High LVL Fractals and Vitality

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Rick.5781

Rick.5781

Is vitality necessary for very high level fractals (40-70), or are pure berserker builds still viable? Im about to start crafting some ascended weapons and armor and want to know if I should go pure berserkers (thats my current build) or mix in some vitality and toughness. I play a ranged ranger if that matters.

Im only at level 31, with 35 AR, so Im not sure if my dying is due to not having enough AR, or if the mobs just do that much more damage. Im also not sure how enemy damage will scale as the levels continue to increase.

Posted by: Ariete.6509

Ariete.6509

Would 30AR be sufficient for 30+ or do i have to wait 6 more days, get my second acessory to even try?

Sorry to hijack the thread but my two cents are that the general conseus is zerk all the way, best defense is not being there plus agony hits per health percentage so more vit helps very little.

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

I Don’t think you will survive in full zerk as a ranger in Dredge fractal (i hate this one so much!) especially at that level.

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

Zerk is even better for higher level fractals usually.

If I remember correctly, 30AR was fine for 30 fractals. I did them with less AR when I first went through the 30’s, but that was also before instabilities.

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

Is vitality necessary for very high level fractals (40-70), or are pure berserker builds still viable? Im about to start crafting some ascended weapons and armor and want to know if I should go pure berserkers (thats my current build) or mix in some vitality and toughness. I play a ranged ranger if that matters.

Im only at level 31, with 35 AR, so Im not sure if my dying is due to not having enough AR, or if the mobs just do that much more damage. Im also not sure how enemy damage will scale as the levels continue to increase.

Vitality, if anything, hurts much more than it helps in all fractals. The higher you go the less viable all gearsets, except berserker, become. Its caused by trash mobs becoming so strong that they’ll kill you in one hit even if your in full sentinels so the theory is to kill them as fast as possible. Also if your having survivability problems, its probably not due to AR as your only taking 6% per tick. Instead try practicing dodging and meleeing. For the most part meleeing greatly increases survivability in the long run.

Would 30AR be sufficient for 30+ or do i have to wait 6 more days, get my second acessory to even try?

Sorry to hijack the thread but my two cents are that the general conseus is zerk all the way, best defense is not being there plus agony hits per health percentage so more vit helps very little.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/AR 30 AR is more than sufficient for 30-39 although it stills hits for 12% per tick

Posted by: Titanimite.2534

Titanimite.2534

Please for the love of god…in PvE you should be running full zerker and use say Weakness for example to survive. Weakness will increase your survivability a great deal (more so than toughness) and not decrease your damage whosoever. There are plenty sources of it especially if you have Warriors in the group or with consumables.

Also, on ranger you should not be running a bow or bear as this is extremely counter productive and I would honestly kick you just for that if you were in my group.

On the wiki there is a chart with what AR is required to survive at what level. 35 AR from 30-39 should be plenty.

Actually vitality and toughness DO NOT help against agony period. Agony takes a percentage of HP.

I Don’t think you will survive in full zerk as a ranger in Dredge fractal (i hate this one so much!) especially at that level.

You are just wrong plain and simple conditions and boons we’re invented for a reason.

(edited by Titanimite.2534)

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

Please for the love of god…in PvE you should be running full zerker and use say Weakness for example to survive. Weakness will increase your survivability a great deal (more so than toughness) and not decrease your damage whosoever. There are plenty sources of it especially if you have Warriors in the group or with consumables.

Also, on ranger you should not be running a bow or bear as this is extremely counter productive and I would honestly kick you just for that if you were in my group.

On the wiki there is a chart with what AR is required to survive at what level. 35 AR from 30-39 should be plenty.

Actually vitality and toughness DO NOT help against agony period. Agony takes a percentage of HP.

Just adding not only does vitality not help in fractals against agony buy it hurts, because you will take more damage from agony (ex. 10%of12,000=1,200 10%of22,000=2,200 damage per tick) and will have to heal more frequently.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

Posted by: Rick.5781

Rick.5781

Im aware that agony is unaffected by vitality, I just wasnt sure if I was dying due to having low vitality, or having low AR. Boss attacks that hit hard tend to also inflict agony damage, so I wasnt sure if it was the agony or the increase in mob damage that was killing me. Levels 20 and below are a joke due to taking no damage from agony. During the aetherblade fractal I dont even really need to worry about avoiding the laser walls due to the damage from one hit being insignificant.

As for using bows, I didnt play a ranger to use a sword, thats why I have a warrior. I play my ranger to stay at range, because you know, thats what I find fun.

Titanimite.2534

Im aware that agony is unaffected by vitality, I just wasnt sure if I was dying due to having low vitality, or having low AR. Boss attacks that hit hard tend to also inflict agony damage, so I wasnt sure if it was the agony or the increase in mob damage that was killing me. Levels 20 and below are a joke due to taking no damage from agony. During the aetherblade fractal I dont even really need to worry about avoiding the laser walls due to the damage from one hit being insignificant.

As for using bows, I didnt play a ranger to use a sword, thats why I have a warrior. I play my ranger to stay at range, because you know, thats what I find fun.

My suggestion:
-first, use a glassy build, Brazil has the best build I’ve seen use it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGtY69tcek

-second, learn to use a sword and melee no one wants to ranging in fotm and pushing the mobs away the mesmer stacked so we could burst them down. I can not stress enough how much this kitten es me off. If I so much as see a ranger with a bow he’s gone. Sides it plays far different from Warrior and bring a ton to your team if you don’t like this playstyle bring a different class into fractals and play your ranger elsewhere.

-third, fractals scale and trash gets stronger vit and toughness will not save you. Learn to use evades (plenty of them in Brazil’s build) and weakness from your Warriors and consumables. Also, don’t hurt yourself by facetanking attacks that will eventually have heavy agony damage you will not make it very far if you do (fotm 40 & 50 anyone?). Learn to jump over the wall n kite around in a circle like everyone else (bow would be fine here)

-fourth, you have a great deal of resources out there at least give it a try to see if you like it before you start QQing because you asked for help and someone told you ranger sucked. Ranger in Brazil’s build especially with GS has insane survivability who knows you may like it.

(edited by Titanimite.2534)

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Thats all well and good, put if you want to keep progressing in high level PVE you have to adapt to the meta builds which are all full DPS melee, unless you find a group of friends that doesnt care. You could just use your warrior for fractals and youre ranger for whatever else.

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Clumsy.6257

Then you better be prepared to get kicked out of any and all parties/guilds that tend to be able to do dungeons/fractals with ease.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Then you better be prepared to get kicked out of any and all parties/guilds that tend to be able to do dungeons/fractals with ease.

And then post a complain thread on the forum.
Anyway, I think it was already discussed ad nauseam, what’s the point of taking 15k damage instead of 18k, when you’re going to die in both cases?

Titanimite.2534

^ exactly, I would kick you just for having a bow equipped or a bear out or even if you didn’t have frost spirit or spotter as these are the only reasons to bring a ranger over another class.

Posted by: Nosoyelarty.7268

Nosoyelarty.7268

Yeah, if you don’t care about being useful to your team you can just go full pvt and sentinals to increase your survivability.

Clumsy.6257

^ exactly, I would kick you just for having a bow equipped or a bear out or even if you didn’t have frost spirit or spotter as these are the only reasons to bring a ranger over another class.

If you want to get down to the math, then a ranger isn’t worth taking at all. Parties would be much better off just grabbing another elementalist for 2 more fgs. It really comes down to the fact of people liking you.

deSade.9437

My team really, really likes me. Rite?

Titanimite.2534

If you want to get down to the math, then a ranger isn’t worth taking at all. Parties would be much better off just grabbing another elementalist for 2 more fgs. It really comes down to the fact of people liking you.

You are correct, but that is situational. For example, if you don’t have a wall and no teleport FGS damage is less than my auto attack and if you have a boss that reflects heavily like Lupi frost spirit and spotter will ensure the mesmer crits on every hit.

But for fractals your absolutely correct ranger is not worth taking whatsoever much rather have an ele or a engi for vuln.

Amineo.8951

Ok so go glass cannon build and get murdered during the ‘’sitting in buttons’’ phase of dredge fractal and have fun being down in less than 2seconds in full zerk, remember that you can’t dodge there and blind doesn’t work, reflection won’t work for melee dredges too, don’t get me wrong berserker is master race in any other PVE content (except world bosses since you can’t crit them so crit chance and crit dmg are useless) but here it’s not useful until the boss.

Clumsy.6257

Ok so go glass cannon build and get murdered during the ‘’sitting in buttons’’ phase of dredge fractal and have fun being down in less than 2seconds in full zerk, remember that you can’t dodge there and blind doesn’t work, reflection won’t work for melee dredges too, don’t get me wrong berserker is master race in any other PVE content (except world bosses since you can’t crit them so crit chance and crit dmg are useless) but here it’s not useful until the boss.

Thats why a lot of people will recommend that people new to zerker carry a set of w/e tank gear they prefer for situations like that. Although once you get used to running full berserker then its more than easy to survive that event in it.

Titanimite.2534

Actually yes it is, have you heard of blocks while on a button? How about reflects on /Axe #5. Healing Spring much? Plus there is such a thing as an Invis kit that is consumable…problem solved. Stop trying to justify your poor playing.

Amineo.8951

So not playing all the time in zerk stuff is poor playing to you? I guess people here that only plays Berserker stuff don’t know anything about fun in this game. I play Berserker but not all the time because it’s boring, the game is already easy enough so why making it even easier? Oh yes of course because all people wants here is: MONEY MONEY MONEY!

Titanimite.2534

So not playing all the time in zerk stuff is poor playing to you? I guess people here that only plays Berserker stuff don’t know anything about fun in this game. I play Berserker but not all the time because it’s boring, the game is already easy enough so why making it even easier? Oh yes of course because all people wants here is: MONEY MONEY MONEY!

Yes that is playing poor, you are missing the point. In fractals you get hit so hard by trash mobs that PVT will not keep you alive with the number of trash mobs in the dredge fractal….for any fractal for that matter. If your going to facetake mobs like that then yes you are playing poor and you suck in general.

Money is nice but I just get tired of carrying people like you through fractals and dungeons who claim to know what they are talking about but cannot deliver or try to slip by it just does not cut it. There is no reason whatsoever to ever run anything other than berserkers or assassins in PvE period.

Clumsy.6257

I love how people like you assume that people using full berserkers aren’t having fun. We could argue that your having less fun by not running it. You don’t get to watch a boss’s hp literally melt.

Amineo.8951

Of course it’s not fun because the boss isn’t doing anything if you kill it very fast, in fact you kill the challenge, the only boss that was a challenge even if people were running berserker was Nightmare Tree in TAFU, people were crying saying it’s too hard where it wasn’t, i did it first time back in August with 2 level 60+ rangers in rare stuff, 1 guardian and a Ele, and you know what? They weren’t berserker, so please stop saying guys that berserker is always the solution when sometimes it’s not, another example i could give is Tequatl where most people are running soldier.

Posted by: blessing nosferatu.3784

blessing nosferatu.3784

while facetanking in pvt is really challenging.

[rT]

Clumsy.6257

You didn’t play GW1 did you? If you did you would know that I, like the majority of people who are advocates of full berserker, enjoyed the GW1 endgame which happened to be speedclearing different dungeons/areas as fast as possible. In fact, the entire game was based around how fast you could accomplish something. So full berserkers has a solid 8 year history of why its more fun.

Titanimite.2534

Of course it’s not fun because the boss isn’t doing anything if you kill it very fast, in fact you kill the challenge, the only boss that was a challenge even if people were running berserker was Nightmare Tree in TAFU, people were crying saying it’s too hard where it wasn’t, i did it first time back in August with 2 level 60+ rangers in rare stuff, 1 guardian and a Ele, and you know what? They weren’t berserker, so please stop saying guys that berserker is always the solution when sometimes it’s not, another example i could give is Tequatl where most people are running soldier.

Oh please you have no clue what you are talking about. TA F/U was done naked many times and is literally a DPS race and groups sucked so bad because they we’re bad players and couldn’t do it because they were running junk builds and not zerkers.

I’ve killed Teq 4 times now with zerker gear without dying. They only picked Soldiers because they aren’t good enough to survive and the fight takes so long which is the principle of how Soldiers works.

Stop using false logic to justify your poor playing ability and understanding of the game. We are talking about fractals and none of these examples are related to the topic at hand. But in general, yes everything in PvE can be done in Berserker gear and this is literally the best option in every scenario. The game rewards speed clearing and fighting in melee but if you want to play a different way fine but you will not make it 5 minutes in my groups and will have to live with 3 hour fractal runs.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If done properly, you could stand there naked and not need to just eat the attacks. It’s just that a lot of people were so used to dying on the switches, they either forgot or never learned the real mechanic.

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

If done properly, you could stand there naked and not need to just eat the attacks. It’s just that a lot of people were so used to dying on the switches, they either forgot or never learned the real mechanic.

Wait wait wait wait….wait. Face tanking an army of dredge isn’t the mechanic? Aren’t you supposed to face tank? FACE TANK ALL THE THINGZ! That’s how you play right?

#ClericsGear #NewMeta

Zelendel

(edited by Tentonhammr.7849)

Posted by: Shisehise.3154

Shisehise.3154

You guys are rude, it’s just a game you know, people play how they want, you can’t force them to play like how YOU want, i play what i want to play for fun, but you guys seems to be upset and elitists here so i’m not going to argue any longer with you because you’re stupid. It’s like those people wanting 5k AP Warriors when i saw 12k AP Warriors in my group yesterday that couldn’t run in arah p1 and ragequitted in the end because they were too bad skipping Drakes and Oozes, yet we failed because a mesmer aggro all of the champions instead of one small group.

oh my.

Why are they stupid? It sounds like you are the one who is upset. They are posting about how you are not contributing as much as a player who has skill/knows the encounter/builds to be optimized.

What does 12k AP warriors that couldn’t run Arah p1 have to do with ANYTHING? You can run most of the runs in arah naked with the correct weapon skills and utilities just by not getting hit. You brought this example up outta nowhere and it actually contradicts what you said. If they “do what they want”/“play how they want to play” then by your example they are selfish enough to just build for personal survivability.. doesn’t that mean they have way MORE of a chance to be able to survive the Arah P1 run than a skilled player running full berserkers + scholar, the glassiest armour + rune combo in the game?

Same thing for the mesmer.. you are just “stupid” because you shouldn’t call him out and let him “play as he wants” by making BIG mistakes that COST and kitten the team and pulling all the champions because it’s “more fun than having to spend sitting and learning the game you are already playing”.

EDIT: I just realized you said “you are just Like Those People” in Arah p1 that have 12k achievement points and ragequit after dying at runs, and pull champions"

man, so much unnecessary flame when in actuality, these are the kinds of people that learn the game and can run most of the runs in Arah naked by being out of combat for the whole run and if they can’t, then it is pretty close- they get hit by 1-2 attacks through the runs, or are working towards it.

(edited by Shisehise.3154)

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

You guys are rude, it’s just a game you know, people play how they want, you can’t force them to play like how YOU want, i play what i want to play for fun, but you guys seems to be upset and elitists here so i’m not going to argue any longer with you because you’re stupid. It’s like those people wanting 5k AP Warriors when i saw 12k AP Warriors in my group yesterday that couldn’t run in arah p1 and ragequitted in the end because they were too bad skipping Drakes and Oozes, yet we failed because a mesmer aggro all of the champions instead of one small group.

No, you failed because you could not deal with all the entities at the same. There are groups that do so with ease. Most likely they also run berserker/assassin, but that is another story.

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

Guys, guys, look at the gem I just found behind the corner.

Healing power is only good in PVE, in PVP and WvW you will suffer from conditions and poison will rip your healing to pieces and since you have kitten damage you will die in the end, otherwise the blessed build is better than yours, it has more vitality.

I want to believe that we are falling to the most masterful ruse yet.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They’re saying that you get hit so hard in higher levels that no amount of toughness or vitality will save you. Therefore, toughness and vitality stats are wasted and you may as well put your stats into zerkers.

To zerker experts — if you were a dev, how would you modify encounters so that zerker is not necessarily king?

TKiller.6829

They’re saying that you get hit so hard in higher levels that no amount of toughness or vitality will save you. Therefore, toughness and vitality stats are wasted and you may as well put your stats into zerkers.

To zerker experts — if you were a dev, how would you modify encounters so that zerker is not necessarily king?

Given what GW2 is, non-max damage builds are only useful against constant dps. Conditions are more useful against high defence/permanent protection monsters, but then you are building for max dps again, with more emphasis on hybrid/condition damage.

Basically, if you want to force players to use survivability gear, you need to make boss attacks unavoidable – non-projectile ranged attacks or constant melee attacks with boss shadowsteping/being too fast to kite ranging. Which is quite the definition of anti-fun if you ask me.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Given what GW2 is, non-max damage builds are only useful against constant dps. Conditions are more useful against high defence/permanent protection monsters, but then you are building for max dps again, with more emphasis on hybrid/condition damage.

Basically, if you want to force players to use survivability gear, you need to make boss attacks unavoidable – non-projectile ranged attacks or constant melee attacks with boss shadowsteping/being too fast to kite ranging. Which is quite the definition of anti-fun if you ask me.

Zerker gear is (generally) not optimal in WvW so it’s certainly possible to have fun/interesting encounters where zerker is not favored. Unfortunately if Anet moves away from zerker = king, then we’ll have to grind for more types of gear — a terrible thought.

TKiller.6829

Zerker gear is (generally) not optimal in WvW so it’s certainly possible to have fun/interesting encounters where zerker is not favored. Unfortunately if Anet moves away from zerker = king, then we’ll have to grind for more types of gear — a terrible thought.

It’s not optimal because you’re much more likely to take damage in any PvP of sorts. I just described you PvE encounters which would do the same thing to you. Simplified down, but I did.

Then again it’s quite possible to WvW in berserker gear if you watch your surroundings well, but at least there is room for discussion. In PvE to make non-max damage gear more useful than max damage one, you’d have to lessen the usefulness of the dynamic part of the game.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

The whole combat system would need to be built from scratch, if you wanted to achieve such a thing.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Change aggro so the aggro is predictable and controllable. Add constant, unavoidable dots that require party healing to overcome.

Guess what that game sounds like? every other MMO ever.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

deSade.9437

Guys, guys, look at the gem I just found behind the corner.

Healing power is only good in PVE, in PVP and WvW you will suffer from conditions and poison will rip your healing to pieces and since you have kitten damage you will die in the end, otherwise the blessed build is better than yours, it has more vitality.

I want to believe that we are falling to the most masterful ruse yet.

Good boy, nice catch.
Just wanted to make sure nobody misses this gem.

Amineo.8951

Yes nobody will miss me indeed, because you just waste your time searching all my posts and think you would make me nervous by making fun of me, nice job.

Posted by: Rainweaver.7302

Rainweaver.7302

But I thought facetanking PTV didn’t work because high fractals enemies will still hit you too hard?

blessing nosferatu.3784

But I thought facetanking PTV didn’t work because high fractals enemies will still hit you too hard?

It depends on fractal level, smart guy.

[rT]

Posted by: Rainweaver.7302

Rainweaver.7302

It depends on fractal level, smart guy.

This whole topic is about high level fractals.

blessing nosferatu.3784

What do you mean with high fractals?30+?40+?

Yes, you can facetank in pvt at 30/40+ but that doesn’t mean is any good while you can dodge/block/reflect/ccs/weakness/protection doing 5x dps in a full zerk team.

Facetanking has nothing to be proud of.

Edit: oh, i forgot to add blind in case you don’t have enough stuff to survive.

[rT]

(edited by blessing nosferatu.3784)