Have you ever carried a bad PUG before?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

If you have please state them in this thread. I am not doing this in order to boast (well not mostly), but just curious as the tactics used in carrying clueless players in your pug.

My example:
COF P2 is v interesting when u play with terribad players during Magg defense stage. Exciting even. It may actually hone your skills at a particular class in order to carry the party. Not that you are likely to want to repeat the experience again; due to the level of frustration at what should be an easy challenge.

You want to know what the party composition was? 4 warriors and me as a necro. We failed like 3 times before I changed to Power necro, plague and Wells basically to stop them from overwhelming the party and had resorted to frantic Marking, dodging and kiting the mobs (as in the old P2). Of 4 warriors. And no, they weren’t noobs because they cleared everything else perfectly.To be fair as bad as they were, they did contribute to the DPSing of the mobs as the last man downed was a warrior. (I was 2nd last) and Magg managed to get to 100% just before we wiped.

At least there is a chance of carrying your party unlike certain fract stages in certain classes.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I carry every group I join, because I am the best player in the game. This is a fact, by the way.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: WonderfulCT.6278

WonderfulCT.6278

Define bad in your own words and maybe I could answer this question.

Add more sound effects to The Minstrel plz.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I haven’t carried a “bad” PUG per se, but I’ve had an experience where I’ve carried the team after a stroke of bad luck/BS.

I was in a rank 30 Fractal run on my Thief for the daily chest, and we got the Grawl Shaman on the third fractal. We had been doing perfectly fine and had pretty much no issue for the previous two (Uncategorised and Cliffside). We got to the final boss without any trouble, and took his shield down twice (at half HP). However, the lava pits were bugged, so they burned players when empty. One unlucky member got caught in one of them and got downed. The subsequent panic got all of the team killed from the onslaught of lava elementals while trying to get him up (they hadn’t noticed the bugged pit, either). After a LOT of kiting, I managed to get all the elementals down and started to work on reviving a Guardian teammate while still taking fire from the Shaman. I put up Smokescreen when off CD and kept planting Healing Seed Pods and using Blast Finishers to keep myself alive against the burning from standing still. When I eventually got him up, I still had aggro, so I kited the Shaman away while the Guardian got to work on the rest of the team. From that, we went on to beat him with no further issue.

I felt kitten good that day. Thieves suck in PvE, my kitten

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Khal Drogo.9631

I haven’t carried a “bad” PUG per se, but I’ve had an experience where I’ve carried the team after a stroke of bad luck/BS.

I was in a rank 30 Fractal run on my Thief for the daily chest, and we got the Grawl Shaman on the third fractal. We had been doing perfectly fine and had pretty much no issue for the previous two (Uncategorised and Cliffside). We got to the final boss without any trouble, and took his shield down twice (at half HP). However, the lava pits were bugged, so they burned players when empty. One unlucky member got caught in one of them and got downed. The subsequent panic got all of the team killed from the onslaught of lava elementals while trying to get him up (they hadn’t noticed the bugged pit, either). After a LOT of kiting, I managed to get all the elementals down and started to work on reviving a Guardian teammate while still taking fire from the Shaman. I put up Smokescreen when off CD and kept planting Healing Seed Pods and using Blast Finishers to keep myself alive against the burning from standing still. When I eventually got him up, I still had aggro, so I kited the Shaman away while the Guardian got to work on the rest of the team. From that, we went on to beat him with no further issue.

I felt kitten good that day. Thieves suck in PvE, my kitten

Congrats. And I am an advocate for good thieves in PvE too (P.S. lets see a ranger save the day for once). However I dare say that if any other player in my position regardless of profession was of the same standards as of the other 4 WARRIORS in COF P2 they would have been stuck and could not progress any further, no matter how many times they retried if they didnt change their utility skills etc.

As for my definition of bad, well we did P1 and P2 everything ok up (so they were definitely not noobs and all had >1.5k achieve points) until Magg’s defense and the warriors kept dying in every failed attempt and even in the last “successful” attempt, we are all dead except for 1 last warrior downed (I was dead seconds away from 100%). I don’t believe they were trolling or that all 4 of them were so impaired to the point of failing. I was running as condi necro for the failed attempts but found it was much too slow in setting up AOE kills and was not able to provide enough support until I changed to Power Necro with Wells and Plague. I believe that a party of 4 decent Warriors can clear this stage with little difficulty, much less rely on a mostly Glass Cannon Necro for support.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

Yes. I had the most insane fractal run ever.

Swamp fractal. Someone goes down to mossman and they’re ticking double agony which means rezzing them normally will be impossible. I try to rally them off a wolf only to find that they didnt hit it <.<
The people rezzing them then also go down. Mossman starts chasing my kitten So I kite him for a good 2-3 minutes knowing full well that no one will be trying to save me if I go down. While the only other surviving party member cleans up the wolves and rezzes the now fully dead 3 other teammates.

Later we go to the ascalon fractal, where ashym kills everyone with his AOE agony. I kite in a circle, once he drew the greatsword I threw down the warbanner to rez the NPC’s who proceeded to run a pain train on his face.

Snowblind goes off without a hitch

We get to maw. One person dies before reaching the jade maw platform and the team decides to just 4 man it. Later when the maw hits 50% hp, he downs someone on the other side of the room from me. Seeing that they are being attended by the other 2 teammates I decide that they’re probably ok. Only to turn around about 15 seconds later to find that im somehow the only one left alive. Cue one of the most boring maw fights ever in which I just shoot tentacles and throw stuff at him for about 2 minutes.

I think the best part was at the end I went
“maw aint got crap on me”
To which someone from my team responded “Yeah because you play like a soloist kitten. I’m glad i’ll never have to play with you again”

Needless to say I dont like carrying people very much anymore.

Posted by: Romer.1034

Romer.1034

A couple of times. Two of us had to handle Alpha pretty much every single time in CoE because the other 3 were new/bad and didn’t get the hang of when to dodge.

And on SE path 3. Although there the group wasn’t bad, it was just undergeared. The Destroyer of Worlds wiped us several times as there was a lot of ranged characters and we weren’t doing enough damage to kill them off before more spawned/they didn’t have enough survivability. In the end I switched my Guardian out to Scepter and Focus and led a train of adds around the room, picking up aggro on all of them whilst the other guys stood up high on the wooden platforms.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I think this mainly happens in fractals since players without the AR and without the experience tend to join groups that are above their abilities. Others players then have to carry them. All you need to do is time your dodges and you become a lifesaving superstar compared to these interlopers who just shouldn’t be there.

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

I don’t consider I carry any group even I’m the last man standing downing boss. All members contributed to the event in one way or another, either creating the situation I was in to enhance my skills, or contributing the dps to lower the health of the opponents. Proof? I didn’t solo the instant from the start to finish. Maybe I’m a little bit better player, maybe I don’t have that lag in a particular day, maybe I wasn’t distract in that particular play and there are a lot of maybe. I couldn’t even solo meleeing Lupi passing phase 2 on my 1st try regardless how many videos out there to tell what Lupi did in all phases, regardless how many times I played meleeing that w/ other members in my party. So I can be safe to say that I don’t carry any team. I help them a lot though.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

3 guardians a thief and a warrior walk into the dredge fractal. They make it to the final boss and decide they no longer know how to play. Warrior spends his time either rezing or running from boss to reset. The thief then has the nerve to say that the warrior doesn’t do enough damage and thats why they cannot complete the fractal…..RAGE QUIT! Im sorry but if you are playing a guardian and you cant survive longer then a warrior, L2P plz.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I’m always getting carried.

Posted by: Seveleniumus.5973

Seveleniumus.5973

I once solo-finished AC (new) p1 howler boss with a rifle, when the rest of the party wiped, not sure if that would count as “carrying” though, because we fully wiped two times before that and there wasn’t really any anger/rage or whatever going on, it was actually kinda an epic conclusion to the dungeon.

Posted by: Konu.1826

Konu.1826

By npcs during your solo runs?

Posted by: timecookie.8570

timecookie.8570

Carrying yourself is not applicable, sorry.

Posted by: Feida.2163

Feida.2163

Don’t know if this counts cause it’s guild runs but we’ve had some crazy moments just like this.

Arah on Lupicus everyone goes down but our guild warrior, he uses the greatsword spin skill and the charge to dodge from lupi in phase 2 btwn myself and another guildie. Gets me up, and I run to another player and start rezzing. Warrior runs to the other player and gets him up so we both rez ppl and end up killing Lupicus.

SE path 1 on Knocc, everyone but me goes down with Knocc having like 3% left. I dodge like crazy and kill him then rez everyone.

Again don’t know if those count as carrying but you never know.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

By npcs during your solo runs?

Carrying yourself is not applicable, sorry.

Luckily I have figured yet another way to troll people.

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

never on my own (imo; if you ‘carry’ your team through the dungeon then you couldve just soloed the whole thing) but ive been in a number of CoE groups where its been only me and another who know where the dodge button is and how to stay in melee range

i suppose i get ‘carried’ over the CoF p2 magmacite bit because im super lazy, WP and let the others do it >=D

edit
- actually i suppose ive carried people over malrona and the illusion tree in TA, had to solo both from over 50% health a few times

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

(edited by Linguistically Inept.6583)

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Many times.
After the last time I decided to never do remotely hard content without 4 skilled individual.
I’m bored of babysitting players, this game is not WoW you should take responsibility for yourself instead of relying on 2 skilled players that do all the content for the others.

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

Sounds like OP went from typical slacker auto-attacking scepter, to actually supporting his team. I have a Necromancer myself that I have played on and off since release, and one thing is for certain, they need to use their support to validate their existence cause the damage alone is sub-par to most classes.

In the Magg defense stage a Necromancer should try to maximize debuffs on mobs, spreading them as much as possible with Epidemic. Wells isn’t good at all, short duration, looong cooldowns. Sometimes I hear newbies say that staff for Necro sucks, damage wise sure, but the debuffs from a traited staff is perfect for places like the one you described. At least that’s how I play mine, and I always feel like I carry pure DPSers if you wanna call it that, but that’s part of the profession.

(edited by Gambit.8425)

Posted by: Teleniel.1809

Teleniel.1809

I have both carried, and been carried. The thing is though that I know I don’t/didn’t do it alone. As often as not (if not much more), I’m carrying a guild member.

In some cases, this can be as much as having someone die very early in a fight. Or shortly though the fight realizing they have come unprepared/ill-prepared. Be it under leveled gear, not knowing how their weapons work, or how to use their utility skills as long as we can make it work I usually get by with minimal complaint. I don’t ask that you have superior slaying sigils, or potions, food, full exotic armor or anything like that… but there are times it’s pretty obvious with how it’s going. (I do know some people that do dungeons in 60~75 rares on their level 80 characters, and more than 1 person who has forgotten to spend significant numbers of trait points).

In terms of things that I feel I’m often carrying people on… Fractals are a big one, mostly because it’s gated content but it also has a big learning curve. I can actually feel when I haven’t played them recently and that I’m not dodging as well as I used to. Some of the specific ones,

• Ascalon, pulling warriors
  • Ice Elemental, people who aggro EVERY SINGLE small elemental
  • Dredge, people who can’t dodge/survive agony… or can’t time lava dumps
  • Cliffside, people who don’t play supportively and ‘forget’ the rolls discussed in party chat for seals
  • Volcanic, not using projectile blocks against the elementals…. not helping to kill the elementals
  • Uncategorized, charging into the poison room before crystals are set…. frequently “pulling” more harpies than we have to be fighting (yay knockdown)
    Now as far as dungeons…
  • AC, Kholer is just a pain. Twice over if you can’t dodge/stun break and you insist on fighting him without the troll (or pulling him off the troll… then insisting to make them fight again)
  • CM, if you don’t have a projectile block/absorb set and you can, you’re just plain doing it wrong
  • TA, LEARN how to skip to the nightmare vine that is 5-10min saved on every run. LEARN how to fight the vines safely, or at least how to res yourself.
  • CoF, If you want to call speed run, then you better not be the first one downed… or staying at range when it’s safe to melee (most of the time)
  • HotW, some things are worth skipping, some it’s just faster to clear it. This is SOOO true when you start needing to wait for someone who didn’t make it.
  • In ALL dungeons if you’ve skipped content, and someone is having a hard time catching up because they died in the proccess…. GO BACK to either help clear, or help them through it. If they didn’t make it the first time and aren’t certain they can, they’re not likely to do it the second time!
    I can’t say much about SE, CoE, or Arah

As far as being carried, I feel it most in CoE, and I’m sure I would if I did all the Arah explorable modes. I don’t know these dungeons very well, and while I like to think I’m pretty good at playing in general I don’t know which fights are melee-hostile, and necessarily which speed running tactics people are using. I’m willing to listen to how to do a fight, and try to keep up with everything.

I primarily run a Guardian, with my favorite alt being my Elementalist. Ranger/Thief aren’t my style although I tried, and I can’t even explain how hard a time I’m having with my Mesmer!

TLDR yes I have carried a pug (and guild member), yes I have been carried as a PUG.

Khal Drogo.9631

Sounds like OP went from typical slacker auto-attacking scepter, to actually supporting his team. I have a Necromancer myself that I have played on and off since release, and one thing is for certain, they need to use their support to validate their existence cause the damage alone is sub-par to most classes.

In the Magg defense stage a Necromancer should try to maximize debuffs on mobs, spreading them as much as possible with Epidemic. Wells isn’t good at all, short duration, looong cooldowns. Sometimes I hear newbies say that staff for Necro sucks, damage wise sure, but the debuffs from a traited staff is perfect for places like the one you described. At least that’s how I play mine, and I always feel like I carry pure DPSers if you wanna call it that, but that’s part of the profession.

Well to avoid a flame war, I should refrain from calling you names and would like to point out that you will fail abysmally along with the other 4 terribad warriors (pure DPSers or you would call them) as I was not just “autoattacking” with scepter but spreading Epidemic and getting my golem to do its rush while switching to staff when the going gets tough. The problem with condi build Necros in that stage is that it takes far too long to AOE kill with conditions especially the one mob are you are spreading Epidemic from dies too quickly or has very few debuffs in the first place especially with a bad team.

In the first place, the warriors should be able to keep themselves alive even as pure DPSers while nuking everything, especially when u have 4 of them.

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

Nah I’m bad and I’m the one that always gets carried. I even made a thread in a desperate attempt for people to carry me through Arah https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Arah-Vet-here-to-help-you-with-Arah-runs/first#post1165046 I even made a bunch of requirements to ensure I would get carried without fail. Maybe I should have added need 5k+ acheivement points so I could have sucked worse.

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

Well to avoid a flame war, I should refrain from calling you names and would like to point out that you will fail abysmally along with the other 4 terribad warriors (pure DPSers or you would call them) as I was not just “autoattacking” with scepter but spreading Epidemic and getting my golem to do its rush while switching to staff when the going gets tough. The problem with condi build Necros in that stage is that it takes far too long to AOE kill with conditions especially the one mob are you are spreading Epidemic from dies too quickly or has very few debuffs in the first place especially with a bad team.

In the first place, the warriors should be able to keep themselves alive even as pure DPSers while nuking everything, especially when u have 4 of them.

Sorry if I offended you. I suppose your post rubbed me the wrong way with your talk of “clueless players”, while you save the day with… Power and Wells… and " frantic Marking, dodging and kiting the mobs", which is kinda normal in a room full with waves of mobs if you have agro from them. Your group also managed to wipe despite your heroic deeds. It all just sounded like a player who’s used to being carried himself and are shocked to have to contribute for once. “Terribad” players wouldn’t have killed the Assassins in time and i doubt you soloed them.

That stage of CoF p2 is more of a gear check than anything, second a place where support come in handy if you lack it. Warriors doesn’t have much healing unless they spec for Vigorous Shouts, thus my term pure DPS. Maybe the mobs picked them off one after the other before they could rally. A condition Necro works perfectly fine to kite, while targeting and attacking the Assassins at the same time. I know cause I’ve done it myself several times in groups that aren’t capable of mushing all the mobs quickly. But then my Necro is of course geared in full exotic/asc rabid which makes everything easy. You had a smooth ride up to it because the rest is on a lower level of difficulty.

The reason why I dislike Wells so much is because of this games AoE limit to five targets in combination with their long cooldowns. Staff is ideal for the bomb room for groups like yours, with its constant health regen and frequent chills between dodges. Spectral Walk is often seen as a PvP skill, but is something that can act as a pause button to gain health and endurance in tight situations.

You have a future guardian in your signature. Do the right thing and level it up and make it your main for instances like I did. You can single-handedly turn the worst pug group into winners with your buffs/heals, dish out real damage and have fun at the same time.

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

I can help carry some bad PUG members, but usually not whole parties. I’ve taught a handful of parties to get through tough spots, but usually one jerk decides he doesn’t want to bother learning and ragequits, and weaker-willed players follow suit. Several times I’ve cleared the rest of whatever we were doing with a 4-player party, as if the ragequitter was holding us down. And sometimes the rest of the party just refuses to listen because they’ve had it hardcoded that the run has to be done a certain way when we don’t have the party makeup to do so.

One thing I’ve been annoyed by was the Cliffside fractal with the two arm seals. If someone screws up by killing a Chanter that we’re trying to keep alive, IT’S PERFECTLY POSSIBLE TO SALVAGE THE RUN WITH THE RIGHT STRATEGY. But the more likely scenario is that players give up and blame ANet for their lack of flexibility.

Posted by: Brewbeer.8239

Brewbeer.8239

I’ve had to solo Subject Alpha a few times. Once or twice, I’ve been kiting Lupicus arund for a minute or two while another guy resses all the dead. Usually, when I’m in bad groups though, I take charge and tell them what to do. Most people listen and the dungeon goes smooth.

Khal Drogo.9631

One thing I’ve been annoyed by was the Cliffside fractal with the two arm seals. If someone screws up by killing a Chanter that we’re trying to keep alive, IT’S PERFECTLY POSSIBLE TO SALVAGE THE RUN WITH THE RIGHT STRATEGY. But the more likely scenario is that players give up and blame ANet for their lack of flexibility.

It is very difficult esp with some builds and professions. And it becomes nigh on impossible on the higher levels (ie >30) for fragile classes/builds/party composition. Don’t even mention a try with terribad players. It is not just the right strategy, it is also about the players who have sufficient knowledge of their classes to use their condi removals, any buffs to enhance survival, pull etc. IMO it is a frustrating time sink, which I honestly say I have RQ a few times, whereas on a few other occasions scraped by (highest was on lvl 26) with an ele and a ranger.

You know what this is a good challenge for the PvE elite (not elitist) community. Go to lvl 48 and do the arm seals by killing both chanters at both sides and complete the task. I am pretty sure it is hell even for v good players.

Khal Drogo.9631

Sorry if I offended you. I suppose your post rubbed me the wrong way with your talk of “clueless players”, while you save the day with… Power and Wells… and " frantic Marking, dodging and kiting the mobs", which is kinda normal in a room full with waves of mobs if you have agro from them. Your group also managed to wipe despite your heroic deeds. It all just sounded like a player who’s used to being carried himself and are shocked to have to contribute for once. “Terribad” players wouldn’t have killed the Assassins in time and i doubt you soloed them.

That stage of CoF p2 is more of a gear check than anything, second a place where support come in handy if you lack it. Warriors doesn’t have much healing unless they spec for Vigorous Shouts, thus my term pure DPS. Maybe the mobs picked them off one after the other before they could rally. A condition Necro works perfectly fine to kite, while targeting and attacking the Assassins at the same time. I know cause I’ve done it myself several times in groups that aren’t capable of mushing all the mobs quickly. But then my Necro is of course geared in full exotic/asc rabid which makes everything easy. You had a smooth ride up to it because the rest is on a lower level of difficulty.

The reason why I dislike Wells so much is because of this games AoE limit to five targets in combination with their long cooldowns. Staff is ideal for the bomb room for groups like yours, with its constant health regen and frequent chills between dodges. Spectral Walk is often seen as a PvP skill, but is something that can act as a pause button to gain health and endurance in tight situations.

You have a future guardian in your signature. Do the right thing and level it up and make it your main for instances like I did. You can single-handedly turn the worst pug group into winners with your buffs/heals, dish out real damage and have fun at the same time.

Really your first impression upon reading the title of the thread and the post is that I never contributed and am used to being carried. I think you have a tendency of reading things backwards.

First off, Spectral Walk doesnt regen health or endurance or make u invulnerable. 2nd, you mean a terribad player can’t press autoattack esp pure DPSer (not even HB) and kill an assassin. Hell a toddler can do that. If you are asking whether did I gib the assassin by myself, in fact probably 1 or 2 80-90% even 100% as a power necro. Obviously Life Transfer and Staff helps with the AOE damage to the mobs. Third, I am not sure I can take u seriously when you mention Staff heals being anything but marginal healing to the party especially in a stage when the players are usually scattered about.

As for warriors dying, pure DPSer should in fact find it easier to rally and after three tries, its evident that its not a case of bad luck of 1 or 2 dying because of being KD/stunned/comboed into death.

Can I ask u and anyone reading this thread a question: would you agree that a party of 4 decent warriors would be able to survive Magg defense by themselves especially if they proven them to be capable of handling P1 and the rest of P2? Not to mention Endure Pain, shield block, Regen Signet, GS whirl etc + Defense banner. Or u could dodge and range with Longbow when u are low on health which is what I do when I am on my warrior. If u have lifesteal food, even more of a guarantee u will stay alive even post nerf.

Rabid necromancers do work with a “normal” party as you are not required to DPS quickly and provide as much support as possible.

A minor component is gear check, the major component is a skill/L2P check.

Posted by: thisisu.7504

thisisu.7504

I carry every group I join, because I am the best player in the game. This is a fact, by the way.

Hahaha, yeah right.

Thisisu – Mesmer – FotM 51
Thisisudax – Guardian – FotM 49
Fractal Videos: http://www.youtube.com/thisisudax

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Hahaha, yeah right.

GG

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman