Guardian or Warrior 4 Dungeons?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Devik.9852

Devik.9852

Q:

I’m wanting to slowly get back into dungeons. I used a Guardian before – now I leveled a Warrior.. I was wondering which is easier to play for mostly fractals but also other dungeons?

Please give a good reason why you think I should go with one or the other.

Thank you!!

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

They’re both great in either setting. Although I personally prefer warrior, you should go with whatever class you feel the most comfortable with/won’t screw up :P

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Warrior is easier to play, but guardian is much better for your group

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Posted by: Devik.9852

Devik.9852

I appreciate the feedback but I’m looking for reasons more than generalized answers so I can make an educated choice. I’ll need to spend about 150g to get my gear up.. so I can’t just switch to another toon.

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

Ahhh…. Well, if you’re running phalanx strength w/ a 0/6/0/6/2 build on warrior, you’re going to give your party 25 might @ all times. Combine that w/ the 2 main banners and utilities such as fgj and warbanner, you won’t get kicked often in either, as long as you know how to play. W/ Guardian, you need to learn your Aegis timing for group play and run gs/hammer in fractals for perma-protection (I’m not as good @ guardian, so you’ll wanna ask mentors that main guard).

It depends on how you wanna play I guess.

Posted by: Mac.3872

Mac.3872

Guardian 4 dungeons.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Warrior is easier to play, but guardians in general can carry bad groups a lot better.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Warrior. It’s an obvious choice. People will blame guardians when they fail to dodge. I never saw a warrior being blamed for a wipe. Also you can have fun by pinging signet of rage when they yell for warbanner. That’s a priceless experience.
Either way people love to stack guards but especially warriors. You can get away with being the 2nd guardian but with warrior you can be the 4th one and it’s all cool.

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

Ahhh…. Well, if you’re running phalanx strength w/ a 0/6/0/6/2 build on warrior, you’re going to give your party 25 might @ all times. Combine that w/ the 2 main banners and utilities such as fgj and warbanner, you won’t get kicked often in either, as long as you know how to play. W/ Guardian, you need to learn your Aegis timing for group play and run gs/hammer in fractals for perma-protection (I’m not as good @ guardian, so you’ll wanna ask mentors that main guard).

This is the second time I’ve seen 0/6/0/6/2 recommended for Phalanx Strength. What makes this a good setup for PS?

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

This is the second time I’ve seen 0/6/0/6/2 recommended for Phalanx Strength. What makes this a good setup for PS?

Your party gets perma 25x might if you do.

(edited by FenrirSlakt.3692)

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Xhyros.1340

Oh, so it’s for building around signet of fury. I prefer Battle Standard.

You do know that the 5 might from signet of fury only lasts 10 seconds on your party and not the full duration you get on yourself right?

(edited by Xhyros.1340)

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

You do know that the 5 might from signet of fury only lasts 10 seconds on your party and not the full duration you get on yourself right?

No, no, you get Forceful Greatsword, which grants you Might each time you crit with your GS (No internal CD). In conjunction with Phalanx Strength, your party gets 7s Might, too.
Basically, you’ll be giving your party a bunch of Might as long as you’re critting something.

Xhyros.1340

No, no, you get Forceful Greatsword, which grants you Might each time you crit with your GS (No internal CD). In conjunction with Phalanx Strength, your party gets 7s Might, too.
Basically, you’ll be giving your party a bunch of Might as long as you’re critting something.

You misunderstand. I was questioning the 0/6/0/6/2 build as opposed to 4/4/0/6/0. The 0/6/0/6/2 build is focused on using Signet of Fury (signet traits). 4/4/0/6/0 has like, maybe 12-16% less crit chance and 7% less crit damage, but 200 more power, extra endurance on burst skill use, and doesn’t require bleeding to get the 10% damage modifier. Both builds would use Forceful Greatsword.

Casting Arcing Slice for fury > using Signet of Fury for fury since Arcing Slice does damage.

EDIT: Erp, just noticed I’ve been calling Signet of Rage, Signet of Fury.

(edited by Xhyros.1340)

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Having signet of rage traited is essential to having perma selfish fury. Having perma fury is pretty important to maintain 25 might. If you lack crit chance, your might stacking lowers. Arcing slice is a dps loss even if you dont have berserkers power whereas signet of rage gives you perma fury with only the need to cast it once every 48 seconds. Not sure how much you need to cast arcing to maintain fury. But i suppose thats worth looking into.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Your party gets perma 25x might if you do.

I easily get my 100% crit chance on Phalanx (sometimes it even goes to 109-110% when I still have my food and get in a party with correct rangers) but I never ever could maintain 25 stacks by myself on Phalanx warrior (with 0/6/0/6/2). On rather idle mobs, I can go up to 25, but maintained? Nope: I’m usually between 18 and 20. I base my assertions on the idle mob that is the golem boss in CoE in a pug party with no might-stacking at all.

Ok, now I wrote this realise I don’t have Strength sigils and/or battle.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

(edited by Fror.2163)

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

#GuardiansMasterClass

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Necro is best for dungeons. With death shroud, you can tank for the longbow rangers ALL DAY

But seriously, it doesn’t really make too big of a difference. Either party is more than welcome in most groups. Warrs are really common, and they do DPS well. I see fewer guards, but they do decent DPS plus you have fun things like reflections and aegis.

I prefer guard (the utilities are more fun IMO), but it’s whatever you like.

Posted by: Big Jay.1479

Big Jay.1479

NOTE: Assuming you are PUG-ing and not running a coordinated group

Dungeons:
If you know the paths: Guardian
If you are learning the paths: Warrior
Warrior is more forgiving while learning paths. You can switch to Guardian when you have learned the paths.

Fractals: Guardian
You will need to learn when to Aegis / Reflect, but Guardians can carry bad fractal PUGs.

Xhyros.1340

Having signet of rage traited is essential to having perma selfish fury. Having perma fury is pretty important to maintain 25 might. If you lack crit chance, your might stacking lowers. Arcing slice is a dps loss even if you dont have berserkers power whereas signet of rage gives you perma fury with only the need to cast it once every 48 seconds. Not sure how much you need to cast arcing to maintain fury. But i suppose thats worth looking into.

Arcing Slice has like, 20 seconds of fury at full adrenaline. It also hits for about as hard as your first two GS autos in about the same amount of time I think. So as long as you just use it when your other skills are on cooldown, you just lose out on the two stacks of vulnerability your first two autos would’ve done. On the other hand, casting Signet of Rage does 0 damage, so you pretty much stop your dps completely for the short amount of time you cast that. I believe the signet casts faster than Arcing Slice and you don’t need a target for its effect to happen, so you can use it during times when you’re out of melee range to mitigate the damage loss there. I’ve gotten to 94% crit chance with the 4/4 build using the cheap +60 precision food, having the precision signet, discipline banner, fury, and a ranger with spotter around, so 4/4 most likely won’t be wasting stats by going over 100% crit rate.

Both builds have their merits, but I prefer slotting Battle Standard for its party buffing effect and revival utility. 4/4 is also better for hitting non crittable/bleedable objects. 0/6 is more… range friendly since the +10% damage would affect weapons other than the greatsword, and the fury is not attached to your weapon skill.