Healing druid vs healing ele

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jayjaydee.3827

Jayjaydee.3827

In the past I"ve read comments from people saying an ele outheals a druid. I suppose for individuals or in any given fight anything is possible, but is this true in general? I raid a lot, and almost always as a magi druid. I run bgdm, and the only time i’ve ever noticed i was outhealed was by another druid. Whats the consensus?

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Assuming equal skill, an Elementalist healer will always outheal a Druid healer by a wide margin over the course of an encounter. The distinction, however, has never been about which is a better healer. The reason that Druid is so popular (particularly in pubs) is that even when running full healer it brings a plethora of damage boosting buffs to the team that mitigates its substantially reduced DPS. There are only a few encounters like Matthias where pubs bring an Elementalist healer, and all of those are largely because the DPS check is so minor that staying alive makes a run more consistent.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

The reason that Druid is so popular (particularly in pubs) is that even when running full healer it brings a plethora of damage boosting buffs to the team that mitigates its substantially reduced DPS.

And this is why no other healer in the history of this game will ever be viable unless one of the following happens:
- A huge nerf to what druid brings for buffs
- All class specific buffs affect all 10 people
- All healers bring equal damage buffing effects

I personally would prefer both 2 and 3 as things that occur in order to increase raid diversity. It is pretty stupid that before you build a raid you already have 6 spots locked in for 2 each or 3 different classes.

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

Healer ele is pointless because although it has tonnes of healing, you should never need it.

Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Healer ele is pointless because although it has tonnes of healing, you should never need it.

Ah yes, the if you’re perfect you never need x philosophy.

Daily reminder, you’re not perfect. So you may want to consider alternatives.

Yobculture.5786

Not really.

Magi druid has lots of healing which is normally more than enough, especially if there’s 2 of them.

Far Shiverpeaks

TexZero.7910

Not really.

Magi druid has lots of healing which is normally more than enough, especially if there’s 2 of them.

You’re running 2 healers, yet the optional one with greater healing is somehow pointless eh ?

You do realize you can just swap out 1 magi druid in that case for a viper druid and keep the healing ele and you’ve just increased you group damage at no cost to utility right ?

Yobculture.5786

Not really.

You’re running 2 healers, yet the optional one with greater healing is somehow pointless eh ?

You do realize you can just swap out 1 magi druid in that case for a viper druid and keep the healing ele and you’ve just increased you group damage at no cost to utility right ?

The point I was attempting to make was that if you need an actual healer, you might as well just bring a druid instead of an ele.

I’m pretty well aware of 1 magi 1 condi since I mainly play condi druid in both fractals and raids, and I only got my magi druid gear recently.

Far Shiverpeaks

TexZero.7910

Not really.

The point I was attempting to make was that if you need an actual healer, you might as well just bring a druid instead of an ele.

I’m pretty well aware of 1 magi 1 condi since I mainly play condi druid in both fractals and raids, and I only got my magi druid gear recently.

If you need an actual healer, you’d bring the one with superior healing. The ele.
If you need offensive utility more you’d bring a druid.

Don’t obfuscate the two

Yobculture.5786

Not really.

If you need an actual healer, you’d bring the one with superior healing. The ele.

Don’t obfuscate the two

If you fail mechanics, you need burst healing, not regen healing. Ele can’t burst heal nearly as well as druid can and doesn’t provide the plethora of buffs that Druid does. If you have to bring a healer ele to compensate to peoples’ lack of skill, I don’t think the problem is the healing.

Far Shiverpeaks

TexZero.7910

Not really.

Don’t obfuscate the two

If you fail mechanics, you need burst healing, not regen healing. Ele can’t burst heal nearly as well as druid can and doesn’t provide the plethora of buffs that Druid does. If you have to bring a healer ele to compensate to peoples’ lack of skill, I don’t think the problem is the healing.

I think you greatly underestimate just how much healing an ele can do and how bursty it is.

Not only that if you screw up mechanics to the point your describing healing is healing and its source is largely irrelevant. In that case the better healing will do. Which believe it or not is actually Ele.

Yobculture.5786

Not really.

Don’t obfuscate the two

I think you greatly underestimate just how much healing an ele can do and how bursty it is.

Not only that if you screw up mechanics to the point your describing healing is healing and its source is largely irrelevant. In that case the better healing will do. Which believe it or not is actually Ele.

I dunno, if your raid groups are so bad at mechanics that they need a healing ele they’d better start finding where they misplaced their dodge key. Healers can’t and shouldn’t compensate for extreme lack of skill – beyond healing provided by 2 magi druids, it’s basically up to the other people to improve their encounter knowledge.

Far Shiverpeaks

TexZero.7910

Not really.

Don’t obfuscate the two

I dunno, if your raid groups are so bad at mechanics that they need a healing ele they’d better start finding where they misplaced their dodge key. Healers can’t and shouldn’t compensate for extreme lack of skill – beyond healing provided by 2 magi druids, it’s basically up to the other people to improve their encounter knowledge.

Again you somehow have this preconceived notion that you require a second magi druid. It’s cute.

You can just as easily replace the magi druid with healing ele and achieve the same results. The healing from ele is better than that of magi druid no matter how you slice it.

Yobculture.5786

Not really.

Don’t obfuscate the two

Again you somehow have this preconceived notion that you require a second magi druid. It’s cute.

You can just as easily replace the magi druid with healing ele and achieve the same results. The healing from ele is better than that of magi druid no matter how you slice it.

It’s not the same results, though.

Are you trying to tell me healer ele has (the equivalent of) Spotter, Sun/Frost Spirit, GoTL and Glyph of Empowerment?

Far Shiverpeaks

TexZero.7910

Not really.

Don’t obfuscate the two

Are you trying to tell me healer ele has (the equivalent of) Spotter, Sun/Frost Spirit, GoTL and Glyph of Empowerment?

Again utility !=Healing.

Stop trying to obfuscate the merits of healing by saying but wait there’s more like a bad infomercial. We all get that Druid utility is totally bonkers. Not debating that.

What is being debated is Healing A (Druid) < Healing B (Ele). The answer is pretty obvious. Ele is the better Healer.

However, in the cases that you claim to be running a 2nd druid anyway, the results would be the same. The overall DPS change from 1 Ele to 1 Druid is something like 5%. So unless you’re somehow running into every single enrage timer which you likely wont given how lenient they are it doesn’t matter if you run 2x Magi Druid or 1 Druid and 1 Ele Healer. Meaning that the end result Boss is Dead is exactly the same.

Yobculture.5786

Not really.

Don’t obfuscate the two

Again utility !=Healing.

Stop trying to obfuscate the merits of healing by saying but wait there’s more like a bad infomercial. We all get that Druid utility is totally bonkers. Not debating that.

What is being debated is Healing A (Druid) < Healing B (Ele). The answer is pretty obvious. Ele is the better Healer.

However, in the cases that you claim to be running a 2nd druid anyway, the results would be the same. The overall DPS change from 1 Ele to 1 Druid is something like 5%. So unless you’re somehow running into every single enrage timer which you likely wont given how lenient they are it doesn’t matter if you run 2x Magi Druid or 1 Druid and 1 Ele Healer. Meaning that the end result Boss is Dead is exactly the same.

I refer you back to this point.

Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Sigfodr.9576

Sigfodr.9576

To get back to the topic, do heal temp heal more then heal drud, yes.

Is the extra healing needed? no, not really. But then again, neither am heal drud. Just go 2*dmg drud.

So why even use heal drud or heal temp, well sometimes your group is really tired (long night), or its a less exp. group. Or less skilled group. And here you can benefit from the extra heal or proc from either full heal drud or temp.

The fights I personally use heal temp for when I lead (Training groups mainly) are fights where the dmg needed is very low, and the main focus is on keeping people alive despite alot of mistakes.

Sloth: people dont dodge shake and chrono/DH/War dont negate it either. Worry not, heal temp is here to make the shake go away. People pull your slubling, so you did not clear green poison floor, np heal temp outheal the dmg and your group just stand on the poison.

Trio: Narella spawn and the group spread out (despite you telling them to stack), np. Heal temp outheal any dmg.

Mathias: Noone dodge haduken, np. heal temp is here.

Cairn: People get ported left and right, and never go into green circles, np. Outhealed, since Heal temp..

Daimos: Need someone to kite hands, well again heal temp do the job. (cant carry the same way here though lol)

Its not really about “do you need the extra healing from heal temp” and more, how hard can you carry. And heal temp can carry HARD (on low dps bosses).

All that said, for any decent group, take the drud, since more dmg

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

In the past I"ve read comments from people saying an ele outheals a druid. I suppose for individuals or in any given fight anything is possible, but is this true in general? I raid a lot, and almost always as a magi druid. I run bgdm, and the only time i’ve ever noticed i was outhealed was by another druid. Whats the consensus?

It is possible for a magi auramancer ele to outheal a druid. The sustain is great and can come with free 100% prot. But. No Spotter. No GotL. No Glyph of Empowerment. And you don’t really need more healing OR prot. So in the end it’s just going to lose you the fantastic group buffs from the druid.

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

The reason that Druid is so popular (particularly in pubs) is that even when running full healer it brings a plethora of damage boosting buffs to the team that mitigates its substantially reduced DPS.

And this is why no other healer in the history of this game will ever be viable unless one of the following happens:
- A huge nerf to what druid brings for buffs
- All class specific buffs affect all 10 people
- All healers bring equal damage buffing effects

I personally would prefer both 2 and 3 as things that occur in order to increase raid diversity. It is pretty stupid that before you build a raid you already have 6 spots locked in for 2 each or 3 different classes.

Or just design more encounters like Matthias so that pugs and casual groups actually run safer options while hardcore groups run dps-centric composition.

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Or just design more encounters like Matthias so that pugs and casual groups actually run safer options while hardcore groups run dps-centric composition.

I present you the entirety of Wing 4. The normal versions of the fights have very relaxed DPS checks (I use the term loosely) so there’s a lot of variation you can throw in there as far as slower-safer/faster-riskier.

The challenge motes are the only ones where damage seems to make a difference (more so on Overseer due to global arena timers), but even then you can still opt for safer routes.

Nonetheless, we bring druids for the offensive buffs, and we bring ele’s in situations where we want large heals for cover.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

both are really cool and viable the one just happen to give a 10% dps buff and spirits so…

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I present you the entirety of Wing 4. The normal versions of the fights have very relaxed DPS checks (I use the term loosely) so there’s a lot of variation you can throw in there as far as slower-safer/faster-riskier.

The challenge motes are the only ones where damage seems to make a difference (more so on Overseer due to global arena timers), but even then you can still opt for safer routes.

Nonetheless, we bring druids for the offensive buffs, and we bring ele’s in situations where we want large heals for cover.

Idk about that. You’re right that the dps timers are very relaxed…but so are the healing requirements. Cairn barely deals damage if your group doesn’t screw up shared agony positioning, overseer…actually is a dps golem, samarog really doesn’t deal much damage unless people get hit by knockbacks a lot, and deimos is only painful for the tank and hands kiter.

Posted by: Nyel.1843

Nyel.1843

What about Revenant healers with Ventari? I planned on creating one, are they not competitive?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

What about Revenant healers with Ventari? I planned on creating one, are they not competitive?

I understand the answer is “it depends”, where what it mostly depends on is the rest of the group composition. They do excellent healing, however.

zealex.9410

they have stupidly good burst healing but they are hard to pull of coz theres alot of precasting

Rising Dusk.2408

They’re fun as hell and really good at keeping people alive. Having played one a lot recently because my guild lets me play whatever I want, I find that they’re a middleground between elementalist and druid. To help out I’ve created a little pros/cons table below.

Elementalist

• Exceptional HPS (~5k)
  • Weak burst heals
  • No damage boosting modifiers
  • Extremely low personal DPS (~800-1.4k)

Druid (Magi)

• Low HPS (~2.5k)
  • Strong burst heals
  • Exceptional damage boosting modifiers (GotL/Spirit/Spotter)
  • Low personal DPS (1.2k-2.5k)

Druid (Condi)

• Low HPS (~1k)
  • Weak burst heals
  • Good personal DPS (10k-12k)

Herald

• High HPS (~4k)
  • Strong burst heals
  • Mediocre damage boosting modifiers (AP)
  • Decent personal DPS (3k-5k)
[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

zealex.9410

They’re fun as hell and really good at keeping people alive. Having played one a lot recently because my guild lets me play whatever I want, I find that they’re a middleground between elementalist and druid. To help out I’ve created a little pros/cons table below.

Elementalist

• Exceptional HPS (~5k)
  • Weak burst heals

Druid (Magi)

• Low HPS (~2.5k)
  • Strong burst heals

Druid (Condi)

• Low HPS (~1k)
  • Weak burst heals

Herald

• High HPS (~4k)
  • Strong burst heals

herald is idd a really good pick to bad gotl overshadows the rest healing classes

Nyel.1843

Elementalist

• Exceptional HPS (~5k)
  • Weak burst heals

Druid (Magi)

• Low HPS (~2.5k)
  • Strong burst heals

Druid (Condi)

• Low HPS (~1k)
  • Weak burst heals

Herald

• High HPS (~4k)
  • Strong burst heals

Amazing list, thank you very much!

Azoqu.8917

I love how everyone skips over Guardian as a healer. Not like it matters because GotL and spirits overshadows everyone but they do exist.

Nyel.1843

Sorry but what’s GotL? I just returned to the game and I don’t know what that is.

Rising Dusk.2408

I love how everyone skips over Guardian as a healer. Not like it matters because GotL and spirits overshadows everyone but they do exist.

• Guardian has lower HPS than both Herald and Elementalist
  • Guardian offers no offensive buffs
  • Guardian has weak burst heals outside F2
  • Guardian loses almost all damage to get heals to be usable compared to other options
  • Guardian has worse protection uptime than Druid or Herald unless you camp Hammer, which has weak healing

Sorry but what’s GotL? I just returned to the game and I don’t know what that is.

Grace of the Land

Azoqu.8917

GotL = Grace of the Land.

It is a buff that druids give out when they heal that stacks up to 5 times. Each stack gives 2% increased damage so at 5 stacks it’s a 10% damage increase for everyone else.

Nyel.1843

Thank you very much!

zealex.9410

guard is a diff kind of healer the aegis spam and protection make it more of a dmg midigation healer rather than a straight healer

Azoqu.8917

guard is a diff kind of healer the aegis spam and protection make it more of a dmg midigation healer rather than a straight healer

Almost like they are Protection Monks, but sadly no where near as good. WTB reversal of fortune from Guild Wars 1 as well as Protective Spirit.

zealex.9410

Almost like they are Protection Monks, but sadly no where near as good. WTB reversal of fortune from Guild Wars 1 as well as Protective Spirit.

They are tho pretty amazing at heaing ppl that are in melee max melee range. You can easily keep your group and 85-90% scholar uptime and thats commendable.

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Jayjaydee.3827

Jayjaydee.3827

@ Rising Dusk. Ty for those healing numbers by class. Where did you get them? I looked for such numbers, but wasn’t ever able to find them. Is there a reference or just from experience?

Rising Dusk.2408

@ Rising Dusk. Ty for those healing numbers by class. Where did you get them? I looked for such numbers, but wasn’t ever able to find them. Is there a reference or just from experience?

They’re the rough average of what I’ve seen personally while using DPS meters which measure healing during raid encounters. If you really want to go crazy and have a group eating stupid amounts of damage, you can push the numbers higher than what I’ve listed. I’ve seen YouTube videos of Elementalist healing of 6.5k HPS over the course of a Matthias encounter.

Posted by: AnariiUK.7409

AnariiUK.7409

We did a few quick (Totally unscientific!) healer tests quite recently.

Test 1) Slothasor Poison
Goal: Keep 5 players alive in the Slothasor poison for as long as possible.

Results:
Minstrels Chrono << Engi < Ventari Rev < Staff Ele (~8,000 HP/S) < Minstrel’s Druid (~10,000 HP/S).

Druid was the strongest healer here, even without being able to use staff autos, in part due to having regular condi-cleanse for the poison.

Test 2) Dry top “Quicksand river”
Goal: Keep 5 players alive in the quicksand river for as long as possible.

Results:
Minstrels Chrono << Engineer = Ventari Rev = Staff Ele (10,000 HP/S) = Minstrel’s Druid (10,000 HP/S).

Nearly all proper healers that we tested peaked out at ~10k HP/S here.

Test 3) Fractal golem challenge
Goal: Keep 5 players alive against 5 champion golems in the fractal lobby for as long as possible.

Results: Everyone failed.

No amount of healing will save you here!

In conclusion, Druid, Ele, Rev and Engi are all very competitive healers and they can all pull higher than 10k HP/S. There aren’t really any realistic scenarios in the game where you’d ever need more that about 5,000 HP/S healing over time, so currently all healers are saturated at about the same potential.

If anything I’d rank the healers as follows:

1. Ventari Rev – Ranged + Bursty heals.
2. Minstrel’s Druid – Ranged + Bursty heals (Restricted by CA).
3. Minstrel’s Staff Ele – Excellent sustained heals, but lacks ranged burst healing.
4. Engineer – Insane healing over time at melee, but no good ranged healing.
5. Minstrel’s Chrono – Overall low healing and bad ranged options.

(edited by AnariiUK.7409)

Rising Dusk.2408

I’ve never done any tests in regulated environments like those, so that’s really good context to have and lines up similarly with what I’ve seen (though I’ve never actually tried Engi healer). I also have never tried anything other than builds that I run for raids, so no Minstrel’s Druid or Staff Elementalist (since both run Magi), though that shouldn’t change much for these tests outside regeneration duration.

I also think things are generally tougher in real raids for classes that rely heavily on regeneration for HPS because Chronomancers naturally apply so much of it in high durations, meaning your regeneration never ticks. Besides that, obviously not everyone needs healing every second, so numbers get saturated as you noted. Regardless, it’s really cool to have the numbers from those vacuum tests!