Fractals of the Mists. Why, ArenaNet?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: LieutenantDan.5149

LieutenantDan.5149

First of all, let me say that I love Fractals. Ever since I started running them, they’ve been my favorite piece of end-game content, followed closely by WvW. However, ArenaNet consistently pokes their nose into Fractals, making it less and less fun to play. Why?

Let’s start off with one of the catalysts to this change in attitude towards Fractals not just from myself, but from much of the Fractal players I’ve talked to. Fractured. Fractured was a very hyped update that ended up shafting Fractal runners more than helping them. The most glaring issue (that to my knowledge still hasn’t been addressed officially) is the deletion of effort pre-Fractured. I’m talking about the Fractal level reset guys. Now let me be clear here. I understand why dropping it down to 30 was necessary, it allowed Fractal players to experience the new Mistlock Instability content. Fine, cool, I get it. But what about those players (like myself and countless others) who had reward levels far above 30? We got nothing. No recognition, no compensation, nothing. This was the first of the problems. Then, we have the revamping of the Fractal selections. While at first, this may seem nice, but it made Fractals that much more painful. For one, there are 12 Fractals. By cutting down the selection for the third Fractal, there’s now a 20% chance at the dreaded Dredge fractal than the normal 10% chance (12-2 already completed).

Speaking of the Dredge Fractal, why? Why why why why why do you not listen to the players who must suffer through this content and instead “fix” the very things that make the fractal manageable? I would much rather pull my own teeth out with safety scissors. You ask for player feedback regarding this Fractal, then completely ignore it and make it even worse. There’s been countless suggestions from your players to make the Underground Torture Chamber Facility fractal much more reasonable, why don’t you poke your head around in those topics and take notes.

But what really kills me is the absolute global nerf to the rewards from Fractals. Cool, you added a shiny new tonic and a rune/sigil combination. Neat. But you made weapon skins almost non-existant, and lets not forget about the ascended chests of legend. Pre-Fractured, I could reasonably expect a weapon skin every 4-7 runs of a 20+ and an ascended chest was actually fairly rare while still being obtainable. Now, ever since Fractured, I haven’t seen a SINGLE Fractal skin drop in any of my parties, ever. And I can count on one hand the number of ascended chests I’ve seen. Not to mention, doing 49/50 every day and I’m still getting UNINFUSED RINGS?! WHY?! I’d rather get no reward than an UNINFUSED RING after a level 50 Fractal. And the gold added to the end of Fractals? A joke. A single run if CoF p1 gives 66% of the gold that a level 50 Fractal completion gives, and takes literally a fraction of the time and effort. I’m not saying that you should have to compare the two, but at least make it reasonable? My suggestion? (MIN Reward level or Fractal Level) * 10s, so a level 50 Fractal with a Reward level of 50 would reward 5g. That’s fair for the time and effort sent getting that high.

So to summarize: Fractals need to be re-evaluated by ArenaNet. They got hit hard by the Fractured update, both FotM itself AND the people who enjoyed Fractals. Dredge sucks more with every “fix”, and the rewards are absolute garbage. I’d really appreciate a Dev reply regarding this, but I won’t hold my breath. Anywho, I’d like to hear the thoughts of my other victims fellow Fractal players. Thanks for reading my wall of text

Dragonbrand – Warsworn [WAR]
Whitney Lionheart (Guardian)

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

A CDI about fractals is on Monday.

Should be a good chance to actually get some dev responses about FotM after their prolonged silence during the Fractured patch (and hopefully help us shape future fractal improvements).

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I would much rather pull my own teeth out with safety scissors.

Ewwwwww! No, thanks. I would rather do the Dredge-fractal 10 times in a row than doing this. ^^

Posted by: Zahrexsiiszb.8472

Zahrexsiiszb.8472

Can not agree more with you Lt.Dan. I do not have anybody to play with and these pug fractals are sometimes worse than backstabbing myself irl. Everytime i just cross fingers to not get dredge with such a party. If the dredge fractal would not been so boring, long and KITTENING, it would be fun to play for me. I will write more on Monday CDI post ^^

rewards : golds, yes, if dredge thats like 1h 30m fow whole fractals, sometimes more and only 1g 20s or so …… different story : 400 fractals runs, MOSTLY of 28lvl+ (till 50, then fractured patch) and only got 1 warhorn fractal skin, seriously ? I have never seen ascended weapon chest anyway … got “useful” unfused rings

Posted by: Nonfat.8742

Nonfat.8742

I have over 1k fractal runs (here from the very start of fractals, been playing them and enjoying them for over a year now) and was something above lvl 50 with 2 of my toons before the “fractured patch”. So you could say I have some experience and know what I am talking about.

Making lvls account bound was the smartest thing Anet did. Thank you Anet

What I don’t understand is:

- where are the actual rewards?! (really 1 gold for lvl 50? Seriously now Anet, don’t patronize us)

- where are more fractals?! (the patch was a move into the right direction – now upgrade it!!!)

- Whats with Dredge fractal? My friends and I started to joke around that the devs are evil and are laughing hard. Now I am starting to belive that to be a fact.
Come on, we all know it, dredge (regarding to other fractals) takes WAY to much time to complete. Only thing I can say in it’s defense is that at least we get those “heavy miner bags”. But that’s not a reason to leave the fractal as it is. URGENT rework needed asap.

[Piken Square]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If they removed the dredge car (or at least did something creative with it rather than a time sink), cut the console time by 20%, and reduced the needed bombs for the door down to 5, I would find that a reasonable change. Anything more is pushing it.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

The purpose was to make a huge, unrewarding time-sink to keep hardcore, crazy, masochistic players into the game in the hope of some ridiculously low chance of getting a skin. What for? Bcuz omg I feel so cool I got 1 sword so cool mang. Tokenz suckz lulul I want to feel cool cuz I got a skin and you ddin’t.
Working as intended. In their book. The fact that people still do it proves they’re right in not rewarding it.
Woah, woah, wait a minute. I’ve just realised something. Did you actually expect to be rewarded in this game? Here, take this blue, this green and this slap on the face.
You’re going to thank me for it and keep running fractals anyway. Right?

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Hey OP. So many words! Great post!
You make a lot of valid yet innovative points!
I was not aware people are unhappy the three main things you listed.
First one. It’s obvious that some people might be a bit upset(still??) about their progress being deleted but as you said it was for the best. How would they experience those amazingly thought-out instabilities otherwise? For sure they wouldn’t just spam 38 and 49 until getting to 50, right? That would be..crazy.
Second. Dredge? Why are they not fun? It’s a really interesting mechanic for mobs to respawn endlessly. It also requires communication so is it really that bad? Improving the social aspect is a big mmo focus that games rarely get right.
Third one. What is rewarding or not is quite subjective. All in all , isn’t the experience itself the reward? It’s the journey not the destination. Just like in real life.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Hey OP. So many words! Great post!
You make a lot of valid yet innovative points!
I was not aware people are unhappy the three main things you listed.
First one. It’s obvious that some people might be a bit upset(still??) about their progress being deleted but as you said it was for the best. How would they experience those amazingly thought-out instabilities otherwise? For sure they wouldn’t just spam 38 and 49 until getting to 50, right? That would be..crazy.
Second. Dredge? Why are they not fun? It’s a really interesting mechanic for mobs to respawn endlessly. It also requires communication so is it really that bad? Improving the social aspect is a big mmo focus that games rarely get right.
Third one. What is rewarding or not is quite subjective. All in all , isn’t the experience itself the reward? It’s the journey not the destination. Just like in real life.

Man, you forgot the leaderboard.

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

Some random guy might pop out saying they absolutely love dredge fractal, and that 99.999% of the population needs to learn how to play and bring a thief or a mesmer and guardian to the party… Im surprised that person hasn’t posted yet.

Posted by: noobgood.8762

noobgood.8762

Fractals. Dredge. Fractals. Clowncars.

Posted by: KingZ.2314

KingZ.2314

the reward system is horrible. I keep receiving rings that I dont want. For a guard, I would like to see ptv/zerker/knight. I have 25 relics that I got in 25+ and dont know what to do with them. why not let the player choose the type of reward they want?

(edited by KingZ.2314)

Posted by: Valentine.9732

Valentine.9732

anet also told us we would get a fractal weapon container that would allow you to choose a skin you actually wanted instead of getting harpoons and tridents (if the skins even drop).
might just stop doing fractals until then instead of being utterly disappointed at getting another uninfused solaria at the end of every 49 run.

Burger – [Sx]

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I love the Dredge fractal.

99.999% of the population needs to learn how to play. Just bring a thief, a mesmer or a guardian to the party.

No, actually delete Dredge fractal instead.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant