Fractals need NEW content.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

In light of the recent announcement of Fractal changes yesterday, I think we need to express ourselves while we have some attention.

We wanted new content, not new arbitrary level numbers on the same old maps, not a new color on old weapon skins without their particle effects.

Here are my proposed solutions.

New maps once or twice a yearNew fights like Abaddon that tell some of that rich GW1 lore many of us GW2 players never experienced. Old fights that we’ll never get to see again like Scarlet fights, defense of LA, the one-time Karka fight, living story. Give us the old fights that took a lot of development but yielded less value because of exposure like LS3 final fight, Claw island, or the opportunity for a revamped Zhaitan fight. FoTM’s freedom from the timeline should give developers unlimited opportunities, but we’re not seeing it put into effect.

New mechanics on old maps — Bosses need more than 2 attacks.

Rethink Mistlocks — New Mistlocks are not new maps. Re-think a way these can add to the experience.

Improve the FoTM Mastery, AR, achievements, and infusions — The FoTM mastery was an unrelated, flavorless grind. Mastery should be more than merchant unlocks and a singularity that doesn’t really change my experience. Add more singularities and put agony resist into the mastery. Agony resist should be an account-unlock through achievements and mastery and available to all the characters on an account. Pumping AR into every slot on all items is clunky and only has value in FoTM. Unless you want to carry around a bunch of sets, you miss out on more creative infusions. Keep in mind that infusions will be expending with Raids and you don’t want to be missing out.

Rethink rewards — What if anything is valuable in a fractal encryption? The cat golem minis are all the same thing with a different color and appeal only to the mini-hoarders of Tyria. Give us new, exclusive minis like a mini Molten Berserker, mini Anomaly, mini Zhaitan, or give us rare, old minis on a high RNG like mini Molten Firestorm. You could bring back the molten jetpack on another high RNG. If encryptions are selling for 10-15s on the TP, the balance is off. Restore ascended drops to their old RNG or put them on the vendor for 50-100 pristine. Old rates weren’t crazy high. I ran a lot of FoTM and it took me 6 months to start filling a bank tab of chests and of that most were gloves and boots. It did not need a drop nerf.

Rethink weapon skins — If you ask anyone their favorite thing about the old skins, it will be the particle effect across the board. New skins lost that touch and are the old skins with a golden paint job—a color that is unpopular if you look around and won’t even match the legendary pack piece. Redo new skins in the old theme. Give us a rapier sword, a 2-handed scimitar, a melee staff, etc. They don’t have to all launch at the same time, but this is a much better option. Old skins were the staying factor for old FoTM and selling them on the vendor was a terrible idea.

Modify the time-gateFoTM 100 and/or mastery should give me even more Daily Recommended Levels. If everyone gets 2 Daily Recs, a FoTM 100 player with mastery should get 4-5 to speed the flavorless time-gate and incentivise higher level FoTMs. Add a Daily Rec 50-75 and a Daily Rec 76-100. If people want to say the higher levels are too hard—don’t do them. Right now there is no incentive for higher level FoTM. Players who did 50,40,30 daily now just run a 8 and a 21 for the pages and call it a day.

Final thoughts — After HoT story and DS, you just can’t help but feel like our developers are capable of so much more than we’re seeing in FoTM right now. FoTM right now is the sloppy joe of GW2. Take the old meat, add some new sauce, slop it on a bun, and send it out. We’ll eat it, but we know it’s reheated left-overs.

I’d like to add that I feel my money was well spent on HoT—but that has absolutely nothing to do with FoTM in its current state.

(edited by Gav.1425)

Posted by: Aretak.3826

Aretak.3826

Absolutely, it’s hugely disappointing we’ve not seen anything new in 2 years and 2 ‘reworks’. The new instabilities are half kitten d, and as Brazil said apparently designed by someone with a ‘kitten your meta’ attitude. Fundamentally it’s still all the same and it’s painfully obvious how little resources they actually want to commit to their instanced content.

I was talking with my friends about fractals we’d love to see and there’s so many cool things that could be done like:

The Fall of Abaddon/Abaddon giving magic to humans.

All the Bonus Mission Pack missions from GW1 (Turai Ossa vs Palawa Joko, the Canthan Tengu summit, Saul and the White Mantle).

Marionette boss fight.

Destiny’s edge vs Kralkatorrik (everyone get’s skinned as a DE member and follows an NPC snaff).

Something that explores the Largos more.

Gav.1425

And Tengu stuff. Those are all great ideas.

The point is, they already have so much rich lore available, the stories write themselves or are already written in so many cases.

I’m just one example. I only played vanilla GW1 and I’ll probably never be able to delve into that world, but many people are in my shoes.

Maybe you missed some GW2 events that will never come again. Here’s your shot.

FoTM 100 obviously should be some insane SAB mismatch level. All Mistlocks SAB-related.

Posted by: Fines Juliverine.5846

Fines Juliverine.5846

When fracture was introduced to the game there was a lot more instabilities than the 20 that was introduced leaked …

There was some instability like using a healing skill kills you ore something like that

The 20 introduced was also really funny and sometimes challenging an real fun to lvl up

But now it’s just boring 10 levels the same stupid instabilities … Sometimes destroying the best part of the gameplay ( dodging )

It seems like anet went extremely lazy

[Hs]

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Agree with every point you made.
But it is clear that Anet just doesn’t want to invest in enough resource in fotm to make it better.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Give more meaningful instabilities, not this canned same instab for 10 levels.

It’s fine if we have to deal with two, but make them meaningful, challenging and interactive.

As is the the current ones do none of this and only punish people for using game mechanics.

Gav.1425

Maybe Anet heard us! We had 3 Daily Rec Fracs today! Rejoice!

Posted by: HossDelgado.5832

HossDelgado.5832

Agree with every point you made. The first thing they need to do is the acc. wide agony resist .

994B6730-258C-844B-B4B1-4B40B55F51668D51EC70-0891-4E7F-8F2B-7947D87DD9CC

Posted by: Firebutt.1495

Firebutt.1495

+1 Wow this is like everything i have though of put into words perfectly thanks you for writing this out. I agree with everything you said 100%

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Absolutely, it’s hugely disappointing we’ve not seen anything new in 2 years and 2 ‘reworks’.

As much as I agree and support the idea of new fractals, I think this statement kind of sums up the “no new content” debacle. ANet has a history of smoothing out their underlying systems before releasing new content, and the fact that fractals are still not where they want them to be fundamentally, is likely the reason they’re holding off on any new ones. Just what I think, don’t burn me

Anyway, here’s what I’d like to see, in regards to new instances:

Abaddon (as revealed during Evon/Kiel campaign).

The Trek to Kryta – possibly a gauntlet-style fractal that has players running from the Ruins of Ascalon across the Shiverpeaks.

Some of the adventures detailed in the Guild Wars novels would be very cool, such as the fall of Snaff.

Birthing of the Firstborn

The Cataclysm – Rise of Orr

Arah in its glory

Edit: I want to add that all of OP’s points are awesome.

(edited by Gnat.9405)

Posted by: ZachAttack.3957

ZachAttack.3957

Absolutely, it’s hugely disappointing we’ve not seen anything new in 2 years and 2 ‘reworks’.

As much as I agree and support the idea of new fractals, I think this statement kind of sums up the “no new content” debacle. ANet has a history of smoothing out their underlying systems before releasing new content, and the fact that fractals are still not where they want them to be fundamentally, is likely the reason they’re holding off on any new ones. Just what I think, don’t burn me

Anyway, here’s what I’d like to see, in regards to new instances:

Abaddon (as revealed during Evon/Kiel campaign).

The Trek to Kryta – possibly a gauntlet-style fractal that has players running from the Ruins of Ascalon across the Shiverpeaks.

Some of the adventures detailed in the Guild Wars novels would be very cool, such as the fall of Snaff.

Birthing of the Firstborn

The Cataclysm – Rise of Orr

Arah in its glory

Edit: I want to add that all of OP’s points are awesome.

Agree with you completely. It’s why people think the expansion is content light- systems first, content after.

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

Anet is going in the opposite direction when it comes to making Fractals challenging/enjoyable. Adding HP/Toughness to mobs to needlessly drag out encounters and adding instabilities that are just annoying to play with (no real strategy involved; just inconveniences) are the lazy attempts by Anet to make encounters artificially harder.

I feel weaker and more restricted in my gameplay as I get higher in Fractal levels which is just the wrong way to making Fractals an enjoyable experience.

Anet Fractal design team meeting:
Employee1: How can we make Fractals more fun and challenging?
Employee2: How bout we disable the left turn button so that players can only move right. That will make things difficult!
Employee1: Great idea! We’ll add it as an instability in the next patch.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

(edited by Leodon.1564)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

A lot of the stuff you talked about here OP are things we discussed in the fractal cdi ages ago. I totally agree with what you are saying. I’d much rather stories and lore be fleshed out in Fractals which are permanent content rather than in LS or Living World content which is temporary. With the relative ease with which a Fractal level 1-30 can be accomplished I think it would really benefit the game and we’d actually be able to see stories be finished that ArenaNet never bothered with endings for.

What happened to Livia after she got the scepter of Orr? What about Evennia? I’d love to see a battle in a Fractal centered around the founding of Ebonhawke. Something that takes place in the Wizard’s Tower or centers around the personage of Isgarren. We’d be able to see future events as well. It’s a shame more time hasn’t been dedicated to this but we have had tons of great temporary events that we will never get to see or play again. This game lacks in permanent group content after the dungeon nerf.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: ZERONIX.5873

ZERONIX.5873

I agree I was quite upset we saw heart of thorns and fractals got nothing new. I mean why not make a new rata novus fractal a new sylvari fractal and possibly another. Fractal rewards need to be increased somewhat. Fractals have become my main content since my group only has 5-6 online at a time. A mini dragon boss fractal would be great full of dragon eggs mordemoth minions with a legendary champion dragon fight at end.