Fractals of the Mists - Where's the carrot?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Blackwyn.8127

Blackwyn.8127

Let me start by saying that I love the Dungeons. I love their layouts, their atmosphere and the general gameplay they have to offer. Yes, even the 5 trillion hp non challenging Jellyfish boss has a place in my heart.

But now the actual issue at hand. When I first heard about this, my general idea was: More challenging the higher you get and the better the rewards alike.
But, the rewards are the same and the difficulty just increases. I’m currently in level 13 and the loot / rewards have been pretty much the same as if I were playing level 1 / 2.
Other than the Ascended rings, the rewards are exactly the same as if I were to do level 1 repeatedly. Its main task is to give you Agony Resistance to be able to progress further up the tower. But other than that, they’re just slightly / nonexistent better than current Exotic rings. Not to mention that if you’re a hardcore player, wanting to get as high as possible. Chances are, you’re already equipped with Exotic rings.

So to sum it up. You want to get as high level as possible for no reason whatsoever. Farm certain levels to get Ascended items to be able to reach even higher levels and so on. But for what reason? In reality, you could just farm level 1 and 2 forever and basically just end up with the same loot / rewards you get in level 20 since Agony resistance is pretty much useless below level 10.
Basically, where’s the carrot I’m currently chasing?

As I mentioned earlier, I thought that the higher level you got. The better the rewards / loots. Which would further motivate me to get higher. Like, I would be level 50 and I would be able to have a much higher chance to get Exotics or much more ‘gold’ in chests than what a level 1 guy would get. But that’s not the case at all. Certain other Dungeons have better farm capabilities than what a higher level FotM currently has.

Now to something entirely different. First of all, I loved the /rank thing you could do in GW1 and now in GW2 PvP. I think GW2 PvE deserves to have something similar. Which makes this new Fractal Dungeon(s) ideal for. Why not have something similar to show off the higher you get? People loves to show off their progress and effort.
Like, every 10th level. You get a visual kind of effect you can show off. The higher level, the more impressive and “attracting” it gets. This would certainly not fix the issue I mentioned earlier, but it would certainly motivate further, including myself. Tiny carrot, is better than no carrot.

PS: Mossman, stop ninja stealthing and throwing axes at me. You’ll never make any friends like that.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Indeed, I didnt notice any difference in loot between lvl 1 and 12. Why should I spend a fortune of resources on agony resistance if it will take me 100+ fractals to break even again per piece.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Tres.5427

Tres.5427

Why’s there gotta be a carrot. Yes people can get their rings at level 10 and never do anything harder. Yes I’ve been seeing the same rate of drops 1-20+. No it doesn’t bother me I want to see just how high i can push myself for funzies and that is what I’m chasing.

Posted by: Bladekill.1487

Bladekill.1487

every tier up (1-9, 10-19, etc) seems to be able to drop the next tier of Mists (Vial of Concentrated Mists Essence, Glob of Coagulated Mists Essence, etc). Other than that, there is no carrot. Just like everything else in the game when you are geared up.

Posted by: Hobocop.1508

Hobocop.1508

I want to see how far I can push myself without needing agony resistance.

That’s my carrot.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I don’t like carrot, I prefer tomatoes.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

Answer: To have fun?

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

And when the game isn’t fun anymore?

Piano lessons are looking like more fun that this.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

I think you have it the other way around.
The sense of progression is there on top of the fun you get from playing, not instead of it. People would still play Fractals even if there was no Agony, no difficulty progression, and the loot was always the same – aka as any other dungeon. But since people like the ‘sense of progression’, even if it’s completely artificial, it’s there – on top of the usual stuff, not in its place.
It’s like Assassin’s Creed’s multiplayer’s xp levels, especially the prestige levels. They give you absolutely nothing, but are a way to ‘reward’ you with this sense of progression if you keep playing even after having done everything there is to do.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I assume rewards do get better. However not that much because they are being careful. They can balance once they see how hard it actually is for players.

Posted by: Hobocop.1508

Hobocop.1508

I think you have it the other way around.
The sense of progression is there on top of the fun you get from playing, not instead of it. People would still play Fractals even if there was no Agony, no difficulty progression, and the loot was always the same – aka as any other dungeon. But since people like the ‘sense of progression’, even if it’s completely artificial, it’s there – on top of the usual stuff, not in its place.
It’s like Assassin’s Creed’s multiplayer’s xp levels, especially the prestige levels. They give you absolutely nothing, but are a way to ‘reward’ you with this sense of progression if you keep playing even after having done everything there is to do.

This as well. I mean, it’s nice that I’ll be able to get ascended gear and stuff, but I wouldn’t be playing if I didn’t enjoy the content in the first place.

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

Doing it over n over n over n over n…. n over is not exactly my definition of fun. I’m lvl21 right now and it gets more and more annoying and boring at the same time, if that makes any sense.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

The fact that there’s barely a noticeable difference between 1 and 10, and probably 10 and 20 as well just makes the whole shebang feel very repetitive and grindy.

I mean this leveling doesn’t achieve anything aside from massive segmentation of the player base.

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

Doing it over n over n over n over n…. n over is not exactly my definition of fun. I’m lvl21 right now and it gets more and more annoying and boring at the same time, if that makes any sense.

Here’s the solution: if it’s annoying and boring, don’t do it.
No rewards should be the carrot making you mow through boring stuff. And if it’s not boring, you’ll do it regardless of rewards…

Posted by: Nightshlin.5234

Nightshlin.5234

Higher level fractals have a chance to drop fractal weapons which are unique weapon skins. Might be more items out there that people just haven’t found yet too.