Future Dungeons

Future Dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

What do you want from dungeons in the future?
Be as detailed as like.
Would you want unique encounters? Special rewards? A certain setting or theme?
A need to utilize varied tactics, new types of bosses?
Go to town.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Future Dungeons

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

I want them to be full of bosses with 600 units diameter hitboxes so I can spam fiery rush without walls.

Defeated by packet loss.

(edited by TKiller.6829)

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Errant.1942

Errant.1942

I’d rather list what I don’t want from future dungeons.

• Unskippable cutscenes: I don’t care how pretty they are, the fact that you’re assuming I want to watch them once is cute, because I don’t. The fact that you assume I’d want to watch them every time I do your dungeon, without giving me an option to cop out, is insulting.
  • Unskippable dialogue: by the same token, I’m not interested in Caithe’s PMS-y whining about Scarlet. Nor am I interested in what Graham and Rox think about anything. I hate NPC’s and what they have to say. The fact that I’m losing time every time I run a dungeon because you thought I was moved by your story is quite frustrating.
  • Time gates: time gating can be done well in small doses. Arah p3 ritual (to some degree, it’s not good, but it isn’t bad either), CoF p3 defend, Snowblind campfire… All those things are acceptable time gates. They are a semi-engaging encounter that doesn’t take all too long. Examples of bad time gates: Arah p4 Grenth, AC p3 burrows… I don’t want to be forced to spend a fixed amount of time that is frustratingly long doing a boring event.
  • Too many kitten puzzles: case in point: Aetherpath.
  • Losing progress: never forget.
  • Bosses with lame immunity mechanics: Southsun “dungeon”, anyone?
  • Unblockable attacks: I don’t mind all too much that they made Malrona unreflectable, I get why they did it, but it frustrates me to no end that you can’t even block the attacks anymore. This is just an example, the new Fractals are full of attacks that are unblockable. I don’t like to be forced to memorize every kitten move in your game that can or can’t be blocked. We need consistency, not some random “will my aegis save me this time, or will I be kittened?” bullkitten.
  • Undodgeable attacks: just, no.
  • More gear gates: I liked that you could progress in old fractals without proper AR, because only on Maw did you need it, and your buddies could save you. Right now, if you want to progress, you better have the proper AR, or you’re not going to be able to progress. The fact that passive effects like AR are favored over skilled gameplay is frankly insulting.

That’s most of the stuff that comes to mind right now. Could be forgetting something.

Not so Bright | Death and Taxes [DnT]

(edited by Errant.1942)

Future Dungeons

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

A long corridor filled with champion mobs.

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I’d like a cross between an open world PvE zone and a dungeon, so you can go where you want to start event chains but everything is group based.

Future Dungeons

TKiller.6829

All 600 units wide. And columns to LoS them behind those in groups of 5.

Defeated by packet loss.

Future Dungeons

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

All 600 units wide. And columns to LoS them behind those in groups of 5.

And every column acts as an ele conjure dispenser, just like the stealth fountain thingy in dredge fractal.

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

I’d rather list what I don’t want from future dungeons.

• Unskippable cutscenes: I don’t care how pretty they are, the fact that you’re assuming I want to watch them once is cute, because I don’t. The fact that you assume I’d want to watch them every time I do your dungeon, without giving me an option to cop out, is insulting.
  • Unskippable dialogue: by the same token, I’m not interested in Caithe’s PMS-y whining about Scarlet. Nor am I interested in what Graham and Rox think about anything. I hate NPC’s and what they have to say. The fact that I’m losing time every time I run a dungeon because you thought I was moved by your story is quite frustrating.
  • Time gates: time gating can be done well in small doses. Arah p3 ritual (to some degree, it’s not good, but it isn’t bad either), CoF p3 defend, Snowblind campfire… All those things are acceptable time gates. They are a semi-engaging encounter that doesn’t take all too long. Examples of bad time gates: Arah p4 Grenth, AC p3 burrows… I don’t want to be forced to spend a fixed amount of time that is frustratingly long doing a boring event.
  • Too many kitten puzzles: case in point: Aetherpath.
  • Losing progress: never forget.
  • Bosses with lame immunity mechanics: Southsun “dungeon”, anyone?
  • Unblockable attacks: I don’t mind all too much that they made Malrona unreflectable, I get why they did it, but it frustrates me to no end that you can’t even block the attacks anymore. This is just an example, the new Fractals are full of attacks that are unblockable. I don’t like to be forced to memorize every kitten move in your game that can or can’t be blocked. We need consistency, not some random “will my aegis save me this time, or will I be kittened?” bullkitten.
  • More gear gates: I liked that you could progress in old fractals without proper AR, because only on Maw did you need it, and your buddies could save you. Right now, if you want to progress, you better have the proper AR, or you’re not going to be able to progress. The fact that passive effects like AR are favored over skilled gameplay is frankly insulting.

That’s most of the stuff that comes to mind right now. Could be forgetting something.

+1 for you Sir.

However i would add that we don’t need any more NPC’s in dungeons. Spire, Varra and similar characters cause more trouble than they should.

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

So so far just QoL changes? Nothing new?

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Future Dungeons

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

… snip …

… snip …

Agree. And the undodgeable attacks point just shows that anet dont even consider necro a class anymore (they can only dodge to avoid).

Future Dungeons

TKiller.6829

Well I’ve been thinking about some concepts and attack patterns that would have us do something sort of new with old resources, but none of those are nearly polished so I prefer to keep them to myself.

Defeated by packet loss.

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

I want a dungeon that’s not too long, but is still engaging, challenging, with interesting new mechanics and enemy design, as well as an interesting story. It’d also be nice if it had a meaningful reward and achievements.
Also, I’d want it to not have any “skippable” parts (but also no meaningless trash mob armies) and “stackable” fights, to keep things interesting (and kitten off certain people).

I’m asking for a bit too much, I’d say

Future Dungeons

TKiller.6829

Rather for something too vague.

Defeated by packet loss.

Future Dungeons

Dalanor.5387

So so far just QoL changes? Nothing new?

These are kinda important changes. Maybe nerf the skritt out of FGS. It would be like fresh air and i would like to see how it affects pug gameplay. =3 Maybe a lot more player will abandon the dungeons and it won’t ruin the economy anymore. -wink wink-

Future Dungeons

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

I want a dungeon that’s not too long, but is still engaging, challenging, with interesting new mechanics and enemy design, as well as an interesting story. It’d also be nice if it had a meaningful reward and achievements.
Also, I’d want it to not have any “skippable” parts (but also no meaningless trash mob armies) and “stackable” fights, to keep things interesting (and kitten off certain people).

So what, people will be forced to spread out and range bosses? Is that somehow more interesting than the party grouping up and meleeing together?

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Future Dungeons

Posted by: dominik.9721

dominik.9721

I think you just have a different definition of “stacking”.
There is a big difference between staying melee while you have to act precisely and “stacking” in a corner, doing nothing except of dpsing trash / bosses with fgs.

Grimkram [sS]

(edited by dominik.9721)

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

What do you want from dungeons in the future?

New skins, new minipets, new crafting recipes (craftable minis anyone? ), new tonics and/or toys to play with .
(yes, I know, I’m a filthy casual at heart )

On the mechanics part, I prefer mobs that aren’t easy to brute-force your way through but go down painlessly if you pay attention to them. I’ve seen so many pug groups go down to for example Leurent and his fellow knight in TA forward because no stability/aegis/blind/evade/whatever, while in groups that do pay attention to that the whole fight is quick and easy.

I also wouldn’t mind a puzzle (or even two) in each dungeon path (a dose of ta aetherpath for each new dungeon … just not the whole dungeon, as it severely limits the number of people I can talk into going in there with me ). I actually enjoy that kind of thing, but I can understand that many people don’t .

What I don’t enjoy and would rather not see in the future is events where you have to kite around (or hide from) enemies during a time gate (adds at the accolyte event in cof1 come to mind).

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

So what, people will be forced to spread out and range bosses? Is that somehow more interesting than the party grouping up and meleeing together?

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear; I meant stacking in corners and LoSing enemies, not simply meleeing.

Future Dungeons

TKiller.6829

Careful ’round the corners buddy, I can hear people reaching for their bingo boards.

Defeated by packet loss.

Future Dungeons

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Bosses with more skills. I actually like the new clear orange AoE thing and imo they should use it more, as on my bad PC guardian and mesmer particle effects just completely blind me from attacks. But making telegraphs more obvious will make bosses that only have like 3 skills way too easy. At least push that up to 5 or something, have several phazes, etc. They should really take a good look at lupicus, the grawl shaman and archdiviner before creating new bosses.

What I’d also like are fights that keep to the rules of the game. I’m tired of unreflectable, unblockable or even undodgeable attacks. Make your bosses difficult enough so we need all of these, instead of making boring fights more annoying by making them exceptions to the rule.

Future Dungeons

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

This boss essentially – http://youtu.be/OlC2lJeHrGc?t=3m55s

More Party based enemy groups ala gw1 (when it makes sense) have a war+necro+guardian enemy patrol and have them use more skills. More gw1 skills used by enemy mobs to fk with us. A touch ranger running into the middle of a group and destroying it by life steal would be amusing.

as for QoL

A boss outline. So when particle effects go crazy. You can see an outline of what the boss is doing at all times.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Future Dungeons

Dalanor.5387

A boss outline. So when particle effects go crazy. You can see an outline of what the boss is doing at all times.

Turn on post post-processing.

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I want an Open World PvE-dungeon, similar to Tower of Nightmares, with the concept expanded. (On that note, better rewards for clearing the whole thing…)

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’d like bosses with stupid, cheesy gimmicks for fun.

I’d also like bosses to be a lot more mobile. Most bosses currently have two modes of movement:

#1: Stand still and shoot.
#2: Chase player with melee attacks.

And I know they can do better. There’s a ton of auto movement skills in the game, and there is no reason why we can’t have an evasive boss that will dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge. I imagine that when the bosses mechanic is “objectively hard to hit” then there will actually be a challenge to beating them.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

cut scenes close my windows and interupt whatever it was i was doing… this is a kitten rude game… same for that path voting thing… how would you like it if i held something right in front of your face while you were trying to do something? huh Anet how would you like it? rude game

what is with the mobs in CM ? cant knock them down and they are strangely immune to stuff … how about they have boons of stability that come and go so we can knock them down but need strip boons or pay attention to them

stuff like that

how about every party member has a job to do and if they dont do it the party dies…. that should be interesting

a bunch of other stuff like the people above mentioned

Future Dungeons

Posted by: Ve Salu Sigtyr.4807

Ve Salu Sigtyr.4807

I like the idea of the Tower of Nightmares, I could totally get behind some open world dungeoning.

Even if it wasn’t open I just like the Tower idea, like the Tower of Druagga sorta thing. I’d like to see bosses that have more than 4 whole brain cells too. So many of them feel childishly simple I’ve actually started looking to other games with well thought out encounters.

I’d love to see in game knowledge sources instead of outsourcing everything and its mother to the wiki, or having to spend hours trolling the forums looking for explanations of mechanics. WoW had a great freaking idea (and I really don’t say that often) when they dropped the dungeon guide book in game. I know some people probably wouldn’t read it but I think it would just be a cool thing to have, specially if they add freiken specialized loot. I’m tired of fighting bosses and getting broken lock picks.

I guess TL;DR I just want more. everything feels so bleh. Half done, polished beautifully but still not complete.