Gigantic lupicus is too challenging

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Stigma.7869

Stigma.7869

Is this a troll thread?

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

Soloing Lupicus is the closest to “high-difficult progression” I’ve found since I moved from WoW to this permanently. Still only to ~60%, but it’s definitely not TOO hard.

Granted, I’ve never done it with an actual group. I’ve never done Arah explorable with a group period, actually.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

Posted by: Fury.6281

Fury.6281

I give it 2 days at most after todays (Jan 28th) patch before Lupicus is solo’ed again. Reckless dodge being fixed on warriors makes the fight more difficult, and it will take time to get used to not dodging out of the bubble, but with things like shield block, endure pain, balanced stance, and precise dodges within the bubble to avoid the attack, it can still be done.

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

Gigantic Lupicus is easy. Actually, Arah in general is easy. It’s just tedious. Also, I love Gigantic Lupicus.

Wait till you pug it. People apparently don’t carry ranged weapons these days.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I give it 2 days at most after todays (Jan 28th) patch before Lupicus is solo’ed again. Reckless dodge being fixed on warriors makes the fight more difficult, and it will take time to get used to not dodging out of the bubble, but with things like shield block, endure pain, balanced stance, and precise dodges within the bubble to avoid the attack, it can still be done.

I did it without reckless but it’s obviously longer because you need to equip defensive skills instead of pure offensive. ~6 minutes solo will not be possible, that’s obvious. Though anet apparently fixed dodge bug this patch so you could turn autoattack on and stop abusing your keyboard. I welcome this patch, Weth won’t be able to cheat ;D

What’s wrong with that? I don’t use ranged weapons because they have lower dps.

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Gigantic Lupicus is easy. Actually, Arah in general is easy. It’s just tedious. Also, I love Gigantic Lupicus.

Never happened for me. Besides, if they didn’t have a ranged weapon I’d just call off the stack method and get everyone to dodge the grubs. If it’s only one person they can just sit at the back of the room, it’s what you have to do with thieves with 25 points in shadow arts anyway…

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

DancingPenguins.9875

Never happened for me. Besides, if they didn’t have a ranged weapon I’d just call off the stack method and get everyone to dodge the grubs. If it’s only one person they can just sit at the back of the room, it’s what you have to do with thieves with 25 points in shadow arts anyway…

Not an issue for phase 1, problem is people trying to melee the boss on phase and not surviving because of it, repeatedly. You’d think after a few tries and they’d stop doing that, but nope, meleeing away at the boss and dies on the first aoe barrage.

Posted by: Kumakichi.2583

Kumakichi.2583

I’m hoping for the plush Lupicus backpack soon!

haviz.1340

I’m hoping for the plush Lupicus backpack soon!

Oh, the puppy! Anet needs to see this suggestion.

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Not an issue for phase 1, problem is people trying to melee the boss on phase and not surviving because of it, repeatedly. You’d think after a few tries and they’d stop doing that, but nope, meleeing away at the boss and dies on the first aoe barrage.

The only thing stopping you from meleeing in phase 2 is that he darts away from you and you’ll spend 70% of your time running to catch up with him. It’s entirely possible and potentially even easier to melee lupi during phase 3. I’d point to Wethospu’s solo video but people would probably just make claims of “lmao he’s a warrior unbalanced doesn’t coutn xDD”.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Brangien.7462

Brangien.7462

I think lupi is fine save for the phase 2 aoe mechanics which at first is confusing and I agree needs Ironing out, not nerfed, but correctly showing the red dots aoe.

His AoE circles shoot slow wiggly things of death.

1. The closer you are the faster you will get hit by the AoE Spam.
2. Further from Lupi you can count a second or 2 before dodging as it has to wiggles its death wave at you.

If you find you’re going to eat it and dodge fails…from the Phase 2/3 AoE consider these.

Warriors can pop Shield#5 block/Endure Pain

Guardians can Pop Shield #5/Wall of reflection/Renewed Focus/#5 focus/Sword#3

Thieves can pop a Smoke Screen and stand in it to avoid damage/Pistolwhip invulnerability/ D/P #3 teleport back from some attacks

Mesmers can use #2 sword attack/F4 invulnerability/Hide inside Feedback/Leap back with Staff

Rangers can use “Protect me”, #3shortbow evade, #4 greatsword block (I Think this will absorb all projectiles for its duration)

Elementalists can use Arcane Shielding, Mistform, #4 focus that reflects projectiles/#5focus that gives invulnerability/#3 Staff that reflects./Air projectile block etc.

and so forth, there is no reason to always die (of course going downed can’t be helped sometimes) in the aoe attacks if your dodging didn’t time right.

Of course…after reading this, you can prolly shut down Lupi’s aoe with
5Guardians timing wall of reflection and melee zerg him to death as well as other party make ups that have projectile blocks hah.

(edited by Brangien.7462)

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

If you down, you might die. I personally don’t mind this change to wp TOO much, as it just means that people need to adjust their strategies when fighting lupi, but not everyone has responses that can address Lupi as well as the other classes.

For you “And So Forth”, perhaps you didn’t mean to do this, but you left out necros who only really have deathshroud, which is not always able to be brought back up quickly enough to take Lupi’s attacks. Engineers were also left out, but they have better ways of getting out. (Leaps, reflect, Invuln, etc.)

I personally run a guardian when I do Arah, and being able to cover all the attacks I can’t dodge with aegis is extremely easier than trying to do Lupi with a necro.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

I love Giganticus Lupicus. All of the final bosses in Dungeon’s should have 3 phase mechanics like him! In fact, we need more bosses like him in general.

My sympathies go out to anyone who decides to pug this boss. I can see it getting pretty messy with a pick up group, especially an inexperienced one. Certain classes make this fight easier too, such as Guardians. Then again, that could be said about most Dungeons.

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

Lupi is the best boss ever. If anything, make him harder.

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

Lupi is great. He isn’t excruciatingly difficult but you do need to at least kind of know what you’re doing. I like that wearing Arah gear tells people “I have at least a very basic level of competence”. This game needs more stuff like that.

Posted by: MattyjRulz.2840

MattyjRulz.2840

It’s not about lupi being challenging or not, I might like him to be harder, but I have in the past found the aoe circles in phase two to be unpredictable, and this has lead to a lot of frustration, because I’m not convinced it’s a learn to play issue.

Because I play an acrobatic thief, with not much in the way of being able to take a hit, I at the very least pop my evade heal, and two dodges so I can be sure I wont be hit, if it looks really bad, I use Roll for Initiative as well.

DancingPenguins.9875

It’s not about lupi being challenging or not, I might like him to be harder, but I have in the past found the aoe circles in phase two to be unpredictable, and this has lead to a lot of frustration, because I’m not convinced it’s a learn to play issue.

Because I play an acrobatic thief, with not much in the way of being able to take a hit, I at the very least pop my evade heal, and two dodges so I can be sure I wont be hit, if it looks really bad, I use Roll for Initiative as well.

That IS a learn to play issue. The AoE is slow enough that you can simply walk out of them in sequence most of the time without taking a hit anyway.

Posted by: Sacred.8973

Sacred.8973

Arah is very doable, even p4 is now average at best.
Instead of being a bad player and wanting things nerfed… try becoming a better player.

I rly wish gw 2 had challenging pve.

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

Why would you bump a 2 months old thread?

Posted by: Sacred.8973

Sacred.8973

Guess pullnointer is a necromancer.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If a berserker warrior can solo him then there is no need to nerf him. Watch the videos, keep trying, and learn to dodge.

Posted by: VoiceOfUnreason.5976

VoiceOfUnreason.5976

Please kittening god, Lupicus is one of the few legitimate bosses in this game, don’t nerf him. Don’t even touch him. He’s perfect. He has the right amount of phases, the phases are different enough, he escalates in the middle of the fight, tapers down towards the end (but still remains a threat if players get lazy or stop paying attention), and he gives you a great feeling of accomplishment for clearing him. This is an END GAME BOSS. This is the kind of boss that challenges everything you’ve learned and challenges your group to do more than just wail around on the keyboard, to actually work together and…what’s that word…? Oh right, COMMUNICATE. Really, this boss is so good and should serve as a milestone for player skill in PVE for this game. If he gets nerfed…I really have no hope for future dungeons in this game.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Lupicus is fine if you consider he’s an endgame boss. I just want to not have to walk 2 minutes to retry him.

VoiceOfUnreason.5976

Seeing as how they’ve now added a system preventing players from respawn-rushing bosses, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have a closer waypoint to Lupicus.

Posted by: Oega Boogabooga.6207

Oega Boogabooga.6207

make him easier? hell no, its one of the few challanges that remain.

hell if anything make a fight where you have to fight 3 of em at the same time WHILE he uses agony from lvl 50 grade fractals and dwayna freezing you!

random characters here

MattyjRulz.2840

I’ve toyed to play Arah, but every time I come to lupicus, my team gets wiped, and decides to leave. The simple way to fix this, is fixing the aoe attack, that’s does in phase 2. The aoe does simple not hit where the red circles show. It’s so frustrating, when you really want Arah gear.
Please make the developers see this.

It’s not about lupi being too challenging fyi, the whole point of this is the aoes in phase two seem unpredictable, I’ve in the past walked right out of a red circle, a foot length right out of the circle and still been hit for massive damage, I think people are too used to seeing QQ comments, and right now without reading, bashing people for their input. I do like lupi as a boss, he is challenging and that’s nice, but that’s not what this is about.

EDIT: the thread name is kinda misleading, read what the op sais

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

Why would you bump a 2 months old thread?

coz i feel like it

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

You do realise that Lupicus has more than the charge and the AoE attacks on Phase 2, right? He will hit you with his “green magic impaler” directly (so no red circle AoE indication) that you must try to dodge as well.

I first thought I was getting hit outside the AoE area too, until I got hit by one of those when he was not AoEing the place. That is when I realised he has a targeted attack.

(edited by Rash.6514)

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Not all circles get drawn when you have multiple players (3 seemed to be enough).

VoiceOfUnreason.5976

I’ve toyed to play Arah, but every time I come to lupicus, my team gets wiped, and decides to leave. The simple way to fix this, is fixing the aoe attack, that’s does in phase 2. The aoe does simple not hit where the red circles show. It’s so frustrating, when you really want Arah gear.

It’s not about lupi being too challenging fyi, the whole point of this is the aoes in phase two seem unpredictable, I’ve in the past walked right out of a red circle, a foot length right out of the circle and still been hit for massive damage, I think people are too used to seeing QQ comments, and right now without reading, bashing people for their input. I do like lupi as a boss, he is challenging and that’s nice, but that’s not what this is about.

That mass aoe Lupicus does is functioning exactly as intended, it’s just misunderstood. Lupicus fires numerous shots that travel in the air or along the ground to the designated red circle landing points. However the bullets themselves have collision, so if you are standing in the path of the bullets that travel along the ground, you WILL get hit regardless of whether or not you were at its landing point. And yes, he’s also still firing his targeted attacks while doing his aoe.

MattyjRulz.2840

That mass aoe Lupicus does is functioning exactly as intended, it’s just misunderstood. Lupicus fires numerous shots that travel in the air or along the ground to the designated red circle landing points. However the bullets themselves have collision, so if you are standing in the path of the bullets that travel along the ground, you WILL get hit regardless of whether or not you were at its landing point. And yes, he’s also still firing his targeted attacks while doing his aoe.

Oh wow, I didn’t realise, I always just assumed they were red circles, if you’re in them that’s how you’ll get hit, just getting out of the circles will save you.

Thank you good sir !

And yeah that other attack in phase two where he throws a green thing at you, I always watch lupi so that’s never been too much of a problem, I can see that happening.

(edited by MattyjRulz.2840)

Wethospu.6437

Step 3: realize that circles are actually missing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMnT_T5mAFQ).
When I was alone I never got hit outside of circle (about 30 Frenzied Blasts). With team of 3, pretty much every other attack.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

MattyjRulz.2840

Step 3: realize that circles are actually missing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMnT_T5mAFQ).
When I was alone I never got hit outside of circle (about 30 Frenzied Blasts). With team of 3, pretty much every other attack.

Nice video, I think this was my problem all along, but this clearly shows the broken attack.
lol to those calling it a learn to play problem, hate people that just resort to that, chances are if enough people have an issue, something’s broken.
And you uploaded this vid on the 12th of Feb, this year, do you know if it’s been a problem since release? They should really look into this >.<

haviz.1340

What a noob! L2p.

Wethospu.6437

Nice video, I think this was my problem all along, but this clearly shows the broken attack.
lol to those calling it a learn to play problem, hate people that just resort to that, chances are if enough people have an issue, something’s broken.
And you uploaded this vid on the 12th of Feb, this year, do you know if it’s been a problem since release? They should really look into this >.<

Yeah, it’s been like that since release. I have reported it (along with few other bugs on that fight) few weeks ago and Robert said he passed info to testing team.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

GL isn’t broken or overpowered or whatever; he’s just the right difficulty. ANet just desperately need to fix the missing red circles on his second phase aoe attack. Once that gets done, it’ll be perfect.

I wonder if Rob has actually pursued any of those bugs yet, though. It’s been a long time since they were initially reported.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: IamDuddits.1692

IamDuddits.1692

I wasn’t suppose to melee Lupi? The more you know.

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

Im surprised people don’t carry ranged weapons because when i PUG thats all i see.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

About the red circles in his scatter AoE, it seems like they’re placed fine, but the attack seems to be a projectile. So that it hits you if you’re very close to a circle along the interior of his mass attack. Basically, the projectiles seem to have a slanting trajectory that your character can intercept if it stands too close.

I hope that makes sense.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

The red circles during phase 2 are projectile-based. They jump from red circle to red circle and if you are in the path of the traveling projectile, you will be hit. One way of dealing with that is, move all the way out to the wall.

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

Look like the projectiles travel in a sine wave pattern with decreasing peak toward the red circles as it final destinations. That means you could be hit anywhere if you can’t clear the lowest peak of the sine wave. At 0:28 frame, Weth was hit by a projectile intended for the circle behind him.
So the safest area probably are those circle gaps closest to Lupi because the projectiles originated from his hands will travel downward in a descending peak patterns.
Thanks for the video, Weth.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

haviz.1340

About the red circles in his scatter AoE, it seems like they’re placed fine, but the attack seems to be a projectile. So that it hits you if you’re very close to a circle along the interior of his mass attack. Basically, the projectiles seem to have a slanting trajectory that your character can intercept if it stands too close.

I hope that makes sense.

That noob Wethospu showed its not the case.

Posted by: IamDuddits.1692

IamDuddits.1692

Im surprised people don’t carry ranged weapons because when i PUG thats all i see.

I also play Guardian which are really lacking in the ranged department. Scepter is awful in my opinion and Staff is hardly ranged. If I’m going to attack it with Staff I may as well just melee him with greatsword.

Wethospu.6437

Look like the projectiles travel in a sine wave pattern with decreasing peak toward the red circles as it final destinations. That means you could be hit anywhere if you can’t clear the lowest peak of the sine wave. At 0:28 frame, Weth was hit by a projectile intended for the circle behind him.
So the safest area probably are those circle gaps closest to Lupi because the projectiles originated from his hands will travel downward in a descending peak patterns.
Thanks for the video, Weth.

There’s one circle behind me. And there’s like 3 projectiles.

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

There’s one circle behind me. And there’s like 3 projectiles.

Yes, you are right. There are 4 projectiles coming your way. You were hit by the 1st. The next two landed in the circle behind you but the 4th one hit you when you down, in between 2 circles. Either their math is pretty bad or Lupi ran out of his red color pencil.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

lupi is a good boss; doesn’t need a buff nor a nerf.

good bosses are the ones that require you change utilities to combat that specific boss, even if those utilities aren’t part of your build.

Also I’ve been pugging arah a ton lately at worst I had a group that wiped 2 or 3 times on lupi, other than that all my pugs have killed it on first try.

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

I hope that makes sense.

That noob Wethospu showed its not the case.

I’m not sure why you feel the need to insult anyone. But I was just sharing what I’ve seen. I give the thread as much consideration as any whining thread about game difficulty – almost none.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Posted by: Knight Kravitz.5162

Knight Kravitz.5162

Lol this game needs more bosses like this, if you complain about one piece of hard content then that’s sad. There’s other dungeons out there for you. Leave us alone on the only challenge this game gives us

GUILD WARS 1 VETERAN

Posted by: Master Archer Nente.9284

Master Archer Nente.9284

Lupicus is one of the best boss fights in this game… and sadly it is easy.

Character: Kyou Fujibayashi ~Mesmer
Guilds: Tears of the Ascended [ToA] | Legion of Dhuum[LoD]

Posted by: BartBacardi.5371

BartBacardi.5371

Yeah Lupicus is perfect.

I doubt he was meant to be cuddled to dead. So I don’t think he will be nerfed. And to be honest I doubt that when they fix his red circles in phase 2 people will stop complain or start killing him then all of a sudden.

Phase 2 is very short and when someone get’s downed from an AOE attack just get him up and continue. Biggest problem I see people make when pugging Arah is, when someone get’s downed every one rushes towards him like a school of frenzied piranhas. Downed player still has aggro. Lupicus throws in an attack and a miracle took place! 4 people downed all of a sudden wondering and shouting in chat “WTF just happened”. Just makes me laugh :p