dlonie.6547

Sprinkles Forum Flakes into the Forum Aquarium

Eat, forum bug, eat.

General Dungeon Discussion Thread - Part 1

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Cavendish.2168

Cavendish.2168

hi,
so I made my ascended armor for engi before I was aware the meta was assassin’s. I made a set of berserker with scholar runes. I dont have the resources currently to make another set, so should I just replace my runes with ranger rune?

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Take assassin’s trinkets and weapons, and you’ll need only 2 pieces of assassin to get the maximum crit chance without food.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

Yeah use the assassins earrings from CM / Arah dungeoneer unlock as well as assassins weapons and you’ll be fine.

Really the difference between assassins and berserker is tiny. You would probably never notice a difference in gameplay.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Posted by: Cavendish.2168

Cavendish.2168

Getting assassin rifle and the earring from arah will be easy. Im not a big fan of cm though so i doubt ill ever complete that. Thanks for response.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Guardian- “Just because I use staff doesnt mean Ill give you swiftness”

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

I’m coming from the game discussion subforum.. The things I’ve seen…

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

DonQuack.9025

Bowie agrees wholeheartedly

Attachments:

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

Had a pug rage from a fractal 29 today. It was on the Reactor fractal. We portaled to the center switch at the start. Their final two lines of chat were:

“ah, you mean stupid exploit instead of running the instance correctly”
“gl”

After that, they apparently blocked us.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Had a pug rage from a fractal 29 today. It was on the Reactor fractal. We portaled to the center switch at the start. Their final two lines of chat were:

“gl”

…do you mean just blinking up from the bottom?

Zui.9245

…do you mean just blinking up from the bottom?

Correct. Blinking up from the bottom is apparently an awful “exploit” worthy of rage and blocking.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Psh, dirty exploiter, I saw you using portal to quickly deal with the chanters in Cliffside yesterday too! Play it the right way and run geez.

And what was up with that scrub guardian getting a fractal scepter in that 19 you carried him through last night anyways?

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Lol never would of expected that to be called an exploit.

I suppose the reason is because you skipped some mobs.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Best kitty ever:

We’re looking at a different want to offer CDIs. Fully as welcoming of involvement, but perhaps with a few modifications to normal posts that will allow Chris and his team to more efficiently kitten player input.

Reminds me of those old “Unnecessary Censorship” gags, lol.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Like these?

On a side note.
Blizzard gives us some e-sport potential out of the blue.
Can we have proper PvE now?

dlonie.6547

Like these?

Oh sweet jesus. dying irl xD

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

“gl”

Funny. I was in that party. I told my guild about that and they all had a good laugh.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Like these?

Many plus ones.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Like these?

Omg LOL

The conversation with the Jotun lmfao

Zui.9245

If anyone is aware of how to reliably reproduce (or just avoid) the warrior sword block bug, please post: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Warrior-Sword-Block-Bug/

Posted by: Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

If anyone is aware of how to reliably reproduce (or just avoid) the warrior sword block bug, please post: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Warrior-Sword-Block-Bug/

It activates faster if you completly stand still.
Placébo’s cause wonders!
I didn’t watch the video, just try it.

Main Elementalist:Train Of Thought
Alt Warrior: Burning Paris
Best Ele build EU.

(edited by Cries Of Sorrow.5864)

Zui.9245

If you watch the video, you’ll notice I hit the “5” button, and while the game registered the button was pressed, the skill did not activate. I had to press the “5” button a second time after I realized the skill was not going to activate. Based on past experience with this bug, if I didn’t hit the “5” button a second time, the skill would not have activated at all.

I’ll try a few solos later tonight to see if I can stand completely still after dodging, wait for the block to definitely start, and then run out without taking damage, and if so, if doing this (apparently) prevents the bug from occurring. This would be fantastic

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

so i started mountain goating in arah recently. got a friend to show me some stuff and how it is done. I saw raptor jesus with my own eyes, it was so majestic.

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

Arah p1, where to Ancient Ooze is. Why do people yell at me for killing the Orrian Turrets on the other side of the room? Does killing it trigger apocalypse?

Jerus.4350

Arah p1, where to Ancient Ooze is. Why do people yell at me for killing the Orrian Turrets on the other side of the room? Does killing it trigger apocalypse?

Because making that run a little easier and preventing someone from getting in combat from one of those things is obviously wasting time and dumb!

I always want to as well but no one ever seems to want to take the extra 10seconds.

Posted by: Laulajatar.4253

Laulajatar.4253

Everything in Arah p1 triggers an apocalypse, I think.

I just had the best CoF p1 run ever. We killed all the oozes from the bonus event to the entrance of p3 and then fooled around on the bridge of doom. And there are many oozes. Killing everything gets a whole new meaning there xD

Attachments:

This is no signature.
Cloud of Sparrows [CoS]

dlonie.6547

I hate to see that. When are they ever going to nerf that kitten bridge?

Posted by: Laulajatar.4253

Laulajatar.4253

My Mes was hanging around mid-air having a seizure after I blinked on it. Last time I had such amazing physics was in Fallout 3 when this mutant spun across the sky ...

Please don’t nerf!

This is no signature.
Cloud of Sparrows [CoS]

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

“Ancient Nite : Halp im still ok”

RIP Ancient nite, never5get

I realllllly miss Lilith, and winter and all the others

Jerus.4350

“Ancient Nite : Halp im still ok”

RIP Ancient nite, never5get

I realllllly miss Lilith, and winter and all the others

:( yeah, sucks that people disappear, but completely understandable too.

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

This is the first RPG I’ve ever played where I didn’t give a flying kitten about the story. Is that wrong? I just don’t think the writing/storytelling is good enough to get me to care.

Oh well. Got my first lupi solo on thief the other day. A lot more fun than on warrior. I finally realized that playing other classes makes you a better player. Huh.

Hope all my fellow yanks have a good day off tomorrow.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

This is the first RPG I’ve ever played where I didn’t give a flying kitten about the story. Is that wrong? I just don’t think the writing/storytelling is good enough to get me to care.

Oh well. Got my first lupi solo on thief the other day. A lot more fun than on warrior. I finally realized that playing other classes makes you a better player. Huh.

Did you ever play GW1? Guild Wars doesn’t know how to pace story let alone develop a proper climax.

Zhaitan is a good example of a way to kill your storytelling.

I remember pre-release when Ree Soesbee was stumping for the game and talking about all these branches of storytelling we would have. Well a few months after release and now years she’s nowhere to be seen.

These very developers have made it clear on the forums that talking to the community is not part of their job description. What an awful attitude to have, when all other leading games make it part of the job description that developers need to collaborate with the community.

The problem with GW2 is that the best story came from the racial and guild storylines early on. And guess what, all those got forgotten and now everybody gets the same boring story instead of their personalized one.

GW2 was a total bait and switch of a game.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

Only if you bought the game for the story.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Jerus.4350

Now that is funny…day off… hahaha

Was talking to a buddy the other day though, he got his girlfriend to start playing, who in turn got basically her whole family to start playing. They apparently love doing the story mode stuff (personal story/living story) but even their first time through everything they’re skipping cutscenes. Kinda says it all right there if you ask me.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Did you buy it for the PvE endgame?

DonQuack.9025

To be fair I bought it because it had the words Guild Wars in it because I loved Guild Wars 1.

HHR LostProphet.4801

I bought it because my friends were buying it. They stopped playing after two weaks, I’m still here. Despite the (partially) awful story and the… “endgame”.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Today i joined lvl 36 fractal. 3 warrs and a guard and me as ele. Swamp first as usual, passed smooth. Second fractal hammer one. Killed the boss, a warr kept “gimme might ele” so i tried, i run s/f, i gave might as i could but people doesn’t seem to be aware of cd. I tought to myself: why you don’t ask guard for might? So i carried the hammer. To first set of seals.

Then, the same warr whispered: pls reroll on warrior on guard.

I asked why?

Then he said: just do it.

I sayed: no, really tell me why.

Then someone asked in party chat: why??

In split second i understood the same warr is trying to kick me.

I typed in party chat: so, you are kicking me eh?

…loading screen….

I was mad. I wanted a reason. Whatever reason i would except it.

I whispered the guy who kicked me: really? Really?
have fun.

5 min later i get a mail.

He said: sorry
and send me 50 silvers.

I got the urge to write something back, but i just returned it.

Please, don’t do that. At least give a reason.

spoj.9672

I bought it because of gw1. And the main reason i enjoyed gw1 was because of the lore and the story. That said games are rarely very good at being immersive so its not really a surprise that long term players stay for the gameplay rather than the story. I initially disliked gw2 combat and build system because it was so different from gw1.

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

Well, tbh, this is my first MMO. The last RPG that I played before I started playing this was The Last Story by Hironobu Sakaguchi, and I was raised on the Final Fantasy’s and games of the calibur, so coming into this game, I genuinely expected something of the sort, especially after watching Angry Joe’s review of the game where he compared it favorably to Mass Effect and Dragon Age (which I love).

dlonie.6547

I originally bought the game for my wife as a present. She’s been really big into RPGs for years because she loves an immersive story. I had asked another gamer friend if GW2 had a good story and he told me “Oh hell yeah.”

kittening troll.

Anyway, I develop scientific 3D analysis tools for a living and once I saw the amazing graphics and rendering performance, I ended up buying a copy, too. We had fun running around open world, grabbing vistas (<3 vistas), etc, while slowly realizing….this game’s story is terrible. Linear, uninteresting, unimmersive (OMG those terrible, terrible PS cutscenes. They aren’t even looking at each other!).

Edited to add: To be fair, we were coming from single player RPGs. I’ve tried out a few other MMOs, and GW2’s story is better than a lot of them. ESO was better, but that’s the only one I’ve found that really does an amazing job with NPC acting, etc.

I ended up loving the active defense and creative support mechanics in the combat system and joined a laid back dungeon guild. I’m still here for social reasons (which are dwindling, unfortunately, these mass exoduses get worse with each wave of people leaving) and because nothing else comes close to the fun I have in combat here.

My wife? She’s bouncing between ESO and EQ2. I’d love to give ESO another try at some point, too. They did a fantastic job of storytelling (for an MMO, mind you) and the combat is pretty decent. It just felt like they launched it too soon, it was rather unpolished at launch.

Oh well. I really hope they either put in some challenge combat opportunities (which I think is fair to say why we’re all here), or at least start making the story interesting. I mean, the GW2 books tell some pretty compelling stories. What happened in game…I have no idea. They need to start putting some effort into keeping their players around

I’d love to see this game back to where it was six months after launch, before everything got stale.

Le sigh.

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

Add me to the boat of story sucks in all aspects within GW2. I was pretty engaged in GW1 story; every character appealed to me, even the ones you had to hunt down for those zaishen quest. I remember looking up their character info on wiki.

GW2 story makes me feel like the people who wrote this stuff are brain-dead. But I think that is what they’re going for unfortunately. Brain-dead story telling for brain-dead players written by brain-dead writers. Circle-jerk if you will.

To add to that, I only started playing GW1 about a year before i started playing GW2 so no chance of “rose-colored glasses” on my end. Such a disappointment. At least I still like doing dungeons.

dlonie.6547

One of the things that really erks me, and this isn’t GW2 specific, is how easy playing a story has become. Think of the Priory “puzzle” in the latest LS.

Before it started, I thought, “Cool! I’ll actually have to think a bit, read a bit of lore, and use my brain to progress!”

Then I triggered the puzzle. Nope. Just walk to the green dot and press F. Here’s your reward.

>.<

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

Doing LS in this game is like eating food that I hate. I give it a taste once in awhile to check to see if my tastes have changed. I mean, so many people liking this must mean there is something to it right?

Instant regret. Still tastes like kitten.

HHR LostProphet.4801

Would you say the LS season 2 has improved compared to season 1 and the PS? And how much?

And yes, I could post this question in the lore and story subforum but the answers from the players around there are not the ones I’m interested in.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

spoj.9672

Personally i think the living story is vastly superior to most of the original personal story. The exception being the starting missions up until you pick a faction. Theres nothing wrong with living story if you just consider it as an extension to the personal story. However most people want proper challenging endgame stuff and they expect LS to fill that role. Which is kind of stupid.

If you look at it objectively and ignore the snail pace release cycle its pretty solid content. Especially this latest season.

That doesnt change the fact that I would prefer them to develop fractals, new dungeons and other engame content.

(edited by spoj.9672)

dlonie.6547

What spoj said. LS2 is much better than LS1, and the bosses have some more interesting mechanics as opposed to just being HP sponges. LS is easily soloable, and I can’t imagine any benefit to running it in a group (Well, other than not losing your instance if you DC :P). I haven’t tried the achieves, maybe those would be better for group play?

It’s still not very replayable, but it is getting better.

For me, replayable means I can fail. It means I need my teammates to be on the ball, or we’ll fail. It means there’s a challenge that needs to be overcome, that learning has to take place and I’ll notice an improvement the 30th time I play it vs. the first. Something like Arah…

LS can be solo’d in a glass build with no problem on the first try. I understand that they need that content for players who don’t want a challenge, and LS is the perfect place to put it. I just want something harder, where I need to know my class to survive :-/

(edited by dlonie.6547)

spoj.9672

Its not designed to be replayable anyway. Its like the personal story. You do it for the story and the one time rewards. Only reason to revisit is for story purposes. The only fault with this is the achievements tied to the episodes. Especially when the instance in question involves lengthy dialogues.

dlonie.6547

Its not designed to be replayable anyway. Its like the personal story. You do it for the story and the one time rewards. Only reason to revisit is for story purposes. The only fault with this is the achievements tied to the episodes. Especially when the instance in question involves lengthy dialogues.

Oh, I totally agree.

But they lock the achievements so you have to replay it to get them, and the story journal was their response to “We need more replayable content.”

It’s horsekitten, I tell you.

Jerus.4350

I feel like the biggest problem with GW2 story is the idea of a single antagonist in every situation. There is never a question of who’s behind it. In some of the smaller story lines they basically just flat out tell you, and in the bigger ones… it’s a dragon, always a dragon, ohh wait scarlet, ok something different… oohh nope, dragon…

I look back to something like EQ which has a very rich storyline that I enjoyed and that’s the big difference. EQ had many well developed antagonists. Sometimes it was the dragons. Often it was some godly dispute where someone went too far. Other times it was this mysterious figure Mayong who we still don’t really understand his full story but learn more and more about him through the 15 years of the game. Then of course random other things like newly discovered races and even extra-dimensional refugees who had been hiding on the planet for centuries (wasn’t a huge fan of that but they spun it out to be pretty cool in the end)

And the best part of that game compared to many titles today… no freakin cutscenes! god, why do I need to watch characters talk? Just put it in text and let me read, or put it in the background audio. They did a little better job on that this episode than the last dry top stuff.