Fractals, you're doing it wrong.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Its already clear that mostly everyone ( not me ) hates the RNG that fractals has and thus wishes the rewards to not be as rare and more on a reward tree system.

Sarah I understand where you’re coming from, but it is possible to simultaneously add guaranteed rewards without making the skins any less rare and prestigious.

Exactly, Personally it took me 3 years and countless hours farming some things back in EQ, since then I’ve always hated RNG. Now I was also lucky with some drops, getting them on my first kill while others spent the same time I did camping those other 3 year long hunts. I just like the idea of being able to slowly progress towards something over having to pray to RNGesus for luck.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Its already clear that mostly everyone ( not me ) hates the RNG that fractals has and thus wishes the rewards to not be as rare and more on a reward tree system.

Sarah I understand where you’re coming from, but it is possible to simultaneously add guaranteed rewards without making the skins any less rare and prestigious.

Exactly, Personally it took me 3 years and countless hours farming some things back in EQ, since then I’ve always hated RNG. Now I was also lucky with some drops, getting them on my first kill while others spent the same time I did camping those other 3 year long hunts. I just like the idea of being able to slowly progress towards something over having to pray to RNGesus for luck.

Yeah. Make the journey as long and tedious as you want. Make it so on average you’ll get all the skins before you have enough relics to buy them. But make the end goal guaranteed.

Don’t care if it’s 1,000 relics for a skin, at least then you’d be guaranteed a reward at the end of the tunnel if RNG hasn’t blessed you along the way.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

3 tonics in 940 attempts. .00319

King have a spreadsheet too.

laokoko.7403

Don’t care if it’s 1,000 relics for a skin, at least then you’d be guaranteed a reward at the end of the tunnel if RNG hasn’t blessed you along the way.

Obviously dont’ care if it’s 1,000 relics. Most people run 2 fractal a day could finish it in 2 month. And people’ll keep complaining fractal drop is bad.

not to mention most people only want a few piece anyway, and fractal is out for 2 years so even casual players have a bunch.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Obviously dont’ care if it’s 1,000 relics. Most people run 2 fractal a day could finish it in 2 month. And people’ll keep complaining fractal drop is bad.

Sorry, I meant pristine relics.

laokoko.7403

I’ll have a good laugh if Anet make it 1000 pristine relics. I was thinking more like 100 daily 50 fractal. Sounds more reasonable.

So after 100 days you’ll get a skin of your choosing if you run fractal 50 every day.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I’ll have a good laugh if Anet make it 1000 pristine relics. I was thinking more like 100 daily 50 fractal. Sounds more reasonable.

So after 100 days you’ll get a skin of your choosing if you run fractal 50 every day.

Don’t really care about the number, just about the principle.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Don’t really care about the number, just about the principle.

This, I mean honestly I run fractals for the fun, I just hate RNG with a deep burning passion

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

They should just put everything that can drop form the daily available from a vendor for pristines just like rings.

Something like:

250- tonic
100- skin
75- armor chest (coat/pants)
50- armor chest (gloves/boots/shoulders/helms)

This way people could have a direct way of earning the loot instead of doing it days on end hoping for RNG luck to get that one thing you wanted. And being able to get armors with pristines makes sense since lvl 50 is pretty much the only place where you have to have ascended armor pieces.

Also there should be a sink for normal relics like being able to buy crafting material bags, bags of gear and so on. Doing so would actually make fractals profitable considering it is the “hardest” pve end game content.

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/sug-Fractal-skin-crafting-salv-asc-rings going to link this here. Sure its easier to just put them up for sale, but this gives a use for rings and adds a crafting item that can be used for other things as well.

Posted by: Kainis.9475

Kainis.9475

The truth is, everyone that got lucky with 19 fractal weapon skins and a tonic is going to have a massive outcry if it becomes accessible without the roll of the dice. There’s no pleasing everybody here.

Fractals are a neglected part of the game from the developers. I don’t know why that is. The worst bugs in fractals stayed in for months despite being well documented. There haven’t been any real changes to them since the dredge improvements. Guild Wars doesn’t have an endgame as defined by most online RPGs, I think fractals are the closest to a PvE endgame there is. It could be argued that the world bosses are, but those are 5 – 15 minute fights that are easy to get into and out of. Fractals are an actual grind to get the high end rewards.

Early evidence from Heart of Thorns proves out that SOMETHING is going to change about fractals, as they have their own mastery. Whatever is planned might be the reason we’re not seeing the changes we’ve so desperately wanted for so long.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I just hope the content shift doesn’t mean 3-4+ hour raids on a 3-5 day schedule.

One of the big appeals about GW2 is gathering with a group of friends and getting some quick fun, not scheduling your life around a videogame.

I hope the group content will at least not exceed a 2 hour affair.

One way they could go about it is forget the dumb thrash mob packs. Traversing through a bunch of them easily adds at least half an hour to the raid itself.

But I really don’t want GW2 to become like other MMO’s “endgame content”. Endgame content usually stands in for artificially lengthened content through various means of gating that I don’t care to suffer through again.

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

The truth is, everyone that got lucky with 19 fractal weapon skins and a tonic is going to have a massive outcry if it becomes accessible without the roll of the dice. There’s no pleasing everybody here.

I dont have all the skins or the tonic and I would still be part of the massive outcry

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I dont have all the skins or the tonic and I would still be part of the massive outcry

Why? I don’t see a problem with 1000 pristine relics giving access to a skin or something. Honestly I would argue 500 is enough. There is no prestige associated with the skins or the fractal tonic. I’ve ran with a guy once who only started doing 50s that week and he got the tonic (and yes used it to show us so it wasn’t chat link code). At least with legendaries there is a way to grind them out even if it takes a few months. At 1000 relics that’s like at least 667 hours of fractal grind if your average run is 40 mins long (about the time of 28 RL days or double that if you would account for sleeping… Also 40 mins is generous for most people). If you keep getting fractal spearguns I think you deserve at least one skin of your choosing for that much time and effort. Everyone is entitled to an opinion I’m just not sure the reasoning behind not having some system like this is place. For the record I don’t have the tonic and I’m missing only the pistol and spear fractal skins (which I don’t really care about either)

And side note the system was already changed with Fractured. When skin drop rates hit a all time low. Then they kept bugging the drop rates for everything multiple times and it took them months and months to fix. So even the RNG system has been changed already multiple times and sometimes even in error….

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

500 pristine means 500 days unless you’re doing multiple scales a day, when most people don’t even do besides 50 and 40. Even with 2 scales that’s almost a year of grinding fractals, it’s a stupid grind.

Why should a tonic or a simple skin take longer to obtain than an actual legendary weapon?

I don’t even get what’s with people’s obsession with time gating rewards, it’s awful.

If you beat the content, you should get the rewards, period. Introduce achievements/challenges to be met in the fractals themselves if you want to make it so that it’s harder to get carried to a weapon (will change very little, guilds will just sell the achievement runs just like Challenge modes and heroic mounts are sold in WoW).

Time gating crap is a terrible concept to borrow, it was already bad enough with Mawdrey and the stupid plates.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

500 pristine means 500 days unless you’re doing multiple scales a day, when most people don’t even do besides 50 and 40. Even with 2 scales that’s almost a year of grinding fractals, it’s a stupid grind.

Why should a tonic or a simple skin take longer to obtain than an actual legendary weapon?

Yep this is very true. I do on average about two fractals a day since soon after they were released. I crafted Eternity before I got the GS skin. I crated Bolt before I got the sword. I crafted Kudzu before I got the Longbow… All through dungeon/champ/world boss grinding (still no precursor drops… The RNG loves me)

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

I still prefer getting a box letting you choose your fractal weapon instead of just letting you buy them. Maybe that would make them less exclusive though, but I like getting things i want as drops not just having to work towards them with tokens. A little bit of rng makes the game more fun for me.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I would say fractal skins would have more prestige if gained through 500 pristine relics. Thats certainly more dedication than getting lucky on your first few fractal runs. :>

Posted by: creepmatic.9435

creepmatic.9435

Personally I like RNG better than a boring grind. It what makes me do my daily 50/40’s. Because when I do get something I wanted, the excitement is 10x opposed to grinding it. You know that element of surprise. I know there is people that haven’t gotten nothing worthy of their time while others won the lottery too soon.

My favorite way to approach this would be to be able to open up with 25 – 35 pristine relics a favor track for a desired skin. And each day you finish a lvl 20, 30, 40, 50 fractal your chance for getting that skin is raised by 2, 3, 4 and 5% and it adds up each day until you get the desired skin that you opened the favor for. While in the mean time you can get other skins like a normal day or ascended chests as well.

For example, right now i’m missing 6 skins from the whole collection, But I want the axe skin for my warrior the most. I spend ~35 pristines to open up the favor for Axe.
I manage to do today a lvl 50 and a 40. By the end of the day my Axe reward track registers a +9% chance to get it next. If I don’t get axe next time I do a 50 and a 40 it goes by +18 chance for the next time and so on. Until I finally get my Axe and the favor track closes.

Think of it like a progressive RNG.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

I’d love if fractal skins dont drop directly.
Just drop a fracftal weapon box that allows to pick a skin.

That would still make them somewhat rare, but you’d actually be happy to get a box rather than mace skin #23 while you farm for the sword.

But then again Anet really loves RNG so I dont see that happening.

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Fractal weapon boxes are already in the game for a year now. They drop from lvl51.

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Just ask the ppl from the fractal leaderboard. You can always rely on them.
leaderboards.guildwars2.com
wait, something happened to that
It wasn't released :o

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

We do know we’re eventually getting the Abaddon fractal at some point. When we voted for Thermanova they promised that regardless of which we voted for we’d eventually get both.

I think the only update we’re getting for HoT is maybe some reward tweaks, maybe we’ll be able to grind higher frac lvls again (hopefully without reset this time >_>) and 1 new fractal (Abaddon) which will likely be a 3rd frac.

Awesome for an update; pathetic for an expansion release.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

We do know we’re eventually getting the Abaddon fractal at some point. When we voted for Thermanova they promised that regardless of which we voted for we’d eventually get both.

I recall them saying exactly the opposite: that they would definitely not create the fractal that lost.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I recall them saying exactly the opposite: that they would definitely not create the fractal that lost.

^This is true.