Giganticus Lupicus Guardian Melee Video Guide

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

Posted by: Danireathorn.2814

Danireathorn.2814

Definitely my favorite GL vid/guide. So that’s what you were doing when you were “away” in Arah! Amazing job.

[LFG]

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Phase 1 was good, Phase 2 messed up but Phase 3 amazing.
GJ obal.

10/25/0/25/10?

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Obal is pretty good. This guide was pretty amazing to see.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

obal.3218

Phase 1 was good, Phase 2 messed up but Phase 3 amazing.
GJ obal.

10/25/0/25/10?

I did this

20 II + VII
30 II + X + XI
10 II
10 VI

Armor – Berserker + Scholar
Trinket – Berserker Ascended
Sword/Focus – Berserker + Energy + Undead Slaying
Greatsword – Berserker + Energy
Sweet and spicy butternut squash soup + undead potion

I was a bit stressed due to things going on in the background so I messed up a bit in phase 2 and 1 was a little slow since I was trying to drag him to the wall but he was being fickle. I might try it again for a speed kill kind of thing with slightly different traits and bane signet instead of retreat but 1/3 of the time from my originals was satisfying enough for me now. I’ll probably just wait until the rest of the ascended gear comes out though.

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

He does so much damage to himself on WoR. Wish I’d thought of that.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

Posted by: Cymric.7368

Cymric.7368

I had been meleeing him on both my guardian and my mesmer and I have a question about his AoE in p2. On my mesmer, my feedback will go off perfectly protecting the whole group from damage. However, when my guardian use shield of absorption, damage still seems to get through even when the shield is up. I can see my shield bubble up, but my health still drops while I am inside.

I am not sure what the problem is, wrong timing? Faster/slower? Or should I not use shield and double dodge instead?

Posted by: Chryzo.8906

Chryzo.8906

usually, feedback is instantaneous, the shield actually has an animation of growing bigger. In that interval, projectiles can get through and you get damaged. However if you launch at the start of the animation, it should be ok.

In the same way, WoR is a bit screwy depending on where the projectiles should land ^^ since the projectiles can actually jump over WoR or it can land in front of it and do the damage. It takes some practices either way

Nice Video Obal

obal.3218

I had been meleeing him on both my guardian and my mesmer and I have a question about his AoE in p2. On my mesmer, my feedback will go off perfectly protecting the whole group from damage. However, when my guardian use shield of absorption, damage still seems to get through even when the shield is up. I can see my shield bubble up, but my health still drops while I am inside.

I am not sure what the problem is, wrong timing? Faster/slower? Or should I not use shield and double dodge instead?

SoA is a bad option for the reasons Chryzo. It is a very unreliable skill. You could use sword/shield + sword/focus for sheild #5. If you use shield #5 when he does the hugging animation before the red circles appear it will protect you and all inside your dome. You can also double dodge with focus #5 up or use renewed focus for safer options. I used that set up on my first melee solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EygYNOxzjTA

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

I need to understand the double-dodge during phase 2 AoE better. I was practicing last night in a duo and a couple times after dodging forward and back right under Lupi one more projectile launched right at me hit me. I feel like I have to blow every evasion I have just to be absolutely sure I don’t get hit (dodge/dodge/swap/dodge/focus 5/renewed focus/aegis/MASH ALL F KEYS DO IT), and then of course I get swiped because Lupi’s AI was written by someone who gets off on making me suffer.

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

SoA is a bad option for the reasons Chryzo. It is a very unreliable skill. You could use sword/shield + sword/focus for sheild #5. If you use shield #5 when he does the hugging animation before the red circles appear it will protect you and all inside your dome. You can also double dodge with focus #5 up or use renewed focus for safer options. I used that set up on my first melee solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EygYNOxzjTA

I think Cymric is talking about shield #5. I’ve also noticed it not working as well as I hope on the rare occasions that I take my guard to Arah. My guess is either poor timing, maybe a nervous press of another key that interrupts the shield, or that random bit of splash damage from projectiles that land just outside of the dome. Of course the Shield of the Avenger utility is a bad idea here, something nearby has to take damage for it to activate… and I’m not taking one for the team in order for SotA to wake up.

And great job, Obal!

(edited by DEKeyzToChaos.7381)

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I need to understand the double-dodge during phase 2 AoE better. I was practicing last night in a duo and a couple times after dodging forward and back right under Lupi one more projectile launched right at me hit me. I feel like I have to blow every evasion I have just to be absolutely sure I don’t get hit (dodge/dodge/swap/dodge/focus 5/renewed focus/aegis/MASH ALL F KEYS DO IT), and then of course I get swiped because Lupi’s AI was written by someone who gets off on making me suffer.

I think dodge back, wait ~0.3 seconds and then dodge forward works quite fine. One more dodge/Aegis/etc to be on safe side.
Also I think there’s a range where his ranged attack misses but he won’t use swipe (haven’t tested though because no need).

Broadicea.8294

I think dodge back, wait ~0.3 seconds and then dodge forward works quite fine. One more dodge/Aegis/etc to be on safe side.
Also I think there’s a range where his ranged attack misses but he won’t use swipe (haven’t tested though because no need).

That’s probably the key then. I notice that’s the difference as well when folks dodge the large aoe circle in phase 3. I double dodge and still get hit by it, but in all the videos it looks like you guys dodge/pause/dodge.

Posted by: Chryzo.8906

Chryzo.8906

I agree with Wethospu, you don’t have to dodge immediatly at the start of the aoe animations either too. You can wait like .5 seconds and then first dodge, wait .3 seconds dodge again.

Yeap there is range without kicks and projectiles, often use it when i need to rez someone that fell down.

Also, I was talking about #5 of shield. Watch the difference between the activation of the bubble and the feedback bubble and you ll see that you have to launch shield #5 sooner. I don’t even use SoA on Lupicus, way too unreliable.

Also, tonight, i took 2 hits in the middle of the feedback, and i mean middle of it, not at the start or the end ^^. Lagging is a pain on Lupicus

Might as well ask now, but has anybody found that invulnerability can’t be trusted anymore ? (taking about #5 shield on warrior, F4 on mesmer for example) Sometimes on my warrior I see one block and then i get hit anyway without having activated any other skills. While on the mesmer it feels like the invulnerability with 3 illusions is not a 3 seconds invulnerability but something like 3 * 1 seconde and in between seconds you actually can get hit ^^

And to answer Bodicea, yeap, you are right, it’s more like:

• wait 1 sec after animation starts (line moving towards lupics)
  • dodge
  • run for half a sec
  • dodge

Posted by: ForGreatJustice.3452

ForGreatJustice.3452

This is awesome. Thank you obal.

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

Dek,
As I recalled that I sometimes got hit at the last sec while using Guardian Shield Absorption (#5 with Shield) and wondered why. Looking at Obal’s video, I noticed that when animation starts, the 1st projectile will hit 1s after and the AoE lasts for 3s. So assume that I activated the shield when Lupi hugs himself, the shield will go into effect 1 1/2s after and having a duration of 4sec which could only mean I could get hit by the 1st projectile. So it’s more likely that I got hit by the 1st one than the last one if I stayed the course. If I got hit by the last one then it must be me interrupting the skill.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Dub.1273

The projectiles that he gets off before absorbtion is up sometimes ignore any skills and just hit you trough. Just try to do a thief solo with smoke screen and you will get what i mean. He starts the aoe, you shadowstep to 600 range and use smoke screen. If he launched a projectile already before smoke screen was up it will hit, any projectiles launched after smokescreen was up will be destroyed.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Obal’s one of my fav. guards for any run we do, +1.

Posted by: Cymric.7368

Cymric.7368

Thanks for the advise, I will try shield #5 against lupi again.

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

I can’t believe people can solo legendary monsters, and a undead type with all the condition attacks and life steal. How the hell do i get good enough to do this??

:(

PS: btw, nice video, ty.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I can’t believe people can solo legendary monsters, and a undead type with all the condition attacks and life steal. How the hell do i get good enough to do this??

Hours and hours of practice.

Brazil

Dub.1273

I wonder if there’s a possibility to solo him disguised as mini quaggan.

Brazil pro quaggan?

Dub | [rT]

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I wonder if there’s a possibility to solo him disguised as mini quaggan.

Brazil pro quaggan?

Hmmmmm….. I’ll see what I can do.

Brazil

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

Take a lot of dedication. And nut.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

Take a lot of dedication. And nut.

Do you mean balls of steel or insanity? Maybe both?

aophts, having run dungeons with you, I can tell you are a lot better than you think you are and you just need to learn the content better by practicing it. Pick a guardian build, stick with it, and just keep running dungeons. If you find yourself dying over and over in a fight, go consult Weth’s text guides to help you spot the tells for the attacks you are having trouble mitigating. If you’re shaky on your memory of a path, review a video guide.

If you want a challenge without the investment of a dungeon, go find an open world vet or champ and learn how to solo it while taking as few hits as possible. One good starter challenge are the giants in Nageling (Diessa) and in a cave in the eastern side of Harathi Hinterlands.

Broadicea.8294

Yeah I liked doing Kol on my warrior solo when I was practicing getting the GS/axe/mace rotation down with evasions. Small beans to some of you I’m sure, but I think it’s a nice place to start.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Yea, Kol is definitely a good one. I would also recommend the Legendary Abomination in Arah P2. He’s kind of fun because you have to move for each auto, dodge/block his jump slam thingy and then also shoot him out of his super saiyan form. The trash skips on the way are also kind of fun to do.

Dub.1273

I liked solo’ing the Champion Risen Abomination in Cursed Shore. Started with 0 Stacks Frenzy and found myself not able to do it anymore once it has 13+ Stacks. Up to that, the attack speed is still okay.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

found myself not able to do it anymore once it has 13+ Stacks.

If he misses his swing 4 times in a row the stacks reset. A blocked hit counts as a miss. If you’re solo he should never build that many stacks.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Dub.1273

I let him get them for practise purposes. Attacks without any stacks are so alow you could do it while sleeping.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I can’t even get pass phase 1. Do you guys anticipate the kick and dodge because you know he will kick because of rotation? Or see the animation he going to kick and dodge?

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I can’t even get pass phase 1. Do you guys anticipate the kick and dodge because you know he will kick because of rotation? Or see the animation he going to kick and dodge?

Both works. Personally I anticipate the kick, count to ~2-3 and use an evade or block. For obvious reasons, if you can react to the kick it’s better.

To clarify on that: Lupicus will use a rotation of Skill X, kick, Y, kick, X – if that makes sense. There are rare occasions where he will kick twice in a row, and also sometimes he simply won’t kick. With practice you’ll learn how to manage your resources (evades/blocks) to the point where it won’t matter too much if he does or doesn’t kick. The only times I generally see some of the better players get smacked in phase 1, is when Lupi feels like being a kitten and double kicking.

(edited by The Mexican Cookie.3690)

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Even double kick can be anticipated. If he spends too much time without doing skill X or Y then he is probably going to kick.

Dub.1273

I sometimes get kicked…. if WA ain’t activating for 3 seconds. That skill is so wierd sometimes. 90% instant cast, 10% random activation time up to a few seconds.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I’m also having trouble with the gate keeper before Lupi.

I keep agroing the trash while trying to kill the gate keeper. And I dont’ seem to be able to kill any of the trash.

Do people try to kill the trash(if possible), or just try to kill the gate keeper best way possible without agroing the trash.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I’m also having trouble with the gate keeper before Lupi.

I keep agroing the trash while trying to kill the gate keeper. And I dont’ seem to be able to kill any of the trash.

Do people try to kill the trash(if possible), or just try to kill the gate keeper best way possible without agroing the trash.

Skip the trash and fight the Aboms in the corner.

Brazil

Broadicea.8294

That part is hard solo if the risen have kittenty placement too close to the abominations. The cool thing is though the aboms will follow you quite a ways, so you can always pull them back to the rock on the right wall which is a spot much less likely to draw stray risen aggro. But usually most folks just do it in the corner next to the door. Just watch your stray projectiles like guardian GS attacks, focus 4, etc.