General Dungeon Discussion Thread - Part 1

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Does DA:O have any graphics mods? Like ENB or custom textures and stuff?

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

There was a mod that sharpened textures on a lot of things but I’m not sure if it’s compatible with the latest patch.

There’s tons of graphical mods for faces, there’s reskins of weps/armours, there’s brand new weapons and armours entirely, there’s weapon, armour and hairstyle conversions from DA2 and TW2 as well for DA:O (I’m using a hairstyle from the witcher on my char right now actually)

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I haven’t played with mods (I hate using them on a first playthrough…) but the graphics are pretty decent vanilla, especially given the game’s age. Very pretty world.

Plus I have a doggy: GaryLasereyes

Lindbur.2537

eyes light up instantly

I checked. ENBSeries is available for DA:O. I think I could go mod happy on this game then… huehuehue.

Whether the graphical details can match that of Skyrim with ENB, hmm… I’ll give it a shot.

Edit: It has its own Nexus site… perfect.

A remnant of times past.

(edited by Lindbur.2537)

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

Understandable. I disliked Fallout 3+ because of the change from 1/2

I need to buy you a drink one of these days. At least now I know I’m not alone out there.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I’m probably going to get hanged but… I never liked the gameplay of DA or ME.

What’s wrong with ME? Just play it like a FPS.

dlonie.6547

Ahem

Lupi is hard, kholer killed my pug, LOL bearbow, stacking == esploits!, zerker or GTFO, elitists don’t like having fun.

Ok, we should be good for another page or so.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Ahem

Lupi is hard, kholer killed my pug, LOL bearbow, stacking == esploits!, zerker or GTFO, elitists don’t like having fun.

You forgot spider queen rant #796196798.

dlonie.6547

lol “Well, I can reflect spider queen’s poison projectiles with WoR. L2P.” There

What didn’t you folks like about FO 3+? I’ve only played 3+, so I’m not really sure what changed. I know the old ones weren’t first person, but that’s about it. I’ve always just liked the kittened-up, twisted plotlines

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Camera modes are a pretty big deal in play. That’s what turned me off of WoW when I first tried it, instantly I missed my first person camera, but over the years I’ve had to accept it’s a thing of the past for MMOs and many RPGs.

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

Understandable. I disliked Fallout 3+ because of the change from 1/2

I need to buy you a drink one of these days. At least now I know I’m not alone out there.

If we aren’t in the majority I’d say there’s no point living.

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

Ahem

Speaking of bear-bows:

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I bought DA:O ultimate edition on steam but after 3 hours so far it’s been meh for me. I’m sure it gets a lot better as you progress though. I love how there’s like no lag whatsover which surprised and pleased me. I chose mage, and that Jowan NPC at the start was annoying. I wanted to kick his kitten so bad for whining constantly! xD

I will have to keep playing it to see how the combat changes— I chose hard mode cause why not, hope that wasn’t a mistake lmao.

Anywho… QueueAge hype!

If anyone wants to try, the NA server I will be playing on is Saphira and the EU one is Kyprosa (I think that’s where all the rT guys are… started with a K that’s all I remember).

Super long queues atm though.

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Silberfisch.3046

Btw. I have a ranger question about this new meta thingy with the longbow: Presuming that there is a fight that takes a bit longer, how often do you go back to longbow for the vulnerability? Or would you simply ditch the longbow in those cases and work with for example sword+horn, sword+axe/dagger (for the extra dodge), greatsword or some such?

Because going back to longbow every 10 seconds for the rapidfire and then camping longbow AA for 7 seconds feels weird. And if you only go back to the longbow every 30 seconds for when barrage is ready the vulnerability stacking is somewhat lacklustre in a prolonged fight.

And before someone says something about stuff shouldn’t live that long anyway: There are these weird things called fractals for example, where you actually can’t burn down some mobs that fast. Or if you run with a lot of non-meta players.

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

If you’re ever taking longbow it is only to start and end the fight, rest of the time you’re camping your sword. As for pugging fractals, a lot of the time you have to kite and max melee so you’re better off with GS swap.

Silberfisch.3046

Thanks Tom, and good. Now I don’t feel like a total moron because I argued that swithing midfight to longbow sounds like a weird/not so great idea even with the new rapid fire fun time. Unless you intend to go ranged for whatever reason.
I had a discussion about that with someone and simply couldn’t wrap my head around the idea that being stuck on longbow AA about 40% of the time is a good thing.

Still limits the vulnerability provided by the ranger in prolonged fights to what maul (if GS) and whirling defense can provide. Oh well, at least frost spirit is back.

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

Btw. I have a ranger question about this new meta thingy with the longbow: Presuming that there is a fight that takes a bit longer, how often do you go back to longbow for the vulnerability? Or would you simply ditch the longbow in those cases and work with for example sword+horn, sword+axe/dagger (for the extra dodge), greatsword or some such?

Because going back to longbow every 10 seconds for the rapidfire and then camping longbow AA for 7 seconds feels weird. And if you only go back to the longbow every 30 seconds for when barrage is ready the vulnerability stacking is somewhat lacklustre in a prolonged fight.

And before someone says something about stuff shouldn’t live that long anyway: There are these weird things called fractals for example, where you actually can’t burn down some mobs that fast. Or if you run with a lot of non-meta players.

You could trait Quick Draw instead to get 2 x RF and Barrage when you swap to LB before you got back to sword.

Whether this is a DPS increase or not I’m not exactly sure yet lol.

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

I guess the main problem I would see with traiting for quick draw would be the losing on the pet being capped at 25 might. So have to see if it would be justified.

With good enough crit rate, barrage + rapid fire could instantly cap pet to 25 might, switching to sword could mantain a good amount.

(edited by Gyler.8150)

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

I guess the main problem I would see with traiting for quick draw would be the losing on the pet being capped at 25 might. So have to see if it would be justified.

With good enough crit rate, barrage + rapid fire could instantly cap pet to 25 might, switching to sword could mantain a good amount.

Fortifying bond or RaO + QZ , Barrage/RF/Hunter’s Call(before getting in combat) = cap pet might stacks,

(edited by Izaya.2906)

Lindbur.2537

Been trawling through my old haunt on the Runescape forums. Not exactly Christmas morning, but there’s a much higher proportion of brain dead idiots there… and it makes for good fun in the morning.

’tis a shame the place is policed by more mods than in here.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Hm… Didn’t the ANet staff/Regina want to close all suggestion-threads yesterday?

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Yes, close ALL the suggestions and feedback threads!

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Yes, close ALL the suggestions and feedback threads!

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength

:D

Nah, they actually talked about that with us when the kittenstorm went on and we created that deadline. While I don’t like it we can’t blame them.

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

Last night ran coe3 with an odd party comp – mesmer, necro, engi, ranger, and a bannerkitten. Managed to kill the evolved destroyer before the shield even started blinking. So much for the “3rd world classes do crap dps” popular belief going around XD

Tom Yzf.5872

did you use tw? or did you save it for alpha?

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

Yep I blew my TW, which afaik increases dps by about 40% when I did calculations a few months ago.

(edited by frifox.5283)

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Last night ran coe3 with an odd party comp – mesmer, necro, engi, ranger, and a bannerkitten. Managed to kill the evolved destroyer before the shield even started blinking. So much for the “3rd world classes do crap dps” popular belief going around XD

Between the Engi, Necro, and Ranger 25 vuln should be a guarantee easy.

Engi burst is pretty great, I’m honestly curious to see the new DPS figures on them when people get rotations down but I’ve been experimenting with mine a bit and I’m pretty happy with them. Could even get decent might stacks with flamethrower/bombkit in between the grenades.

Necro, again not sure on the math, but dropping 2 wells, warhorn5, focus4, ds5, then going lich should be pretty respectable burst.

Ranger I think has shown to be pretty darn good in the burst category as well, and frostspotter being fixed, yeah it has a spot.

Bannerkitten I assume is not a cat but a warrior, and I think they’ve always been part of the meta haven’t they?

Then mesmer and time warp, yeah… plus mesmer ftw in COE

I’m not completely in the know on all the stuff, but personally speaking my qualms with ranger have always been the unreliability of the sword auto attack and that GS is a dps loss, other than that they have always seemed decent. Necros just lack the utility niche to get them a spot in meta. Engi I think has been accepted especially now with no FGS.

I will say it makes me smile thinking the necro was the “DPS” while the rest were throwing more supportive/buff type things at the group (assuming they were running the builds I’d imagine them running).

(edited by Jerus.4350)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

On the subject of low level players not able to find groups -

http://s4.postimg.org/7coteimgd/screenshot_2014_09_16.png level 31 theif
55s later 1st group member joins
3m.10s after start Party is full of Ghost rapists

attempt no.2
http://s4.postimg.org/lx5w9chf1/screenshot_2014_09_16.png level 32 thief
2m.30s later 2 people join
3m.55s after start Party is full of Ghost rapists.

Mileage may vary but I have watched the lfg for a story group to pop up for 5+ mins. While I can and did create one that filled up in less than 4. I therefore deduce that I am bored and should probably be doing something more constructive with my time.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

O.o looks like things are on the move =]

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Can anyone please explain me what’s going on around those forums during the last couple of days. Is it just me being a kitten jerk or are we actually getting close to non-sense topics? If it’s the former I guess I should take a break and go back to getting my butt kicked by Marlona.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

hands Winter a cake to soothe his nerves

Go play the game. The forums have gone down the drain recently, to the point where even reading them during work hours makes me want to hit things with all the stupidity displayed in most every subforum. I whish I had my game at work to do a bit of chatting and keeping entertained on the side …

dlonie.6547

Hey guys, did you know that they’ve added 6 new dungeons to the game already?

Ban me now please. I can’t take much more of this. (read the back and forth with that guy. It’s really astounding O.o)

DonQuack.9025

I scratched my eyes out, put them back in, and wished I didnt.

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

Hey guys, did you know that they’ve added 6 new dungeons to the game already?

Ban me now please. I can’t take much more of this. (read the back and forth with that guy. It’s really astounding O.o)

We should create a community forum for people who just can’t even anymore.

Also I can see the 3 people I genuinely hate the most on the internet in that thread.

(edited by Trice.4598)

DonQuack.9025

It seems gw2 is chock full of dungeons. Simply bursting at the seams.

Tom Yzf.5872

That red post doesn’t mean anything, just an opinion (even if an ill-informed one). I wouldn’t place much merit in it. Just reply and move on.

dlonie.6547

It’s not that she said it that’s bothering me.

It’s that this is how they appear to be treating it. Like clicking through LS “epsiodes” counts as endgame.

They admitted it: they shut down PvP, WvW, and dungeons and put all of the responsibilities for these areas onto one team. Also threw skill balance in for them to take care of. The team is called the “Competitive Team” for christsake. It sure doesn’t sound like they were originally supposed to be responsible for all of that. Regina even said: all they have resources for are bugfixes.

The appearance is that they had a lot of devs working to build all sorts of content for a big launch. After that, they laid them off (Hrouda sounded pretty surprised…) and squished all of these different areas on to one team to maintain them and make an easy living off of serving up LS only.

Is it tin foil hat time, or does this make sense to anyone else? It feels stupidly obvious to me.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Is it tin foil hat time, or does this make sense to anyone else? It feels stupidly obvious to me.

What makes sense is they said quite clearly they are not currently working on more dungeons, as the large majority of players will never do them. They also said they are working on expansion-sized content, and that only a small portion of the dev team is working on Living Story.

You don’t have to believe anything the devs say, but do they really have a reason to weave some elaborate lie and deceive all of us into continuing to play a no-subscription game against our wills?

I’d like to see more instanced 5-man content as much as the next guy, but there’s no sense getting worked up about it, or what other people are saying about it either.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

What makes sense is they said quite clearly they are not currently working on more dungeons, as the large majority of players will never do them. They also said they are working on expansion-sized content.

You don’t have to believe anything the devs say, but do they really have a reason to weave some elaborate lie and deceive all of us into continuing to play a no-subscription game?

I’d like to see more instanced 5-man content as much as the next guy, but there’s no sense getting worked up about it, or what other people are saying about it either.

I have doubt about this whole “people don’t do dungeons” claim, some dude made a survey with over 3000 people. The result were shocking as dungeon were the most important with a huge margin, I know survey aren’t 100% accurate but when 60-70% claim they want more dungeon and that they are the most important part in the game, I don’t see how they can claim that people don’t do dungeon.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

You got your totally new dungeons aka fractals so stop complaining ~

Snow Crows [SC]

dlonie.6547

Quoted “for great wisdom!”

Sarahfull.4930

Q.Q Everyone just leave fractals alone!
fractals didn’t do anything Q.Q

sorry bad reference.. Ill sit in my corner now..

dlonie.6547

Since he’s not here to do it himself… ;-)

http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

Silberfisch.3046

Quoted “for great wisdom!”

The amount of wtf? prompting posts by Arenanet staff has certainly gone up dramatically for me in the last few weeks.
It would appear wisdom is not for me to be gained here.

gives Sarah a hug

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

I haven’t played with mods (I hate using them on a first playthrough…) but the graphics are pretty decent vanilla, especially given the game’s age. Very pretty world.

Plus I have a doggy: GaryLasereyes

I just finished my playthrough and I’ve gotta say I do love the final part of the game so much :p

watching the bad- kitten dwarves in black plate made me kinda kick myself for not making one so if I play again i’m absolutely doing it

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

dlonie.6547

Ugh, I need to go play that this weekend. I got sucked into that thread about endgame for long enough. For some reason, this little bit of hope I have for PvE just won’t die…

dlonie.6547

What makes sense is they said quite clearly they are not currently working on more dungeons, as the large majority of players will never do them. They also said they are working on expansion-sized content, and that only a small portion of the dev team is working on Living Story.

Do you have a link? I don’t think I’ve seen anything about that before (the expansion bit, not the dungeons-are-dead bit ;-)). If it’s the old link I’m thinking of, I had the impression that the “expansion-sized-content” ended up referring to Dry Top :-/

You don’t have to believe anything the devs say, but do they really have a reason to weave some elaborate lie and deceive all of us into continuing to play a no-subscription game against our wills?

You’re right. They have said they aren’t going to be adding more dungeon, for some reason I’m just clinging to this hope that they’ll change their minds now that they seem to be listening a little more.

Sarahfull.4930

gives Sarah a hug

Aww how adorable. Thank you

@dlonie.6547 ohh so you do still play eh? Well if your on Na you must come fractal with me! If I need a reason, its bascicly cause I wanta run with all you forum friends

Sarah

dlonie.6547

:-D

I get on every now and then, I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m on — I’ve been meaning to get back into fractals since they fixed Cliffside. It’s just that logging on is…depressing at times. That, and OMG DA:O HAS AWESOME STORY AND NPCS AND DEPTH!!! \(^.^)/

But absolutely, I need to see if fractals can keep me entertained. I was planning to start running with Lilith since she joined the guild I’m in, but, yeah.

Sarahfull.4930

Funny thing that, she is also a forum friend right?

• just being cheacky, remember I said I wanted to run with all the forum friends *