Fractals have hit rock bottom

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

People only do swamp now. Both for dailies and raising personal reward level.

Swamp has always been a problem because it’s so fast and easy. As long as people view it as equivalently rewarding to the other fractals they’ll always spam it. Same with the other fast/easy ones.

If you change things so we have to do different fractals to get our dailies, people will still always do 1 swamp. It’ll probably be swamp, molten boss, and molten furnace.

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

You still need more fractals for the legendary backpiece. Also, you gotta complete each fractal from 1-100 for the achiev. So other fractals still count for something, I suppose

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

Most of the time there is no incentive to do anything other than swamp.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

You still need more fractals for the legendary backpiece. Also, you gotta complete each fractal from 1-100 for the achiev. So other fractals still count for something, I suppose

True but that’s temporary. Some people already have their Legendary Backpiece precursor and don’t bother with recommended daily anymore. And even more people already have done at least once from level 1 to 100. As more and more people get into that category there is no more reason to run something else than the 3 easiest fractal for each daily and more than often it’s swamp.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

How is this a problem? If you’re bored of the popular fractals just make a listing for whatever level you want to play. There’s usually people still trying to complete the achievements who will join.

This is a welcomed change for most of us, as the dungeon nerf deprived players of semi-casual instanced content.

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Don’t worry OP, anet said they are going to give harder fractals better exp rewards so you can level up your tyria mastery faster. That should fix it. Even though everyone already maxed out tyria mastery via COF, I am confident new tyria masteries will be released totally making this meaningful. \s

Yh op it’s pretty bad. I continue to hope that anet will make a repeatable fractal achievement for fractals 1-100. I don’t think anet will ever successfully balance rewards, but if every fractal had a unique reward as part of a repeatable meta achievement, then every fractal would be worthwhile. Well…as long as the achievement had a GOOD (non-account bound) reward.

Posted by: Zerikin.1593

Zerikin.1593

Just make your own group in LFG, you’ll get people.

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Don’t worry OP, anet said they are going to give harder fractals better exp rewards so you can level up your tyria mastery faster. That should fix it. Even though everyone already maxed out tyria mastery via COF, I am confident new tyria masteries will be released totally making this meaningful. \s

Yh op it’s pretty bad. I continue to hope that anet will make a repeatable fractal achievement for fractals 1-100. I don’t think anet will ever successfully balance rewards, but if every fractal had a unique reward as part of a repeatable meta achievement, then every fractal would be worthwhile. Well…as long as the achievement had a GOOD (non-account bound) reward.

This ^

Unless they create some more mastery’s that can be earned in fractals there will be no point to increasing their XP reward. Most ppl will have their mastery’s maxed out anyway.

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I was discussing this in another thread. I appreciate they have updated fractals to a degree, but the updates have created an ugly situation. The higher instabilities don’t feel like additional challenge, more like you’re being purposely annoyed. After dealing with these persistent and annoying instability, you receive little reward. This creates a situation where players all look to complete just three fractals now with minimal effort. This leads to Bloomhunger-mossman-mossman-done. Even then most PuG teams insist on exploiting. It gets to the point where either you go with the flow, or get kicked. Because of the scaling where this fractal is repeated it is difficult for players to progress beyond LvL 77 because everyone generally feels that the reward is lacking, so take the easy chest and hope for a small chance you may get something worthwhile once in blue moon.
Fractals has had it’s issues which over time anet has addressed in small drips and drabs, but with the latest update I don’t think they were trying to create an ugly situation, but it has ended up there. After running 3000+ easily fractals I would be happier at this point in time if fractals had just stayed the same. You commit to doing four, the max lvl is 50, the max AR needed was 75 and you received minor liquid rewards, but reasonable chances at comestic and useful gear for alt toons.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

They need to change it so you can only do 3 levels next to each other for daily. Sure people will still pick the same three but at least it’s more variety than swamp three times. And who knows maybe people would opt out of swamp if it was next too the longest shards. Either way it would give more variety and seems like a simple change.

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

This or join the numerous LFG groups NOT doing swamp.

@Op, Have you done every fractal hundreds of times? Some people have and find little to no enjoyment from doing the same content over and over again just to fill out dailies.

If you want to actually do the content for enjoyment, there are plenty of other people who will join you so I don’t see where your problem lies.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

(edited by Leodon.1564)

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

Who are you to tell me what fractal I should play? Let people play what they want. Every day there is LFG groups doing things that are not fractal or molten boss.

There is also the problem of casual vs hardcore here. A casual player will want to log in, get their dailies in the time they have, log off. A hardcore person would get their dalies and then some.

This is a non issue, some people want to do short fractals in the time they have. Some are fine doing longer ones. Restricting people so they have to play your way is just not fun.

Posted by: doombreaker.3710

doombreaker.3710

This was true for the first two weeks. I added an lfg for lvl 76 last saturday and waited for 20 mins until I gave up and eventually changed the description to lvl 77. The group filled within a minute.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I may be the odd one out, but I actually prefer fractals like grawl or dredge with lots of enemies . More enemies means more loot chances for stuff like grawl skulls (I’m still collecting them to progress my grawl weapon collection), mist essences (I’ve never dropped a lot of those yet), or (most important at the moment ) those thingies you need to upgrade the cat golem minis in the forge . Besides, I just don’t like the swamp map, never have, never will.

I still appreciate the fact that if I really don’t have a lot of time (happens if you have to squeeze your game time in between kids, husband, and fulltime job ), I can still opt to playing something shorter (although I vastly prefer molten duo to swamp ). Aside from that, I’ll choose fractals I enjoy (e.g. aquatic ruins ) whenever I can.

Khristophoros.7194

Some of you guys are hilarious, trying to defend this garbage.

Like if Anet added a new fractal that was literally just 1 veteran and then after you kill it you completed the fractal, they’d defend that too. “I just want my dailies I don’t wanna play the game”

You’re a joke if you defend this.

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Swamp isn’t the easiest it’s the fastest.
The easiest is jade maw.
Get your facts right!

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

Like if Anet added a new fractal that was literally just 1 veteran and then after you kill it you completed the fractal, they’d defend that too. “I just want my dailies I don’t wanna play the game”

I’m sure this is 100% a constructive argument and not a personal attack on people who do log on just to play their dailies and then have to get off. Seriously, lay off and don’t enforce your way of playing on everybody else. The higher tier fractals will see more play when they aren’t absolutely terrible due to toughness scaling. Nobody wants to do higher tier fractals because just one fractal takes forever unless you have condi builds.

Khristophoros.7194

I’m sure this is 100% a constructive argument and not a personal attack on people who do log on just to play their dailies and then have to get off. Seriously, lay off and don’t enforce your way of playing on everybody else. The higher tier fractals will see more play when they aren’t absolutely terrible due to toughness scaling. Nobody wants to do higher tier fractals because just one fractal takes forever unless you have condi builds.

Before the toughness problem everyone always rolled swamp first. So that isn’t the reason. The reason is people will always do the fastest thing possible and avoid doing anything unnecessary.

Anyway why should the rewards be the same for somebody who only logs in for their dailies? Should this philosophy be applied to every part of the game too? If not, why only fractals?

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

The easiest is jade maw.
Get your facts right!

I dunno man, Jade Maw requires more player input. Swamp is pretty chill since you can just stand on the stick and press 1 while doing something else. On maw you actually have to look at the screen and stuff.

Khristophoros.7194

The easiest is jade maw.
Get your facts right!

I dunno man, Jade Maw requires more player input. Swamp is pretty chill since you can just stand on the stick and press 1 while doing something else. On maw you actually have to look at the screen and stuff.

Even if you do mossman legit you can just play a reaper and not worry about dodging or mechanics.

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

The easiest is jade maw.
Get your facts right!

What roof do you stand on in jade maw that allows you to avoid 100% of all damage?
Swamp is the easiest. Your facts are incorrect.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Let’s face it, no matter how many different, seemingly equal fractals there are, people will always gravitate towards some that are considered easiest/quickest by the masses. Just look at how many people used to be farming CoF p1 despite the fact that there were similarly easy/quick and more fun (but probably less well-known) dungeon paths around. Look at other games and their dungeons, there’s always some considered the “best to farm” (even if they aren’t, they’re just the most well-known to cheese a lot of times).

There’s really no way to “force” people to play everything. Some people do, simply because they enjoy changing things up. Others don’t because they feel the need to do a kind of optimized farm. Taking the (for me personally) much more flexible system that lets you choose your own fractal instances away from everyone just to push those that optimize to the point of ruining their own fun won’t help anyone.

But there’s really not that much difference to what we had before. I was at rewards level 50 before the update, but I’ve played next to none of the instabilities, because the only groups I could reasonably get (considering the to me huge time-investment high-level fractals meant back then) would play nothing but 40+50. The only other instabilities I ever saw were an occasional 38 or 49, but even those were rare.

Khristophoros.7194

Let’s face it, no matter how many different, seemingly equal fractals there are, people will always gravitate towards some that are considered easiest/quickest by the masses. Just look at how many people used to be farming CoF p1 despite the fact that there were similarly easy/quick and more fun (but probably less well-known) dungeon paths around. Look at other games and their dungeons, there’s always some considered the “best to farm” (even if they aren’t, they’re just the most well-known to cheese a lot of times).

There’s really no way to “force” people to play everything. Some people do, simply because they enjoy changing things up. Others don’t because they feel the need to do a kind of optimized farm. Taking the (for me personally) much more flexible system that lets you choose your own fractal instances away from everyone just to push those that optimize to the point of ruining their own fun won’t help anyone.

But there’s really not that much difference to what we had before. I was at rewards level 50 before the update, but I’ve played next to none of the instabilities, because the only groups I could reasonably get (considering the to me huge time-investment high-level fractals meant back then) would play nothing but 40+50. The only other instabilities I ever saw were an occasional 38 or 49, but even those were rare.

If things are closer to equal it’s easier to fill a group for the less popular stuff. Like before when everyone did dungeons, you could fill any dungeon group even though CoF P1 was the farm status one.

Well for dungeons a big part of it was that each one had its own daily. So maybe they should do that for fractals.

Posted by: Kurr.4179

Kurr.4179

I was doing odd lowbie fractals today for the achievements… I had to solo pretty much every fractal as people only joined my LFGs when I was pretty much done the fractal.

Later, I waited 20 minutes for anyone to join for dredge but it was a no go, so I just couldn’t complete it since you can’t solo it.

Yep, great system!

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

People only do swamp now. Both for dailies and raising personal reward level.

Swamp has always been a problem because it’s so fast and easy. As long as people view it as equivalently rewarding to the other fractals they’ll always spam it. Same with the other fast/easy ones.

If you change things so we have to do different fractals to get our dailies, people will still always do 1 swamp. It’ll probably be swamp, molten boss, and molten furnace.

Fractals were best when they were random – the new system is terrible.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

True but that’s temporary. Some people already have their Legendary Backpiece precursor and don’t bother with recommended daily anymore. And even more people already have done at least once from level 1 to 100. As more and more people get into that category there is no more reason to run something else than the 3 easiest fractal for each daily and more than often it’s swamp.

When they proposed their changes for fractals I pointed out that this would be exactly what would happen. People would work out which ones are easiest to run and would run only those.

What did they expect?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: brunobyof.3541

brunobyof.3541

Maybe they could fix this by crafting some more fractals and switching them with some of the swamps and molten bosses só that there will be only LVL 2, 32 and 67 for swamp. And LVL 40 and other high lvl for molten boss. Só maybe we get some fun, long lasting and rewarding low LVL fractals for daily.
Or maybe they could only fix the droprate as they are doing and then forget about fractals and create something new as they have been doing for quite some time. Something that will drag players towards the new contente as they dos with dungeons. We need new stuff. Raids are not for everyone and then there are few who have time/patience to keep waiting for hours to beat gorseval or vale Guardian.
I would love new dungeons, living world and those new maps.
Its fun doing events now in the HoT. I wasn’t happy with them before the expansioni but these maps and events are awesome, they are dinamyc and fun to do.
But wait this thrwad is about fractals

(edited by brunobyof.3541)