Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

…are boring and uninteresting. You CANNOT have such tight timers and no way to measure performance. Games like WoW can get away with a DPS race because damage meters were readily available to check everyone’s performance during each attempt.

Right now you can wipe 20 times, on the same different spot and still not know whether you made a mistake, or your friend did, or someone else is under-performance.

PLEASE Anet, 1 of the following needs to happen.

- Lower boss health
- Make the DPS checks more lax
- Introduce a damage meter, or some way to track player performance.

I cannot honestly see people willing to wipe on Gorseval for hours on end, after the next couple of week when the inovation feeling is no longer there. Right now there is literally 0 reason to attempt this in semi-casual guild settings, such less in a pug. I understand that these type of encounters aren’t supposed to be puggable, but at this point, i don’t even feel motivated to run them with half my guild mates because of the above reasons.

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

You can get an idea of when you have to phase Gorseval by looking at the total time you have etc.; you can very well notice if it’s a lack of dps or failing the mechanics that kills you. As for checking for weak links in your squad, you can get a rough idea if you take a look at what everyone is playing, checking their rotations… The combat log can help too. I agree though that it’s awfully annoying to do so and having statistics available to watch would be very, very helpful.
On a side note, raids aren’t meant to be pugged in the first place.

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

On a side note, raids aren’t meant to be pugged in the first place.

I know that, nor would i even bother attempt to pug Gorseval at this point. But we need a specific way to keep track of performance.

People tell you they are following their performance flawlessly and the next thing you know is they link you 3 knight accessories a little bit later…

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

No it’s not a boring mechanic. It’s actually quite exciting.

But I do agree that we need some way to measure performance. I was working on Gore last night and we had a couple of times early on where we didn’t hit the first damage check. It was a bit frustrating because there’s no way of knowing why. Sure people getting hit by slam is one thing but it’s not the whole picture.

People don’t know what they don’t know. If they are executing a sub optimal rotation they probably don’t know it and they will say that they are doing great. It’s not their fault they can’t accurately get feedback as to how well they are doing in the game. We NEED some way of judging performance. Just looking through combat log doesn’t do the trick.

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: doddbox.8153

doddbox.8153

It’s actually extremely obvious to tell who is performing poorly at Gorseval, you don’t need ALERTS saying Paul Butler Balls is underperforming you can evidently see him failing to immobilize, clear orbs, tank and so on.

More importantly raids aren’t supposed to be pug friendly, it was explicitly mentioned that you require an organized team to complete them.

If you were competent enough to find a decent team to raid with you wouldn’t have any issues.

very special guild tag [tX]

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

It’s actually extremely obvious to tell who is performing poorly at Gorseval, you don’t need ALERTS saying Paul Butler Balls is underperforming you can evidently see him failing to immobilize, clear orbs, tank and so on.

Gorseval might be easy to tell who is failing the mechanics of the fight but when you have practiced them over and over and are getting to the last phase (3? 5? whatever) then you need to know how you can achieve that final 2%. I will say my successful kill at Gorseval had my group continue the boss after someone failed the 2nd glide so we decided to go for the 4th updraft during the last phase but it would be nice to know if we needed to go for it all along or only because we had a dead.

Also as an elementalist I’d like to know if Glyph of lesser elementals is worth it nowadays because summons don’t die anymore or if it is still totally trash to take.

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

Usually, the guy who gets knocked back by every stomp attack, and who “accidentally lags” walks into orb AOE every pull is also using crappy dps rotations and otherwise failing.

Rule of thumb, if a person is failing all the mechanics you can see they are also failing the things you can’t easily see.

Second rule of thumb, the enrage timer for Gorseval isn’t that tight. If you are running into the enrage timer as a genuine problem it has less to do with one or two people having bad DPS rotations and more to do with your party comp having poor buff distribution and also generally poor tactics.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

Raids aren’t meant to be pugged in the first place.

Can someone please point me to a post or blog that has a Dev saying this? I’ve never found it. Also you all should be scared if this is truely the case.

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Can someone please point me to a post or blog that has a Dev saying this? I’ve never found it. Also you all should be scared if this is truely the case.

People probably are referring to this https://youtu.be/1FUkGRxuxV0?t=6m31s

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

Fair Enough…. Thank you for that…

Scary Stuff…. And Sad for those that have lag that will never allow them to complete the Raids reliably.

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

More importantly raids aren’t supposed to be pug friendly, it was explicitly mentioned that you require an organized team to complete them.

If you were competent enough to find a decent team to raid with you wouldn’t have any issues.

When ppl say pug in gorseval then it should be an organized run if u want to have a shot. It is completely random whether its a guild run or a pug joining in, there is no real indicator to meassure their DPS. A player can play mechanics well, but still do poorly in the DPS dept. Ofc lots factors into this, just wanted to chime in as performance among guild members can vary alot, while ive had success most of the time when lf a pug or two.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: Todd.6573

Todd.6573

Scary Stuff…. And Sad for those that have lag that will never allow them to complete the Raids reliably.

Lets not get into the whole “give me stuff for free” argument. Complicated, hard encounters were highly sought after. You can “pug” the bosses, but you’ll still require teamspeak, knowledge of the fights, correct masteries and bring the right gear/class for the job as the fights are fairly mechanic heavy with tight DPS-checks.

If your net causes your trouble, thats unfortunate, but a few people having unstable connections does not warrant a nerf for the remaining playerbase with stable connections.
Also, while not a very “fun” alternative perhaps, you get dungeon tokens even if you wipe up to a weekly cap of about 100. So technically, the people whom the gods of speed has not graced with their connection can still get some loot provided they bribe or fight their way past the Vale Guardian.

Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

Dont worry about that too much, we clear it pretty much everyday with that one guy name winston, constant dc, 4000 ping spike every 30 secs, but hes a dam good player so we put up with him xD.

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: Bllade.1029

Bllade.1029

All this talk of nerfing, we’ve cleared the raid. It took us a LONG time tons of wipes but we cleared it.

It doesn’t need to be nerfed, you just need to un-kitten your game play and composition. "Please nerf this content because I don’t really want to coordinate and wipe 1000 times without getting rewarded for “trying”." Get the kitten out of here.

These raids are the best PvE content this game has ever had. EVER. Something finally exclusive and difficult, pushing coordination and composition to the next level.

If you can’t take the heat, you don’t get legendary armor. Imagine that.

Gorseval in particular is a tight check, but once you figure it out he’s cake. Yeah, you’re gonna have to figure it out. We did, so can you.

[VLK] – No one ever complains about bad Thieves, they die.

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: Verasath.3802

Verasath.3802

This content isn’t for everyone, it’s not meant to be “pugged”, unless ofcourse this pug has voicechat and is organised basically making the pug a complete guild squad u just don’t know the people yet (see it as being the new player in the guild).

We killed Sabatha on Saturday of the second week, 12 days after the wing was released. this monday (14 days after the wing was released) we cleared the whole wing in 1 day (2-3 hours from entering the raid to killing sabatha).

Those 12 days were practice time so we could get to what we are capable of now, clearing the wing in a day.

If you’re not keen on spending 10-60 hours learning the fights AND spending gold/time getting the right equipment (depends on role, some need more asc than others) AND get a group of people together through whatever means (pugs into friend list into guild made for raiding or just a guild on it’s own) then don’t even bother until you are willing to do these things. The truth hurts, it’s reality, people have been screaming for content this hard, they should NOT knock it down cuz ppl can’t take the heat.

And on the lag/dc topic, We lost our “The Eternal” title cuz 1 player failed his glider on sabatha’s last phase on, ironically the glide back from the last cannon in the last 5%, he was the only one that died.

(tbh i really hope you can find people to play with so you can also enjoy the wiping for hours on end with a group of friends cuz honestly, the wiping for 60 hours was the most fun i’ve had since game launch).

Gorseval DPS "checks"...

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

I just killed gorseval for the first time tonight with a pug group, it was also my first night trying gorseval. We had a very good group and surprisingly dps wasn’t a problem. We all had good competent players who knew how to do dps.

Damage was never a problem for us, if anything, we had too much damage. We were pushing phase before he could channel his breakbar ability. We got him to 5% many times with a full minute left. The problem came down to individual things in the last phase that got us killed, and mechanics.

His stacking damage buff really screws you in the last phase if you don’t keep track of it. If he has 4 stacks, its sort of gg, well it was for us. 40% damage is basically a one hit on every ability he has. Also the eggs are really easy to screw people over, so be wary of those. After that just keep track of orbs but 2 tempests can handle those easy.

The fight certainly requires more dps but having high dps has to do with having good players who know rotations, no pugs who think spamming one on mesmer GS is considered damage.