Help! I can't pug FotM 48 anymore.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Havana.8625

Havana.8625

I just can’t take it.

First off: I want to keep doing FotM because I like the teamwork required for different parts, I love the fractal weapon skins, I feel like I actually have to pay attention, the dungeons are better designed than many explorable paths. So I’m not looking for any “Just stop doing fractals” responses (though I may get a few.)

I’ve had great success sometimes pugging it, but lately I’ve been getting bad groups every single time. Today I was in a group that failed after 3.5 hours! That’s right, instance creator leaving, going back in, another creator leaving when the team couldn’t do something, starting over, getting to dredge 3rd, and failing and had to go to work. The group contained (at certain points) a guardian who refused to use reflects at all, players who refused to talk or say anything no matter what was asked, and people with obviously insufficient AR. I can’t take the pugs. I know I’m not 100% perfect but I know my role, I communicate, I have the AR, and I’m experienced enough to always make it with a competent group.

I’m in [FotM] but there aren’t enough people in the guild yet to always get a group. I’m one of only two people in my guild (a large one) that runs fractals at that level. Help?!

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success.
(Please no gear treadmills, Colin!)

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I just can’t take it.

First off: I want to keep doing FotM because I like the teamwork required for different parts, I love the fractal weapon skins, I feel like I actually have to pay attention, the dungeons are better designed than many explorable paths. So I’m not looking for any “Just stop doing fractals” responses (though I may get a few.)

I’ve had great success sometimes pugging it, but lately I’ve been getting bad groups every single time. Today I was in a group that failed after 3.5 hours! That’s right, instance creator leaving, going back in, another creator leaving when the team couldn’t do something, starting over, getting to dredge 3rd, and failing and had to go to work. The group contained (at certain points) a guardian who refused to use reflects at all, players who refused to talk or say anything no matter what was asked, and people with obviously insufficient AR. I can’t take the pugs. I know I’m not 100% perfect but I know my role, I communicate, I have the AR, and I’m experienced enough to always make it with a competent group.

I’m in [FotM] but there aren’t enough people in the guild yet to always get a group. I’m one of only two people in my guild (a large one) that runs fractals at that level. Help?!

Stop doing fractals.

Oh wait, nvm, feel free to add me in game. I have a regular group of 3 or 4 that usually runs a 48 and we’ll have to carry somebody or PUG. We don’t do it too often anymore, but we might start back up.

Another thing to do is start adding people from PUGs that are actually good. PM then whenever you wanna run one and you guys might start to form a regular group.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Well, not envying you. If I didn’t have a full 5man party I always play with I wouldn’t even set foot in fractals. No, not only in 48. Just.. no.

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

I only ever pug and never had any runs at 48 that actually failed. Sure someone might drop out at some point, but most people who do 48 are quite competent. I admit, I haven’t actually run a 48 since the fractal update was announced, could that have lowered the competencies of fractal 48 runners? What class do you run? Maybe it’s because I play a guardian myself that I’ve never really had 3.5 hour fail runs? Might wanna try getting a guardian up to 48, see if that helps.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I have no idea why anyone would take a pug to a high level fractal run. .

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

Because they’re not as hard as you make them out to be?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Because they’re not as hard as you make them out to be?

Can you highlight the part where he says that fotm is very hard and impossible to pug? I’m just curious.

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

You said you were pugging before going to work. Depending of the time of the day you get lots of people that don’t speak english, so maybe thats what is making your runs so difficult. I believe pugging around the server reset is the best time to find good pugs.

Havana.8625

You said you were pugging before going to work. Depending of the time of the day you get lots of people that don’t speak english, so maybe thats what is making your runs so difficult. I believe pugging around the server reset is the best time to find good pugs.

You may be right. I usually run FotM at 7am PST. Don’t usually have to leave for work till 11 PST so it’s a nice stretch of time. I could be some of the players who won’t respond really can’t speak any English. I don’t usually get home till a few hours after reset, but perhaps that would be better for me than what I am trying.

I only ever pug and never had any runs at 48 that actually failed. Sure someone might drop out at some point, but most people who do 48 are quite competent. I admit, I haven’t actually run a 48 since the fractal update was announced, could that have lowered the competencies of fractal 48 runners? What class do you run? Maybe it’s because I play a guardian myself that I’ve never really had 3.5 hour fail runs? Might wanna try getting a guardian up to 48, see if that helps.

I run warrior in FotM. I do have a Guardian at FotM 28 with no ascended weapon or backpiece. I don’t really enjoy playing guardian though (but I’d be willing to use Wall of Reflection which is more than some of the folks I’ve encountered.) My second favorite profession is Mesmer (which I haven’t done fractals with yet) so I don’t think I’d want to spend more time on my Guardian or buy it ascended weapons & back.

It had been working for a bit. I got an ascended box and a few fractal weapons all from pugging, but lately it seems I’ve been getting worse groups. (and lately I haven’t been able to find people from the guild [FotM] to run with at all.) Recently I had one guy that wouldn’t talk that had 0 AR and had never done a fractal. He did speak english but didn’t know what AR was so didn’t want to respond. We figured it out by Bloomhunger though.

Stop doing fractals.

Oh wait, nvm, feel free to add me in game. I have a regular group of 3 or 4 that usually runs a 48 and we’ll have to carry somebody or PUG. We don’t do it too often anymore, but we might start back up.

Another thing to do is start adding people from PUGs that are actually good. PM then whenever you wanna run one and you guys might start to form a regular group.

Thanks! I will do, but what time do you guys usually run?

(edited by Havana.8625)

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Rule # 498 of Video Game Interweb Forums: As soon as anyone claims something to be difficult, someone else must state that this content is in actuality very easy and proclaim, either directly or indirectly through inherent assertion, that any failures are due to the player having an uncommonly inferior ability to play the game.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Rule # 498 of Video Game Interweb Forums: As soon as anyone claims something to be difficult, someone else must state that this content is in actuality very easy and proclaim, either directly or indirectly through inherent assertion, that any failures are due to the player having an uncommonly inferior ability to play the game.

Commonly inferior ability to run a decent build*

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: durend.6237

durend.6237

Commonly inferior ability to run a decent build*

Bit of both for fractals. If the grawl shaman keeps going into add phases with half of the party members sub 50% due to their inability to dodge arrows…. then yeah that party is going to have problems – especially when a guard wasted their reflects during the non-add phase to protect from said arrows.

On the other hand, you can have all the projectile defense/dodge skill in the world, but if the warriors next to you are running pvt shout heal, the elementals are not going to die quick enough and the party will get overwhelmed

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

Try pugging sub-10 or 10 for daily and you may even get ppl rage quitting at swamp.
Have no clue abut 48, I am just entering 30s, but I found the 20s pug groups to be much better than in lower lvls. I was kinda hoping the trend would be continuing upwards :S

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

I play in oceaning WvW guild primarily and it’s hard to do high level fractals with people I know. I would do L48 Fractals with you if you want, currently sitting at 45 AR (haven’t bother trying for 40+ fract so no point in increasing my AR. I main a Serker Warrior for fractals.

[DONE]

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

I have a quick test now for pugs – I start talking in party chat and ask for a response from everyone. If people ignore me or start talking in non-english – I just leave.
If people actually communicate with you you can work things out. Otherwise it’s better not to bother.

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

I had an engi win FOTM 48 that didnt know what Big O’l Bomb skill was.

His response: “huh never used bomb kit lolz”

What the kitten.

Posted by: Geoffroy.3685

Geoffroy.3685

Wait until the new fractals are released and freshly 80 players decide that they’re max level so why not join a 38/48 group? Everything should work out ok right?

Amelia Ivardottir — Falconeer (Greatsword & Bows Ranger) — Volcanus
Emmeline Ivardottir — Duelist (Sword & Focus Mesmer) — Sunrise / The Anomaly

Posted by: Dromar.1027

Dromar.1027

I get decent pugs all the time for 48. IDK how you keep getting bad ones or are you just very picky?

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Thanks! I will do, but what time do you guys usually run?

NA time. Probably between 4pm-11pm server time.

RIP in peace Robert

Havana.8625

Bit of both for fractals. If the grawl shaman keeps going into add phases with half of the party members sub 50% due to their inability to dodge arrows…. then yeah that party is going to have problems – especially when a guard wasted their reflects during the non-add phase to protect from said arrows.

You’re assuming that the guardians you’re pugging with actually have reflects or even know that such skills exist on their profession. I’ve met some pretty bad guardians pugging fractals.

Try pugging sub-10 or 10 for daily and you may even get ppl rage quitting at swamp.
Have no clue abut 48, I am just entering 30s, but I found the 20s pug groups to be much better than in lower lvls. I was kinda hoping the trend would be continuing upwards :S

It was in a 48 yesterday that I got the guardian that wouldn’t talk and wouldn’t use reflects, even in the grawl boss fight. There are some pretty bad people pugging 48.

I get decent pugs all the time for 48. IDK how you keep getting bad ones or are you just very picky?

Wouldn’t say I’m picky. I think I should be able to complete one fractals session (including maw) in under 4 hours. Yesterday I had a 3.5 hour session that ended up failing and getting no end rewards. The time before that was similar. Yes, when I get lucky enough to have some competent people I’m aware that I can speed through often in under an hour (depending mostly on dredge.) I have not been getting those kinds of groups. People should know that reflects exist. People should talk sometimes to the rest of the team. People should have more than zero agony resist before they attempt a fractal at 48. Is stuff like that asking too much?

I play in oceaning WvW guild primarily and it’s hard to do high level fractals with people I know. I would do L48 Fractals with you if you want, currently sitting at 45 AR (haven’t bother trying for 40+ fract so no point in increasing my AR. I main a Serker Warrior for fractals.

What time (server) do you usually run. I sometimes play in the morning in EST so I might be able to run with you in (your) evening.

(edited by Havana.8625)

Posted by: Upham.6137

Upham.6137

Don’t worry, you’ll go back to pugging lvl 30 in a couple of weeks.

-.-

Bläck Dähliä