HoT Economy Blog

HoT Economy Blog

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Not saying I like the change (I like to farm dungeons for cash)…but there is some serious hypocrisy going on here. You guys say the dungeon community LOVEs dungeons in one breath then say it will kill the community in another just because they nerf the monetary reward? If you really like doing an activity the monetary reward being slightly nerfed isn’t going to affect it.

Yall just whining you aint got easy money no mo.

It might have something to do with being the most recent shaft in a long line of shafts to dungeon runners. It’s hard enough to find a good group to play this stale-kitten content. Take away the motives, and well…bye bye community.

What’s left of it anyways.

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Speaking of SW, the value of each champ bag deteriorates greatly due to the popularity of the farm. When it was firstly introduced, you can make easily 200 g in 3-4 hours by abusing it. As soon as the chest map is organized and more people make trains, the gold income drastically drops to the point of only 10 silver per champ bag. It’s a sign that the economy balances the value and influx of gold by this farm and it’s not as unhealthy as we made it to be. (Actually, I’m quite grateful to the chest farmers for bring down the atrocious price of T6 mats that reigns high at 45-70 silvers a piece for months). With the new map rewards, I speculate this farm is gonna die down as it no longer maintains a high reward/hour ratio. Maybe the Orr farm will come back more strongly than ever with Charged Lodestone and Giant Eyes are in the loot table now. Who knows…

This is not how econemy works sry.
Money (of any kind), and in gw2 that is gold only have a value due to what you can get for said gold.

So, by lovering the gold from dungeons and making more people do SW or other farms that mainly provide materials, then that simply mean that the value of gold will go up compered to what we can buy for said gold (deflation). This is the opposit of what we have mainly been seeing (inflation). Now I am going to assume that Anet have some numbers to support this change and that they simply want to reduse the inflation that we have seen so far, but.. the track record of anet is sadly not giving me a lot of hope.

This is exactly what J.S. mentions in his blog post.

The major concern that we’re sure to face is the specific intent of dungeons as a gold-generating activity. To that effect, let’s talk about map rewards.

Map rewards are specific, tangible rewards you receive from playing on a map. They allow players to balance overpriced items as well as seek specific materials for their personal goals without constant uncertainty. Map rewards are pretty great but are a constant enemy of scarcity. Map-reward materials can no longer be overpriced for any extended period of time because players now have the power to push the supply when needed. This shifts the power from the supplier of a rare good to the buyer, because the buyer now has the option to refrain from buying and still achieve goals, which is what we wanted.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Not saying I like the change (I like to farm dungeons for cash)…but there is some serious hypocrisy going on here. You guys say the dungeon community LOVEs dungeons in one breath then say it will kill the community in another just because they nerf the monetary reward? If you really like doing an activity the monetary reward being slightly nerfed isn’t going to affect it.

uhhh, no.
I love drawing
i also want to get paid for it.

also dungeons are not the best gold per hour, and are time limited.

point is, now, even more than before, dungeons will be even less effecient at achieving any of the goals in gw2, other than getting dungeon specific armor.

HoT Economy Blog

phys.7689

Speaking of SW, the value of each champ bag deteriorates greatly due to the popularity of the farm. When it was firstly introduced, you can make easily 200 g in 3-4 hours by abusing it. As soon as the chest map is organized and more people make trains, the gold income drastically drops to the point of only 10 silver per champ bag. It’s a sign that the economy balances the value and influx of gold by this farm and it’s not as unhealthy as we made it to be. (Actually, I’m quite grateful to the chest farmers for bring down the atrocious price of T6 mats that reigns high at 45-70 silvers a piece for months). With the new map rewards, I speculate this farm is gonna die down as it no longer maintains a high reward/hour ratio. Maybe the Orr farm will come back more strongly than ever with Charged Lodestone and Giant Eyes are in the loot table now. Who knows…

Money (of any kind), and in gw2 that is gold only have a value due to what you can get for said gold.

So, by lovering the gold from dungeons and making more people do SW or other farms that mainly provide materials, then that simply mean that the value of gold will go up compered to what we can buy for said gold (deflation). This is the opposit of what we have mainly been seeing (inflation). Now I am going to assume that Anet have some numbers to support this change and that they simply want to reduse the inflation that we have seen so far, but.. the track record of anet is sadly not giving me a lot of hope.

The major concern that we’re sure to face is the specific intent of dungeons as a gold-generating activity. To that effect, let’s talk about map rewards.

Map rewards are specific, tangible rewards you receive from playing on a map. They allow players to balance overpriced items as well as seek specific materials for their personal goals without constant uncertainty. Map rewards are pretty great but are a constant enemy of scarcity. Map-reward materials can no longer be overpriced for any extended period of time because players now have the power to push the supply when needed. This shifts the power from the supplier of a rare good to the buyer, because the buyer now has the option to refrain from buying and still achieve goals, which is what we wanted.

which ignores the concept of people who like earning gold in dungeons actually not wanting to run map based activities because they find them less entertaining?

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Evapor.6849

Evapor.6849

Well with all the thought that was put into the icebow nerf I expect these rewards will get the same treatment, tldr blogpost “We removed the rewards from dungeons please stop doing them and do faceroll content like map farming and silverwastes instead”

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

which ignores the concept of people who like earning gold in dungeons actually not wanting to run map based activities because they find them less entertaining?

Which ignores the fact that people who loves to hoard Gold and spend on nothing is but a fraction of the economy and several more actually farms dungeon gold for their x numbers of legendary weapons and high-end stuffs?

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Which ignores the fact that people who loves to hoard Gold and spend on nothing is but a fraction of the economy and several more actually farms dungeon gold for their x numbers of legendary weapons and high-end stuffs?

So you’re cool with open world PvE being the only worthwhile thing to do if you actually want to buy something?

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

This is why I never look forward to changes on this game. There are always strings attached.

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

I think my most favorite part is that the whole meta/zerk culture of running dungeons as fast as possible in the least amount of time possible has created a sort of gold/hr generation that ultimately lead to the reward being moved to other areas that can’t be completed as fast.

A close second are those who bring up the Silverwastes but don’t seem to understand that’s gold generated from the player economy (IE: Existing pool of money) and not gold generated out of thin air contributing towards inflation.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

If they significantly nerf the dungeon rewards, it’d be a pretty bad move, in my opinion.

The dungeon rewards definitely need to be rebalanced to take into account dungeon data run averages since the new reward system was first implemented.

But something like removing all of the guaranteed gold rewards would be pretty bad. Mainly because, for the general community, it will be hard to find players for dungeons if there is no monetary reward for them anymore. I wouldn’t be surprised if, after this update, given how much more rewarding the rest of the game is, the average player won’t be able to find a pickup group for a random dungeon. To me, that’s a real shame.

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Sigfodr.9576

Sigfodr.9576

Yes, This is what I feared, the ideer is good. But that logic only work in a sustem where we all start from 0. Only problem there is that some of us already have a nice pile of gold and then it is a whole other thing.

It seems end goal is forcing people to do everything and not just focus on the part of the content they find fun. I can see the logic in this from one point of view, but I dont like being forced to do anything

HoT Economy Blog

cranos.5913

A close second are those who bring up the Silverwastes but don’t seem to understand that’s gold generated from the player economy (IE: Existing pool of money) and not gold generated out of thin air contributing towards inflation.

That’s beside the point. If they wanted to keep dungeons viable for daily play and handle inflation they could’ve easily changed/replaced rewards, instead they’re just removing. This has jack kitten to do with inflation and is just aimed at getting rid of dungeons.

HoT Economy Blog

phys.7689

dungeons are not the most effecient means of earning gold
it goes
tp playing>open world cheese farms>dungeons

they really just want to kill the gold faucet of dungeons, and no one at arenanet cares about dungeons anymore, so no ones going to stop em.

you are basically saying dungeons shouldnt even be viable as means for getting anything except dungeon armor and gifts for legendaries.

HoT Economy Blog

phys.7689

This is why I never look forward to changes on this game. There are always strings attached.

yep strings attached, or twisted versions of what people wanted

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: redzerofighter.2381

redzerofighter.2381

Reducing the rewards coming from dungeons? What’s the point then of doing them?

At this point this is just saying that people who intended to farm money from dungeons should just go to SW. At this rate, SW would probably yield more money over time, unless you have a stellar group of 5 that you can run with and speed clear all the dungeons. But, not everyone has access to that.

In my opinion, ANET should just change the rates for getting gold in dungeons. AC is simple yet yields a deal of gold compared to other paths, except Arah. I feel that dungeons should just scale up in gold reward based on level. Otherwise, dungeons are just going to be for the skins, and if that’s the case, might as well just play PvP to get the skins you need.

As someone stated earlier, I entirely agree that the current influx of our economy is partly due to people who have a huge sum of gold (talking like over 10k+ gold). Those players can easily influence our current economy, no matter how you look at it.

Umi Sonoda
Guild leader of Love Live [Maki]
Ferguson’s Crossing [NA]

HoT Economy Blog

Kodiak.3281

Yes, This is what I feared, the ideer is good. But that logic only work in a sustem where we all start from 0. Only problem there is that some of us already have a nice pile of gold and then it is a whole other thing.

It seems end goal is forcing people to do everything and not just focus on the part of the content they find fun. I can see the logic in this from one point of view, but I dont like being forced to do anything

All the map reward system is open up a third route to get items. Right now you got a choice between farm whatever drops an item or farm gold and buy the item. That’s it. The new map system gives you a third route by letting you farm a map’s events and what not and get those rewards.

The biggest impact this has is on items that weren’t easily farmed before we now have a reliable way to farm them. A great example is Silver Doubloons. Your only two choices to reliably get these are to park level 20ish alts at a JP Chest and farm it or go farm equivalent gold and just buy it from those that do. The map reward system opens a third path, grinding the specific map for rewards instead.

However the previous two options still exist. You can still go farm Silver Doubloons in chests on lower alts. You can still go farm Gold and outright buy them instead…just not from dungeons haha

Kodiak X – Blackgate

HoT Economy Blog

Kodiak.3281

That’s beside the point. If they wanted to keep dungeons viable for daily play and handle inflation they could’ve easily changed/replaced rewards, instead they’re just removing. This has jack kitten to do with inflation and is just aimed at getting rid of dungeons.

They are doing exactly that, though. They are changing/replacing the rewards and moving them elsewhere. They didn’t specify where those rewards are going. They also only mentioned reducing (not removing) the liquid (gold) rewards for doing dungeons and again moving them elsewhere. What that means specifically and where they moved them to we’ll likely not see until 10/23.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Cant say im upset about this. I dont even have the motivation to do arah anymore.

And i agree rewards should be shifted into raids and fractals and away from dungeons. Though i would hope arah retains some decent level of rewards.

keep in mind you did it to death. What about new or lapsed players? How easy will it be to even attempt dungeons when the rewards no longer encourage people? eh well, whatevs,

Exactly, there are still countless of veterans or new players who don’t find dungeons easy or are good at them. It’s not like it’s easy content, it’s just that we practiced them and they are easy to us. Just like level 50 fractals to me are easy even though they are the highest level. Raiding will eventually be the same way. Just as every other pve content.

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Well how else do you expect them to move HoT units? if you aren’t going to offer content to make people want to switch you need to make things so unbearable they’ll have to buy.

Honestly not surprised at all. RIP all of you who got excited and pre-ordered. It literally never works out well for the gamer does it?

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

HoT Economy Blog

cranos.5913

They are doing exactly that, though. They are changing/replacing the rewards and moving them elsewhere.

No they’re not. They are JUST moving them, there’s nothing new coming to dungeons instead.

And please, we all know those rewards won’t go to fractals, so that just leaves open world.

HoT Economy Blog

phys.7689

Its actually kinda funny.
They started off like
awesome new map rewards! more rewarding gameplay! faster materials gain!

then in the fine print
we will be reducing gold earning activities, and material earning activities.

Essentially the goal of the economy is that players never actually get ahead. Just keep you a hamster on the wheel.

unless you play the tp.

HoT Economy Blog

phys.7689

They are doing exactly that, though. They are changing/replacing the rewards and moving them elsewhere.

No they’re not. They are JUST moving them, there’s nothing new coming to dungeons instead.

And please, we all know those rewards won’t go to fractals, so that just leaves open world.

i doubt they are even going to move them, they are going to focus on material rewards over gold.

HoT Economy Blog

cranos.5913

i doubt they are even going to move them, they are going to focus on material rewards over gold.

No doubt, but I don’t necessarily mind that. My beef is with that there will be literally no incentitive to do any instanced content on a daily basis. From what I read fractal playtime will be reduced to the 1 worthwhile “island” you need for the daily chest and now dungeons… It just sucks honestly. I was actually looking forward to the xpac for a while.

HoT Economy Blog

Eight Samurai.6840

No doubt, but I don’t necessarily mind that. My beef is with that there will be literally no incentitive to do any instanced content on a daily basis. From what I read fractal playtime will be reduced to the 1 worthwhile “island” you need for the daily chest and now dungeons… It just sucks honestly. I was actually looking forward to the xpac for a while.

No I think they said 3 a day if I’m not mistaken.

HoT Economy Blog

cranos.5913

3 tiers, but let’s face it, for fractal frequenters the only decent one is going to be 51-100. Even if what you say is true, it’s still less then 1 current frac 50.

HoT Economy Blog

phys.7689

eh well the economy/item design team end result has always been to suck the fun out of the game, they just are trying to get better at it.
the future seems like progress will be focused on daily limitations

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

dungeons are not the most effecient means of earning gold
it goes
tp playing>open world cheese farms>dungeons

they really just want to kill the gold faucet of dungeons, and no one at arenanet cares about dungeons anymore, so no ones going to stop em.

you are basically saying dungeons shouldnt even be viable as means for getting anything except dungeon armor and gifts for legendaries.

Isn’t PvP better for both of those already?

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Evapor.6849

Evapor.6849

MMO devs these days like to appease the players that can barely play for 10minutes a week it only makes sense to reduce the amount of playtime needed and make the rewards easier to get for those players. kitten this piece of kitten game

HoT Economy Blog

Eight Samurai.6840

3 tiers, but let’s face it, for fractal frequenters the only decent one is going to be 51-100. Even if what you say is true, it’s still less then 1 current frac 50.

So, does that mean you should only go up one fractal a day to get the reward if you are at 50 now?

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I don’t necessarily hate the idea of gold deflation because it benefits me a lot, but I do hate it when things don’t feel rewarding. I’m more than happy to lose gold from dungeons if I get T6 or other relevant items instead. I’m happy if it ends up like the SW farm where you’ll get items that translate to value… But I doubt it’ll be like that. This is a real shame.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Prisoner.2419

Prisoner.2419

All is vain :(

Even less incentive to log in after this goes through, ugh.

HoT Economy Blog

cranos.5913

So, does that mean you should only go up one fractal a day to get the reward if you are at 50 now?

From what I gather there’s a list of islands that count for the daily, so you can’t just do a daily swamp, so you’ll prob need more levels unlocked. But dw, leveling up to 100 will take a week at most. (And only because it’s most likely gated behind leveling up the mastery.)

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I don’t see any issue. Though I never really cared about virtual rewards.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

HoT Economy Blog

Eight Samurai.6840

But on the bright side this video was made…

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Icewolfnector.1487

Icewolfnector.1487

Well hurray, instead of doing dungeons which were at least somewhat engaging, our only option to get what we want now is to mindlessly run in a zerg and spam 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 on the ranged weapon of our choice….
I honestly feel like throwing up over this “great change”.

HoT Economy Blog

Eight Samurai.6840

I also noticed that the devs only respond to either BWE feedback or fluff topics on the forums (mostly) so don’t expect a response about this from Anet, unless it gets more traffic.

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Oh my god this is amazing

@Wethospu: Dungeons always were a decent source of income for if you wanted to gear up or just buy yourself something nice. Getting less funds from dungeons could mean that you’re going to have a harder time crafting ascended gear, or at least it’s going to take longer

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Kakapo.5230

Kakapo.5230

If the gold rewards are going to be nerfed, there needs to be a significant increase in the token rewards to compensate.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

HoT Economy Blog

Eight Samurai.6840

Oh my god this is amazing

@Wethospu: Dungeons always were a decent source of income for if you wanted to gear up or just buy yourself something nice. Getting less funds from dungeons could mean that you’re going to have a harder time crafting ascended gear, or at least it’s going to take longer

The fact that they posted this on the bottom on an economy post says it all. They don’t want people seeing this, and this will most definite NOT fix the economy. Dungeoners are just Anet’s go-to scapegoat.

HoT Economy Blog

Wethospu.6437

No worries, I don’t like crafting either.

HoT Economy Blog

Eight Samurai.6840

Well look at you mister non materialistic fancy pants! “oooooh look at me I don’t like fancy things!” That’s what you sound like.

HoT Economy Blog

Wethospu.6437

Good.

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Is your Warrior still a living rainbow in chain mail?

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

HoT Economy Blog

Wethospu.6437

All my characters are rainbows. I’m that fancy.

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

If the gold rewards are going to be nerfed, there needs to be a significant increase in the token rewards to compensate.

I don’t see how that will make up for the way this will further depopulate dungeon runs, although it will at least provide a little cushion for folks still skin farming or working on current legendaries.

Perhaps they might consider a diminishing returns model with the gold too rather than killing it at a flat rate across the board.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Sigfodr.9576

Sigfodr.9576

I don’t see how that will make up for the way this will further depopulate dungeon runs, although it will at least provide a little cushion for folks still skin farming or working on current legendaries.

Perhaps they might consider a diminishing returns model with the gold too rather than killing it at a flat rate across the board.

PvP is already faster then dungeons for both tokens and skins.

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

Anyone who thinks ArenaNet is going to really support fractals with new content at this point are pretty delusional. ArenaNet won’t support them.

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Ylvina.6749

Ylvina.6749

jep. fractals get an lvl increase to 100 and thats it.. its like the aether path. one new thing and then let it die. but hey, in 5 years we get something new and fancy, like uhm.. MEGA-RAIDS! you need a full zerg of 180 people to do em

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I really do not understand their logic for removing dungeon rewards. It is a very well developed and popular part of the game. There is absolutely no need to pigeonhole people into Raids or Fractals. They do not even have to touch dungeons and just have it as casual instanced content.

HoT Economy Blog

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Hear ye, hear ye – this is the end of dungeons.

Anet has finally found a way to “fix” the problem of dungeons being “farmed” by speed runners that are evil and run zerker gear and created the zerker meta.
They also found a way to “fix” dungeons having bugs and general issues.

How? They took away the incentive to do them for most players who run them – effectively making sure less people play them and thus less people see the issues or bother with metas and whatnot – they are sweeping dungeons under the rug – throwing them into obscurity.

Is it the right move? Probably – given their goal to move people out and have the “hardcore” farm elsewhere.
Thus began the end of dungeons – which will ultimately be of no real relevance.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”