Fractal Frequenter (500 Fractals completed). This is a one-time bonus and is retroactive.

2. You can trade 100/250/500(? Open to negotiation) Pristine Fractal Relics for a Fractal Weapon Box. As part of this change, you can trade back any existing Fractal Weapon skin you don’t want for 100 Pristine Fractal Relics.

3. Fractal Weapon Boxes are now a very rare drop from completing Fractal Level 40 – 50.

4. A new Fractals meta-achievement is added where you get a Fractal Weapon Box for completing every single Fractals achievement (except Fractal Frequenter). (This may be a problem if ANet decides to add more Fractals in the future, however.)

I would love to see this. It makes the weapons accessible without making them giveaways.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

Posted by: Piratoz.8627

Piratoz.8627

As simple solution that Anet could implement is this:

At the vendor, have a ticket that can be bought with any fractal skin. This ticket can then be used to purchase a fractal skin of the player’s choice. Now instead of 1/19 * X where X is the chance of getting any skin it is now just X. In fact I don’t understand why a solution similar to this hasn’t been done already. While it is not a complete fix, it would be relatively easy and quick to code and would help to alleviate player’s complaints of not getting a skin they can actually use. I guess Anet doesn’t care about instanced content like fractals and dungeons.

Posted by: tim.1280

tim.1280

This is clearly a most simple solution, to an on going problem since the fractaled update. It makes everyone happy as it removes the rng whilst still keeping the skins exclusive , rare and hard to obtain. I would say 250 relics btw.

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

Good idea +1. Maybe scratch number 4 unless they add harder achievements. They are pretty ez.

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

I’d rather read more about maths than suggestions. Why? We’ve had threads like this over a million times. All of the things in here have been suggested before and not just once. You can digress, get back to the topic, start a petition or a kickstarter for more Fractal Boxes below level 51 but ultimately, with ANETs communication policy, it’s most likely that it will either never be implemented or suddenly appear in the patch notes with no prior information.
It doesn’t hurt to constantly remind the developers of these things but at this point our complaints must have been heard. Maybe you should post this in the General Discussion since this is what the developers are apparently supposed to look at but even there, if I recall correctly, we’ve seen threads like this at least every month, if not biweekly.
Fractal Skins is probably THE single most important topic to myself and my most fervent complaint but based on past experience, the dungeon communitys efforts at getting ANET to listen to us have been pretty futile.

Posted by: Slacker.2679

Slacker.2679

I agree, this has been beaten to death and it’s clear that the devs have no plans to change things. But while we’re at it I’ll throw in my 2c. I think at the very least we should see:

*Have all fractal weapons drop as a box instead of a random weapon
*Create a vendor to trade existing, unused skins for a fractal weapon box

This would eliminate a large portion of headaches while still allowing the skins to be extremely rare as they seem to be intended.

Posted by: beastie.4536

beastie.4536

I don’t mind the rng but at least let us roll a skin we don’t have. I’m stucked with 16/19 skin for 8 months and I keep getting the skin I already have(Trident, Trident and MORE Tridents) T_T

Mike O’Brien: "We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Such a great idea. They should add a collection too where when you get all the achievements in the fractals done you get to pick one of the skins.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Phil.7903

Phil.7903

Everytime an update is released I open patchnotes, CTRL+F, type in “frac”, get 0 results, close browser. T_T

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

I don’t really mind that fractal skins are very rare “RNG” drops, but what I do mind is that even the skin you get is completely random.

I would change this to keep the same low drop rate, but award you with a “Fractal Weapon Ticket” if you get lucky enough to have one drop. The ticket would allow you to pick a skin of your choice.

If they implemented that same system with rings (“Infused ring ticket” or “ring ticket,” depending on RNG), that would be appreciated by me as well. I haven’t even done the countless fractals some of you have (~200 for me), and my bank is already harboring multiple copies of rings I’ll probably never use. Of course this addition alone would be a huge increase (in quality) to fractal drops since it basically guarantees that you get something you want every few runs. However, if they maintain the current “account bound” status I don’t really see a huge problem with this.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Vagrant.7206

I don’t really mind that fractal skins are very rare “RNG” drops, but what I do mind is that even the skin you get is completely random.

The hardest part about that is that I’ve heard horror stories of people receiving the same skin 5 or more times.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

The hardest part about that is that I’ve heard horror stories of people receiving the same skin 5 or more times.

I’ve had 9 hammer skins drop after I started keeping them. Before that I had somewhere around dozen hammer drops. Not to count my dozen maces, spearguns, torches and everything but my last skin which is a focus.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Thats pretty normal. I tend to get countless scepters. A friend of mine seems to always get torches. Fortunately for me i got my fractal sword during our race to 50 after fractured. He still hasnt gotten his and hes probably done over 3 times as many fractals as me.

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

Thats pretty normal. I tend to get countless scepters. A friend of mine seems to always get torches. Fortunately for me i got my fractal sword during our race to 50 after fractured. He still hasnt gotten his and hes probably done over 3 times as many fractals as me.

I am the master of harpoon guns. gotten it like 8 times now

Vagrant.7206

You would think a code to prevent duplicates would be relatively simple.

Posted by: monx.6510

monx.6510

i managed to get all fractals skins, and i got most of them before the wardrobe patch, also before ascended chests. so at that time the rewards were either a ring,skin or nothing.
it took me around 3-4 months of at least 2-3 fotm a day. I wanted to get 2 daggers so i can duel wield them on my ele, by the time i got the second dagger, i was only missing few underwater skins. after i got my second dagger i started doing less fractals and eventually i got the skins i’m missing.
now, i’ve been doing fractals 50 almost every day since last week, and i believe that the skin drop rate is kinda lower than it used to be, or maybe that they added the ascended chests as a reward it decreased the skins drop rate.
as far as i remember back then, most of the time at least 1 person in the party would get a skin.
anyways i hope you all get the skins you want!.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractal_Gear_Box

Anet messed up big time….shoulda made it 41+

I might be behind the times because i wasnt around when fractured came out, but according to wiki and ppl who have i guess datamined this exitsts, and it should allow people to pick skins but hasn’t been implemented yet. Maybe there is hope yet altho it will still be rng, but less painful rng

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I might be behind the times because i wasnt around when fractured came out, but according to wiki and ppl who have i guess datamined this exitsts, and it should allow people to pick skins but hasn’t been implemented yet. Maybe there is hope yet altho it will still be rng, but less painful rng

When Fractured! came out they announced these boxes as one of the amazing new features. Then a few days/weeks later when no one had received one, they were like “JK GUYZ THEY ONLY DROP FROM 51 PLUS WHICH YOU CAN’T ACCESS YET LELELELELEL”

Vagrant.7206

When Fractured! came out they announced these boxes as one of the amazing new features. Then a few days/weeks later when no one had received one, they were like “JK GUYZ THEY ONLY DROP FROM 51 PLUS WHICH YOU CAN’T ACCESS YET LELELELELEL”

Talk about punishing players for no particular reason. This is the only dungeon with a gear grind and we still get treated in this way.

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

Precursors you can work towards by saving gold. I’ve done it once myself. But don’t forget teq hoard. I ran teq a ridiculous amount of times. I would say far more than my gw2 friends, yet they hav teq hoard and i dont. I also once upon a time suffered through fractal rng by trying well over 500+ fractals for the greatsword which i never got. I now quit fractals, gave up that goal and have 2 legendaries. So yea i stay far clear of account rng stuff now. Only running teq for the karma XD

kitten the Teq hoard, and kitten RNG. I know someone who got three hoards in the span of a week or a month I think? I know someone who got 6 precursors in the span of 6 months. I mean, how is that “random”? How is that balanced? I’ve been playing for nearly two years, logged nearly 5000 hours, never got a Teq hoard or a pre. The most expensive drop I’ve ever gotten was worth 67g, and I know that that’s considered LUCKY compared to some other people’s drops.

I just ran a 50 with friends just now and FOUR of us got absolutely kittening NOTHING. The fifth got an infused celestial ring. I think getting NOTHING in 50s is a b s o l u t e BS. You should at least get SOMETHING. I would take a crappy ring over nothing any day of the week. When I run 50s and get nothing, it makes me question why I spent all that money on ascended armor to begin with. My entire playing experience does NOT revolve exclusively around getting great loot for every single drop, but I cannot even begin to express how frustrating it is to see the same blue and green loot drop over and over again. It’s even worse when you finish a 50 and see … Nothing.

I have 8 skins and only one multiple. So I suppose I’m lucky on that front. But I hardly ever get them at 50s. I get better stuff doing 20s, 39s, 40s than I do 50s, honestly. I’m starting to honestly think maybe I should just forgo doing 50s and stick to the mid-level ones from now on.

Incursiön [iN]